CHUNG is BACK!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: CHUNG is BACK!

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

He can't wear #25.  He'll owe Kyle Arrington a year's worth of diapers if he wants it back.

Perhaps Chung will get it after Arrington is cut....do the math...too many DBs on the roster....someone is getting whacked...

Won't be Arrington.  He's good in the slot.  Just can't cover well on the outside.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

A couple people thought i was joking when I said that Pat Chung was cut and that BB would bring him in on the cheap! LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

But as long as they didn't pay much, fine, he gives us depth....If Harmon can't beat him out, BB screwed up again...Tavon Wilson is cannon fodder at this point...I hope he's a demon on special teams

Tavon Wilson was such a lousy draft pick.  I want that and the Ras I Dowling pick back again and a mulligan for them.

It is what it is, unfortunately. This signing likely spells an end to the Tavon Wilson disaster. It's an admission of sorts that both Tavon and Duron couldn't cut the mustard. Two horrid top 100 picks (48th in 2012 and 91st overall in 2013), who are so bad that BB felt a need to bring back another failed SS candidate, who he used the 34th overall pick in 2009 to acquire.

What a waste.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

But as long as they didn't pay much, fine, he gives us depth....If Harmon can't beat him out, BB screwed up again...Tavon Wilson is cannon fodder at this point...I hope he's a demon on special teams

Tavon Wilson was such a lousy draft pick.  I want that and the Ras I Dowling pick back again and a mulligan for them.

It is what it is, unfortunately. This signing likely spells an end to the Tavon Wilson disaster. It's an admission of sorts that both Tavon and Duron couldn't cut the mustard. Two horrid top 100 picks (48th in 2012 and 91st overall in 2013), who are so bad that BB felt a need to bring back another failed SS candidate, who he used the 34th overall pick in 2009 to acquire.

What a waste.  

Duron Harmon played pretty decently.  He's way better than Tavon Wilson.  I think Chung could take Wilson's spot in both safety depth and special teams.  But I think Harmon is decent and could potentially be better.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

BFB with another spectacular signing.  Garbage - in - Garbage - out - Garbage in again.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Patriots signed FS Patrick Chung, formerly of the Eagles.

As long as he isnt the starter, Its cool. I am assuming Tavon and Adrian wont be on the 2014 roster and they need a backup for whoever is playing SS. (hopefully Browner with his 6'4, 230 lb frame) but no indication yet where he is playing. I dont think Chung really fell out of favor, more like he got a deal in f/a that the pats wouldnt match and now a year later after being humbled, the Pats are looking at a guy who knows the system, maybe is fully healthy and will be allowed to compete for a job. Competition is always good so in that sense, I dont mind him coming. I would rather a bigger guy, but he is a good special teamer and would be a great backup, better than Tavon atleast. He can play cover 2 even if he is late at times to the ball.

Also it allows BB to use draft picks eslewhere and not on a backup S who would have to learn the system. I just need to know the numbers.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

BFB with another spectacular signing.  Garbage - in - Garbage - out - Garbage in again.

Yes, BB is just so awful ... he never comes up with a good team... Maybe you should find another team... one that builds its roster by playing fantsy football.

Please....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Dear Lord.

At first I thought this thread was just a late entry for April Fool's Day.   Then I saw the confirmation on the Pats' site.

This is not good.  I don't care how cheap the contract is ... I don't care to hear the party line about "camp bodies" ... I don't care that he might "know the system".

Here's what this tells me - BB is ready to concede that Tavon Wilson cannot play at the NFL level.  What a waste of another 2nd round pick (that could have been made in the 4th or later).

I would never have expected him back. It does tell me that BB thinks enough of him not to write him off in terms of preseason competition. The fact that he knows the system - even if he never played it the way it was drawn up - gives him at least a chance to show he can play within the system and so become a good BB type player.

He is a hitter and has some atheletic ability. If he lets himself be coached and plays the way the position is drawn up he could redeem himself.

I wont hold my breath but heck, if BB wants to give him a shot at redemption fine with me.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The following article causes me to lose some respect for Mike Reiss. My responses are in BOLD BLACK:

"Safety Patrick Chung, one of the few top draft choices in Bill Belichick’s tenure who didn’t emerge as a big-time contributor, re-signed with the club on Thursday, the team announced.

RESPONSE: Oh come on, Mike! Here's the names of 16 top 100 picks from 2006-12, that weren't "big-time contributors", if in fact they contributed at all:

1.) 2006: WR Chad Jackson (36th overall), TE David Thomas (86th overall);

2.) 2007: SS Brandon Meriweather (24th overall);

3.) 2008: CB Terrence Wheatley (62nd overall), LB Shawn Crable (78th overall), QB Kevin O'Connell (94th overall);

4.) 2009: SS Patrick Chung (34th overall), DT Ron Brace (40th overall), CB Darius Butler (41st overall), WR Brandon Tate (83rd overall), LB Tyrone McKenzie (97th overall);

5.) 2010: DE/OLB Jermaine Cunningham (53rd overall), WR Taylor Price (90th overall);

6.) 2011: CB Ras-I Dowling (33rd overall);

7.) 2012: DB Tavon Wilson (48th overall), DE Jake Bequette (90th overall);

8.) 2013...still too early to tell.  

Chung spent last season with the Philadelphia Eagles, who had signed him to a three-year, $10 million contract on March 12, 2013. After a disappointing season, the Eagles released Chung almost one year to the day they signed him, on March 11, 2014.

RESPONSE: Not very encouraging. Chung could hit, and was a good speciual teams player, on the fairly rare occasions when he was healthy. But, as the Eagles learned last year, he can't cover. 

Chung, who turns 27 in August, played in 12 games last season with 10 starts.

RESPONSE: Well...that's somewhat promising.

With the Patriots from 2009-2012, he played in 50 games with 30 starts and was a regular on special-teams units. When the Patriots released veteran safety Steve Gregory on Feb. 28, it depleted their depth and Chung fills in that void at a fraction of the cost. Still, he will have to compete for a roster spot and shouldn't be viewed as a roster lock.

RESPONSE: Amen.

Chung entered the NFL as a high second-round draft choice of the Patriots in 2009. He was selected with the pick acquired from the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel.

RESPONSE: The Chung selection represents a big-time lost opportunity for the Pats.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4761123/patriots-bring-back-safety-patrick-chung?ex_cid=espnapi_public

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Dear Lord.

At first I thought this thread was just a late entry for April Fool's Day.   Then I saw the confirmation on the Pats' site.

This is not good.  I don't care how cheap the contract is ... I don't care to hear the party line about "camp bodies" ... I don't care that he might "know the system".

Here's what this tells me - BB is ready to concede that Tavon Wilson cannot play at the NFL level.  What a waste of another 2nd round pick (that could have been made in the 4th or later).

He could just be a camp body, but it doesn't bode well for Wilson, that's for sure.

In response to TexasPat's comment:

The following article causes me to lose some respect for Mike Reiss. My responses are in BOLD BLACK:

"Safety Patrick Chung, one of the few top draft choices in Bill Belichick’s tenure who didn’t emerge as a big-time contributor, re-signed with the club on Thursday, the team announced.

RESPONSE: Oh come on, Mike! Here's the names of 16 top 100 picks from 2006-12, that weren't "big-time contributors", if in fact they contributed at all:

1.) 2006: WR Chad Jackson (36th overall), TE David Thomas (86th overall);

2.) 2007: SS Brandon Meriweather (24th overall);

3.) 2008: CB Terrence Wheatley (62nd overall), LB Shawn Crable (78th overall), QB Kevin O'Connell (94th overall);

4.) 2009: SS Patrick Chung (34th overall), DT Ron Brace (40th overall), CB Darius Butler (41st overall), WR Brandon Tate (83rd overall), LB Tyrone McKenzie (97th overall);

5.) 2010: DE/OLB Jermaine Cunningham (53rd overall), WR Taylor Price (90th overall);

6.) 2011: CB Ras-I Dowling (33rd overall);

7.) 2012: DB Tavon Wilson (48th overall), DE Jake Bequette (90th overall);

8.) 2013...still too early to tell.  

Chung spent last season with the Philadelphia Eagles, who had signed him to a three-year, $10 million contract on March 12, 2013. After a disappointing season, the Eagles released Chung almost one year to the day they signed him, on March 11, 2014.

RESPONSE: Not very encouraging. Chung could hit, and was a good speciual teams player, on the fairly rare occasions when he was healthy. But, as the Eagles learned last year, he can't cover. 

Chung, who turns 27 in August, played in 12 games last season with 10 starts.

RESPONSE: Well...that's somewhat promising.

With the Patriots from 2009-2012, he played in 50 games with 30 starts and was a regular on special-teams units. When the Patriots released veteran safety Steve Gregory on Feb. 28, it depleted their depth and Chung fills in that void at a fraction of the cost. Still, he will have to compete for a roster spot and shouldn't be viewed as a roster lock.

RESPONSE: Amen.

Chung entered the NFL as a high second-round draft choice of the Patriots in 2009. He was selected with the pick acquired from the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel.

RESPONSE: The Chung selection represents a big-time lost opportunity for the Pats.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4761123/patriots-bring-back-safety-patrick-chung?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Yes, a lot of missed opportunities (not so different from the rest of the league though). But to the topic - Chung: I agree it is a good thing he is not a lock for a roster spot. But I find it interesting that BB would want him back to compete for a roster spot. I would expect that means he thinks he has the capability of making the roster - which is not the same as thinking he will make it. And by that I also mean he must feel Chung might be ready to let himself be coached up more than during his previous stint with the club.

I am hopeful but with little expectation. I do not expect him to make the team but perhaps he will. If he does I do not expect him to play any major role. But if he has become coachable he could start to fit into certain roles that use his better attributes. And that would be a very good thing. But he is not at all likely THE answer to the central player at safety.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

He may be camp competition, insurance, or simply a 3rd stringer.  I was never a huge fan of Chung but I'm not really opposed to this signing.  Is he Canton material?  Certainly not but he knows the system, is young enough and perhaps he's learned a thing or two.

Unfortunately, the only two games I watched teh Eagles, he got beat... one at the end zone. I don't think he learned anything.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Lombardi must of called in sick today...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Signed does not mean made the game roster or even lasted through camp and the preseason. He comes in and if he still retains his bad habit of not staying in his assigned coverage area he won't last long."

Glen pleased don't sound so sensible and logical, we are really not used to that kind of thing on this board. :) 

Agreed.

Watch out lest you incure the wrath of Babe.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

I like it.  He doesn't need to cover, just lay wood.  I think he fits in nicely...

In the seasoon opening defensive snap, If Chung doesn't smash himself in to the receiver carrying the ball, and place himself on the seasoning ending IR list in the process, I'll consider this FA signing a successful one. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Yeah, the Revis and Browner signings were awful.....BB should be fired!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Interesting comments here about how good Chung is and the "value" he brings to the Pats with his re-signing. I guess some here think they know better than the Pats' organization about him.  If he wasn't "good enough", why sign him?   

• You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

C'mon guys...as long as it's for the vet minimum (or near it), it's no big deal.  He won't start, but will sub in and out and play special teams.  If he gets hurt (I mean WHEN he gets hurt), we'll cut him and then sign him 4 weeks later for depth.  He's the new Deon Branch / Austin Collie.  

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Interesting comments here about how good Chung is and the "value" he brings to the Pats with his re-signing. I guess some here think they know better than the Pats' organization about him.  If he wasn't "good enough", why sign him?   

So you don't think the Pats organization makes mistakes?

In response to theshinez's comment:

C'mon guys...as long as it's for the vet minimum (or near it), it's no big deal.  He won't start, but will sub in and out and play special teams.  If he gets hurt (I mean WHEN he gets hurt), we'll cut him and then sign him 4 weeks later for depth.  He's the new Deon Branch / Austin Collie.  

Is he worth a spot... at any time?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

We sign lots of players who don't make it out of camp. Bill may have an idea for getting some usefulness out of him but as a starter...doubtful. He didn't seem to have dropped any of his bad habits during his time in Philly. Constantly getting burned because he left his coverage area doesn't go well with 'do your job'.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

They let him go because he really was beat on a regular basis by the TE's and wr's he was suppossed to cover...he took bad angles in the D Backfield, he knocked out as many teammates from making tackles as Gregory did, and most of all, his style of play, smash and dash, turned mostly into smash and injuries, alot of concussions, and missed tackles...

O.k., o.k., ALL true...but If you would just break it down rationally, a bit further, it starts to make better sense:  Chung takes horrible angles, smashes himself on to the IR list, they're pretty deep in The Secondary, but they need and enforcer run stuffing Linebacker, but resigning Spikes would've cost 2 mil, while acquiring Chung will only take 1 mil, but at least Chung won't contribute to help fielding a more solid complete Defense.  But he only costs a mil or less, so when he injures himself, you're only down a mil or even less...

See? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Love it

it is rare players get a second chance with the same team in the NfL.

Who doesn't deserve a second chance? Chung, BB who selected him 34 and all the posters who hated on him all deserve 2 nd second chances. Everyone has the right to change their mind. everyone had the right to believe again.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

They signed him because, despite his coverage shortcomings, he's better than what they had in Gregory, and better than draft busts Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon...which is a sad thing for us Patriots fans.

• Sections
    Shortcuts