Clutch - What Pats need at the WR position.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Clutch - What Pats need at the WR position.

According to STATS ICE, West Virginia's Stedman Bailey made more "clutch receptions" in 2012 than any top draft-eligible receiver on a minimum of 100 targets.
    "Clutch receptions" are defined as catches that went for a first down or touchdown. Scheme, quarterback play, and competition can affect stats like this, but it's still interesting that Bailey dominated the field with 72 "clutch" catches amongst 148 targets (48.6 percent). Next closest was Oregon State's Markus Wheaton, with 64 "clutch" catches on 141 passes his way (45.4 percent).

We need durable, sure handed, clutch receivers.  I know we all think about height and speed, but at the end of the day the Pats need clutch WR's. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Clutch - What Pats need at the WR position.

Depending on if we get Sanders and/or if BB signs/trades for any more WRs, I expect him to draft 1-2 WRs this year (kind of like TE in 2010).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I think it's time for that type of investment. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I am not expecting them to load up on one position but if they did I think it would be more about D line. Or even CB with Dennard unsure about jail time and Talib here for only 1 year. And DBs in BBs D might need some time for the coaches to ruin them.

But I would not be shocked...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I simply don't see a rookie WR coming into this read and react offense, with TB putting such premium of protecting the ball and no INT's  and demanding the WR to be in the spot expected, and making a big impact in year #1. 

The WR's discussed on this board are players that can make plays on the thrown ball, using their athleticism, speed, and strength to make the catch. The Pats offense throws that type of pass once in twenty throws. They want the ball out of Brady's hand quickly, and want the WR to be in the exact spot he should be in, with the emphasis on not turning he ball over. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Yep, we need a guy that can run to the post at top speed and change the momnetum of the game in an instant.

That investment could be a player ike Larry Fitzgerald

All we have right now is Amendola and Edelman. The other guys BB has picked up are a crap shoot like 2006

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

According to STATS ICE, West Virginia's Stedman Bailey made more "clutch receptions" in 2012 than any top draft-eligible receiver on a minimum of 100 targets.
    "Clutch receptions" are defined as catches that went for a first down or touchdown. Scheme, quarterback play, and competition can affect stats like this, but it's still interesting that Bailey dominated the field with 72 "clutch" catches amongst 148 targets (48.6 percent). Next closest was Oregon State's Markus Wheaton, with 64 "clutch" catches on 141 passes his way (45.4 percent).

We need durable, sure handed, clutch receivers.  I know we all think about height and speed, but at the end of the day the Pats need clutch WR's. 

Bailey's one of my favorite players in the entire draft, and like that above says, all the kid seems to do is get open and make plays.  IMO, he's a Rd 1 talent that should be of the board somewhere in Rd 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think it's time for that type of investment. 

+1...lets double down

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I simply don't see a rookie WR coming into this read and react offense, with TB putting such premium of protecting the ball and no INT's  and demanding the WR to be in the spot expected, and making a big impact in year #1. 

The WR's discussed on this board are players that can make plays on the thrown ball, using their athleticism, speed, and strength to make the catch. The Pats offense throws that type of pass once in twenty throws. They want the ball out of Brady's hand quickly, and want the WR to be in the exact spot he should be in, with the emphasis on not turning he ball over. 

So what does this mean? Never draft a WR or change the offense? 

I agree in part with the premise, but isn't it clear with some of the WR moves, the pats may be looking to change things up a bit ? If bb wanted to stand pat and duplicate years past with premium put on the short ball, he would have signed the best in the business in welker and be done with it.

i think what we are seeing is again, an evolution of the offense. We have plenty of guys that can get open underneath and in the short game, but very much need a WR that can open the field up a bit...even if that type of throw occurs every 10-15 plays or so, it makes opposing defenses defend that part of the field and they can't key in on the middle and underneath stuff. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

The receivers that have thrived here since BB got here are the ones who are intelligent, run good patterns, work hard, and are willing to do what they are asked - including blocking.

Branch, Givens, Patten, Brown, Welker, Moss.

I think Amendola will fit the mold. I think they should draft for those attributes first and add size or speed as a differentiator rather than a primary trait. Otherwise it will continue to be hit and miss.

Take a flyer in rounds 5-7 on speed or size if you want.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Nothing, they already have what they need. Doubt that BB drafts a WR at all though it wouldn't surprise me to see him ship that third pick off for Sanders. Sanders being a want instead of a need.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd take Bailey if he was there at the end of rd 2... if we pass on Edelman of course, with both Edelman and Amendola here for the next 4-5 years you'd think we'd need a guy with more size/different skills

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

WE don't need another hobbit, we need some big WRs.

My choices are:

Justin Hunter 6'4

Marcus Davis 6'3

Aaron Dobson 6'3

Cordarelle Patterson 6'2

Kennan Allen 6'2

Ryan Swope 6'1

Sections
Shortcuts