Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

Ah, yes...what's happening with those lovable Indianapolis Colts, you ask? As usual, they were crushed in another preseason game...this time by the Sam Bradford led St. Louis Rams, 33-10. 

Those who follow the game closely know that the Colts are the Washington Generals of preseason football. They are something like 4-23 in the past six seasons, during the preseason.     

Why? Predominantly because the Colts annually have the worst back-up QBs in the NFL. The latest, and perhaps greatest of these clowns in QB garb is Curtis Painter. Considering how he's played in the opportunities he's been given, one could hypothesize that he keeps his job due to holding compromising photos of Bill Polian and/or Jim Irsay.

Considering that Peyton Manning is now 35 years old, and has a 55 year old neck, one has to wonder why the Colts have failed to take steps to acquire his heir apparent at QB, or at least obtain a competent back-up. Could this be the year when this ommission hits them in the hinny like a mule kick?  http://www.indystar.com/article/20110814/SPORTS15/108140391/Kravitz-Isn-t-about-time-Painter-showed-he-can-handle-his-job-

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

Interesting statement.  So you think they are so poor in the preseason predominantly because of their back up QB?  Really nothing else?

As for hypothesizing, Painter really could be that bad, but as Kravitz notes and the locals know, his opportunities have come with essentially only back ups in the game (2nd half vs. Jets 09, Snowstorm at Buffalo 09). 

I am not defending Painter as capable, but I am suggeting that no one really knows at this time.  The same could have been said of Sorgi.  We shall see.  Orlovsky didn't look any better, nor did Nate Davis, although he did show some escapability. 

The colts look like they may have real issues with their Oline.  Hughes, looks like a bust (which is a concern) as a first rounder and some are gnashing their teeth at taking Hughes over former IU Hoosier and current Ram, Roger Saffold.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan:
    [QUOTE]Interesting statement.  So you think they are so poor in the preseason predominantly because of their back up QB?  Really nothing else? As for hypothesizing, Painter really could be that bad, but as Kravitz notes and the locals know, his opportunities have come with essentially only back ups in the game (2nd half vs. Jets 09, Snowstorm at Buffalo 09).  I am not defending Painter as capable, but I am suggeting that no one really knows at this time.  The same could have been said of Sorgi.  We shall see.  Orlovsky didn't look any better, nor did Nate Davis, although he did show some escapability.  The colts look like they may have real issues with their Oline.  Hughes, looks like a bust (which is a concern) as a first rounder and some are gnashing their teeth at taking Hughes over former IU Hoosier and current Ram, Roger Saffold.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    Colts still have a corp of good receivers on the team, and the D goes as Sanders goes. Mannings, bad neck and all, is still a better qb than most NFL QBs playing today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Colts still have a corp of good receivers on the team, and the D goes as Sanders goes. Mannings, bad neck and all, is still a better qb than most NFL QBs playing today.
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]

Bob Sanders is already gone...to San Dago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

That's the problem they never had a backup plan if pouting went down, they never really develop a QB to come in like Bradt did or cassell did. They always have no-name backups that suck.

dolts are 8-8 this season, houston wins the division at 9-7

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Colts still have a corp of good receivers on the team, and the D goes as Sanders goes. Mannings, bad neck and all, is still a better qb than most NFL QBs playing today.
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]

Sanders is a Charger.  He played 9 of 48 games over the past 3 seasons with the colts.  Basically took the money and ran.  I don't begrudge players getting what they can.  For example, the colts simply couldn't pay Clint Session.  That said, when a player gets a big contract and plays less than 20% of the games (not including the playoffs) under that contract, then leaves for money, there's no love lost for that player. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Sanders is a Charger.  He played 9 of 48 games over the past 3 seasons with the colts.  Basically took the money and ran.  I don't begrudge players getting what they can.  For example, the colts simply couldn't pay Clint Session.  That said, when a player gets a big contract and plays less than 20% of the games (not including the playoffs) under that contract, then leaves for money, there's no love lost for that player. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

dayum....sorry for the loss.  I've always liked him when he was healthy.  Who did colts get to replace him?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting statement.  So you think they are so poor in the preseason predominantly because of their back up QB?  Really nothing else? As for hypothesizing, Painter really could be that bad, but as Kravitz notes and the locals know, his opportunities have come with essentially only back ups in the game (2nd half vs. Jets 09, Snowstorm at Buffalo 09).  I am not defending Painter as capable, but I am suggeting that no one really knows at this time.  The same could have been said of Sorgi.  We shall see.  Orlovsky didn't look any better, nor did Nate Davis, although he did show some escapability.  The colts look like they may have real issues with their Oline.  Hughes, looks like a bust (which is a concern) as a first rounder and some are gnashing their teeth at taking Hughes over former IU Hoosier and current Ram, Roger Saffold.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Nevis is a player. I can tell you that much. The guy is relentless, and though he is an odd size for most teams, he is perfect for what Indy does on defense.

I am still shocked Indy passes on QBs. Maybe they see something in Painter in practice that everyone misses ... but he doesn't even look credible when he gets reps.

That said, everyone here probably forgets thata the season before Cassel got his chance, everyone was saying the same things about him, and no one could understand why Ne liked the guy. He got a few starts ... now he is a pro-bowl QB for another team entirely.

The jury is still out on Painter until he has time to really fail .... but my eyes tell me he doesn't have it. ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Pats have what looks like 2 pretty good backups.  What if Indy comes knocking and offers a second round pick for one of them....  or a number one pick.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Pats have what looks like 2 pretty good backups.  What if Indy comes knocking and offers a second round pick for one of them....  or a number one pick.....
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

IF Indy offered the Pats a #1 pick for Hoyer, I'd take it in a second. Right after the season finishes up. Mallett, I'm holding for a bit to see what I can make of him. I think he has the higher potential of he and Hoyer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Pats have what looks like 2 pretty good backups.  What if Indy comes knocking and offers a second round pick for one of them....  or a number one pick.....

You would take it. But it wouldn't make sense for Indianapolis because they would only be putting themselves in the same position NE is in now. Hoyer is a Fa next season. They don't want him to start now, or next season, but some time down the line.

If any team yeilds selections for Hoyer, they are doing it to get a starter now. Indy needs to draft a QB and sign him through the remainder of Manning's contract.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Why wouldn't Indy acquire Hoyer? They could lock him up long term with a nice backup contract, and have insurance for Gomer both this year and years following should his neck decide to not hold up. Make the trade contingent upon a negotiated long term contract? Don't they have until 3rd week in September to do it?

I didn't realize Hoyer was an FA after this season. The Pats either need to extend him now before his price goes through the roof, or seek a trading partner ASAP. Still plenty of QB need teams out there. Who would be the most likely suspect?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Interesting in seeing you finally admit this.  I'll be in INdy tomorrow to scout your team's practice. Hope you don't mind.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    And this is why you are an idiot.  I've never said anything to the contrary, but leave it to you misinform in an effort to dig. 

Enjoy the practice.  Please wear your pats gear.  I'll be working.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Nevis is a player. I can tell you that much. The guy is relentless, and though he is an odd size for most teams, he is perfect for what Indy does on defense. I am still shocked Indy passes on QBs. Maybe they see something in Painter in practice that everyone misses ... but he doesn't even look credible when he gets reps. That said, everyone here probably forgets thata the season before Cassel got his chance, everyone was saying the same things about him, and no one could understand why Ne liked the guy. He got a few starts ... now he is a pro-bowl QB for another team entirely. The jury is still out on Painter until he has time to really fail .... but my eyes tell me he doesn't have it. ...
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]
    There are alot of good things being said about Nevis, but it sounds like they are playing him out of position. Don't mistake me for any kind of expert, but as described, Nevis appears to be a perfect "undertackle" in our scheme. The colts, however, appear to have him playing the overtackle/nose tackle position. 

There have been some things written about our scheme lately specifically about the DT's.  Our best success was when we had a true NT/Overtackle in Booger McFarland.  With the right size and nastiness, this guy can apparently take on two blockers leaving room for an undersized but quick undertackle (think Warren Sapp) and the ends.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll be watching that. 

As for the QB's, I think they brought in orlovsky to push Painter, but he didn't look particularly good, either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : There are alot of good things being said about Nevis, but it sounds like they are playing him out of position. Don't mistake me for any kind of expert, but as described, Nevis appears to be a perfect "undertackle" in our scheme. The colts, however, appear to have him playing the overtackle/nose tackle position.  There have been some things written about our scheme lately specifically about the DT's.  Our best success was when we had a true NT/Overtackle in Booger McFarland.  With the right size and nastiness, this guy can apparently take on two blockers leaving room for an undersized but quick undertackle (think Warren Sapp) and the ends.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll be watching that.  As for the QB's, I think they brought in orlovsky to push Painter, but he didn't look particularly good, either.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

He played 3 tech at LSU.

Biut don't the Colts have a hsitory of playing incredibly light 3 techs? I mean Raheen Brock is a medium DE, and was the lightest tackle in football ... I think for the Tampa-2 that the Colts run, Nevis actually would fit playing the middle.

Who is taking reps at undertackle now? Moala and Tommie Harris? I guess those guys are heavier.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Lets not kid ourselves here, Manning will play week 1, bad neck and all.

Yes, their back-up is terrible and they won't be winning any games with Painter as the starter but I just dont see Peyton missing week 1.

If I was the Colts though, I'd be worrying about that Oline, an injured Peyton getting blindsided by Mario Williams week one doesn't sound ideal...

Not wishing injury on anyone but Peyton is fragile now and getting macked by a train like Mario won't help his health.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]  Why wouldn't Indy acquire Hoyer? They could lock him up long term with a nice backup contract, and have insurance for Gomer both this year and years following should his neck decide to not hold up. Make the trade contingent upon a negotiated long term contract? ...Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Sure, and then the Red Sox will trade a top prospect to the Yankees to help them out.  Happens all the time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Sanders is a Charger.  He played 9 of 48 games over the past 3 seasons with the colts.  Basically took the money and ran.  I don't begrudge players getting what they can.  For example, the colts simply couldn't pay Clint Session.  That said, when a player gets a big contract and plays less than 20% of the games (not including the playoffs) under that contract, then leaves for money, there's no love lost for that player. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Uh, he was released by the Colts. Right?  Was it ever even established that they tried to get him to redo his contract?  I know there were rumors to that effect, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were no serious discussions.  I mean really, what is a fair amount to pay someone who can't stay on the field?  League minimum?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Wouldn't happen right now, and BB wouldn't do a deal knowing the treasure he has at QB. Niether would get us a first or second unless they have alot of quality playing time under their belts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Every time I count the Colts out...they put together a very good season and are a threat to go all the way. Until people see this offensive line and Manning after 4 or 5 games...you just can't count them out. As much as I hated Manning over the years, he's right there with Brady. I've seen Manning make some throws that are just unbelieveable and I've always thought Freeney was one of the best pass rushers in the nfl. We do look like a much better team on paper...which is funny considering we needed a Sander's interception to put them away last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Interesting in seeing you finally admit this.  I'll be in INdy tomorrow to scout your team's practice. Hope you don't mind.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Hey King and all...according to The Dog(gggg), Sorgi and Painter weren't that bad...but they just never got the chance to show off their wares with the first team. Of course, The Dog(gggg) conveniently leaves out that in most of their outings, they failed to execute against second and third string defenses.  

Yes...we see...LOL!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Every time I count the Colts out...they put together a very good season and are a threat to go all the way. Until people see this offensive line and Manning after 4 or 5 games...you just can't count them out. As much as I hated Manning over the years, he's right there with Brady. I've seen Manning make some throws that are just unbelieveable and I've always thought Freeney was one of the best pass rushers in the nfl. We do look like a much better team on paper...which is funny considering we needed a Sander's interception to put them away last year.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Nobody is counting them out. They are fortunate to be playing in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL...where a 10 win season will once again be good enough to win their division. 

My point is that they have absolutely nothing in the stable to back up Mr. Wonderful. It's been that way for the past 5-6 years. But now, Peyton is 35, has a re-built OL in front of him, and has a 55 year old neck. The law of averages could catch up to them this season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

I am totally against giving up one of our backup QB's to help the Colts, sorry but they are the Colts and i want to see them fold this year.