Cold Hard FB Facts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Cold Hard FB Facts

I knew something looked better about the defense.

You might have whiplash if you followed the sudden and unexpected improvement in New England's pass defense.

As recently as Thanksgiving, New England ranked a dismal 27th in www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/2_999_Def._Passer_Rating.html" target="new">Defensive Passer Rating (94.7). No team in history had won a championship with a pass defense even close to that porous. The Patriots weren't going to win one either.

Here's the performance of QBs against New England's defense through 10 games:

• 275 of 396, 69.4%, 3,002 yards, 7.58 YPA, 20 TDs, 13 INTs, 94.7 rating

But look again. Here's the performance of QBs against New England's defense in the past six games:

• 114 of 216, 52.8%, 1,343 yards, 6.2 YPA, 5 TDs, 12 INTs, 56.5 rating

Wow. What a difference. As a result, the Patriots end the year a respectable 13th in Defensive Passer Rating (81.2), about the leaguewide average. And they finish second in Passer Rating Differential (+28.5). The average NFL champion, dating all the way to 1940, has posted a www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/2_2865_2009_Passer_Rating_Differential.html" target="new">Passer Rating Differential of +27.0.

Dominate the air wars, dominate on the scoreboard. And over the past six weeks nobody has dominated the passing battles on both sides of the ball like New England.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/01/04/nfl-playoffs/index.html#ixzz1A8dT2lZP

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Cold Hard FB Facts

yeah but don't you remember these are the stats "analysts" don't care about. They would rather talk up our defense's flaws. I like it though because it has to give BB some bulletin board material. Our defense only real problem is stopping teams on 3rd down, especially in long yardage situations. Seriously, we have teams 3rd and 8 or longer and they always seem to pick up just enough to keep the drive going. Sure we make the stops, but if we could improve on stopping teams on 3rd down we can get Brady back on with better field position. However, if this defense wants to keep making big plays with fumbles and INT, then that is fine with me. We always find a way to win the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Here are the QB rankings of the opposing QB's in your last 6 games:

Hill - 23
    Sanchez - 27
    Cutler - 16
    Flynn - unlisted
    Fitzpatrick - 22
    Henne - 26 / Thigpen - unlisted

You played one QB listed in the top half of the league during that run and he is at the bottom of the top half.  One thing Belichick knows how to do is take advantage of suspect QB's. 

That said, the pats were still 8-2 vs. a group of very good QB's and credit must be given here.  Passer rating is worth something but not nearly as much as a W. 

the passer rating rankings of the pats potential opponents in th playoffs are:  

Sanchez - 27
    Cassel - 8    
    Flacco - 7
    Roethlisberger - 5   

It appears that things will get tougher for the pats.
    Manning - 10

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

With BB having a week off to draw up gameplans for 3 different teams, with most of the focus on KC since they haven't faced them yet, I would argue it gets tougher for any Wild Card weekend team coming into Foxborough.

This is where BB and Brady's only one loss came with a ridiculous amount of injuries and a team that didn't have many weapons left.

I hope trolls like you enjoyed the small window you had in 2008 and 2009.

Keep looking at 2008 and 2009, rube.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I would like to thank underdogg(gggg) for pointing out that "things will get tougher" in the playoffs.

That is good information to have.

Undecided

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Russ - You are the only one here who mentioned 08 and 09.  Thus, the rube is you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

UD6 has a wealth of interesting nuggets as an NFL fan.  He's just the best.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts:
    [QUOTE]Russ - You are the only one here who mentioned 08 and 09.  Thus, the rube is you.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

The only loss for Brady was last year when he had 3 broken ribs, yet you somehow pretend it on;y gets MORE difficult just for NE, even though they are at home.

Brady is what 27-1 at home, since 2007?

Has Belichick even lost a game (ever) coming off a Bye week?

How is the road not tougher for NE's Divisional round opponent?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]I would like to thank underdogg(gggg) for pointing out that "things will get tougher" in the playoffs. That is good information to have.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Thank you. 

You'd think the obvious would be unnecessary, but then you've got locals eating up (pun intended) the local food and beer writer's (with a new shiny national platform) homerism.   

I've got to keep it real, and as the board's head of stat hating, I expected a little more love.  Alas. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yes. the Boston media is known for its homerism and Boston fans are not knowledgeable, objective nor have they seen every single variance in success, or lack thereof, with their sports teams through each's long and storied histories.

Good one.  You're like the stoner lawyer who thinks he has the court room fooled, but is really being laughed at the whole time.

Christ, you get more stupid by the day, Undies.

You keep bringing up where this guy has worked before, but you fail to dispute the facts.

I bet you can't figure out why the column is called Cold, Hard Football FACTS, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : The only loss for Brady was last year when he had 3 broken ribs, yet you somehow pretend it on;y gets MORE difficult just for NE, even though they are at home. Brady is what 27-1 at home, since 2007? Has Belichick even lost a game (ever) coming off a Bye week? How is the road not tougher for NE's Divisional round opponent?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Man your english teacher must have hated you.  You've totally missed the point. 

Lets make it elementary for you:

* the poster was initially worried about the pats playoff prospects given their poor defensive passer rating through their first 10 games. 
    * his opinion, through Byrne's column, however has changed because the pats defensive passer rating got substantially better due to great play over the final 6 games. 
    * my point was that the pats final 6 games were played against substandard QB's which helped the defense improve its defensive passer rating. 
    *  In the playoffs, with the exception of Sanchez, the pats will face significantly better QB's which will make things more difficult for them. 
    *  my point had nothing to do with whether or not things will be more difficult for the pats opponents.  that's a given. 

Finally, this was not even an indictment of the pats - more of the column - or at least the poster's response to the column.  In fact, I specifically noted that the pats had a very good record (aside from their poor defensive passer rating) over the first 10 games and that is what should matter. 

Russ - your ineptitude (or at least your inability to comprehend due to blind loyalty) is occassionally exhausting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

No, no, no. I get the crux of the point.  Your problem is, you don't have a clue why I am referencing Brady's 27-1 record since 2007 at Foxborough.

What you don't get is the Pats offense has set up the Pats defense better as the year has gone on, dumbo.

The more balanced this offense is, and as more devastating it is than the 2007 offense, the more the D can take chances, play with more confidence, etc.

Guess who leads the Pats offense, Corky?!!

It's exactly what many people said here back in August. This offense as a chance to mask the D';s deficiencies early in the year, to give it time to grow.

You also contradicted yourself/spoke out of both sides of your mouth again (what a shock) when you said their production only recently came against average QBs.

Then, you turned around and said they also played well against good QBs.

So, what exactly is your point?

This Pats D rotates in essentially two sets of players with ease.  They are versatile and can line up in multiple spots in man or zone coverage.

No other defense in the entire NFL can say that.  FACT.

You haven't realized this yet, but your IQ is so far below mine, you walk into the wall before you open your mouth.

Funny how my "blind loyalty" back in August has proven to absolutely spot on from the get go, isn't it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Russ- make whatever point you like - but don't try to suggest that it is somehow in the same context of the thread. 

The original point had nothing to do with past years or the Brady/Belichick record at home (the point you wish to make). 

You don't have to like what I said.  It doesn't change its reality.  The QB's the pats faced in the last 6 games were generally bottom dwellers from a passer rating perspective.  Simple deduction would suggest that the pats D would play better against these QB's, and they did.

And no, I did not talk out of both sides of my mouth.  What I said was despite, the poor passer rating vs. better QB's in the first 10 games, the pats still produced an 8-2 record, and that is most important.  I am giving credit where it due you mental midget. 

Finally, I just realized who your bluster reminds me of - Rex Ryan. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Lace Panties,

Funny how all we heard about was how impressive Sanchez, Cutler, Fitzpatrick, etc all were, and when the blueprint is put out by BB (two of these QBs are playoff QBs), you pretend they are "cellar dweller" QBs. Sanchez is, Cutler is not.

At least this year.

NE also pasted Gomer to the tune of 3 INTs.

They befuddled Roethlisturd as well.  Both of these QBs have skewed numbers with late, garbage time comebacks.

See, some of us actually watch these games.

NE's D held good QBs like Rivers down, and dismantled the average ones.

Your point is moot and/or stupid.  NE's D is not afraid of any QB.

Flynn had the best game against NE simply because they hadn't seen much of Flynn before to study.

Glad I could help.  You need it.

I just realized who you remind me of:  Forrest Gump. All dressed up and no place to go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Pats are going to the SB. I just don't see anyone beating them in the playoffs. Especially after INDY moved to the PITT bracket and SD decided to stay at home. 

Baltimore, KC or NYJ, they're all going down. And we dismantled PITT in PITT, they're going down too. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

[QUOTE]UD, To your first point regarding the ratings of the QB's over the Pats last six games. I'd like to remind you that three of those teams are in the play-offs. I agree these guys aren't front line, playoff proven QB's but their teams are in the play-offs none the less. To your second point about how things will get tougher you may want to re-visit that one closer to home. Let's see.......the Colts only played three teams that are in the play-offs this year and lost two of them. The only win was against KC, at home, by a sparse 19-9 score. The Pats had seven (7) games this year against playoff teams and went 6-1. The one loss was pre Moss's departure and Mankins return. Let me also remind you that the Colts were 6-6 going into December and did pull off their final four to get in. All four of them were close, down to the wire nail biters. Two with Tenn, One with Oak and one with Jacksonville. All mediocre teams that didn't make the tourney. You remind me of one of my neighbors. I keep my yard looking fantastic at all times yet my neighbor let's his go to pot. The funny thing is it never stops him from making a comment about what I should do with my yard to make it look better. You know what I always tell him?
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Funniest thing I have read in a while - it absolutely describes UD's presence on this board:)

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : Man your english teacher must have hated you.  You've totally missed the point.  Lets make it elementary for you: * the poster was initially worried about the pats playoff prospects given their poor defensive passer rating through their first 10 games.  * his opinion, through Byrne's column, however has changed because the pats defensive passer rating got substantially better due to great play over the final 6 games.  * my point was that the pats final 6 games were played against substandard QB's which helped the defense improve its defensive passer rating.  *  In the playoffs, with the exception of Sanchez, the pats will face significantly better QB's which will make things more difficult for them.  *  my point had nothing to do with whether or not things will be more difficult for the pats opponents.  that's a given.  Finally, this was not even an indictment of the pats - more of the column - or at least the poster's response to the column.  In fact, I specifically noted that the pats had a very good record (aside from their poor defensive passer rating) over the first 10 games and that is what should matter.  Russ - your ineptitude (or at least your inability to comprehend due to blind loyalty) is occassionally exhausting.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

geesz i thought your post meant all the other qbs s*cked but it would get harder IF we faced gomer(after you fluffed him)  you are his fluff boy right??

not sure your boy will get by the jests but because they are bigger frauds than the gomers team they might... but if that is the case ...they wont get by the squealers...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Underpanties finished.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]UD, To your first point regarding the ratings of the QB's over the Pats last six games. I'd like to remind you that three of those teams are in the play-offs. I agree these guys aren't front line, playoff proven QB's but their teams are in the play-offs none the less. To your second point about how things will get tougher you may want to re-visit that one closer to home. Let's see.......the Colts only played three teams that are in the play-offs this year and lost two of them. The only win was against KC, at home, by a sparse 19-9 score. The Pats had seven (7) games this year against playoff teams and went 6-1. The one loss was pre Moss's departure and Mankins return. Let me also remind you that the Colts were 6-6 going into December and did pull off their final four to get in. All four of them were close, down to the wire nail biters. Two with Tenn, One with Oak and one with Jacksonville. All mediocre teams that didn't make the tourney. You remind me of one of my neighbors. I keep my yard looking fantastic at all times yet my neighbor let's his go to pot. The funny thing is it never stops him from making a comment about what I should do with my yard to make it look better. You know what I always tell him?
    Again - I accept and expect that the playoffs will be harder for all teams, including the colts.  In fact, I don't even have significant confidence that the colts will win vs. the jets.  So, while you (like russ) may want to turn the conversation away from my simple statement so that you feel better about yourself, you are not telling me anything about the colts that I don't already know.  Doesn't change my point. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Hard FB Facts : Perhaps Underpuppy will acknowledge his Dolts playoff run was accomplished by playing 5 non-winning teams down the stretch, going 4-1. If anybody knows about how things get tougher in the playoffs, it should be Peyton.  After all, he is on the short list of QB's that have the most dramatic fall off in performance once the real season starts.
    Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

Acknowledged - and again it doesn't change my point. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]qball369, UD's allright. Like my neighbor, he just get's so focused on looking at my yard every once in a while I have to spin him around to see what kind of mess his yard has in it.

spinning indeed. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Underpants with stained panties.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Don't know who ud6 is but not sure why a simple statement of context to stats got everyone so worked up.

I thought it was interesting.

For me thats the ONLY way stats are interesting at all is by adding context to them.

All stats are not equal. I mean who was the oppenent? what was to situation or condition of the match/game? is it individual or team based? Was the game played primarily with a lead or while trailing? Any physical conditions involved like injuries, etc. Any emotional conditions leading into a match/game? ie. An important starter not playing, a coach being fired, etc. So many variables involved to be an accurate representation. You can't remove the human nature aspect of motivation.

You got to believe it is the very reason BB says stats are for losers. yes?

Stats are only a very basic guideline cause there is no weighting typically done to them. Like a win vs a good team counting more than a win vs a poor team. Usually just both wins period. Then you have a win vs a good team but they are decimated with injuries when you played them so is it really more impressive than a win over a completely healthy lesser team etc?

Must be some past annoyances going on here I am unaware of.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

bottom line is about points. in past 2 weeks, we have given up 10 very meaningless points!

Sections
Shortcuts