Civility – bizarre concept though it may be, give it a try

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Civility – bizarre concept though it may be, give it a try

It appears that the overwhelming majority of those who post in this forum are devoted Patriots fans who wish to engage in informed, intelligent dialog on the team we all love.  That said there are a few who appear simply unable to refrain from rising to the bait of those whose sole purpose in posting here is to disrupt or annoy.  Similarly there are a very few who appear to interpret disagreement as personal attack and respond by launching the verbal equivalent of a cruise missile strike when some simply don’t see things the same way that they do.

When an appeal for civility is posted responses appear that attempt to affix blame, point fingers and engage in a schoolyard ‘he started it’ diatribe that misses the very point.  What possible difference does it make who started it?  These exchanges contribute nothing except to inject an element of Jerry Springer-like side show theatrics into this forum (apologies to the poster who identifies himself as JS; nothing personal intended here).  Is that what we want this forum to be about?  I for one do not.

One can offer critical commentary about a thread, a post, an expressed opinion without making it personal.  I often disagree with opinions expressed in here; that doesn’t mean the poster of that opinion is a feeble minded idiot.  It simply means that he and I see it differently.  Am I suggesting that we all should shy away from offering critical commentary?  Hardly.  A free exchange of ideas can be an enjoyable and educational exercise but it doesn’t mean that one must impugn the integrity, intellect or intentions of the other party.  Try addressing the issue; you’d be surprised how much of a difference it makes.

I am no idealist; I do recognize that this thread will fall upon blind eyes in some cases.  Moreover, some may even consider this a personal attack. That is regrettable but hardly something about which I will lose sleep.  Similarly, there will be those who will characterize me in something other than a positive light.  Quite frankly that is of little consequence to me.  What does matter, in my humble opinion is the quality of the dialog in this forum.  Personal attacks don’t make an opinion more valid; reasoned, informed, factually based commentary does.

My humble 2 cents.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Re: Civility – bizarre concept though it may be, give it a try

In Response to Civility – bizarre concept though it may be, give it a try:
    [QUOTE]It appears that the overwhelming majority of those who post in this forum are devoted Patriots fans who wish to engage in informed, intelligent dialog on the team we all love.   That said there are a few who appear simply unable to refrain from rising to the bait of those whose sole purpose in posting here is to disrupt or annoy.   Similarly there are a very few who appear to interpret disagreement as personal attack and respond by launching the verbal equivalent of a cruise missile strike when some simply don’t see things the same way that they do.   When an appeal for civility is posted responses appear that attempt to affix blame, point fingers and engage in a schoolyard ‘he started it’ diatribe that misses the very point.   What possible difference does it make who started it?   These exchanges contribute nothing except to inject an element of Jerry Springer-like side show theatrics into this forum (apologies to the poster who identifies himself as JS; nothing personal intended here).   Is that what we want this forum to be about?   I for one do not.   One can offer critical commentary about a thread, a post, an expressed opinion without making it personal.   I often disagree with opinions expressed in here; that doesn’t mean the poster of that opinion is a feeble minded idiot.   It simply means that he and I see it differently.   Am I suggesting that we all should shy away from offering critical commentary?   Hardly.   A free exchange of ideas can be an enjoyable and educational exercise but it doesn’t mean that one must impugn the integrity, intellect or intentions of the other party.   Try addressing the issue; you’d be surprised how much of a difference it makes. I am no idealist; I do recognize that this thread will fall upon blind eyes in some cases.   Moreover, some may even consider this a personal attack. That is regrettable but hardly something about which I will lose sleep.   Similarly, there will be those who will characterize me in something other than a positive light.   Quite frankly that is of little consequence to me.   What does matter, in my humble opinion is the quality of the dialog in this forum.   Personal attacks don’t make an opinion more valid; reasoned, informed, factually based commentary does.   My humble 2 cents.  
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one ATJ.
    For the most part the Forum is hugely enjoyable and for me very informative. Nothing amiss with varying views on any given subject.

However the threads that develop into p*i*$$* ing contests are a waste of space and many are posted purely with the intention of inciting reaction. As Pats fans react I am sure the instigator is sitting back having a good laugh at being successful at getting under peoples skin. Cannot understand guys allowing themselves to be got at so easily...then again maybe they enjoy it too. I guess it takes all sorts
    On a side note this season is awesome...what a clinic in the art of coaching. Enjoy all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

in an environment of anonymity, i think you'll find that some won't comply.

On the other hand, there is the ignore button.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

A lot of people cannot disagree without insulting the other person. 

It typically involves calling them "irrational, brainless, troll, kool-aid, homer, etcetera."

The point being, of course, to cast their ability/objectivity as a judge into doubt.

A little banter is ok. It can keep things lively. But people make too many dire personal attacks fro something that (in the end) doesn't really matter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

ATJ,

I don't want this to be a bloodbath site everyday but at the same time I certainly don't want it to be some Brandy room debate club either. This is a Patriots board period. I welcome fans from other teams here because I love to hear how they, and maybe their city see's the Patriots as I'm sure you do as well.

Now, when one of these guests acts up and isn't being civil there are some here who feel the need to straighten them out. I for one stay away from new posters clearly here to start trouble but, when I see a regular visitor trying to force his will I'm responding in greater force than what was applied..............period!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

As almost everyone in here knows, I am a Jets fan. I am not Leon, MasterHess, or WeeWeeWhatever although I've been accused of that. I enjoy coming on here to read what Patriot fans are thinking about a miriad of topics. I freely admit that am one of the p**sers on here. I must point out that the vast majority of my posts ARE Jet related and since there is no shortage of Jet related threads here, I post fairly regularly. I have added comments that are non-confrontational, and express my opinion on the topic of the thread and have received comments back that are the same. In most cases when the p##ing starts, it's in reaction to "some" posters here who regularly make snarky, rude, and some just plain WRONG comments about the Jets or their fans, sometimes even when the thread is NOT Jet related. After you posted your concerns late yesterday about the tone, I backed off and did not make any incindiery comments. I will wait to see what others think

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

So does that mean you aren't bringing free brandy for us?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Civility – bizarre concept though it may be, give it a try:
    [QUOTE]ATJ, I don't want this to be a bloodbath site everyday but at the same time I certainly don't want it to be some Brandy room debate club either. This is a Patriots board period. I welcome fans from other teams here because I love to hear how they, and maybe their city see's the Patriots as I'm sure you do as well. Now, when one of these guests acts up and isn't being civil there are some here who feel the need to straighten them out. I for one stay away from new posters clearly here to start trouble but, when I see a regular visitor trying to force his will I'm responding in greater force than what was applied..............period!
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Sam,

Freedom of choice is exactly that - freedom.  Respond in any manner you choose; that is your right, of course, and I respect that without exception.  When the insulting exchanges consume the thread, however, I think we lose something. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]As almost everyone in here knows, I am a Jets fan. I am not Leon, MasterHess, or WeeWeeWhatever although I've been accused of that. I enjoy coming on here to read what Patriot fans are thinking about a miriad of topics. I freely admit that am one of the p**sers on here. I must point out that the vast majority of my posts ARE Jet related and since there is no shortage of Jet related threads here, I post fairly regularly. I have added comments that are non-confrontational, and express my opinion on the topic of the thread and have received comments back that are the same. In most cases when the p##ing starts, it's in reaction to "some" posters here who regularly make snarky, rude, and some just plain WRONG comments about the Jets or their fans, sometimes even when the thread is NOT Jet related. After you posted your concerns late yesterday about the tone, I backed off and did not make any incindiery comments. I will wait to see what others think
    Posted by RipFace[/QUOTE]

Have still not got it through your head that this is a Patriots board?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Civility – bizarre concept though it may be, give it a try : Have still not got it through your head that this is a Patriots board?
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]..shouldn't this person also do the same and "stay away (from the NYDailyNews)? It's part of the back and forth. If you want a one-dimensional, Borg-like thread then you are right

BradyChix

8:41 AM
    Nov 2, 2010

It's a no brainer that he wants back in at Foxboro but too many other teams are interested. He'll end up on the dolphins or some other scrub team. Too bad for Randy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I thought this had cooled off a great deal since the naysayers have left the board but I guess I'm mistaken.  I really haven't ran into much if any of late.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Civility – bizarre concept though it may be, give it a try : ..shouldn't this person also do the same and "stay away (from the NYDailyNews)? It's part of the back and forth. If you want a one-dimensional, Borg-like thread then you are right BradyChix 8:41 AM Nov 2, 2010 It's a no brainer that he wants back in at Foxboro but too many other teams are interested. He'll end up on the dolphins or some other scrub team. Too bad for Randy!
    Posted by RipFace[/QUOTE]

I know of no posters here that go on any of the Jets boards but I've seen many Jets troll this board over the years.

The example you use is obviously a know nothing pink helmet since the Dolphins are hardly a scrub team. They're one of those second tier teams that seems to always fall just shy.

That said you're certainly welcome to post here but you shouldn't be surprised if people dump on you for coming here and telling us how wonderful the Jets and their fans are. I've been to both the Meadowlands and Yankee stadium many times and I know better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Apparently I need to clarify.  I'm not looking for a forum devoid of color or controversy or good natured banter or even an occasional vigorous disagreement.  What I'm specifically speaking to is the venom-filled, finger pointing, insulting, name calling exchanges that deteriorate into near-chaos. 

One can have a lively debate wherein two or more vigorously disagree without it becoming personally insulting.  Surely this is not beyond the ability of those who post here to comprehend. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]I thought this had cooled off a great deal since the naysayers have left the board but I guess I'm mistaken.  I really haven't ran into much if any of late.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Interesting thast all those posters calling for the firing of BB the trading of Brady or for Kraft to sell the team have all disappeared like smoke in a high wind. No one left but us coolaid drinkers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

What difference does it make? If the person is a tool and a jealous fan of another team not contributing to the thread, I would say that is the difference.

How hard is this for you to understand?

I appreciate what you are trying to do, but I would suggest the mods simply ban the people who clearly aren't here to talk Pats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Somebody has to do this.

It may as well be me.

Now I think I'll go watch som Frasier re-reruns.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]A lot of people cannot disagree without insulting the other person.  It typically involves calling them "irrational, brainless, troll, kool-aid, homer, etcetera." The point being, of course, to cast their ability/objectivity as a judge into doubt. A little banter is ok. It can keep things lively. But people make too many dire personal attacks fro something that (in the end) doesn't really matter.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

"Irrational" is a fine word and very appropos.  No offense.

If you behave irrationally, then you are irrational.

Please don't make me list examples.   

When we see people say "this team is finished", "time for BB to go", "trade Brady",  "7-9 in 2010", "the defense stinks", "the secondary is playing bad", etc, etc, etc....

Yes, that is bordering on Dahmer territory.  It's either a troll posing as a Pats fan or a wishful thinking troll fan of another team ruining a good thread.

Regardless, if you don't do your homework and want to play with the big boys, don't type.

This is beyond simple, folks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Civility – bizarre concept though it may be, give it a try : I know of no posters here that go on any of the Jets boards but I've seen many Jets troll this board over the years. The example you use is obviously a know nothing pink helmet since the Dolphins are hardly a scrub team. They're one of those second tier teams that seems to always fall just shy. That said you're certainly welcome to post here but you shouldn't be surprised if people dump on you for coming here and telling us how wonderful the Jets and their fans are. I've been to both the Meadowlands and Yankee stadium many times and I know better.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]...maybe she and Leon or Master or WeeWee should get together!! There are others that go on also to NY boards. The 3 I mentioned above have said "how wonderful the Jets and their fans are." I have not. I reply when the organization and it's fans are lumped as a whole with rude and inappropriate descriptions or when I disagree with what someone says about a game plan or performance. Please do not lump me in with those others

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Civility – bizarre concept though it may be, give it a try : Interesting thast all those posters calling for the firing of BB the trading of Brady or for Kraft to sell the team have all disappeared like smoke in a high wind. No one left but us coolaid drinkers.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I typed something similar under my response to ZBellino's.

How hard is this?

A mod could easily scan this board in less than 5 minutes and figure out who the trolls are.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]What difference does it make? If the person is a tool and a jealous fan of another team not contributing to the thread, I would say that is the difference. How hard is this for you to understand? I appreciate what you are trying to do, but I would suggest the mods simply ban the people who clearly aren't here to talk Pats.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

The only way that would work would be if the site was actively moderated and registration required an email response. As far as I know you can still register name after name with phony email addresses and no attempt is made to check. My registration is a fake address simply because I don't want even more spam than I already get. All these sites sell their address lists.

Of course all this stuff increases the fee the Globe pays to the company that hosts the boards. I have a feeling the Globe doesn't pay much. Moderation is only via software that hits on inappropriate key words and may trigger something if you report. That's all though. And even that's a little weird. I can no longer use the word s*c*h*m*u*c*k despite the fact it's commonly used on TV.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]What difference does it make? If the person is a tool and a jealous fan of another team not contributing to the thread, I would say that is the difference. How hard is this for you to understand? I appreciate what you are trying to do, but I would suggest the mods simply ban the people who clearly aren't here to talk Pats.

To ALL:

ENTIRELY wrong, rusty...  Ya haven't been here long enough to see this board at times, totally devoid of other fans and their input.  It results in slander & infighting between NE Fans...  Jesus, what is this an "invite only" fraternity?  WTH is wrong with some of you guys being presumptuous & higher-than-thou (thrown awide, not and not towards rusty)?  Man, I've seen other team's fans far more knowledgeable than some NE Fans ever are, ever-on any single thread.  I may goof around alot, but I despise this uppitiness (sp?) and bullies.  You people start a "NO Homers Club," if ya need to.  This is an open board imo, where ALL are welcome (even Leon).  The j#rks are still gonna be j#rks...either to fellow NE Fans or other Fans.  Just do NOT get too personal or demean others too much, because I'm one who'll come after you whoever you are when ya step on someone's face (but ya gotta spit on them too)-THAT is where I draw the line!

~Some of you guys really DON'T know how wonderful & special this BDC Board really is...I've been on ESPN.com, SI.com, Patsfans.com, and the information, wit, creativity, and depth of knowledge HERE, simply kills those boards en masse.  Heck, muse on this fact some of you: THIS BDC Board is so rich with knowledge (and lol, flavor), That PatsFans.com creator "Ian" (whatever), WAS coming on HERE to talk New England Football.  I actually (others certainly did too) got an e-mail from him asking to join PatsFans.com...THIS is how good BDC.com is, where ya have the creator of the place that calls itself "Patriots #1 fan board", comin' here in order to get posters with good knowledge of NE Football!!!   I LOVE EVERYthing this BDC Board stands for: It's craziness & wit, It's sheer massive number of informed Fans (both NE AND other fans)-with their unbelievably deep understanding for the game of football, the NFL, and New England Football...  For those that do NOT apprecitae this BDC forum, go somewhere else, even if for a bit...you'll come bag with a far greater appreciation for this place...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

How hard is it for you to understand that you diminish your own credibility when you start throwing around terms like 'tool'?  Truly I thought this was a forum for adult dialog not the kind of stuff we should have left on the elementary school playground.

I really don't care what you post, to be quite honest.  Call me a tool for all I care.  But, seriously, what you say about someone else says a lot more about you than it does about the person you're talking about.  That is apparently something you don't understand.  Or perhaps you do and simply don't care.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

It's a shame that a lot of Patriot fans stay away from here or rarely post (like me) because of OTHER PATRIOT FANS! It's not the trolls most often, they are easily ignored, it's our own brethren. 
     It should be fun to come here, read, and post opinions. But it often turns into a place of conflict degenerating into name calling and accusations because of differing opinions or someone not being as knowledgeable as someone else. Too much like the world we live in instead of the haven it could be.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The way I look at it, there are 3 types of people that come here:

1. Reasonable NE fans looking for a little chatter
    2. Unreasonable NE fans who cannot accept criticism of their team
    3. Trolls looking to spread hate and discontent

Let's face it, there are many more reasonable people here than unreasonable.  But it gets really old reading posts from the trolls or watching other posters get piled on for trying to offer a contrarian opinion.  I usually just ignore or don't respond,  but sometimes it's hard to let things pass when I see a troll cluttering up a great thread with nonsense. 

Not much we can do about it.  I usually try to offer a reasonable response even when my opinion is bashed.  But for trolls, I'm finding that ignore is my salvation. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Civility – bizarre concept though it may be, give it a try : How hard is it for you to understand that you diminish your own credibility when you start throwing around terms like 'tool'?  Truly I thought this was a forum for adult dialog not the kind of stuff we should have left on the elementary school playground. I really don't care what you post, to be quite honest.  Call me a tool for all I care.  But, seriously, what you say about someone else says a lot more about you than it does about the person you're talking about.  That is apparently something you don't understand.  Or perhaps you do and simply don't care.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

It's the latter. I don't care about "credibility". Nothing personal, but I don't know you and this is a sports board.

This isn't my job or an interview.

I know who I am, I do my homework and come to play.

If you think I am concerned about credibility, then apparently, we see an internet board as entirely two separate things.

If someone comes on here to agitate or ruin the good Pats fans genuine attempts at discussion, then yes, they are absolutely tools with ZERO LIFE.

You seem to politicizing this and acting  like Roger Goodell, tap dancing around the reality of the situation.

Call the spade a spade.

Sections
Shortcuts