Chris Jones Appreciation Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Re: Chris Jones Appreciation Thread

Vince is close to 400LBS and is past 30?  What about my post was wrong? Vince is a great DT but he is not and never was a serious threat to get to rhe QB. And his play this year was below his usual standards. He is great at taking on double teams and holding his ground. Chris Jones is a different player. He has to be because he is barely over 300LBS. He uses strenght and quickness. He may end up with double digit sacks this year. And when Kelly gets back we get a bigger more athletic guy on the DL and it should help in both the run game and pressuring the QB. The Pats need to address a big DT in the draft. Vince isn't getting any younger or healthier. He suffered a major injury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

Vince is close to 400LBS and is past 30?  What about my post was wrong?

Vince hovers around 345 pounds and always has, he has always been double teamed by teams that don't have an all pro guard/center to match up with him, including this season.  Even if he doesn't sack the QB he gets close, often pushing the lineman trying to block him back into the QB's face (see butt-fumble play for reference) and because of his play and that of Kelly our defense was the best in the NFL to start the season.  

Since his exit we have given up season highs in rushing and sacks have slowed, especially early in games when we don't have the luxury of a lead.  Vince is getting older, he has an injury, I've been campaigning for us to draft a DT for about 5 years or longer, it doesn't mean Vince is bad all of a sudden.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Ask Matt Birk what happens when you try and single block Wilfork.  The guy had a huge impact on the pass rush even if he wasn't racking up sacks himself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

BB wants 2 gap DT's in this defense. Vince and Kelly can play 2 gap....simply put, both Jones and Vellano cannot. They can both shoot one gap, but when they do that they leave the defense very vulnerable against the run...yes, sometimes shooting one gap works, but the Pats ranking against the run is due to Kelly and Vince both out...Jones and vellano are not capable of filling in for those 2 in this defense...

For what it is worth, I understood BB's comments of "dont go fishing when you have fish", as a direct reply regarding Ratliff, who also plays a similar 1 gap that Jones and Vellano bring.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to dfitzp's comment:

Vince is close to 400LBS and is past 30?  What about my post was wrong?

Vince hovers around 345 pounds and always has, he has always been double teamed by teams that don't have an all pro guard/center to match up with him, including this season.  Even if he doesn't sack the QB he gets close, often pushing the lineman trying to block him back into the QB's face (see butt-fumble play for reference) and because of his play and that of Kelly our defense was the best in the NFL to start the season.  

Since his exit we have given up season highs in rushing and sacks have slowed, especially early in games when we don't have the luxury of a lead.  Vince is getting older, he has an injury, I've been campaigning for us to draft a DT for about 5 years or longer, it doesn't mean Vince is bad all of a sudden.

How do you know Vince hovers around 345 and always has??? That guy is much closer to 400 than 345. And I agree with your statement that Vince pushes the oline back into the QB. He is great at what he does, but he is not much of a threat to sack the QB. Vince has 16 career sacks in 10 yrs. My point was that Chris Jones is by no means Vince Wilfork, he is a different player. But he does get to the QB much better than Vince as evident by 4.5 sacks in 5 games. His is not near the run stopper Vince is. But the run defense should be better when Tommy Kelly gets back, and maybe we can get a boost from Armstead.

Sections
Shortcuts