Chung and Spikes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

Chung and Spikes

Is Chung and Spikes extended vacation going to come back and bite the PATS come playoff time? After Spikes' 4 game suspension he was rusty last year and with no real offseason this year are they going to be ready to not only play but be a factor?

Would love to hear some other fans thoughts on this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Re: Chung and Spikes

In Response to Chung and Spikes:
    [QUOTE]Is Chung and Spikes extended vacation going to come back and bite the PATS come playoff time? After Spikes' 4 game suspension he was rusty last year and with no real offseason this year are they going to be ready to not only play but be a factor? Would love to hear some other fans thoughts on this.
    Posted by PATinPA[/QUOTE]
    I don't think it matters. No matter what condition Chung comes back in he is an upgrade at safety over Moore/Slater.

Spikes on the other hand could find himself in the shuffle at LB if he is a step slower after he returns to the feild, however I am not concerned about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Chung and Spikes:
    [QUOTE]Is Chung and Spikes extended vacation going to come back and bite the PATS come playoff time? After Spikes' 4 game suspension he was rusty last year and with no real offseason this year are they going to be ready to not only play but be a factor? Would love to hear some other fans thoughts on this.
    Posted by PATinPA[/QUOTE]

Spikes I'm way less concerned about than Chung.  In Chung's first 3 years, I believe at most, He's had 5 straight games prior to being lost (yet again) to another game (or two), to injury issues.  When Spikes returned after that 4 game suspension last year, he wasn't "rusty" per se, lol- It was only for that 1 Jets playoff loss, and he didn't even start at LB...

To me, it all revolves around the post-season...  So we have a game at Washington tommorow, A game at Denver the next week, then 2 games in Foxboro-1 with Buffalo and 1 with Miami.  Then the playoffs start.
         With Spikes, I'd feel good enough about his durability, to leave him out this week, then return him into a 60-70% playing role at Denver, before letting him play fully the rest of the way.  For those who say that Spikes's role may be tenable now regarding The Pats current LB situation...?  Ah, no.

Chung's health and very needed participation with regards to NE's secondary, is a much more tenuous situation.  And it involves McCourty and his injury too...  ALL I want for the playoffs, is to just have: McCourty, Arrington, Ihedigbo, and Chung- ALL healthy and ALL actually playing on the field at the same time...that's it.  
         And ya gotta work them back in so they actually for once, KNOW what it's like to be playing together at once, yet at the same time BB has to make the best bets so that they'll all be healthy and contributing at the most complete capacity as possible for the playoffs...

Arrington and Ihedigbo can play on...  When and IF NE's up in a game, they should get decent rest at these times, when secondary back-ups fill in for them here and there in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. 
         With McCourty, I'd actually rather him play- just like Spikes for The 'Skins game, at a reduced role.  THEN, I'd actually leave him home instead of forcing that always brutal trip out west to Mile High in order to play in the oxygen-less clouds...  To me, it's just not worth it.  I'd expect NE to be decisive enough to secure a win in Washington, without stretching the players you'll need come playoff time, to any extreme strenuous roles (esp. given any current injury concerns).  I can't even think of 1 player, save for Brady, who's actually been ON the field as much (PER snap count) as DMC has in his 1st 2 years (On since day 1 last year starting opposite of Bodden, and this year through the first 8 games, I believe he either sat down for either 1 or 2 TOTAL defensive snaps)...so, for a 2nd year guy outta college...?  C'mon, ANY-one would be hurtin' right now if they were asked to do what he was aked so far.  Give McCourty almost a full role back for the Buffalo game, and then the same for Miami in the final week (only pulling him late in the 4th of that final game).
         Chung, I'd take to Washington and not play him...  Then I'd take him to Denver, and only play him @ 25% of the D snaps...  Then I'd work Chung back in for those final 2 games, just as I was doing with DMC...  

Gotta hedge your bets overall- We can still win at Washington with players with certain injury concerns, playing at somewhat more reduced roles.  Then there's goin' to Denver- And that place just ALWAYS gives NE possibly THE biggest headaches since 2000-02 or so, on up to now...  It's just not worth getting someone (or 2, or 3 people) else hurt imo (people btw-WITH recent injury issues).  Why push 'em and kill your Lombardi chances come playoffs?!?  Spend your efforts on securing the W from the 2nd match-up with faultering Buffalo at your own stadium, then do the same vs Miami in freezing december Foxboro.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Chung has been pretty good, but he's turning into the new Bob Sanders.  I'd let Chung heal up till the playoffs.

Spikes?? What has he done lately? When healthy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I think Spikes is a very underrated leader on the Patriots defense. When Mayo was out, that defense looked like it was playing much more inspired football. Spikes also attacks the line hard, and if he doesn't make the tackle, he blows up the blocks, allowing for an easy tackle for the other LB's. I absolutely love the way he plays the run.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

there are still plenty of games left to be played. If they come in week 16 they have a couple games to knock the rust off while limiting re-injury. Given the schedule left better to be safe then sorry

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think we all hang on to the hope that both these players will come back and be what's missing with our defense and convert it into something that is playoff worthy. It's natural to route for two guys that were selected in the second, because lets face it  - we've traded into that round with the hopes that it would provide many players that would build an outstanding core - hasn't happened.

So you end up thinking, god - please let this Chung guy be the next Troy Palumalu, and then you see him not get there on some crucial blitzes and blow coverages. Then you see him make some of the most sure tackles you could ever want, and you think he's getting better...then he goes down with an injury. Frustrating.

As for Spikes, in the back of your mind you see his size and aggressiveness - you hope he stabilizes the middle of your defense and frees up other guys to make more plays (Mayo), but he gets suspended or hurt and it ruins any momentum. Also keep in mind that this guy has had an interesting off the field life - his tweets leave many questioning what type of guy he is and if you haven't heard about his sex video, I can guarantee Kraft has, and will keep that in mind when he's do for a new contract. 

Truthfully we need both of these guys back right now because you can't just throw them in there during the playoffs - they will be exposed. I bet one of them will come back today (get 4 games under their belt) and help in the post season. Which one? I'll go with Spikes, because he doesn't have a history of injuries - suspensions? Yeah, but I worry that a guy like Chung will come back and be so rusty that he will kill us in coverage, not make it better. You don't really have to worry about that with Spikes, they try to keep him out of coverage.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

"rusty" or not, wouldn't the retunr of these two players be an upgrade over who is in there now?  I'd say YES!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Chung and Spikes:
    [QUOTE]there are still plenty of games left to be played. If they come in week 16 they have a couple games to knock the rust off while limiting re-injury. Given the schedule left better to be safe then sorry
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

You know something, I kind of lose sight of the fact that there is still lots of football left to be played before the playoffs start. I think it's do to our record and the teams we have left to play, but the funny thing is we could still lose MORE guys to injury (I forget that because of all the guys we already lost). I start thinking the nfl gods are done cursing us because we met and exceeded their quota, but there is no guarantee of that. I remember the year Seymore went down in the last game of the season against the Jets - we played the post season without him, until the Super Bowl. Then there was the year Harrison went down against the Titans, I think we would of won another Super Bowl if it wasn't for that one.