Chris Kluwe Open Letter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Chris Kluwe Open Letter

I didn't realize he was so eloquent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-kluwe/an-open-letter-to-emmett-burns_b_1866216.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: Chris Kluwe Open Letter

In response to anonymis' comment:

Just FYI - This letter is pretty old news and from September of 2012. The MD General Assembly passed the law in February 2012 and it was approved by statewide referendum in the November 2012 elections. Same sex marriage took effect in January 2013. 

Oddly, MD was the first state in the union to define marriage as between a man and a woman back in the 70s which effectively banned same sex marriage. With this new law, MD became the first state to pass same sex marriage by popular vote.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to EnochRoot's comment:

Just FYI - This letter is pretty old news and from September of 2012. The MD General Assembly passed the law in February 2012 and it was approved by statewide referendum in the November 2012 elections. Same sex marriage took effect in January 2013. 

Oddly, MD was the first state in the union to define marriage as between a man and a woman back in the 70s which effectively banned same sex marriage. With this new law, MD became the first state to pass same sex marriage by popular vote.

I didn't realise that. Thanks. I was sort of being sarcastic because he seems to take swearing to a new level....lol.

I wonder why it just went "viral"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Youre right it's not a racial thing but more that has to do with religious belief. I believe in God and try to live a clean life (not so succesful but i try) but i dont think we should try to control people's lives. If they want to marry then they should be allowed to. Some of these super religious people need to learn how to worry about themselves.

yep

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't think sports players, actors or musicians should use their level of celebrity to further any agenda.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Go tell that to Abe Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, JFK, or heroes like a Jackie Robinson, Willie O'Ree or MLK. These people are leaders and heroes who lived in principle.  That's just a few examples of heroes who broke barriers and either led by example or promoted civil and equal rights.  There are many examples. Cesar Chavez is another, and he's not even black.

The job of a politician is to further agenda.  Dur.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I don't think sports players, actors or musicians should use their level of celebrity to further any agenda.

just out of curiosity, why not?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Equal rights or civil rights is "an agenda"?  You sound like J. Edgar Hoover. He was one creepy guy.  He liked men and dressed up in his mommy's close, was angry and lashed out. Hmm.

In a thread in which you are defending gay rights, you bash Hoover for being gay.

You are a cartoon.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

A guy writes good songs, or hits a baseball well.  That doesn't make his opinion on a subject important.  If they want change, they should drop their current profession and get into politics.  The actors are the worst.  See:  Sean Penn or Jane Fonda.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

A guy writes good songs, or hits a baseball well.  That doesn't make his opinion on a subject important.  If they want change, they should drop their current profession and get into politics.  The actors are the worst.  See:  Sean Penn or Jane Fonda.

I understand the perspective.  On the other hand, "politicians" are supposed to advocate on behalf of it's constituents.  I don't get the impression that they truly do that - rather, they listen to big business.

Maybe some of these entertainers speak for the little people.  One example may be Sinead O'Conner. She was fairly outspoken about the Catholic church, pretty much lost her career because of her public statements. She was clearly ahead of her time..imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Problem with Jane Fonda

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Problem with Jane Fonda

can't argue with that logic :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Problem with Jane Fonda

Apparently you don't know anyone who went to Vietnam or we're POWs there. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

It's called activism. Are you saying there are people who may and there are people who should not exercise activism?

Famous people have a mic. They believe in something. They have freedom of speech. Why should they not use their mic and their freedom to advocate for what they believe in?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Problem with Jane Fonda

Yeah like Vietnam is all Jane's fault.  Was she the one napalming children or carpet bombing villages.  It was a *hit war run by morons.  God bless her bravery in  speaking out, long before it became politically correct to do so.  She is a true American our forefathers would be proud of. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow, hang on.  I don't want to turn this into a discussion of our beliefs about the Vietnam War.  I figured everyone hated Jane Fonda.  My error.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Wow, hang on.  I don't want to turn this into a discussion of our beliefs about the Vietnam War.  I figured everyone hated Jane Fonda.  My error.

She's alot easier to take when she has no clothes on.

Just saying.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Problem with Jane Fonda

Yeah like Vietnam is all Jane's fault.  Was she the one napalming children or carpet bombing villages.  It was a *hit war run by morons.  God bless her bravery in  speaking out, long before it became politically correct to do so.  She is a true American our forefathers would be proud of. 

God bless her for being solely responsible for the torture of Jerry Driscoll    True American hero. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

sorry, my comment re: Fonda was not intended to disrespect all veterans who have served this country. The Vietnam era was a pretty polarizing time for veterans - caught between two extreme sides/viewpoint on war in general.  Not saying one is right/wrong - but viewpoints certainly came to a head.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

You forgot Clint Eastwood.  I'm sure it was an oversight.  Or is your concern primarily with outspoken actors from the left side of the spectrum?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Umm, no it's not. It's to serve their constituents and create legilsation to help society as a conduit between gov't and the consituents.  Did you graduate high school?

The agenda is that of their constituents.  They futher that agenda by...oh forget it.

Wow, even in straight forward politics, you know nothing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Umm, no it's not. It's to serve their constituents and create legilsation to help society as a conduit between gov't and the consituents.  Did you graduate high school?

The agenda is that of their constituents.  They futher that agenda by...oh forget it.

Wow, even in straight forward politics, you know nothing.

That's not what an agenda is.  An agenda is a very narrow set of ideological goals.  An entire constituency cannot have an agenda because no constituency has a uniform ideology.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

That's not what an agenda is.  An agenda is a very narrow set of ideological goals.  An entire constituency cannot have an agenda because no constituency has a uniform ideology.

The politician isn't too concerned with the people in his district that are on the other side of the aisle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to fatsam72's comment:

You forgot Clint Eastwood.  I'm sure it was an oversight.  Or is your concern primarily with outspoken actors from the left side of the spectrum?

Had my list been longer than two people, this statement would have made sense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Problem with Jane Fonda

God bless her for being solely responsible for the torture of Jerry Driscoll    True American hero. 

Completely fabricated story.

False Claims

It is not true, as this e-mail claims, that Jerry Driscoll, a former POW in Vietnam, suffered career-ending double vision from a beating he allegedly received from his captors after Fonda visited. Driscoll, who has said he never met Fonda, has denied for years that the scenario described in the e-mail ever happened. In 2005, the Star Tribune of Minneapolis reported him saying:

Star Tribune, May 25, 2005: "Totally false. It did not happen," Driscoll said.

Held almost seven years, Driscoll has negative feelings about Fonda because of her visit, but he wasn’t beaten because of her and can see just fine. After all, he flies corporate jets now, after retiring as a pilot from the Air Force and later American Airlines.

"I don’t know who came up with [my] name. The trouble that individual has caused me!" he said, referring to the time he has spent repeatedly denying the persistent myth.

It also is not true that Fonda gave North Vietnamese guards little pieces of paper with the Social Security numbers of American POWs on them that supposedly resulted in the beatings of former POW Larry Carrigan and three others.

Since e-mails like this one began circulating in 1999, Mike McGrath, a former POW and director and historian of the Nam-POWs, has been denying that there were any beating deaths as a result of Fonda’s visit:

Star Tribune, May 25, 2005: Carrigan, 64, is so tired of having to repeat that he wasn’t beaten after Fonda’s visit and that there were no beating deaths at that time that he won’t talk to the media anymore, said Mike McGrath, a retired Navy pilot held for almost six years and historian of the nonprofit NAM-POWs veterans group. McGrath, 65, of Colorado, also said there were no known beating deaths of POWs after 1969. All known POWs in North Vietnam were released early in 1973.

"We don’t want to be party to false stories, which could be used as an excuse that her real actions didn’t really happen, either," McGrath wrote in a 1999 rebuttal to the e-mails, when he was president of NAM-POWs. 

FactCheck.org

Sections
Shortcuts