Clay Matthews Is Overrated.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Clay Matthews Is Overrated.......

I watched alot of USC games and I feel Clay Matthews is that Ted Bruschi, Mike Vrabel type, average talent but an overachiever who plays with 150 percent on every play.  But I also think Clay Matthews is a bit overrated and might not reach the level of a Vrabel or Bruschi who by the way took years to develop into a quality starter.   Clay Matthews was a walk-on (he came from money so he didn't need a scholarship so I'm sure he turned down several scholarships to other colleges to play at USC) but he only started one year and he played with two other first round picks in Cushing and Maualaga.      

Clay Matthews may be a safe pick but he'll never be the blue chip caliber player of a Jarod Mayo, that's why if the Patriots get a chance to select Ray Maualaga they should who has the ability to be the steal of the draft if he drops to the Patriots spot. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Clay Matthews Is Overrated.......

Is it just me or does it seem like this guy is sh*ting on Bruschi and Vrabel? Are you saying that a Bruschi type player is a bad thing? Yea it took him years to develop but was it not worth the wait? and the same goes for Vrabel. Bruschi type players are also known as Patriot type players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

I think he is saying that is gets the most of of his ability, like Teddy and Mike, however, it will take time as it did with those studs. He did not knock them, IMHO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

I'm not knocking Bruschi or Vrabel they are great players, both will be considered all time greats especially for than intangibles.  My whole point is that Clay Matthews played with great talent and is an overachiever, he only started one year, so you draft this guy thinking he's a Bruschi or a Vrabel, pay him millions that a first round pick, and he'll only let us down because he's not a Pro-Bowler which what you hope to get with a first round pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I don't know if he's overrated or not. If he's taken by the Pats, he'll be a superstar. If he goes before 23, we don't know. If the Pats pass on him, he's either a bad fit or the player we take is either the better move in terms of where to take players or he's a bad fit. Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

See I see the word overacheiver and to me thats a good thing, that means no one expected him to start but he came in and earned his spot and to me thats exactly the kind of guy i want on this football team. He works hard and has great work ethic. I think its far to early for you to knock him and say he cant make the jump to the pros in fact his work ethic is way better then Cushing and i wouldnt be shocked one bit if Mathews turned out to be the better pro then Cushing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Over Achiever is not a bad thing. Look at the Pats OLB Back with McGinest, Vrabel, Thomas. Mathews doesn't have the Size in a 3-4 to hold the Edge. English or Barwin offer a better fit and Barwin is not going in the first round. Mathews is better on third down Either Blitzing or in Coverage. BB doesn't draft LB's in the first round unless they are 3 down LineBackers.The pick Either Rey Mauluaga or Darius Butler.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Again we are splitting hairs,when you say one player is an overachiever then on the other hand you say 2 guys on the same unit were great I don't see it that way it takes 11 guys to make a defense work and each one has his role so if one player is an overachiever then so aren't the other 10 guys!!! Statistics don't lie and Matthews had big numbers this past season,Rey M. didn't have the numbers that he had so do we call him an underachiever????Oh well in either case I really think that BB would love to trade out of the first round this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think all three USC lbers are over-raed by some. It isn't so muchthat I believe they are bad prospects, but they all have holes in their game that are overlooked by many.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

z,

I think all three need to be looked at four the system they'd be playing for. Matthews is probably the most versatile of the bunch just because of his speed and relative quickness. He'd probably be able to work well in most every system. I personally believe that his greatest impact would be at ROLB in the 3-4 behind a dominant RE. That's the only reason I'd push for him for the Pats. He very well could be a player that could put up 10 to 15 sacks next Seymour in a season. He is though relatively small for the 3-4 defense and may have trouble setting the edge against the run. That's why you'd need someone like Seymour in front of him. Maualuga is undoubtedly a great a run stopper, capable of taking on offensive linemen to make a tackle. That would be a great help for the Pats. The question of whether he is a three down LB is partially answered. There are three different tasks he could be asked to perform on third down. The one that is a question about is whether he can cover. But the other two there isn't a question about. He is good in zone coverage and even better as a blitzer. Cushing I do not believe is a good fit for most teams. The Ravens are the one team I believe he would excell with as a member. They ask their linebackers to do a lot of different things. Cushing is that kind of LB. For the Pats he is kind of like Laurinaitis on the inside, not really big/tough enough to play next Mayo and not quick enough to displace Mayo or even Guyton at the other inside spot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amun. Show amun's posts

can we get a do-over?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

and he is clearly a juicer

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

are you watching this game? he is dominating...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yeah, silly thread...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Yeah! If we had drafted him, our D would only give up 34 points a game!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Saints offense is good

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Im assuming this is an old post....but I cant see why some people here want to keep downplaying what Clay does.  I see Rusty saying he is one dimensional at every chance he can get and thats just to support BIllicheck not taking him. Look I get it. We got a bunch of picks one of which is Gronk who I love and dont want nobody else.  Im not one to say Man, we shouldve got Clay, but to diminish what he doing just to support Bill it kinda stupid.  The guy stops the run...Dont know what film you guys watch and I also saw him doing a good job covering Sproels out the backfield who is pretty slippery.

It amazes me the lenght some go to just to make Billicheck out to be genius.  Truth is some didnt know he would be this good, but dont discount his play. You think Billicheck wouldnt take this guy on the team, you are nuts.  He is a beast! and if you watch the SB special on Green Bay you will really see how smart and what a leader he is already. He would do amazing things in this defense.  Not saying Bill missed on him, but I wont say Clay is overated.  He deserves the accolades he gets.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to Re: Clay Matthews Is Overrated.......:
    I agree.  He's Dwight Freeney but at OLB.  They ask him to do the same thing on every play which is obviously just blast into the backfield.  Works plenty, but it's also predictable.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Freeney is a track star who probably never had more then 35 tackles in a year.

Can you honestly say Russ that you wouldnt want Clay on your team?

Is he not a major upgrade over Ninkovich or Cunningham??  C'mon man, take out the draft factor and comparisons to what we got in Gronk, etc and evaluate him straight up and say he is not a Player.  Then you will prove yourself to be the Ultimate Homer.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Who would be impressed with that defense? They allowed 400 yards passing with their supposed unbelievable cornerbacks. Granted it was to a very good quarterback and a team that is pass happy but still

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I had sunday ticket from 2003 until now,. I just think you go too far to diminish what he does.  I saw him setting the edge last night and dont agree that he only makes plays in the backfield, and even so , thats a good thing.  I would take blowing up a few plays a game in the backfield, you wouldnt?

I am not saying we should have got him either, but give the man his due

In the superbowl in the most crucial play, he told the defense that the offensive was staring at him in the huddle and he had a feeling they were coming at him....he told a lineman to be ready.  Right before the snap he calls a play to the lineman and has him adjust then BOOM right at the snap, the play comes to him and he blows up the runner in the backfield and that was a big point in the game...this right after his linebackers coach told him on the sideline "look Woody(charles woodson) is gone, guys looked to him but its time for you to step up, the time is now" and he goes out and does that.....you cant talk about cerebrals if you want...but I would take him any day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I also dont think just because your defense gave up some points makes you a bad player.  The 1st game of the year tend to be shootouts and umm, I think those are the 2 best qb's in the NFC. N.O. has averaged 27 ppg under Payton.  Teams will score...but take out the returns and was it really that bad?  It wasnt Clay giving up those points....those were the cb's and A.J. Hawk was getting burned by running backs...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts