Colts add Kerry Collins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Re: Colts add Kerry Collins

I'll be surprised if he isn't ready to go. Of course he'll have a bigger target on his head than usual but he'll be ready.

It's amazing this hasn't happened sooner with him trying to carry that melon around all the time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Good move, Collins led the Titans to a 14-2 record to win the division in 08. 

Of course many people say it was Haynesworth and the Titans defense that did that. 

Regardless he is a good QB but this current Colts roster looks to be one of the weekest in years.   But is he better than Painter? Yeah, no doubt about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I agree about this Colts team looking like the weakest and years and I don't really understand how it happened. I mean, you have one of the best QBs in NFL history for over a decade, as opposed to a lot of teams, who are constantly looking for a new QB. That frees up a lot of resources to put talent around that guy, you know who your QB is, therefore you know the type of player that would fit well with him.

It just seems like they've been content to let certain key players(Wayne, Clark, Saturday) get older with no real plan in place for how to replace them. I think Collie is an outstanding slot receiver, assuming he lasts long, and Garcon and Blair White have shown flashes, but are they long term answers? Will Anthony Gonzolez ever stay healthy long enough to contribute? It seems like they need some changes in the scouting department, a lot of their high round picks have underachieved in the past few years, they get more production out of late rounders and undrafted guys on a regular basis.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

FTaco - Your comments, to me, don't sound all that different from NE's approach up to 2008(?).  The difference is that the pats will try to trade players that may still have value (see Seymour, Vrabel) while the colts have demonstrated a method of letting a player play out his contract then making an offer and seeing if it sticks. 

Suggesting that the colts haven't tried to reload is wrong.  What they've done is generally a poor job of drafting in some cases recently. 

They tried to retool some of the oline with Ugoh and Pollak - didn't work, so they have tried again this year. 

Tried to replace Stokely at WR with Gonzalez, but he has been unable to stay healthy. 

Tried to bolster RB with Brown.  

Have worked on Dline with Moala and Nevis.  

Have worked on DB.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Colts add Kerry Collins:
    [QUOTE]FTaco - Your comments, to me, don't sound all that different from NE's approach up to 2008(?).  The difference is that the pats will try to trade players that may still have value (see Seymour, Vrabel) while the colts have demonstrated a method of letting a player play out his contract then making an offer and seeing if it sticks.  Suggesting that the colts haven't tried to reload is wrong.  What they've done is generally a poor job of drafting in some cases recently.  They tried to retool some of the oline with Ugoh and Pollak - didn't work, so they have tried again this year.  Tried to replace Stokely at WR with Gonzalez, but he has been unable to stay healthy.  Tried to bolster RB with Brown.   Have worked on Dline with Moala and Nevis.   Have worked on DB.   
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

• So.....prediction this year for your Colts? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Rock - I am going to go with 10-6.  Could be better could be worse. 

1.  I believe Manning will go first game.  The question is will he be ready. 
    2.  The biggest colts concern (aside from Manning is oline).  If Manning were healthy, it would be fine, because he makes them look better. 
    3.  The dline, I actually expect to be better than it has been although I am upset that Hughes may be a bust. 
    4.  LB should be fine even with the loss of Session (who I liked).  The colts played half a season without him and they'll be fine. 
    5.  DB's should be just fine.  The question is can they stay healthy.  If so, we'll have a good unit. 
    6.  WR - this actually is a question b/c once again Gonzalez is hurt.  Time to move on.  That thins out the group b/c everyone wonders if Collie will get concussed again and Blair White is currently hurt.  

So - short story long - when wk 1 comes, I think we'll be ok, but we are not without potential questions or concerns. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

You have a fair point, the Patriots had several weak drafts there, especially 2006 and 2007 and paid for them. The aged defense couldn't close the deal on a perfect season, and and they were forced to dip into trades and FA due to struggles drafting offensive weapons for Brady. If they had drafted say DeAngelo Williams, Jon Beason, and Greg Jennings instead of Laurence Maroney, Brandon Meriweather, and Chad Jackson....there might be another Lombardi or two in the trophy case right now.

I suppose hindsight is 20/20, the 49ers probably still hate themselves for drafting Giovanni Carmazzi only to watch a hometown kid go late in the 6th round and win 3 Super Bowls.

I think the Colts need to start getting the kind of production out of their drafts now that the Pats have for the past few seasons if they want to get another title while Manning is playing. It is also not a bad idea to start looking at options for the future, it is hard to keep playing at a certain age, no matter how good you are.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts add Kerry Collins : Still, Collins is a smart move in comparison to what they've got.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I think the Colts will find a way to win that division.  I was referring to "the Texans will find a way to lose the division".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]You have a fair point, the Patriots had several weak drafts there, especially 2006 and 2007 and paid for them. The aged defense couldn't close the deal on a perfect season, and and they were forced to dip into trades and FA due to struggles drafting offensive weapons for Brady. If they had drafted say DeAngelo Williams, Jon Beason, and Greg Jennings instead of Laurence Maroney, Brandon Meriweather, and Chad Jackson....there might be another Lombardi or two in the trophy case right now. I suppose hindsight is 20/20, the 49ers probably still hate themselves for drafting Giovanni Carmazzi only to watch a hometown kid go late in the 6th round and win 3 Super Bowls. I think the Colts need to start getting the kind of production out of their drafts now that the Pats have for the past few seasons if they want to get another title while Manning is playing. It is also not a bad idea to start looking at options for the future, it is hard to keep playing at a certain age, no matter how good you are.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]
    One of the best cliches ever.  It always applies.  I think its got to be very hard for a team who has been successful to go through wholesale changes.  The colts have nearly changed all of their personnel over the past 5 years save maybe 8 guys.  Manning, Wayne, Clark Saturday, Diem, Freeney, Brackett. 

The fact is they have just drafted poorly and had some bad luck.  Ugoh and Pollak have not been good, although they keep trying with Pollak.  Gonzalez is just really unfortunate.  I feel sorry for any guy that just can't stay healthy.  Brown has been marginal at best and Hughes, although I'll grant him his second year, was nearly non-existent last year.  As a team you just can't miss that frequently at the top of the draft. 

I think the colts had a pretty good draft this year.  What I am actually worried about now is the coaching.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

^And Tom Moore leaving should definetely not be overlooked as something that could have a big impact. He has been with them for Peyton's whole career, they are incredibly lucky to have kept one OC for so long despite their success. It will be interesting to see how much of an effect that will have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]^And Tom Moore leaving should definetely not be overlooked as something that could have a big impact. He has been with them for Peyton's whole career, they are incredibly lucky to have kept one OC for so long despite their success. It will be interesting to see how much of an effect that will have.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]
    On its own, I am not at all concerned about this, but the collective coaching change (New HC, DC, OC, Oline, etc) is a big deal.  Most of these guys were promoted from within so the structure stays the same, but the question is can they be as effective?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I think Houston will finally win the AFC South this year.  Their defense looks much improved and the Colts have all kinds of issues.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Manning wont miss much time and the Colts will still win that div IMO. People are just getting their hopes up. Kerry Collins is a solid back up for now. If Manning misses the first 5 weeks and they go 0-5 then fine I will agree that this is not their year but I dont see that happening.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

I agree with ya MVPkilla on this one. Well stated.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Overall, even if Manning does miss several games(which I doubt), they still take that division. I see the Titans being awful and the Jaguars and Texans always find a way to screw up every time they have a chance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

It sure looks like I called it correctly. (Bottom of page 1)