Collins To Be Part of Improvement for Pass Rush?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Collins To Be Part of Improvement for Pass Rush?

"

The linebacker position isn't dying in the NFL, but it's certainly changing, and New England Patriots linebacker Jamie Collins may be the next big breakout player to benefit from the shift.

Many football purists may pine for the days of Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis or Mike Singletary, but the game has moved on from that paradigm of impact defensive players. Not to say that those players wouldn't still be All-Pros—of course they would! Rather, the way offenses attack defenses these days changes the type of linebacker teams are looking for out of the college ranks.

Note: We're not talking about one-dimensional pass-rushers here. In a way, that position has become a hybrid that is hardly even described with the word "linebacker" anymore. No, this is about the next in a long line of do-it-all/traditional linebackers who can effect the game in any number of ways.

We've already witnessed quite the spate of this new breed of linebacker entering the league. From the Carolina Panthers' tackle machine Luke Kuechly to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' extremely active Lavonte David (a favorite of B/R's Matt Bowen) and the Arizona Cardinals' talented but troubled Daryl Washington, there are plenty of guys who can lay claim to being one of the best young linebackers in the league.

Who's next?

Arguments could be made, of course, for a rookie like C.J. Mosley of the Baltimore Ravens or another second-year player like the Oakland Raiders' Sio Moore, but all the signs point to Jamie Collins being the next young linebacker to become a household name.

"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2109168-is-jamie-collins-the-next-great-breakout-linebacker

-------

I'm hoping he has a huge 2nd year leap.  Expectations are high. It seems as though he has the greatest upside potential on the team.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Collins To Be Part of Improvement for Pass Rush?

Would love to see Collins and Hightower both used a lot in the pass rush. 

Hightower had a great rookie season and didnt make the leap because of injury circumstances last season but I fully expect him back on track next season too. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Hightower as a hand in the dirt  DE this season. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm high on Collins, I'm looking forward to him having a great season this season.  One of the guys I am most excited about.  But who am I kidding, there are a lot of reasons to be excited about this defense this season.  If only they can stay away from the injury bug.  Fingers crossed!!

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I would love to have a dominate linebacker in this defense. Look don't get me wrong, Mayo is an amazing LB and one of the best in the leagues. However, he does everything well except intimidate the QB. Collins is the type of LB that with the surrounding cast wreck havoc in the minds of opposing QB's. This is good for the rest of the LB corp, maybe we can stop giving up those easy dump passes that go for 8-20 yards.

I've seen Collins do everything from rush the passer, cover WR's, bat down beautiful passes and everything else in between. Sure this was all in a short period of time, but he did it in a big game also! You don't usually see rookies make even an immediate impact of Collins presence. He might not become hands down the best LB in the league, but  arguably top 5 is not out of the question for Collins to attain in the next year or so.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I, too, am a big Collins fan.  I see him playing an increasingly important role in the pass D this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the sky is the limit for him, I don't think are many people that physically do what Collins can. If you take a look at his combine numbers you will see that the guy is an absolute freak - he holds the record for the long jump - and has a ridiculous vertical.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

It will actually be Hightower to help most in this area, not Collins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree, in certain situations, would rather have situational Pass Rushers, and having this kid covering. Especially the TE's on third down. He can run with any TE in the NFL, plus he's tall.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Watching Hightower as a Rookie, been wanting him to Rush more. Very strong, pushes the Pocket. Also he's not good at covering.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Collins was having all the success as last season ended.  Of course he needs to rush more. 

Collins is a defensive problem because he covers like a safety, but he has enough bulk to pass-rush over a running back and the speed to get around a heavyfoot. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

This happened last year,  3rd and 12, Pats rushed Collins, Manning took 2 seconds, to dump off the Ball, to Ball. Pass Rush was negated, because of quick play. Hightower covered Ball, he caught it, out ran him for 13 yards 1st down.  Collins would have ran him down or at least was more favorable  personnel match-up. Manning spotted this quickly, out thought Patricia.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree...Collins will be on the outside and most likely won't be coming off the field in any situations...Hightower will. And I think Collins has rare pass rush skills that can't be taught (explosiveness). I do think Hightower has shown a little something in that area, but he will be playing inside and might even come off on passing downs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree...Collins will be on the outside and most likely won't be coming off the field in any situations...Hightower will. And I think Collins has rare pass rush skills that can't be taught (explosiveness). I do think Hightower has shown a little something in that area, but he will be playing inside and might even come off on passing downs.

[/QUOTE]
    I think with the depth and versatility in the secondary and the skill sets of the Collins, Mayo and Hightower I think we are going to see many different looks based on the down, distance, score, opponent and time they are at in the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Collins will Dominate this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I think with the depth and versatility in the secondary and the skill sets of the Collins, Mayo and Hightower I think we are going to see many different looks based on the down, distance, score, opponent and time they are at in the game.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah it should be interesting, on paper this is the best secondary we have had in some time. When I think of what Jaime Collins could potentially turn into I get excited because I don't think I've seen so much talent in one of our defenders in a long time. Mayo is a talented guy...strong and he's got an explosive power to his game, but he can't move like Collins...few can at his size and height. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah it should be interesting, on paper this is the best secondary we have had in some time. When I think of what Jaime Collins could potentially turn into I get excited because I don't think I've seen so much talent in one of our defenders in a long time. Mayo is a talented guy...strong and he's got an explosive power to his game, but he can't move like Collins...few can at his size and height. 

[/QUOTE]

Barring injury and after the Browner suspension is up I look forward to the different personnel groupings we are going to see based on down and distance. Be interesting to see if they stack CJ and Collins on the same side every once in a while on 3rd and longs. It would certainly give the QB, LT and RB to that side something to think about.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

I think the big question for the Pats' D this year is can the DL generate a pass rush without having to blitz. A lot of this will be dependant upon the health of Wilfork and Kelly and their ability to collapse the pocket and occupy more than 2 opposing offensive linemen. Can Easley contribute right away and give the Pats a solid DT rotation? This would free up Chandler, Nink, and hopefully W. Smith to be one on one with a tackle. I'm hoping Buchanan can also add something as a pass rushing DE.

If the DL can provide a consistent pass rush, the Pats could use Collins as an occasional blitzer or other times covering the TE or backs in the flat. I think they could really utilize JC to the max if the opposing offense didn't know what he was doing.

Personally I think Collins would be a better fit playing closer to the line of scrimmage and disrupting an offense with his strength and explosiveness. This way he would always need to be accounted for by either a TE or OL. On the other hand it's not a bad alternative having him cover a TE downfield but I think he would be away from the action too often.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the big question for the Pats' D this year is can the DL generate a pass rush without having to blitz. A lot of this will be dependant upon the health of Wilfork and Kelly and their ability to collapse the pocket and occupy more than 2 opposing offensive linemen. Can Easley contribute right away and give the Pats a solid DT rotation? This would free up Chandler, Nink, and hopefully W. Smith to be one on one with a tackle. I'm hoping Buchanan can also add something as a pass rushing DE.

If the DL can provide a consistent pass rush, the Pats could use Collins as an occasional blitzer or other times covering the TE or backs in the flat. I think they could really utilize JC to the max if the opposing offense didn't know what he was doing.

Personally I think Collins would be a better fit playing closer to the line of scrimmage and disrupting an offense with his strength and explosiveness. This way he would always need to be accounted for by either a TE or OL. On the other hand it's not a bad alternative having him cover a TE downfield but I think he would be away from the action too often.

[/QUOTE]

Although it's very difficult for most teams, it would be awesome if the Patiots DL can harass opposing QBs with just 3 players.

On the other side of the ball, the OL have been occasionally suspect keeping Brady from being harassed when just 3 defenders are being rushed. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Mayo is solid, but it seems like he's 1 step too slow to get to QB in time....lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Hightower isn't explosive, as in first few steps, but once he gets going he is extremely strong. He pushes the Pocket, where it is hard for QB to step up. He was doing it a lot as a Rookie. Last year not so much, because Patricia stopped blitzing him. Still not sold on Patricia.

Blitzes are suppose to make Offenses throw the ball quickly, you need coverage when this happens. Right Personnel in coverage, is probably more important than just blitzing LB.

When teams start thinking Hightower is coming then you use Collins, to mess with them. Anyway you look at it RB's and TE's is a big mismatch for Hightower. Not for Collins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hightower isn't explosive, as in first few steps, but once he gets going he is extremely strong. He pushes the Pocket, where it is hard for QB to step up. He was doing it a lot as a Rookie. Last year not so much, because Patricia stopped blitzing him. Still not sold on Patricia.

Blitzes are suppose to make Offenses throw the ball quickly, you need coverage when this happens. Right Personnel in coverage, is probably more important than just blitzing LB.

Then teams start thinking Hightower is coming then you use Collins, to mess with them. Anyway you look at it RB's and TE's is a big mismatch for Hightower. Not for Collins.

[/QUOTE]
    Good post.  I'm not sold on Patricia either.  I suppose we have to give him a pass for last years D because of all the injuries.