Chris Jones Appreciation Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Chris Jones Appreciation Thread

I know we've already had a thread about this guy, but he is just making plays right now at a level I never would have expected.  Another sack and 2 more TFL yesterday.  I would love to see what this guy could do if he was playing next a healthy Vince.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: Chris Jones Appreciation Thread

Like Phil Simms said, I'll bet Houston and Tampa are wishing they didn't drop him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

Like Phil Simms said, I'll bet Houston and Tampa are wishing they didn't drop him.

Yeah.  I guess BB saw something in him as he tried to grab him off waivers the first time.  He must have been on our draft board for a late round flier.  He really needs to be plopped next to a bigger guy that can stuff the run like Vince (he and Vellano get blown up a bit), but he has made some nice plays in the backfield against the run despite the inconsistencies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

He's doing a nice job...really low player...great effort and hustle. It would of been great if he could of rotated in on passing downs, instead of having to carry the load because of the injuries.

To the person saying he is better than Sheldon Richardson...I think Belichick would strongly disagree with you on that. In fact weren't the Patriots very interested in him? Be nice if we had a Sheldon Richardson and Wilkerson, so we could have Jones rotate in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

What's not to like about the kid?  Unfortunate that his chance for major playing time comes at the expense of an injury to one of the top players on the team but the kid is making the most of the opportunity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Things will be better when Tommy Kelly gets back. I think Chris Jones and Kelly will be a good combination. Both will be able to get to the QB or penetrate into the backfield. Vince was a great run stuffer but wasn't much of a threat pressuring the QB. When Kelly gets back the whole front four should be able to generate pressure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Like Jones quite a bit, but agree that right now the Pats defensive achilles is stopping the run. Jones and Vellano are getting blown off the ball at an alarming rate. Agree that beside Kelly or Vince, things improve immensely, but I still feel the team needs another big body.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

season ends today, Richardson is top 1-3 DROY. Jones is a nice story that still needs to make the team next year if the PAts address the DL in the draft and free agency

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I for one can't believe how well this kid has played. I certainly didn't expect him to contribute as much as he has. Speaking for myself i honestly thought this kid was  a JAG. Very glad to be wrong hope he continues to play as well as he has.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jones has been better than I thought so far. I still cringe watching him defend the run up the middle at times but he does have the ability to push the pocket. I want to see if he can keep developing because if he can then he's going to become an excellent sub rusher. Still not sure if I'd trust him as a full time starter yet but I think he's become what we had seen in Pryor without the injures. Now if we can get someone to plug the holes on running downs as at times there have been some pretty massive ones up the middle

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Any time you have a Vince Wilfork go out of your lineup there's going to be a decline.  The patch work DL has been doing great and a big part of that is Jones.  A nice find indeed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Love him and Vellano. 2 great finds

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Vince who?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

He's doing a nice job...really low player...great effort and hustle. It would of been great if he could of rotated in on passing downs, instead of having to carry the load because of the injuries.

To the person saying he is better than Sheldon Richardson...I think Belichick would strongly disagree with you on that. In fact weren't the Patriots very interested in him? Be nice if we had a Sheldon Richardson and Wilkerson, so we could have Jones rotate in.

I said he is outproducing richardson which is a fact.

Are you talking about stats? Because you run around here all day long saying stats are meaningless...unless of course they help your argument, then stats are A OK! Right rust?

And hopefully you're not talking about sacks, because you always tell all of us sacks are meaningless...unless of course it fits your argument.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Sheldon Richardson...37 total tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 FF

chris jones....25 total tackles, 4.5 sacks....he has played in 4 less games than Richardson 

if you normalize the stats based on games played, jones according to stats has been more "productive"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I like Chris Jones as a situational rusher, even as a #2 DT next to a big monster like Wilfork or Kelly, but the Jets are the #1 run defense in the NFL and Richardson has been a big part of that.  

Chris Jones is solid against the run but certainly not dominant, he can be moved by an all pro guard, center or a double team, Vellano gets absolutely blown up.  

We can beat the Dolphins because they can't pass protect at all, we'll have trouble with better, more balanced teams unless we get Kelly back or someone else emerges.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Jones and Vellano both have good motors.  While they aren't as strong or athletic as elite DTs, they  don't give up on plays and they shed blocks pretty well, which allows them to get to the play.  It's a very different style, though, than we're used to with Wilfork.  Wilfork is powerful and relatively athletic for his size, so he almost demands double teams and can control them when he gets them. Jones and Vellano are not guys who can handle double teams (as Wozzy says, Vellano in particular), so our D line has to play a different style than it's accustomed to playing.  It's one reason Spikes is now such a critical player.  He's really playing a big role reinforcing the middle of the line. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I like Chris Jones as a situational rusher, even as a #2 DT next to a big monster like Wilfork or Kelly, but the Jets are the #1 run defense in the NFL and Richardson has been a big part of that.  

Chris Jones is solid against the run but certainly not dominant, he can be moved by an all pro guard, center or a double team, Vellano gets absolutely blown up.  

We can beat the Dolphins because they can't pass protect at all, we'll have trouble with better, more balanced teams unless we get Kelly back or someone else emerges.

Agree. I think the dline will be much improved when Kelly returns. Kelly and jones will be a nice pairing inside with vellano as depth. 

given this league is largely a passing league, what combo do you like inside from this perspective? Do you take Kelly off on 3rd and long, or maybe use all 3 of them?  

I like the motor and quickness of the youngsters . It's very different from anything we have seen from the pats wide bodies of late.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Agreed on this Jones kid and Vellano too.  Seems like neither hits the measurables of an NFL DL size-wise as both are on the smallish side, but they both make up for it in other ways.    If Kelley comes back and can help to make up for the loss of VW I will feel much better about the DL, but these two guys are interesting players and have played as well as could be expected. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

Things will be better when Tommy Kelly gets back. I think Chris Jones and Kelly will be a good combination. Both will be able to get to the QB or penetrate into the backfield. Vince was a great run stuffer but wasn't much of a threat pressuring the QB. When Kelly gets back the whole front four should be able to generate pressure.

+2

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

In response to dfitzp's comment:

+2

This is completely wrong, just because it takes two blockers to neutralize Wilfork and he doesn't get a lot of sacks doesn't make him a bad pass rusher.  Even the best guard/centers in the NFL like Nick Mangold pick and choose when to single team him, and often they get burned.  

He is the initial focus of every offensive line when he is on the field, without pressure inside, without the ability to push the pocket back into the QB's face, the outside speed rushers don't get the chance to collect all the glory.  

With Jones and Vellano starting at DT we have to send the house to get sacks, this works against the Dolphins, it will be less successful against the best teams and the best QB's who can read pressure and find their open man quickly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

simply said, Wozzy is correct

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

And good looking too...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He's been a very solid find.

Sections
Shortcuts