Collins/Browner

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Collins/Browner

Like I talked about before in the matchup threads, we will see Browner on the oppositions biggest target (if that target isn't the #1 WR) so some games he will line up out wide on an Alshon Jeffery but other games he will line up inside on a J. Thomas type player.

Same goes for Jamie Collins he will take out the opposition's TE if BB isn't manning that guy up. So vs. the Bears, Browner will take Jeffery and Collins will be on Bennett.

With all of the talent coverage wise, BB will be able mix and match a ton of different ways which is going to be huge in case one guy is getting chewed up, we can just switch em out and find a better matchup.

The only thing I would disagree with is that BBrowner will not be covering RBs out of the backfield. They are too small and fast for him to get his hands on and beat up.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Depends on the size of the RB. Collins was good vs RBs last year and is bigger than Browner. I hate to tell you this, but Mayo and Hightower, as our most bigger LBs, are not good against small RBs out of the backfield.

They are the two best options we have in the box who can do that and cover in the box.

I think Mayo is fine covering most RBs out of the backfield but for a select few like Sproles or Woodhead. Collins is easily the best option to cover RBs out of the backfield now and Mayo could do it as well.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Depends on the size of the RB. Collins was good vs RBs last year and is bigger than Browner. I hate to tell you this, but Mayo and Hightower, as our most bigger LBs, are not good against small RBs out of the backfield.

They are the two best options we have in the box who can do that and cover in the box.

I think Mayo is fine covering most RBs out of the backfield but for a select few like Sproles or Woodhead. Collins is easily the best option to cover RBs out of the backfield now and Mayo could do it as well.

Agreed

I think Mayo will be in more coverage, while Hightower and Collins do more of the RB coverage. Collins can still pull back and cover a short pass while they send Hightower in for the RB. Mayo does everything well and I see Collins doing everything well also, while Hightower isn't so good in coverage and I see him taking over Spikes roll more than anyone else.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Collins has all the tools to be a special player.  He single handedly wrecked the Colts last year.  He seemed to improve with each game.  I'm looking forward to a big year from him.

That said, does it really matter since we all know the selfish and insubordinate Brady will choke come playoff time and blow another chance for us to win a Super Bowl.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

Agreed

I think Mayo will be in more coverage, while Hightower and Collins do more of the RB coverage. Collins can still pull back and cover a short pass while they send Hightower in for the RB. Mayo does everything well and I see Collins doing everything well also, while Hightower isn't so good in coverage and I see him taking over Spikes roll more than anyone else.

If Collins does play as hoped, I see Hightower as a 2 down player in this defense. BAsed on where he was drafted, that is disappointing.

•  

In response to rkarp's comment:

Agreed

If Collins does play as hoped, I see Hightower as a 2 down player in this defense. BAsed on where he was drafted, that is disappointing.

That makes no sense, rkrap.  That is, if you are not trying to troll.

In a 4-3 defense your base includes 3 linebackers.  Hightower is the strong side starting lb.

Taking over for spikes does not mean hightower will be subbed for on 3rds.

Leave it to you to misinterpret someone's comment intentionally to troll.

Hightower will be back to his rookie year spot.  Are you aware how good of a rookie year he had, dribblebib?

the Pats were in a base D approx. 34% of defensive snaps last year. IMO it is either Hightower or Mayo who will come out and be replaced with a nickel or dime DB..or perhaps Browner in a big nickel role (Chung?)

I would assume this year that the PAts will play a base 4-3 a similar percentage of the snaps...or maybe even fewer based on the DB talent they have assembled.

That being said, perhaps Hightower would move up to a DLine rush position, but all things being equal, I see him as the player coming off the field most often in a sub defense...

You label it trolling because BB picked Hightower not only in the first round, but traded up to get him. I label it a disappointment. I like what Hightower brings to the table, but feel what he does bring could have been had with a lower round draft choice, or a less expensive free agent signing.  

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In Denver Play-off game Collins covered Demaryius Thomas on a number of plays. Lot of people didn't pick that up. Me Likey. He did a good job too. Wish we had another.
    When BB gives that responsibility to a LB, against a WO a good one, you know you got something special.

Agreed

In a 4-3 defense your base includes 3 linebackers.  Hightower is the strong side starting lb.

Hightower will be back to his rookie year spot.  Are you aware how good of a rookie year he had, dribblebib?

the Pats were in a base D approx. 34% of defensive snaps last year. IMO it is either Hightower or Mayo who will come out and be replaced with a nickel or dime DB..or perhaps Browner in a big nickel role (Chung?)

I would assume this year that the PAts will play a base 4-3 a similar percentage of the snaps...or maybe even fewer based on the DB talent they have assembled.

That being said, perhaps Hightower would move up to a DLine rush position, but all things being equal, I see him as the player coming off the field most often in a sub defense...

You label it trolling because BB picked Hightower not only in the first round, but traded up to get him. I label it a disappointment. I like what Hightower brings to the table, but feel what he does bring could have been had with a lower round draft choice, or a less expensive free agent signing.  

I go by production and impact.  Hightower was very good as a rookie and not as comfortable last year thrown into the mayo role.

For you to already call him a disapppointment is pathetic.

I didn't call him a disappointment. I said his production vs where he was drafted is disappointing. I also said I liked what Hightower brought to the table as a player, but he is a 2 down player on this defense

Please explain to me how Hightower is not the player to come off the field 65% of the snaps? (assuming no injuries)

Wouldn't you rather have Ryan, Browner, Revis, Arrington and Dennard on the field on passing downs or against 3 wide outs or against 2 TE's, rather than Hightower 2 steps behind his coverage responsibility?

Knowing you, since you have been proven wrong yet again, you will not reply with a foot ball comment, but point out a spelling error and my MBA 

•  

Agreed

I go by production and impact.  Hightower was very good as a rookie and not as comfortable last year thrown into the mayo role.

For you to already call him a disapppointment is pathetic.

I didn't call him a disappointment. I said his production vs where he was drafted is disappointing. I also said I liked what Hightower brought to the table as a player, but he is a 2 down player on this defense

Please explain to me how Hightower is not the player to come off the field 65% of the snaps? (assuming no injuries)

Wouldn't you rather have Ryan, Browner, Revis, Arrington and Dennard on the field on passing downs or against 3 wide outs or against 2 TE's, rather than Hightower 2 steps behind his coverage responsibility?

Knowing you, since you have been proven wrong yet again, you will not reply with a foot ball comment, but point out a spelling error and my MBA 

That is scheme specific.  Many talented lbs might come off thr field.

Not every player is going to be all pro.  That is like saying ty warren was a disapppointment because jarvis green came on as a sub rusher.

it really is not scheme specific, as todays NFL has the sub defense really as the base defense.

you can try to put words in my mouth all day long, but at the end of the day, the Pats traded up for a first rd draft choice that is a 2 down player. No knock on Hightower, he did not draft himself. He is a very good player when playing in his comfort zone. Simply put, his comfort zone is 2 downs.

•  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I think its obvious that Hightower will be a 2-down player because the nickel is used a lot, BUT that if he isn't used as a sub DE which I really think we may see this season. I wouldn't mind letting him loose off the end on 3rd downs in place of Nink. He did that in college and his size and speed could make him very effective off the end

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Hightower is considerably more athletic and mobile than Spikes, he is not a two down player.  Even on third and long he might be the best pass rusher up the middle.  Having a middle linebacker with his mass allows you to go smaller and quicker along the D line, if he turns the corner this year without Spikes and healthy D tackles in front of him, a lot of Hightower comments and threads could look pretty comical in hindsight.

• Sections
    Shortcuts