Colts 2010 "D" Will Be Ten Times Better...Says Powers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Re: Colts 2010 "D" Will Be Ten Times Better...Says Powers

All indications are that they should be better. 

Obviously, that assumes health which no one can predict.  But, assuming health, the DL shouldn't lose anything.  That said, the interior of the DL has always been and still is the D's biggest weakness.  My feeling is that the only way the interior of the DL is better is if Moala starts to produce.  Its his second year and conventional wisdom says he should be.  We'll see. 

The linebackers should be better.  Not brackett.  He's as good as he'll be.  Session really came into his own last year.  Some are predicting a breakout year for Wheeler.  We'll see.  Angerer should provide some depth. 

The secondary should be significantly better.  Much of the season last year they started 2 rookies who weren't slated to be starters and Melvin Bullitt in place of Bob Sanders.  The former rookies got great experience and Powers should be a good one.  Bullitt is an effective safety but he's not Bob Sanders.  If Sanders is healthy and can stay healthy then the DB's should be good.  We lost some depth with the loss of our 3rd rd draft pick Kevin Thomas, but picked up Deshea Townsend as his replacement.  We'll see if Townsend has anything left. 

Overall, I think things look good, but you know that I have bemoaned the interior of the Dline.  If they are better, we should be pretty darn good. 

By the way - a tip of the hat to the pats.  As I said earlier today, I listened to a few minutes on Sirius last night and it sounds like Hoyer is a solid back up and Edelman really could be good. 

At lunch, I happened to see a couple of the first 2 series so I saw Brady and the first team.  Oline looked-not bad.  The saints got some push but they generally protected Brady well.  I'll say this though.  Brady really does hold that ball a long time.  Like other QB's, its part of what makes him great, but also susceptible to getting crushed.  Especially is there is any suspect piece to the Oline. 

Manning may have the same issues.  Currently our oline appears to be in shambles.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

They look to be pretty good to me.  His statement sounds like hyperbole to me, but I'm glad he has such confidence. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Colts 2010 "D" Will Be Ten Times Better...Says Powers:
    [QUOTE]They look to be pretty good to me.  His statement sounds like hyperbole to me, but I'm glad he has such confidence. 
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

I don't know about being "ten times better", but I really liked the Hughes pick. The guy had the fastest time of getting off the edge to the QB (1.8 seconds). I agree that their secondary should also be better. But, as Dog(gggg) said, injuries can change things rather quickly. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Yeah -  the "ten times better" thing is just an expression.  I can't imagine that he actually meant that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Do you think age will start becoming a problem?  Freeney is 30, Mathis 29, Clark 31, Wayne 32, Manning 34, Saturday 35, Brackett 30. That's alot of core players getting on the wrong side of 30.  Do they have some youth in waiting on the D-line and o-line.  I know Hughes is a rookie but who else?  Bob Sanders will be an old 29.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah -  the "ten times better" thing is just an expression.  I can't imagine that he actually meant that.
    Posted by underdoggggg[/QUOTE]

That is what I was thinking. Ten times better than top ten is what? Top negative five? The defense will score more points than it allows?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]All indications are that they should be better.  Obviously, that assumes health which no one can predict.  But, assuming health, the DL shouldn't lose anything.  That said, the interior of the DL has always been and still is the D's biggest weakness.  My feeling is that the only way the interior of the DL is better is if Moala starts to produce.  Its his second year and conventional wisdom says he should be.  We'll see.  The linebackers should be better.  Not brackett.  He's as good as he'll be.  Session really came into his own last year.  Some are predicting a breakout year for Wheeler.  We'll see.  Angerer should provide some depth.  The secondary should be significantly better.  Much of the season last year they started 2 rookies who weren't slated to be starters and Melvin Bullitt in place of Bob Sanders.  The former rookies got great experience and Powers should be a good one.  Bullitt is an effective safety but he's not Bob Sanders.  If Sanders is healthy and can stay healthy then the DB's should be good.  We lost some depth with the loss of our 3rd rd draft pick Kevin Thomas, but picked up Deshea Townsend as his replacement.  We'll see if Townsend has anything left.  Overall, I think things look good, but you know that I have bemoaned the interior of the Dline.  If they are better, we should be pretty darn good.  By the way - a tip of the hat to the pats.  As I said earlier today, I listened to a few minutes on Sirius last night and it sounds like Hoyer is a solid back up and Edelman really could be good.  At lunch, I happened to see a couple of the first 2 series so I saw Brady and the first team.  Oline looked-not bad.  The saints got some push but they generally protected Brady well.  I'll say this though.  Brady really does hold that ball a long time.  Like other QB's, its part of what makes him great, but also susceptible to getting crushed.  Especially is there is any suspect piece to the Oline.  Manning may have the same issues.  Currently our oline appears to be in shambles.

You never gave me a definitive answer as to your opinion of Gary Brackett...except to say that he was the 35th rating ILB with some kind of football rating service...lumped in with the Patriots' Gary Guyton. You also stated previously that the Colts had let other LBs better than Brackett go. 

1.) Do you agree with the assessment, that Brackett is the 35th best ILB in the NFL? If not, where do you rank him among the ILB/MLB in the game?

2.) Do you think that the Colts grossly overpaid in resigning him? 

3.) Do you agree or disagree that Brackett has replaced Bob Sanders as "the heart" of the Colts' defensive unit?

4.) How would you rank the Colts' defense compared to the rest of the AFC South? Compared to the rest of the AFC?

These are not "trick questions" Dog(gggg). So, lets' see if you can provide some straight answers, for a change.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Again with the Colts?  For the love of crumb cake .... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Again with the Colts?  For the love of crumb cake .... 
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Again, Mighty One...like it or not, the Colts are the best team in the AFC, until proven otherwise. Accordingly, they're the team that every other AFC team, including the Patriots, must focus upon. That makes whatever happens with them relevant to any general discussion of the NFL...or the Pats.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

But they attract a certain element to this board ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

First, I love crumb cake. Second, Gary Brackett is way better than 35th. Where did that metric come from? I honestly like that dude's game and would have posited him as the heart of the defense even when Bob Sanders was healthy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]But they attract a certain element to this board ...
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Nah...the Indy trolls would be here anyway. But, the minute the Colts start losing, they'll evaporate like snow on the ground, after a warm Spring day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]First, I love crumb cake. Second, Gary Brackett is way better than 35th. Where did that metric come from?

RESPONSE: Ask Underdog(gggg). He came up with that stat. 

I honestly like that dude's game and would have posited him as the heart of the defense even when Bob Sanders was healthy. 

RESPONSE: Apparently, the Dog(gggg) disagrees.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]Do you think age will start becoming a problem?  Freeney is 30, Mathis 29, Clark 31, Wayne 32, Manning 34, Saturday 35, Brackett 30. That's alot of core players getting on the wrong side of 30.  Do they have some youth in waiting on the D-line and o-line.  I know Hughes is a rookie but who else?  Bob Sanders will be an old 29.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    Dallas Clark says it's only a tweak, it's not a hammy or a groin injury even though they wrapped his upper leg.  Anyways, Clark is out for this preseason game and he'll be back in a day or two, "they" say.  These things tend to happen with 31 year old players.  That's why Bill Belichick goes with young squirts. 

Bob Sanders belongs in the Indianapolis Colts' Hall of Fame, with a sign saying, "Fragile, do not touch Mr. Sanders".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts 2010 "D" Will Be Ten Times Better...Says Powers :      You never gave me a definitive answer as to your opinion of Gary Brackett...except to say that he was the 35th rating ILB with some kind of football rating service...lumped in with the Patriots' Gary Guyton. You also stated previously that the Colts had let other LBs better than Brackett go.       1.) Do you agree with the assessment, that Brackett is the 35th best ILB in the NFL? If not, where do you rank him among the ILB/MLB in the game?      2.) Do you think that the Colts grossly overpaid in resigning him?       3.) Do you agree or disagree that Brackett has replaced Bob Sanders as "the heart" of the Colts' defensive unit?      4.) How would you rank the Colts' defense compared to the rest of the AFC South? Compared to the rest of the AFC?      These are not "trick questions" Dog(gggg). So, lets' see if you can provide some straight answers, for a change.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Still no reply to my post above, Dog(gggg)?? LOL!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Is anyone watching the Bengals? They should be a greater concern right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

[QUOTE]Is anyone watching the Bengals? They should be a greater concern right now.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

Yes, The Cincinnati PD.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts 2010 "D" Will Be Ten Times Better...Says Powers : Yes, The Cincinnati PD.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

Ha, classic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]They look to be pretty good to me.  His statement sounds like hyperbole to me, but I'm glad he has such confidence. 
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

No sh*t captain obvious.  I heard the Neverending Story actually had an ending too.  Must have been some type of hyperbole.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]Do you think age will start becoming a problem?  Freeney is 30, Mathis 29, Clark 31, Wayne 32, Manning 34, Saturday 35, Brackett 30. That's alot of core players getting on the wrong side of 30.  Do they have some youth in waiting on the D-line and o-line.  I know Hughes is a rookie but who else?  Bob Sanders will be an old 29.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Shen - Just as the pats go through "restocking" so do the colts.  Guys are getting older. 

I think Freeney will be interesting this year.  He's fallen apart a little as of late and might have been as much of a reason for Indy losing vs. the saints as any.  He was not healthy and NO's offense could not be stopped in the second half.  Brees had all day and couldn't miss. 

Mathis, I think is ok.  He generally plays in spots while Freeney is a fulltime player.  Clark should be ok, but I know the colts will look for viable tightends.  The team has had success in the past with 2 quality TE's = Dilger/Pollard then Pollard/Clark. 

Wayne's been durable, but I think we have seen the future already with the colts WR - Collie, Garcon, Gonzalez. 

I am very concerned about the oline - not just saturday - but the entire line. 

The colts may have drafted Brackett's replacement - Angerer.  I hope so. 

The team has done well enough without Sanders. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts 2010 "D" Will Be Ten Times Better...Says Powers :      You never gave me a definitive answer as to your opinion of Gary Brackett...except to say that he was the 35th rating ILB with some kind of football rating service...lumped in with the Patriots' Gary Guyton. You also stated previously that the Colts had let other LBs better than Brackett go.       1.) Do you agree with the assessment, that Brackett is the 35th best ILB in the NFL? If not, where do you rank him among the ILB/MLB in the game?      2.) Do you think that the Colts grossly overpaid in resigning him?       3.) Do you agree or disagree that Brackett has replaced Bob Sanders as "the heart" of the Colts' defensive unit?      4.) How would you rank the Colts' defense compared to the rest of the AFC South? Compared to the rest of the AFC?      These are not "trick questions" Dog(gggg). So, lets' see if you can provide some straight answers, for a change.

Just because of condescending finish, no thanks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]First, I love crumb cake. Second, Gary Brackett is way better than 35th. Where did that metric come from? I honestly like that dude's game and would have posited him as the heart of the defense even when Bob Sanders was healthy. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]
    Z - there is a site - profootballfocus.com that tries to rate players.  Unfortunately, they have just become a pay website, so you can no longer simply access their rankings. 

Now the Brackett Rating was, to be fair, a combo MLB/ILB rating so it takes into account 3-4 inside backers as well.  Whether or not he is actually the 35th best or not is different than what the ranking does.  It simply takes the criteria it uses and applies it year to year.  In its application last year, Brackett ranked (I think  as TP said) 35th. 

If I recall TP's comments, he said Brackett was one of the best linebackers in the NFL.  I disagree with that.  He's effective.  And he works well within the colts scheme, but not one of the best.  If he was that, he would have at least been voted to a probowl.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Colts 2010 "D" Will Be Ten Times Better...Says Powers:
    [QUOTE]     Colts' 2nd year CB, Jerraud Powers, has stated that the Indy "D" will be "10 times better" than last years' group. Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

LOLLaughing 10 times? no way

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts 2010 "D" Will Be Ten Times Better...Says Powers : Just because of condescending finish, no thanks.

I've never seen a guy so afraid to take a position on his team...LOL!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts 2010 "D" Will Be Ten Times Better...Says Powers :      I've never seen a guy so afraid to take a position on his team...LOL!!!

You crack yourself up.  In response, I'll simply tell you that I have no idea how you could conclude that from my words.  

Sections
Shortcuts