Clay Matthews- the third!!

How did the Pats miss out on him?

Clay Matthews

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Re: Clay Matthews- the third!!

In Response to Clay Matthews- the third!!:
    How did the Pats miss out on him?
    Posted by NEGAME

I can't blame the Pats on this one.  They have had some bad drafts, but this guy had limited exposure in college.  There were plenty of teams that passed on this guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

another diamond in the rough missed

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Limited exposure? This guy was a can't miss with Football pedigree. I couldn't believe we traded out of that pick again. How good does this guy look in a Pats uniform wearing Ted Johnsons old number? I think his 6 sacks this year would fill in nicely.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

Belicheck is so stupid "trade down" "get value"  value is not there when you draft chumps. This guys dad and uncle played in the NFL. OK we don't need a hard hitting Lb with passion for the game.....stupid

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

The excuse is he wouldn't have fit Pats style of defense.  Going into 09 draft it made sense, BB coached his father, fit a need position and blew out the combine testing.  Plus he was on the board where they drafted.  Bad miss, kid is dynamite.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Hmm... 

Easy, he looks like a girl. I don't know who has longer hair, him or NEGame? 

Belichick probably had the thought that my Grandfather always had when he saw guys that looked like Clay. "Cut your hair and get a damn job, hippie".  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I know you can't judge a book by it's cover. But to me, he looks like dirty white trash. I have to wonder about the IQ of anybody that thinks that stringy nasty mess on his head is a good look.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

As it stands today, would you trade Butler, Edelman, Tate, and Gronkoski for Mathews???????

According to Albert Breer's article in today's paper, these are the acquired players on the PATS current roster that are a result of BB's value-trading-picks philosophy in the draft involving the 2009 26th pick acquired by the Packers from the PATS which the Pack used to get Mathews.

So I ask you again, would your trade these current four players for Mathews???

I guess the GM job isn't quite so easy, even with hindsight!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Hindsight is 20/20..

Apparently, here is what we got instead 

CB Darius Butler (2009, 41st pick), 
    WR Brandon Tate (2009, 83rd pick), 
    WR Julian Edelman (232nd pick), 
    TE Rob Gronkowski (42nd overall)

Obviously, would have preferred Clay, but...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfan1994. Show patsfan1994's posts

well at least we got edelman and gronk but screw butler i dont like him but i have not seen a whole lot of tate to say if i like him or not but he does have good speed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

glad to see Breer reading our board, thanks to him for that article.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Honestly in this specific case I might take Matthews over those four, but that's only because Matthews really turned out to be a home run and none of our four has yet proven himself to be a top-level starter (though I think Gronk evenutally will).  However, most 26th round picks don't turn out to be quite so good as Matthews and getting four guys who can compete for starting positions in exchange for an "average" 26th pick isn't too shabby.  Given the number of spots the Patriots have needed to fill in the past few years, I'm not sure you can argue with BB's approach even though letting Matthews slip out of our grasp is painful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

anyone know how to un-ignore some if you hit that button by mistake please?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

(To re-post) BB could have also taken #27 Donald Brown or #28 Eric Wood, who would have been average and useless respectively. 

Congrats to the Packers who hit it big.  Regrets to Baltimore that once traded with the Pats for Kyle Boller.  Regrets to San Francisco that probably didn't realize they were trading away the #7 pick in the whole draft.  At the time they were thinking maybe that they would make the playoffs?

The article compares an established product (Clay Matthews) with two untried kids (Gronk and Tate) who seem to be working out.  Edelman was BB's luckiest recent guess but he sure counts!  Butler was supposed to be great stuff this offseason but may be injured right now -- how else does anyone explain his sudden drop-off?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Clay Matthews- the third!!:
    Butler was supposed to be great stuff this offseason but may be injured right now -- how else does anyone explain his sudden drop-off?
    Posted by Paul_K

The only thing that dropped off, I think, are the rose-colored glasses that a lot of fans were apparently wearing when they watched Butler last year.  Honestly, I didn't see much from him last season either, which is why even before the draft I had cornerback listed as one of the Pats' biggest needs.  It's possible he'll get better, but so far I haven't seen any signs that he can get up on a receiver and make a play on the ball.  Much like Wilhite, he tracks receivers well but doesn't close fast enough to make any kind of play on the ball or the body of the receiver. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

It would stand to reason that with all of our picks in the last 2 years drafts and with BB's ability to trade picks, that we would have still ended up with most or all of these players even if we had taken Matthews in 2009. We traded down in this years draft to get McCourty and still landed Gronk,Spikes,Cunningham AND Hernandez. I'm pretty sure we could have still landed Edelman in 09( as he was probably going undrafted at that point). Breers article is pointless.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Limited exposure? This guy was a can't miss with Football pedigree. I couldn't believe we traded out of that pick again. How good does this guy look in a Pats uniform wearing Ted Johnsons old number? I think his 6 sacks this year would fill in nicely.
    Posted by TrueChamp

This is incorrect, bloodline aside, he was a walk-on who eventually earned a scholarship and wasn't a starter until game 3 of his senior year.  He only had 5 sacks in his USC career.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

BB stated his biceps are too small...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

yeah..wait till he flunks a steroid test just like his buddy cushing. he walked on to USC weighing 175 and walked off weighing 250. hmmmm....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

yeah..wait till he flunks a steroid test just like his buddy cushing. he walked on to USC weighing 175 and walked off weighing 250. hmmmm....
    Posted by artielang

That same throught ran through my head as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

That big picture of him is kind of creepy. I would have preferred NEGAME to have posted a big picture of herself. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from artbee1. Show artbee1's posts

"Limited exposure" in college, LOL. Keep drinking the kool-aid son.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

You guys wouldn't be happy no matter who they picked.  Last year when TBC got 4 sacks against Buffalo all the negative Nancy's said "It's Buffalo, that doesn't mean anything."  This year Clay Matthews gets 3 sacks on Buffalo and now he's Lawrence Taylor.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

You guys wouldn't be happy no matter who they picked.  Last year when TBC got 4 sacks against Buffalo all the negative Nancy's said "It's Buffalo, that doesn't mean anything."  This year Clay Matthews gets 3 sacks on Buffalo and now he's Lawrence Taylor.
    Posted by shenanigan

We're Patriots fans. The grass is always greener on the other side to us no matter how many times we see a championship parade. 

Sections
Shortcuts