Chris Simms joins Belichick’s staff!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Chris Simms joins Belichick’s staff!!

Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald reports that former Titans and Bucccaneers quarterback Chris Simms has joined the Patriots’ coaching staff.

Simms’ title is not yet known, but he’s believed to be taking an entry-level position. Simms has a strong connection to Bill Belichick. Chris’ father, Phil, was the Giants’ starting quarterback when Belichick coordinated New York’s defense under Bill Parcells.

A third-round pick in the 2003 draft, the 31-year-old Simms spent five seasons in the NFL. He finished his career with a 7-9 record and 12:18 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

In May of last year, Simms was acquitted of charges of driving under the influence of marijuana when his friend took the fall.

i think in the end he will work with young QB he might
    be at the end a qb coach

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Chris Simms joins Belichick’s staff!!

I noticed this last night. I wasnt sure what to think of it at first. On one hand he is the son of a QB who played for the Gaints and has won SB. So maybe B.B. think Chris has some of that knowledge from dad and combined with his playing experience would make a good coach.

Or...B.B. just needed a new weed connect! 

Probably just gonna learn the ropes. B.B. is doing Phill a favor. Simms probably still loves the game and his career was cut short. He will be an extra thrower, clip-board holder, Bradys 2nd set of eyes, etc.  Maybe in 3 years he is the new O-coordinator??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Maybe his dad will go easier on the Pats in the booth now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Seems like a favor to Phil more then anything else. The kid gets to stay in the NFL a little longer and gets a shot at proving he could eventually become a coach. He might be taking the McDaniels route in the end but I'm sure this is primarily BB tossing Phil a bone

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I always thought Phill showed great admiration for B.B. and the Pats.

He will tell like it is, but he is always talking good about the organization....I thought

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Simms joins Belichick’s staff!!:
    [QUOTE]Seems like a favor to Phil more then anything else. The kid gets to stay in the NFL a little longer and gets a shot at proving he could eventually become a coach. He might be taking the McDaniels route in the end but I'm sure this is primarily BB tossing Phil a bone
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

PE,
    While I do think the link to Phil helped his chances (it's all about who you know/referrals are important in the coaching industry or most big business industries for that matter), I'd have a hard time believing that BB would bring someone onto his staff that wasn't serious about the game of football vs. hiring him primarily as a favor to Phil. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The way our coaching staff gets scavenged Simm's boy will probably be a head coach in 3 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Simms joins Belichick’s staff!! : PE, While I do think the link to Phil helped his chances (it's all about who you know/referrals are important in the coaching industry or most big business industries for that matter), I'd have a hard time believing that BB would bring someone onto his staff that wasn't serious about the game of football vs. hiring him primarily as a favor to Phil. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Oh I doubt BB would hire him unless he had the capability, but at the same time I doubt he'd get a job if he wasn't Phil's boy to begin with.

The reason why I say that is because he doesn't have an official title yet. So, they haven't found a spot for him yet. He's a JAG coach at this point. If they had a specific role for him in place then they would announce that role.

Like I said I think he might be smart enough and be capable to be a coach, but in order to even get a shot he might of had to pull some strings and they'll find a spot for him when they see what his capabilities are

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Too bad the way his career went, he showed real promise his rookie year, but his appendix problem plus the lack of talent around him really derailed him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

No problem with this, and most of the time the best coaches end up being guys who had some tallent but had to work for what they got skill wise and that is Chris. I hope he excells not only for the Patriots but for him. That spleen issue could have killed him (simmilar to Bledsoes injury).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Phil Simms has shown that he is as good a networker as he was as an NFL QB. We know about son, Chris but he has also done alot for his youngest son, Matt.

Matt Simms starred at Don Bosco Prep in Ramsey, NJ throwing 6,000 yards and 60 TD's in 3 seasons, appeared in the Army-All America Bowl and went to U Louisville. After a Freshman year marijuana/under age drinking bust he rode the bench. Quickly it became apparent he wasn't going to go anywhere at Louisville so Phil stepped in and set him up at El Camino JC where he got some experience and got his career back on track. Next stop Dad got him to SEC basement dweller, U Tennessee who needed a QB. Matt won the job and started the first 8 games in 2010 completing 58% of passes for 1,460 yards, 8TD/5 interceptions and then lost it to true freshman, Tyler Bray. Bray was injured in 2011 and Matt took over again only to lose the job to another true freshman after 2 games. Outside of playing with Denarius Moore in 2010, the teams sucked.  Unfortunately, he finished with ugly stats in 2011 (0 TD's and 3 interceptions in 2 starts) while playing against top competition: #1 Alabama and #2 LSU. Personally, I have seen the kid throw and he has talent (strong arm, accurate and can make all the throws) but it is not the kind of rare talent that allows him to transcend a bad team. Anyways, he is now elegible for the draft so I am curious what Phil and Matt have in mind next? Canadian football league? A behind the scenes NFL free agent tryout? Coaching? Broadcasting? I would enjoy seeing him succeed in pro ball but one only gets limited chances even with a well connected Dad in a ever-accelerating, hyper-competitive enviornment.

By the way, this parallels the life of Joe Montana's oldest son, Nate Montana who was networked by Dad to Notre Dame, Community College, back to Notre Dame and finally to U Montana where he is now graduating as a 3rd string QB.
    Younger son, Nick Montana just left Steve Sarkisian and U Washington to get playing time at a Junior College this coming Fall before heading back to a Division 1A school in 2013. The jury is still out on him, but Dad will be involved no matter what happens. .....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Too bad the way his career went, he showed real promise his rookie year, but his appendix problem plus the lack of talent around him really derailed him

Actually he had his spleen blown out. Lost 5 pints of blood and almost died. Tough tough kid.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm sure whatever job he's given it will be at the internship level.Likely he'll be involved with the QB's/WR's just like Ferentz was until last year when he moved on to the TE's. He could start out like McDaniels did in the film room breaking down tendancies of the upcoming opponents for BB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Matt Simms Signs with the Jets

[QUOTE]Phil Simms has shown that he is as good a networker as he was as an NFL QB. We know about son, Chris but he has also done alot for his youngest son, Matt. Matt Simms  starred at Don Bosco Prep in Ramsey, NJ throwing 6,000 yards and 60 TD's in 3 seasons, appeared in the Army-All America Bowl and went to U Louisville. After a Freshman year marijuana/under age drinking bust he rode the bench. Quickly it became apparent he wasn't going to go anywhere at Louisville so Phil stepped in and set him up at El Camino JC where he got some experience and got his career back on track. Next stop Dad got him to SEC basement dweller, U Tennessee who needed a QB. Matt won the job and started the first 8 games in 2010 completing 58% of passes for 1,460 yards, 8TD/5 interceptions and then lost it to true freshman, Tyler Bray. Bray was injured in 2011 and Matt took over again only to lose the job to another true freshman after 2 games. Outside of playing with Denarius Moore in 2010, the teams sucked.  Unfortunately, he finished with ugly stats in 2011 (0 TD's and 3 interceptions in 2 starts) while playing against top competition: #1 Alabama and #2 LSU. Personally, I have seen the kid throw and he has talent (strong arm, accurate and can make all the throws) but it is not the kind of rare talent that allows him to transcend a bad team. Anyways, he is now elegible for the draft so I am curious what Phil and Matt have in mind next? Canadian football league? A behind the scenes NFL free agent tryout? Coaching? Broadcasting? I would enjoy seeing him succeed in pro ball but one only gets limited chances even with a well connected Dad in a ever-accelerating, hyper-competitive enviornment. By the way, this parallels the life of Joe Montana's oldest son, Nate Montana who was networked by Dad to Notre Dame, Community College, back to Notre Dame and finally to U Montana where he is now graduating as a 3rd string QB. Younger son, Nick Montana just left Steve Sarkisian and U Washington to get playing time at a Junior College this coming Fall before heading back to a Division 1A school in 2013. The jury is still out on him, but Dad will be involved no matter what happens. .....
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

Rex gave Matt Simms a tryout and has signed him to a free agent contract to compete with McElroy for the 3rd spot on the Jets roster. Personally, I am surprised he got signed after a difficult 2011 season at Tennessee where he lost his 2 starts contributing  0 TD's and 3 interceptions to losses to Alabama and LSU. Given Tenn's poor offensive line and lack of running game it became hard to say if it was Matt or the team's fault. In any case, this is his opportunity to prove himself. Possible his only shot at the NFL. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Simms  = Polarizing

Fans either think he's a Pats -stooge ... or a Pats basher .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe his dad will go easier on the Pats in the booth now.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

LOL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Seems like a favor to Phil more then anything else. The kid gets to stay in the NFL a little longer and gets a shot at proving he could eventually become a coach. He might be taking the McDaniels route in the end but I'm sure this is primarily BB tossing Phil a bone
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] +1. this is called priveliged welfare and nepotism. hey the poor deserve nothing, cuts for everyone, its all about merit, they must earn their way.. hey phil, have your boy call me up based on your connnections to me and parcells and what phil  personally labored for. dont forget the legendary matt simms, he with the lousy college record and who started only 2 games last year before stinking up the joint and being benched AGAIN. rexy just took a flyer on him and he's likely to stick. dont forget these 2 rich man welfare stories when someone tells you we must all earnm it from our own merit and bootstraps and the government should not pick sides and only pick the 1% because phil simms is going to talk on behalf of your son.. yep right!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Chris Simms joins Belichick’s staff!!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Simms joins Belichick’s staff!! : +1. this is called priveliged welfare and nepotism. hey the poor deserve nothing, cuts for everyone, its all about merit, they must earn their way.. hey phil, have your boy call me up based on your connnections to me and parcells and what phil  personally labored for. dont forget the legendary matt simms, he with the lousy college record and who started only 2 games last year before stinking up the joint and being benched AGAIN. rexy just took a flyer on him and he's likely to stick. dont forget these 2 rich man welfare stories when someone tells you we must all earnm it from our own merit and bootstraps and the government should not pick sides and only pick the 1% because phil simms is going to talk on behalf of your son.. yep right! Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE] Well, he was a QB....in the NFL. I would venture to say that probably makes him more qualified than many other entry level guys he'll meet. What did Mangigni do to get hired? liked football. If you go to Bill and say I have 5000 posts on Boston.com can I get a job? Maybe you get one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Simms joins Belichick’s staff!! : +1. this is called priveliged welfare and nepotism. hey the poor deserve nothing, cuts for everyone, its all about merit, they must earn their way.. hey phil, have your boy call me up based on your connnections to me and parcells and what phil  personally labored for. dont forget the legendary matt simms, he with the lousy college record and who started only 2 games last year before stinking up the joint and being benched AGAIN. rexy just took a flyer on him and he's likely to stick. dont forget these 2 rich man welfare stories when someone tells you we must all earnm it from our own merit and bootstraps and the government should not pick sides and only pick the 1% because phil simms is going to talk on behalf of your son.. yep right!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

I wish to echo Commie comments about the message we are sold: you have to earn your way but people with privileges and connections can use those while they tell us to work harder! I guess the world has always had that contradiction? 

The Matt Simms story is a curious one. How much talent does Matt have vs. how much nepotism or favoritism is in place? Matt has had a lot of advantages that the normal Joe QB from suburban Bergan County, NJ would not have. Playing in an HS All American bowl, playing musical colleges at Louisville, El Camino JC and Tennessee to make sure he got playing time all orchestrated by his dad. I think he throws a good ball and he was well liked in the Tennessee locker room but would a QB who only played 2 games his senior year and completed 0 TD's and 3 interceptions in those games really get an NFL tryout? To Matt's credit he did enough to get signed to a free agent deal but is that Rex getting publicity for the team in a low cost way via the Simms name? I predicted Matt would get a tryout but I am a bit surprised he got signed to the deal! There are lots of QB's in the country that can make all the throws while standing there in shorts in practice but successfully running the team and making good decisions under pressure during a game with 325 pound guys coming at you is the real test! Can Matt do that? I guess we shall see... ?