Clay Mathews

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Clay Mathews

What a play with that forced fumble. He changed the momentum with that play. Pats desparately need someone on defense that can do that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Clay Mathews

Agreed, but did anyone notice that he ducked when Ben threw a touchdown pass in the corner of the endzone? Ben wound up for the throw and instead of jumping with his hands up, he ducked out of his way....it was very weird. I wonder if he just made a mental mistake or something. I've never seen a guy intentionally duck so the QB could make a throw. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

He's a playmaker.  Every team has room for one like him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

This is no doubt a dig at the Patriots for not drafting Clay Mathews, but the fact is that the Patriots had no trouble making big plays and creating turnovers during the regular season.  In fact their turnover differential of +28 was the second highest since the NFL-AFL merger and was by far the best in the league.  Pittsburgh was second with +17 and Green Bay was FOURTH with +10.  New England made tons of big plays, unfortunately not in the playoffs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Pats could've had Mathews. Don't worry because they don't need him. Who needs  Clay Mathews when you have the intimidators like Tully Banta Cain and Rob Ninkovic!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Well, lets hope we get a great pass rusher this draft. I say if we have a chance to draft someone like Von Miller by trading up, we should do it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Not drafting Matthews ranks up with the biggest mistakes of the BB era.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Unless I miss my guess, we took McCourty instead.  O.K. by me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

In Response to Re: Clay Mathews:
    Posted by Davedsone

No....

Mathews came out a year before Devin McCourty.

The Pats desperately need someone like Mathews.  Don't know why BB passed on him, I guess he was looking for a scholar from Harvard with Lawrence Taylors football skills.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Posted by Davedsone

Clay does continue to make the non-pick(he's certainly not alone) look stupid. Good for him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostbuster. Show ghostbuster's posts

We din't get McCourty for Mathews. We got the following 4 for Clay Mathews trade over the last 2 drafts.

Rob Gronkowski
    Butler/Brace(one of those 2)
    Brandon Tate
    Julian Edelman

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Not drafting Matthews ranks up with the biggest mistakes of the BB era.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

Let's not rehash this topic again. Hindsight is 20/20 and 25 other teams also passed also on the guy. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

We din't get McCourty for Mathews. We got the following 4 for Clay Mathews trade over the last 2 drafts. Rob Gronkowski Butler/Brace(one of those 2) Brandon Tate Julian Edelman
    Posted by ghostbuster

I am happy Pats got those players and hindsight is everything. Mathews would have been good but BB went in a  different direction. 1 thing is clear though the Pats need someone on D that can step up and make a game changing play in a big game. They don't have that at the moment and I really hope that changes this off season as it is really the only thing that is missing from the team. They need someone who can bail the offense out if it struggles especially in the linebacking crew.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

Matthews is a terrific playmaker no doubt, but there were a few times that I noticed tonight that he failed to seal the edge adequetly (and the result was a large gain) - the first and foremost duty of an OLB in the 3-4 (and this isn't the first time I've noticed this from him). I'm willing to bet that questions about Matthew's ability to set the edge kept Belichick from pulling the trigger on in him in 2009. Keep in mind that Matthews wieghed in at only 240 lbs at the combine in 2009 - 20 lbs. lighter than the ideal 260 for a 3-4 OLB. He's since brought his weight up to 255, but Belichick doesn't like to draft players that might need development in the first round - he traditionally goes with someone that he feels will be ready to make an immediate impact.

That said, I'm not upset with the outcome of the trade. Gronkowski looks like a future Pro-Bowler, Brace developed into a solid run-stuffer at the end of the season, and both Tate and Edleman have shown that they can (or at least flashed the ability) to contribute. I know that none of them are flashy-game breakers, but a big part of building a championship team includes finding guys that can just do what's asked of them, even if they aren't perennial DPOY candidates.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from laynard. Show laynard's posts

Well, lets hope we get a great pass rusher this draft. I say if we have a chance to draft someone like Von Miller by trading up, we should do it.
    Posted by Patsfan038

Agreed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Posted by Davedsone

Well, there were really a complex series of trades, but (according to the Globe) we ended up turning our 23rd pick into a second rounder and two third rounders. Two of those picks gave us Butler and Tate, plus a DB (Cox) we traded for another second rounder and a seventh rounder. We turned the seventh rounder into Edelman. The second rounder was packaged with another pick for us to get Gronkowski.  Getting Gronk probably saved what otherwise would have looked like a bad deal. With Gronk, it looks okay, though the most direct acquisitions for Matthews (Butler, Tate, and Edelman) don't add up to a Matthews in my mind.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Matthews is a terrific playmaker no doubt, but there were a few times that I noticed tonight that he failed to seal the edge adequetly (and the result was a large gain) - the first and foremost duty of an OLB in the 3-4 (and this isn't the first time I've noticed this from him). I'm willing to bet that questions about Matthew's ability to set the edge kept Belichick from pulling the trigger on in him in 2009. Keep in mind that Matthews wieghed in at only 240 lbs at the combine in 2009 - 20 lbs. lighter than the ideal 260 for a 3-4 OLB. He's since brought his weight up to 255, but Belichick doesn't like to draft players that might need development in the first round - he traditionally goes with someone that he feels will be ready to make an immediate impact. That said, I'm not upset with the outcome of the trade. Gronkowski looks like a future Pro-Bowler, Brace developed into a solid run-stuffer at the end of the season, and both Tate and Edleman have shown that they can (or at least flashed the ability) to contribute. I know that none of them are flashy-game breakers, but a big part of building a championship team includes finding guys that can just do what's asked of them, even if they aren't perennial DPOY candidates.
    Posted by TheCommittee

I wonder if BB's scheme (which puts a lot of demands on OLBs) would have turned a Clay Matthews into an Adalius Thomas had he come to the Patriots? Some guys are better when it's made simple for them.  BB's scheme demands a lot of thinking, I believe.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

hey lets not get all googoo doll eyes over him... he had a good game, he forced a fumble on a basic tackle... big deal... he did not light it up... in fact..he missed setting the edge on several plays and he spyed rothlesburger most of the night so stop with all negative nancy crap about him and pats...we arent the only team that passed up on him... people fail to realize pats play D different than other teams... 

it does look like we kind of gave this SB to the nfc... though

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

More than ever I'm convinced that Clay Matthews is a great pass rusher with limited other skills.  When forced to hold the edge he was neutralized more often than not.  He did a good job playing spy on Roethlisbereger, and the guy knows how to pressure, but he's not a 3 down OLB in New England. 

That being said, the guy was worth a first rounder for his pass rushing skills alone.  At the time, maybe the Pats thought it was a bit rich to expend a 1st rounder on a guy who didn't project into their version of the 3-4.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from allancrain. Show allancrain's posts

Clay Mathews did not cause the fumble, the other player (Pickett) hit the ball with his helmet and it came out before Mathews hit Mendenhall.  Only one of the replays shows that.  Mathews had 3 tackles and was totally blown up on end runs around his side.  Stars get all the glory.  Polamalu was beat twice for touchdowns, way out of position (no criticism, he's a star).

Announcers are lazy they pick a couple of people on either side of the ball and that's all they can talk about.  I believe we heard the names of Rodgers' siblings that were at the game as an example.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

GB lost contain repeatedly last night against the run. That's why BB didn't take Matthews. He's a liability against the run.  Period.  Great young talent, exploive player, but GB runs a slightly different 3-4 and they don't ask their OLBs to play the run as much as BB does here.

Pitt had over 100 yards rushing by the 3rd qtr, too.  Lots of that came off the edge or at the DE/OLB seam.

If NE had allowed over 100 yards rushing, we'd see irrationals here making it seem like is the worst D in the league.

It's easy to armchair ANY player that any team passed over in a draft, kids.

The approach in the draft in 2009 and 2010 was nothing short of genius, which will show up more so in this draft in 2011 as well.

Anyone who follows BB's approach or has a clue somewhat of how he approaches the draft and free agency can see that the drafts are continuous and part of one large chunk.

You don't judge them by year to year. You judge them in chunks.  It's like how people looked back at the 2001, 2002 and 2003 drafts.  2003 was the best, but 2001 and 2002 were good.

If 2011 is a 1986 Niners type of draft, no one will be complaining about BB staying patient and doing it the way 90% of teams wished they could.

Ask any analyst and their opinion of the last two drafts and you'll see very high grades the last 2 years.

BB has essentially rebuilt the team almost exclusively through the draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Not really all that impressed.  He looks like he's a crazy linebacker but is he really that good?  Like Lawrence Taylor, take over a game by yourself kind of good?  Not yet he's not. 

Too much silly idolization here, pretending its analysis.  The Packers were 10 & 6 Yes they won the S.B. but there were many players on the team who contributed to that, not just Matthews.  Time will tell on this guy.  The jury remains out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

We din't get McCourty for Mathews. We got the following 4 for Clay Mathews trade over the last 2 drafts. Rob Gronkowski Butler/Brace(one of those 2) Brandon Tate Julian Edelman
    Posted by ghostbuster

It was Butler I think

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

GB lost contain repeatedly last night against the run. That's why BB didn't take Matthews. He's a liability against the run.  Period.  Great young talent, exploive player, but GB runs a slightly different 3-4 and they don't ask their OLBs to play the run as much as BB does here. Pitt had over 100 yards rushing by the 3rd qtr, too.  Lots of that came off the edge or at the DE/OLB seam. If NE had allowed over 100 yards rushing, we'd see irrationals here making it seem like is the worst D in the league. It's easy to armchair ANY player that any team passed over in a draft, kids. The approach in the draft in 2009 and 2010 was nothing short of genius, which will show up more so in this draft in 2011 as well. Anyone who follows BB's approach or has a clue somewhat of how he approaches the draft and free agency can see that the drafts are continuous and part of one large chunk. You don't judge them by year to year. You judge them in chunks.  It's like how people looked back at the 2001, 2002 and 2003 drafts.  2003 was the best, but 2001 and 2002 were good. If 2011 is a 1986 Niners type of draft, no one will be complaining about BB staying patient and doing it the way 90% of teams wished they could. Ask any analyst and their opinion of the last two drafts and you'll see very high grades the last 2 years. BB has essentially rebuilt the team almost exclusively through the draft.

Posted by BBReigns

once again top class analysis.
    So do you see BB drafting JJ Watt?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

BB found him lacking in his ability to set the edge and also didn't think he would fit in the scheme he likes to play.  Is it one that got away?  Yeah, but who doesn't have that story.  Lots of teams missed out on Mathews. 

Also I wasn't aware that the trade down involved led eventually to the signing of Gronkowski as well as those other players.  That being the case, I wouldn't have it any other way and I'm sure BB feels the same.  BB has spent his career, not looking for the next Lawrence Taylor (close to an impossibility), but looking for the next Mark Bavaro.  It's still early but all signs are indicating that he found him in Gronk. 

Sections
Shortcuts