chung was pretty bad last year too

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

chung was pretty bad last year too

Just watched tape of playoff win over broncos ... Chung did virtually nothing entire game.  His name was mentioned after a whiffed tackle on a tebow option  and a cheap shot helmet to facemask late hit on mcgahee.

he did a lot of clapping for teammates arriving late to a play, cheering on mayo for tackling someone and helping him up... But guys listen here and watch the tape ...  Actual football plays did not exist. 

Chung avoided and waved at contact the whole game but inevitably got in a position  where he had to make a tackle... He met mcgahee at the 2 yard line to prevent a touchdown when the game was still close in the first half.... Touchdown Denver with Chung having been driven two yards into the endzone.

sorry but reality is sometimes harsh.  Chung does not belong on this football team.

comments...?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: chung was pretty bad last year too

Not a big Chung fan. He looked like he was coming on back in 2010. The game against Miami where he blocked the punt, had a pick six, and a sack.  Since then he's been Injured often and hasn't  progressed . It looks like he gets caught out of position on passing plays. Could be wrong but it looks that way. He hasn't been a playmaker in a while, Wilson has more interceptions in his young career than Chung for the last two seasons.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The tendency for defensive backs in the Patriots system has been to get worse with time... The reason is still a mystery but guys like Chung, Meriweather, Butler, McCourty, Arrington, have actually gone backwards over their time with the Patriots...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

remember on draft day when we had the choice Chung or Louis Delmas who went to the Lions a couple picks later. Even though he has been injured I wish we had went with Delmas, who was the higher ranked of the two. Oh well hindsite is 20/20 ! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Chung made a few plays and looked promising in the beginning. Since then he has regressed like it seems all our DBs do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Chung is not big and physical enough to play in the box as a prototypical strong safety and he is not athletic enough to cover ground much like a prototypical free safety. 

He is caught in the middle and making his situation worse is he seems to favor his shoulder (injury?) when tackling. 

I have to assume his career with the Pats is ending, and the tale of the tape makes me wonder as other teams must see the exact same thing we all see. 

I have asked over the past 6 weeks maybe 30 people who have been in the game, or are currently around the game, why the Pats safeties are struggling so much. No one has a good answer, but the consensus is that the Pats are not asking a lot of the safeties, and playing a very vanilla defense trying to make it even easier. On a positive note, to a man I questioned, all thought Gregory will help once he is healthy, and all thought Wilson could be a player once he knows what he is doing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

sad thing is a few years back belech said something about how he looks at safeties differently in the draft now. 

maybe he should look differently one more time.  he don't know how to draft a safety

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I couldn't agree more with this thread, I've really held back on saying negative things on Chung with hopes he'd develop into something...not anymore. I noticed his play last season too and this year as well - he can't cover - he's slow to react to things good football players don't have trouble with. He is nowhere near big, strong and powerfull enough to make a difference in the box as well. To me he is nothing more than a backup - not what you are looking for considering where he was drafted.

He will come back..make a tackle...Rusty will say "the warnings were out" and then he will blow a coverage on a pass that loses a big game for us. Chung apologists will say it was the corner's fault or that we can't expect him to make that play, or that he was in "perfect position" when he wasn't. Bottom line is he will be gone next year and all the appologists will quietly say nothing (just like when Merriweather was here..then gone). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

remember on draft day when we had the choice Chung or Louis Delmas who went to the Lions a couple picks later. Even though he has been injured I wish we had went with Delmas, who was the higher ranked of the two. Oh well hindsite is 20/20 ! 

I thought Delmar went ahead of Chung? I could be wrong on that, but the truth of the matter is that we spent two high draft selections on safeties (Merriweather the other)...neither of them are good. Hopefully Wilson will be a different story, but so far it looks like more of the same.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Has anybody checked the Guiness Book of World Records on 2nd round busts? BB must be at least in the top 5.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Just watched tape of playoff win over broncos ... Chung did virtually nothing entire game.  His name was mentioned after a whiffed tackle on a tebow option  and a cheap shot helmet to facemask late hit on mcgahee.

he did a lot of clapping for teammates arriving late to a play, cheering on mayo for tackling someone and helping him up... But guys listen here and watch the tape ...  Actual football plays did not exist. 

Chung avoided and waved at contact the whole game but inevitably got in a position  where he had to make a tackle... He met mcgahee at the 2 yard line to prevent a touchdown when the game was still close in the first half.... Touchdown Denver with Chung having been driven two yards into the endzone.

sorry but reality is sometimes harsh.  Chung does not belong on this football team.

comments...?

Chung showed some promise in his rookie and 2nd years and I recall in preseason of his rookie year he was asked to cover the slot in a lot of preseason games and folks were all over him for not locking down Moss(santana brother) I remember defending him at the time, saying he is a safety who isnt adept to covering slots but he faired well for a rookie. (rodney was pretty good at it after coming here too) I thought 2010 was sort of a break out year for him and I always thought his best position was playing near the line we showed great tackling skills and ALWAYS wrapped up RBs and when asked to come down and cover the slot he was ok. I think the problem in coverage people speak of is when he is asked to help over the top and frankly not many safeties have shown that ability here since Eugen Wilson. Either dont have range or too slow to react of bad angles. Chungs issue is angles but  most safeties will get caught of position if the QB looks them off ala Eli in the Sb to Manningham.  So while I understand the critism, I think he needs to be cut some slack,. Just last year practically EVERYONE agreed we needed him back to help our secondary and to me the kid is just overwelmed doing too much in BBs system and now he is hurt this year and never really caught up.  To me this kid has regressed since calling his own fake punt(still dont know WHY they gave him that option) but as much as Chung has been at fault, I have to fault the coaches for screwing up what was once a promising player , Im sorry,. You dont go from where he was in 2010 to now by yourself and its happened to all the Dbs. Only guy covering is the rook Dennard and that will most likely change next year. Listen to Bills conference and notice how he talks about changing Schemes in the bye week and tell when youve ever heard that before...  B.B. knows these guys are overwhelmed and I blame him for not having enough quality vets on the team . Why is our depth on the line all young guys who never play or are always hurt. When do we give up on Pryor,.Brace, Deaderick and get some Anthony Pleasants and B.Hams!?  Where are our Ex players who coach?? 1 guy in Peppers who cant even get a D coaching job yet Patricia can>?Q?  explain that...

look around the lead and see how many ex players are coaching and then ask why ALL our assistants outside of Peppers are geeks who coached at community colleges??  U get what u put in. Time for B.B. to admit he needs real help, NO, its actually been time and probably too late now. Look at Kevin Green in G.B. , dude is in sync with his players. He looks to want to go out on the field himself and when he asks Clay to make a play, he does. We dont have that anymore...  Atleast we HAD player/coach types but now....  Just B.B. and a bunch of Yes men and PLEASE explain how Matt got the job over Peppers

Sections
Shortcuts