Coach Belichick Worried About Extra Draft Picks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Coach Belichick Worried About Extra Draft Picks?

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=36918&pcid=41&rss=1

now im wondering just how many we will use in this draft?or which draft picks gets traded?ive said it before.it wouldnt surprise me to see pick no.23 getting traded.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Re: Coach Belichick Worried About Extra Draft Picks?

The only thing BB has to worry about right now and for the season is Brady's health. We have a very solid team across the board and if we can keep the key injuries to a minimum then we will have a very successful season. It would be very nice to finally beat the Dolts in Indy and then get ready for four consecutive visits from them to Foxboro over the next four years, but the key thing is to keep TB healthy and get into the playoffs. A fourth Lombardi for the decade would be VERY NICE INDEED!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Johnson makes a good point about picks being like money, but as anyone with a 401k can attest, money "in the bank," so to speak, is not necessarily a sound investment. It's a crapshoot, essentially, trading down or out for picks next year -- or up to get a guy you think is just right -- or holding off hoping a guy falls. I think that's why this time of year (free agency and the draft) has become as exciting for football fans as what baseball fans call the "hot stove league" is. Personally, I have a lot of faith in Belichick and -- and this is going to sound a little odd -- I will be very surprised if he doesn't surprise me. I admit I'm not as geeked on all the intricacies of the draft as some of you guys, but the Pats trading out of seven last year -- after they made so much noise over Gholston -- and watching them grab Mayo, who seemed like a reach to me then . . .  and then watching Gholston fall on his face (which I'm sure some of you probably saw coming)  . . .   to me that was entertainment for a whole season.

I can't wait to see what kind of rabbit Belichick pulls out of his hat this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

there is no such thing as too many picks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]there is no such thing as too many picks.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]
    I agree but there is if your low on cap space.but over-all you can always turn them over to the following year,and increase there value.no-way the pats can use everyone in this years draft.you can get a few good players,and then you take the risk with others.so why not invest some for next years draft?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

we cant expect all those draft pick to make the team so using all the picks would be dumb anyways, expect to see BB trade into next years draft with one of those 3 2nd rounders.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Y'all keep talking about trading out to next year . . .

I'm thinking trade up.

But who does BB want?

That's the question.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I would bet my life savings that we dont trade up for anyone. Every year we are going to trade up for someone, last year it was Gholston years before that it was Vilma, before Vilma it was Dwane Roberson the DT and so on and so forth and we NEVER do it. Bill Belichick does not trade up, who knows maybe he shocks me and switches it up but if history tells us anything it tells us we wont trade up so dont get your hopes up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

[QUOTE]I would bet my life savings that we dont trade up for anyone. Every year we are going to trade up for someone, last year it was Gholston years before that it was Vilma, before Vilma it was Dwane Roberson the DT and so on and so forth and we NEVER do it. Bill Belichick does not trade up, who knows maybe he shocks me and switches it up but if history tells us anything it tells us we wont trade up so dont get your hopes up.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

Belichick traded up for Ty Warren, Chad Jackson and Daniel Graham.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

we didnt trade up for Ty Warren, that was teh year everyone said we would trade up for Vilma and in stead we stayed put and drafted Warren I mean I might be wrong but thats what i thought. You are right about Jackson but that was in round two and i was saying that we dont trade up in round one or thats what i meant to say anyways my bad. I dont remember trading up for Graham either but i could be remembering it wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]I would bet my life savings that we dont trade up for anyone. Every year we are going to trade up for someone, last year it was Gholston years before that it was Vilma, before Vilma it was Dwane Roberson the DT and so on and so forth and we NEVER do it. Bill Belichick does not trade up, who knows maybe he shocks me and switches it up but if history tells us anything it tells us we wont trade up so dont get your hopes up.
     Just out of curiousity, how much is your life savings? Mine is $32.73. All or nothing! Bring it on!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

[QUOTE]we didnt trade up for Ty Warren, that was teh year everyone said we would trade up for Vilma and in stead we stayed put and drafted Warren I mean I might be wrong but thats what i thought. You are right about Jackson but that was in round two and i was saying that we dont trade up in round one or thats what i meant to say anyways my bad. I dont remember trading up for Graham either but i could be remembering it wrong.

I agree trading up isn't BB's MO but neither was signing high priced F/As till a few years ago, so we will see. looking forward to it.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Damn, if you'd only asked that "how much is your life savings" question last year, I would have had something to bet with.

$32.71 . . .

I can only imagine such riches.

Cry

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

MVP,

I believe you're thinking of J Wilfork, who fell to NE at #21 the same draft year as Vilma.  NE moved up to the #13 spot to grab Warren the previous year (2003).  I think NE gave up their 3rd round pick to do so.

NE moved up to the #21 spot in 2002 to get Graham. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Oh . . .  and sorry about the two cents, but . . . ya know . . . inflation and all that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Okay, this is Mike asking today's dumb@ss question.

Do you guys know all this draft minutiae or do you google it three seconds before you post?

I'm lucky if I can remember what I had for breakfast.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I think Belichick's "MO" is simply the opposite of what all the "experts" think he's going to do! The main reason I doubt they'll trade up this year is the cap situation. Plus there is no real glaring need for a to 10 or 15 pick. I can see them trading out of 23 if they think the guy they want will slip to 34. With 11 picks I can see them trading out to next year somewhere along the line.It's just so hard to predict what they'll do. As soon as you think they will or won't do something they go ahead and do it! It sure makes draft time interesting!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/general/draft/2003.jsp

NE traded up 1 spot (14 to 13) to get Warren in 2002.  They traded up 11 spots  (32 to 21) to get Graham the previous year.

BB could trade up if someone on their board's top 10 falls to 14-18, they could trade down and pick up more spots from the #23, or they could trade into next year.  If they do trade down from the #23, they could then package those picks to  move up in the 2nd (get a couple of high 2 rounders) or package some 2nd/3rd/4th round picks for higher picks in 2010.

Some way or another, BB will move some picks to 2010.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

They did in fact trade up for Warren. And they traded out another first IIRC. Warren was regarded as a "reach" at #13.

The bottom line is that when they see a player they want, they get him-- regardless of where other people think that player should go.

In fact, this year and that year have similarities. In both years Ne had four picks in the first two rounds. That year they traded some out and some up.

That year they netted Warren, Wilson and Bethel Johnson in the first two rounds. Aside from Johnson the other two worked out. Although Wilson left for more money. LOL. And they used Baltimore's pick in 2004 to grab Fork.

That doesn't mean they will though this season. The following year they used all of their selections in the first two rounds except one that was traded out, IIRC.

The difference is that players like Vilma have no shot on a NE defense, and players like Gholston are everything NE tends to avoid in the draft.

I won't rule out a trade anywhere, except on a player by player basis.

So if someone proposes it, the only requisite is that they name the player and partner. Just saying NE will trade for the sake of it is numb-skull stuff, and shows no appreciation for how player oriented the draft really is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]Okay, this is Mike asking today's dumb@ss question. Do you guys know all this draft minutiae or do you google it three seconds before you post? I'm lucky if I can remember what I had for breakfast.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

That's what I want to know.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=36918&pcid=41&rss=1 now im wondering just how many we will use in this draft?or which draft picks gets traded?ive said it before.it wouldnt surprise me to see pick no.23 getting traded.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

It's really funny. Sort of like complaining about the amount of taxes deducted from your 100 million dollar lottery win.

No one will know what BB is going to do on draft day until after he makes the deal. The ESPN pinheads will be tossing theories and rumors around but they will meaningless. It makes for good comedy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]The Patriots traded up to get Ty Warren, Chad Jackson, Matthew Slater, Daniel Graham, Matt Light, and I am sure there are several others so I am not sure what you are talking about.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

prairiemike:I just got a notice in my mail that I got a raise exactly 36.00 dollars a month more than I was previously making!!So count me in on the bet!BB isn't going to trade up unless Curry drops to the 14th pick at least.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I stand corrected on our draft history but i still say we wont trade up this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I have to agree that the pats wont trade up.im actually thinking they ethier trade no.23,or trade out of it.unless there is a huge name sitting there.

Sections
Shortcuts