Christmas for Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Christmas for Brady

Dolphins have Marshall now. Jets have Holmes. We are hoping Brandon Tate lives up to the hype and Moss is in his final year. Welker is out for awhile.

There's a chess game going on. We need to make a move that gets Brady another top tier receiver. Period. What if Tate goes down with an injury? The Patriots have to grab a great receiver in this draft now. Marshall and Holmes are head cases but, there's no denying they are going to do big things this year. We've got to have a secondary that is able to contain them too. I mean, BB must be erasing things on the draft board right now and going through Sharpies like crazy.

I'm starting to rethink the draft now anyways. If Denver uses it's pick on a receiver then could Maurkice Pouncey slide to 22? Our OL would be improved greatly and now perhaps we grab a RB in round 2. Jahvid Best anyone? Then we grab a receiver where there should be plenty of good ones left. After that? All defense except for a 4th round QB project we need to have.

Crap. I haven't had any coffee yet. Still, this is shaping up to be a interesting draft considering the moves in the AFC East. I happen to think there are soooo many good players that will be available in the 2nd round and that BB could package a trade along with a 2011 Number 1 for maybe 2 other 2nd rounders or at least a high 3rd rounder. Imagine 4 picks in the 2nd round and a high 3rd round pick too? We could stock up. OK, I'm done....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Christmas for Brady

I'm not sure going O for all but 1 of our first 5 picks is the right way to go. Though I agree we need a WR I see pass rush as the biggest need right now. Lets face it the Jets and Phins weakest point is the QB and if we can get to them then those new weapons of theirs won't matter to much. I'm thinking go D both on the line and in the LB core with 2/3 of the first picks, get a WR with the other and a OL with thelast 2nd. With the 4th go for a bigger catching TE that can block or a nickle CB (depending on the best talent available at that point) and get projects for the rest. That shoud help a lot more then an upgrade at center and rb

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

So far, Brady has nothing in his stocking. Mebbe after the draft and before the season starts he'll find some lumps of coal. If the Patriots apply enough pressure...mebbe those pieces of coal will turn into diamonds........lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I personally do not think you draft according to your opponents moves.  Now of course overall you do look at who you play and what you need to do to stop them and score on them but I think it is more a scheme question as to how you stop teams and less about individual players.

Now I have been saying all along there are two ways to win you stop the other team from scoring and the other you out score the team you are playing and technically there is a third where you do a little of both.

Looking at our weaknesses and the drafts strengths I think you can develop the draft in two directions. First if you want to pick players where we are and not move up your looking at likely DE/OLB at 22 and then you look for RB, WR, OL for at least two of those third round picks then the third you take a CB NOT A SAFETY THOUGH!, or a DT/DE.

Now looking at the needs I think we will see the Patriots do a lot of moving around. I also would not be shocked at all if they traded one of their 2011 1st rounders for a 2010 first rounder and then if they did that it makes sense to me to move #22 back to beginning of second round and also adding a 3rd and 5th.

If they did that then it would make sense to move #44 for a 2011 1st rounder.

And we haven't even gotten into moving the 6th and two 7ths that can be moved and I think are definately going to be moved. I would move the 6th for a 5th in 2011 and the two 7ths for a 6th this year. that is what I would try to do.

All I know is this draft is so deep at the positions we need help at the most DT, DE, OLB, OL, TE  that there will be some solid players taken in the 4th and 5th even. If we want a WR or RB that will likely be able to start we need to get them before we are outside the second round. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I know were all talking draft mostly but the secondary market on Free agents that will start in June I think will be a deep one with some solid players available there.

THis could be the year we pick up a guy like we did Vrabel that turns out to be a very solid starter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

Brandon Graham/Kyle Wilson- 22
    Sergio Kindle/Jerry Hughes/Damrious Thomas-44
    Jahvid Best/Damian Williams-48
    Aaron Hernendez/Eric Decker/ Patrick Robinson-53

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Christmas for Brady:
    I know were all talking draft mostly but the secondary market on Free agents that will start in June I think will be a deep one with some solid players available there. THis could be the year we pick up a guy like we did Vrabel that turns out to be a very solid starter.
    Posted by DaBlade

That's a possibility but you can't rely on that. This draft will be huge in which direction the Pats will head. Will they go back to the balanced O and D they had in 03 and 04 or go all O like in 07. Personally I see BB wanting to head back towards a control O and a smart talented D. Building up the line and putting possession WR's will give Brady the time to pick apart the D with shorter 5-15 yard passes once again. Then getting a solid pass rush forces the other team to take shorter passes and make plays, like our old bend but don't break defenses use to do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I personally do not think you draft according to your opponents moves.  Now of course overall you do look at who you play and what you need to do to stop them and score on them but I think it is more a scheme question as to how you stop teams and less about individual players. Now I have been saying all along there are two ways to win you stop the other team from scoring and the other you out score the team you are playing and technically there is a third where you do a little of both. Looking at our weaknesses and the drafts strengths I think you can develop the draft in two directions. First if you want to pick players where we are and not move up your looking at likely DE/OLB at 22 and then you look for RB, WR, OL for at least two of those third round picks then the third you take a CB NOT A SAFETY THOUGH!, or a DT/DE. Now looking at the needs I think we will see the Patriots do a lot of moving around. I also would not be shocked at all if they traded one of their 2011 1st rounders for a 2010 first rounder and then if they did that it makes sense to me to move #22 back to beginning of second round and also adding a 3rd and 5th. If they did that then it would make sense to move #44 for a 2011 1st rounder. And we haven't even gotten into moving the 6th and two 7ths that can be moved and I think are definately going to be moved. I would move the 6th for a 5th in 2011 and the two 7ths for a 6th this year. that is what I would try to do. All I know is this draft is so deep at the positions we need help at the most DT, DE, OLB, OL, TE  that there will be some solid players taken in the 4th and 5th even. If we want a WR or RB that will likely be able to start we need to get them before we are outside the second round. 
    Posted by DaBlade

I am in agreement with all you said here. But, Brady needs to be protected better IMO and have more time in the pocket. He needs more weapons and we are 1 injury away from a very mediocre corps. My own thoughts are that we should take advantage of this years depth in the draft and trade a No1 pick from 2011. Package AT and Maroney along with it. We can get Anthony Dixon as a big north-south runner. We can get Golden Tate. I tell you, forget the naysayers who say Rennie Curran is too small and grab him. He's going to be a big surprise to a lot of people! We need a project QB without question. John Skelton is a big, strong QB who has tons of potential.

I agree that we don't draft according to opponents moves. But, we need to be able to score points. A bruising running game with young RB's. Protect Brady. Protect Brady. Beef up the OL. There will be good CB's, safeties and OLB's in the latter rounds.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Christmas for Brady : I am in agreement with all you said here. But, Brady needs to be protected better IMO and have more time in the pocket. He needs more weapons and we are 1 injury away from a very mediocre corps. My own thoughts are that we should take advantage of this years depth in the draft and trade a No1 pick from 2011. Package AT and Maroney along with it. We can get Anthony Dixon as a big north-south runner. We can get Golden Tate. I tell you, forget the naysayers who say Rennie Curran is too small and grab him. He's going to be a big surprise to a lot of people! We need a project QB without question. John Skelton is a big, strong QB who has tons of potential. I agree that we don't draft according to opponents moves. But, we need to be able to score points. A bruising running game with young RB's. Protect Brady. Protect Brady. Beef up the OL. There will be good CB's, safeties and OLB's in the latter rounds.
    Posted by mrbungle

I don't get where you think we weren't good offensively last year. We were ranked as a top 5 offense. Though I agree with Welker being out we need another big WR threat and some more OL depth, Vollmer being a full time starter is going to help a lot. The one glaring soar point last year was the pass rush. Our top 2 rushers last year were Burgess and TBC (5/10 sacks against Buf). Rebuilding our rush will also improve our secondary. As it stands if we add 1 more WR I can see us averaging around 21-24 points a game which if we had a better rush I believe we can limit other teams to under 17 points a game. I know 07 was incredable and everyone wants to get back to a high powered O but defense is needed more, esp with the pass happy rules lately and that 2 division rivals just improved their WR core. I think fixing the glaring hole from last year is more important then trying to out score everyone and hope we can hold out. How many times last year did we lose in the last 5mins after being up?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Moss is a top tier receiver. Edelman filled in well for Welker, and Welker is on the way to recovery. Tate will be better this year as well, and possibly emerge as a big time threat.

Why should we try to match what they are getting? We should try to counter it instead, and by doing so that will help one of our biggest weaknesses: Pass rush.

Both the Dolphins and Jets have young inexperienced QBs. Why not get a pass rush so we can put pressure on these young guys and force them to make some mistakes?

I think pass rush is what the team should address first. After that would come TE, OL, LB, and then WR.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

So far, Brady has nothing in his stocking. Mebbe after the draft and before the season starts he'll find some lumps of coal. If the Patriots apply enough pressure...mebbe those pieces of coal will turn into diamonds........lol
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

Shouldn't The Tate Group be here suggesting Tate(rs) for Brady's stocking?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

I think if the Pats sign T. Holt and some way trade up to get Dez Bryant, the WRs would be set. Wes will be back towards the end of the season. Tate is going to be better and Julian is going to be nice in the slot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

We need a PASS RUSHER!!!

Bottom line......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

[QUOTE]So far, Brady has nothing in his stocking. 

I don't know I think Tom's stocking is filled out very nicely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

In Response to Re: Christmas for Brady : [QUOTE]So far, Brady has nothing in his stocking.  I don't know I think Tom's stocking is filled out very nicely.
    Posted by HRK103

LOLOLOL filled very nicely, i want some of his santa magic

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I understand people wanting a pass rusher but also, look at it this way. If the Pats win a Super Bowl, it is far more likely to be thanks to Tom Brady's arm then a pass rusher. Getting to the other team's QB is nice, but if they can't score points of their own, it doesn't matter. The Patriots SHOULD get a pass rusher, but they should also build around their best player.
    Posted by FishTaco64

In 01, 03, 04 the Pats O was good but not great but their D was easily the best assest. In 07 it flipped and it got them to the SB but the D couldn't hold out. I feel you don't build around the best player you build the team around the best overall team. Yes Brady needs another threat but D is the glaring weak point. Fix it and you'll help Brady out by getting him on the field more often and holding the leads he gives you. Shorter fields and lower opponent scores help Brady just as much if not more in the end than an extra td each game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In 01, 03, 04 the Pats O was good but not great but their D was easily the best assest. In 07 it flipped and it got them to the SB but the D couldn't hold out.

The D held the Giants to 3 points for 3 quarters and the offense did nothing.  You blame that one on the D? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Christmas for Brady : [QUOTE]So far, Brady has nothing in his stocking.  I don't know I think Tom's stocking is filled out very nicely.
    Posted by HRK103

TB doesn't have to wait for christmas when he has that to come home to every night.. schweeeeeet

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In 01, 03, 04 the Pats O was good but not great but their D was easily the best assest. In 07 it flipped and it got them to the SB but the D couldn't hold out. The D held the Giants to 3 points for 3 quarters and the offense did nothing.  You blame that one on the D? 
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Actually I would point to the Giants D completely shutting down the Pats high powered offense as one of the keys. And yes if the Pats D held them in the last drive with less then 5 mins left it would have been over.

D wins championships as proven by the above I'm not sure how loading up on O and not fixing the bigger problems on D is the best way to go

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Adapt to the draft...if some huge DT falls into their lap again, run-stuffing has never been a liability in this division.

Sections
Shortcuts