Clay Matthews Could Be Our OLB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Clay Matthews Could Be Our OLB

Watching the Packers-Ravens game and was curious how they picked up OLB Clay Matthews. Quick google search reveals that Matthews was the 26th pick last year -- and Green Bay got that pick from New England! We traded away that pick for the picks that got us Darius Butler and Brandon Tate. 

I think I'm feeling queasy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: Clay Matthews Could Be Our OLB

In Response to Clay Matthews Could Be Our OLB:
    [QUOTE]Watching the Packers-Ravens game and was curious how they picked up OLB Clay Matthews. Quick google search reveals that Matthews was the 26th pick last year -- and Green Bay got that pick from New England! We traded away that pick for the picks that got us Darius Butler and Brandon Tate.  I think I'm feeling queasy.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Is it possible that it's too early to tell whether this was a good move? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

The Zen Master would say

" wait and see"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

The linebackers to envy from Green Bay are A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett.

Also, Aaron Kampman will be a free agent this year and he's a good pass rusher.

*** edited: I didn't realize that Matthews had two sacks against one of the better tackles (Gaither) in the league and had 7 on the year - hindsight is 20/20, but you're right in saying that Matthews' pass rushing could have had more of an immediate impact, although that would depend on Pees using him there instead of using him on running downs and then taking him out in favor of the hapless, helpless Burgess.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Well, he isn't on our team now so there's not point in whining about it.

Brandon Tate was considered first round talent before his injury and showed some promise while playing this year. Butler was also considered first round talent, and has been playing well on a team with no pass rush.

Give it time. They are all in their rookie seasons right now. You never know, Matthews could have a dropoff. Tate could become an all pro wideout and Butler could become a shutdown corner. It's too late to tell.

At least our picks are contributing and don't look like huge busts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: Clay Matthews Could Be Our OLB:
    The linebackers to envy from Green Bay are A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett. Also, Aaron Kampman will be a free agent this year and he's a good pass rusher. *** edited: I didn't realize that Matthews had two sacks against one of the better tackles (Gaither) in the league and had 7 on the year - hindsight is 20/20, but you're right in saying that Matthews' pass rushing could have had more of an immediate impact, although that would depend on Pees using him there instead of using him on running downs and then taking him out in favor of the hapless, helpless Burgess.
    Posted by NickC1188

I'd love to see the Pats bring in Kampman, but it's pretty obvious that the guy isn't suited to play olb in the 3-4.  He struggled all year with it before injury, and the sack totals weren't even close to his normal numbers.  If they Pats brought him in it would have to be as a rushing 4-3 end, i'm not saying that's a bad thing but that's what your looking at if they pursue Kampman.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~Lately, I get the distinct feeling that when it comes to looking for Linebackers through the Draft, Belichick settles for nothing less than what he deems to be Complete Perfection...anything less is undraftable.  Yet, When it comes to manning the Linebacker position, He vastly overestimates the overall skill-set of whomever vet he brings in... 

Yea, Having Clay Matthew's speed, energy, and his 7 or so Sacks would be kinda nice right now.  Don't even know where I'm goin' with this one, The Fact that this is a young man's game CanNOT be underestimated, BB's gotta get some Young, Quality Impact Players next Draft-

This CanNOT be accomplished by trading out of the first and second rds and subsequently Drafting almost solely "reaches" in subsequent rds.  This CanNOT be accomplished by trading away bits and pieces of future drafts, piecemeal for run-of-the-mill castoff vets.  And This CanNOT be accomplished (at least imo) with having such a stringent formula in ALL things-EVERY single player having an absolutely fixed cap figure, EVERY single Draftee having an exactly fixed spot (i.e. no moving up the high rds, EVER...even when you see a potential star player)....

~Spend some darn $ in Free Agency on less numbers, but higher quality players, AND Target the true stars in the Draft (the way BB did with Harvin last year), BUT GO and Get Them...See what ya need and like, and GO Get It... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Brandon Tate was considered first round talent before his injury and showed some promise while playing this year. Butler was also considered first round talent, and has been playing well on a team with no pass rush. Give it time. 
    Posted by magicalhobo

All true.  And of course all draft picks are a bit of a crap shoot.  But looking at the current Pats team, our biggest problem is lack of pass rush, and in our 3-4 scheme most of the pass rush should be coming from the OLB position. Going into the draft, OLB was probably our biggest need, though CB (Butler) and WR/kick returner (Tate) were also significant needs. What's interesting, I think, is that BB gambled--trying to fill two needs with the 26th pick--rather than taking what was arguable a safer single pick.  Matthews (big-time program at USC), after all, was probably less of a gamble than either Butler (U Conn) or Tate (major injury). The choice reveals BB's mentality. He's a risk taker, and is willing to take some chances in the hopes that the pay off will be big in the end.  It's still too early to tell if his strategy will work.  Maybe Butler and Tate will make big contributions in the future, and BB will pick up an OLB who will be at least as good as Matthews in the long term.  But right now, you have to wonder whether a safe pick would have been a wiser course. It's all a matter of balance--if you're too safe, you'll lose opportunities. If you're too risky, you may end up with nothing.  My mind remains open . . . but I think it will be interesting to watch what happens. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think the Pats intended to have Seymour when they drafted.  Just when the Raiders offered a 1st round pick they had to take it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Belichick doesnt draft the best talented player available. This is Clay Matthews was widely regarded as being better than any of his other USC Linebackers Cushing, and Mauluga. Yet the big dislike for Matthews was that he was undersized to play outside linebacker in the patriots complicated 3-4. BB ignorance towards not drafting the best player available and then switching the defense to play a base 4-3. well I bet he would have loved matthews right now!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

Another GREAT move by Belichick looking for value instead of talent.  Look for the Patriots to add a few more Tight Ends in the next draft!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I got news for ya, we took Tony Easton over you know who?  Yes your right, over Dan Marino. Heres more tums for you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

We also could have traded up and got vernon gholdston, every one was on his jock in the draft. How would have that worked out?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

You say that now but in a year if Butler is one of the best young CBs in football and Tate is a good WR you will be singing a different tune.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

This is all woulda , shoulda, coulda....every team that plays the Pats had 6 rounds and 198 picks to grab future hall of famer Tom Brady.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox148927. Show sox148927's posts

yeah, lots of us that also follow the draft were pulling for matthews and assumed he was the logical choice at that time too, not just after his performance last night...many of us thought he was gonna end up our pick

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Watching the Packers-Ravens game and was curious how they picked up OLB Clay Matthews. Quick google search reveals that Matthews was the 26th pick last year -- and Green Bay got that pick from New England! We traded away that pick for the picks that got us Darius Butler and Brandon Tate.  I think I'm feeling queasy.

I haven't given up on the guys we've drafted yet. What I want are some solid coordinators to mold the talent we have. There are guys that 31 teams miss on in every draft and one team gets the right guy. I'm not quitting on any of the young guys yet but I have quit on our D.C.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSNYFAN. Show PATSNYFAN's posts

'IN BILL WE TRUST"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

[QUOTE]'IN BILL WE TRUST"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by PATSNYFAN[/QUOTE]

Never fear there is always Shawn Crable and Kevin O'Connel.

You gotta be an IDIOT to not realize that their Drafting Decisions since 2006 are AWFUL.  I am not including 2009. 

Quantity over Quality is not paying off.

They purposely decided (except for Mayo) not go for top quality linebackers. Guyton is turning out to be a good unsigned pick up.  Give them credit for that.
    Instead they sign Adalius Thomas, Mr. Bust.

And now Moss and Welker are either getting old or getting killed with hits.  Why the hell is Welker returning punts and kick offs and getting hit to death every week. It's insane.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I thought the same thing..add Beason and Cushing and Rey Mauleuga to that.......we have really dropped the ball with fa moves........Lewis ,Galloway, Springs, amongst others haven't panned out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Yeah it seems that BB was targeting on replacing Wilfork when he drafted  Brace in the 2nd round....wonder what he will do with Vince this offseason.  My guess is that he goes to Miami.

Just dont see the Pats paying anyone besides Brady.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Wilfork will get the tag he wont be going anywhere.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]Wilfork will get the tag he wont be going anywhere.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

And assuming it is an uncapped year, we have 2 tags to use next year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

two tags = Mankins and Wilfork getting tagged.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

watch this is wats gunna happen this year... BB will trade our 1st nd 2nd rounder nxt year for carlos dunlap, leaving us with mostly be a top 10 pick.. orrr they will trade completly out of the 1st round next year for 10 2nd round picks

Sections
Shortcuts