Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

The Colts lose preseason games because they don't give a cr@p about winning them.  They love to give people like Freeney, Wayne, and Clark the day off and see what their back-ups can do against other teams' starters.  That being said, Painter is not that good of a back-up QB.  Not nearly the player that Sorgi was.  But I ask you this: do you really think there's a chance that Manning won't be there come game 1? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan:
    [QUOTE]The Colts lose preseason games because they don't give a cr@p about winning them.  They love to give people like Freeney, Wayne, and Clark the day off and see what their back-ups can do against other teams' starters.  That being said, Painter is not that good of a back-up QB.  Not nearly the player that Sorgi was.  But I ask you this: do you really think there's a chance that Manning won't be there come game 1? 
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

Painter is not that good of a back-up...and not nearly the player that Sorgi was? LOL!!! Got news for you, Jules. Sorgi was a horrible back-up...and...by your own admission, Painter is not nearly the player that Sorgi was? 

If you let Painter and/or Sorgi lead the Indy offense against a defense of 11 tackling dummies, the Colts might score 20 points over 4 quarters.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'd be shocked if Manning isn't in game one, but I think the question is will he look the same as he did the start of 2008 missing time on the practice field. Next question is how fast can he get back to being the 2nd best QB in the game.

Curious Colts fans if Manning got knocked out game 1 and missed the entire season how many wins would you give your team for the year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan :      Hey King and all...according to The Dog(gggg), Sorgi and Painter weren't that bad...but they just never got the chance to show off their wares with the first team. Of course, The Dog(gggg) conveniently leaves out that in most of their outings, they failed to execute against second and third string defenses.        Yes...we see...LOL!!!!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    Funny but you've apparently become just like Rusty - not really reading (or reading only what you wish to), and always writing to get a rise. 

Congrats to you TP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]I'd be shocked if Manning isn't in game one, but I think the question is will he look the same as he did the start of 2008 missing time on the practice field. Next question is how fast can he get back to being the 2nd best QB in the game. Curious Colts fans if Manning got knocked out game 1 and missed the entire season how many wins would you give your team for the year?
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

Not many. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I'd be shocked if Manning isn't in game one, but I think the question is will he look the same as he did the start of 2008 missing time on the practice field. Next question is how fast can he get back to being the 2nd best QB in the game. Curious Colts fans if Manning got knocked out game 1 and missed the entire season how many wins would you give your team for the year?
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

Maybe, as Bob Kravitz somewhat frivilously pointed out in his article, the Colts' plan is to ride or die on the health of Peyton Manning. If he's reasonably healthy, the Colts are easily a 10 win team...and will win the AFC South again (seriously, I hope nobody is buying into the Houston Texans again). But, if Peyton can't make it to the post for half the season or more, they're done...and they know it. Why not left Painter paint them into a corner, and "earn" a top 10 draft pick in 2012?   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting statement.  So you think they are so poor in the preseason predominantly because of their back up QB?  Really nothing else? As for hypothesizing, Painter really could be that bad, but as Kravitz notes and the locals know, his opportunities have come with essentially only back ups in the game (2nd half vs. Jets 09, Snowstorm at Buffalo 09).  I am not defending Painter as capable, but I am suggeting that no one really knows at this time.  The same could have been said of Sorgi.  We shall see.  Orlovsky didn't look any better, nor did Nate Davis, although he did show some escapability.  The colts look like they may have real issues with their Oline.  Hughes, looks like a bust (which is a concern) as a first rounder and some are gnashing their teeth at taking Hughes over former IU Hoosier and current Ram, Roger Saffold.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Doesn't this mean that he could only be EVEN WORSE against opposing STARTERS?  Yes, the Jets are a tough defense to face, but Buffalo?  I feel like any competent NFL starter should be able to perform decently against Buffalo under any circumstances... especially Buffalo's BACKUPS

I don't think this will even be an issue.  I think Manning has his sights on Favre's consecutive games record and I don't think he's willing to give that one up.  Furthermore, league rules (which the Colts also quietly supported along with Kraft) protect quarterbacks much more nowadays and Manning is too smart and alert to take too many unecessary hits, especially at full force (you see people drag him down, but you don't see him get rocked or blindsided that often).

I think there could come a game or two where Manning stays down and possibly leaves, but I think he's starting every game this year.

Just a hunch.  Plus, beating the Colts with Painter would be a cheapened victory.  Win or lose, I want Manning.  The best must beat the best competition.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

The Clots HAVE a backup plan.  It's called failure.  The scenario is - Manning goes down.  Painter goes in.  They lose all the rest of the games.  Then they draft high.  They fan base will swallow it, and they have spent nothing much.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The Clots HAVE a backup plan.  It's called failure.  The scenario is - Manning goes down.  Painter goes in.  They lose all the rest of the games.  Then they draft high.  They fan base will swallow it, and they have spent nothing much.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

According to The Dog(gggg), Painter hasn't had a fair chance to show what he can do...LOL!!!

Just more proof that this Indy troll lives in his own little fantasy world, and why he cannot be taken seriously here, by anyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Like The Dog(gggg), Indy coach Jim Caldwell is also in denial over the horrid play of his back-up QBs:

"While four-time NFL MVP Peyton Manning watched on the sideline in blue jeans, Colts quarterbacks Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky combined to throw three interceptions which led to 13 St. Louis points. Painter was picked off on the third play and the home team turned it into a quick touchdown.

When pressed by a reporter about the quarterback play not being encouraging, Caldwell said, "We're not going to make any real hard and fast assessments on what we've seen and looked at. They've practiced extremely well, are coming along and doing a nice job." "http://www.indystar.com/article/20110815/SPORTS03/108150331/Colts-Caldwell-won-t-rush-judgment

LOL!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's no secret that there is a dearth of quality -- or even marginal -- quarterbacks in the league (or in the pipeline) and that a fair number of teams can't even field a legitimate starter, let alone a quality backup. Old friend Pet Carroll brought in the once and future Tarvaris Jackson -- Master of the Jump Pass -- and handed him four million dollars after four years of miserable failure in Minnesota.

And speaking of Minnesota . . .   did I hear that San Franchisco is bringing Duante Culpepper in for a look? Does anybody know what Daryl Lamonica is up to these days?

I'll admit I have no idea (and don't care) what the Colts' plans are for life after Peyton. I agree with the guy who thinks he's eyeballing Favre's consecutive game streak and, frankly, I hope he gets it. The sooner we're rid of Brett Favre the better I'll like it. It's true enough that Manning doesn't take a lot of shots. I remember the brouhaha around here last season when Peyton went into a slide inside the 10 yard line, eschewing what looked like a sure touchdwon, rather than face the potential ignominy (and injury) of being chased down from behind by some lumbering behemoth.

The Colts stinking in the preseason is not news, but the sand is slipping through the hourglass on the Manning, P. era, and I find it curious that Indy appears in no hurry to admit or address what that means.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]Every time I count the Colts out...they put together a very good season and are a threat to go all the way. Until people see this offensive line and Manning after 4 or 5 games...you just can't count them out. As much as I hated Manning over the years, he's right there with Brady. I've seen Manning make some throws that are just unbelieveable and I've always thought Freeney was one of the best pass rushers in the nfl. We do look like a much better team on paper...which is funny considering we needed a Sander's interception to put them away last year.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

This^^^^.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Doesn't this mean that he could only be EVEN WORSE against opposing STARTERS?  Yes, the Jets are a tough defense to face, but Buffalo?  I feel like any competent NFL starter should be able to perform decently against Buffalo under any circumstances... especially Buffalo's BACKUPS I don't think this will even be an issue.  I think Manning has his sights on Favre's consecutive games record and I don't think he's willing to give that one up.  Furthermore, league rules (which the Colts also quietly supported along with Kraft) protect quarterbacks much more nowadays and Manning is too smart and alert to take too many unecessary hits, especially at full force (you see people drag him down, but you don't see him get rocked or blindsided that often). I think there could come a game or two where Manning stays down and possibly leaves, but I think he's starting every game this year. Just a hunch.  Plus, beating the Colts with Painter would be a cheapened victory.  Win or lose, I want Manning.  The best must beat the best competition.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]
    No.  The colts played their second string while the opposition played their first string.  Jets needed a win for a shot at the playoffs.  Buffalo was out of the playoffs but in no position to "rest" players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

So now The Dog(gggg) is defending the disaster that is Curtis Painter. What a blind homer...LOL!!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]     So now The Dog(gggg) is defending the disaster that is Curtis Painter. What a blind homer...LOL!!! 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

You said you had me on ignore.  You liar.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The Colts lose preseason games because they don't give a cr@p about winning them.  They love to give people like Freeney, Wayne, and Clark the day off and see what their back-ups can do against other teams' starters.  That being said, Painter is not that good of a back-up QB.  Not nearly the player that Sorgi was.  But I ask you this: do you really think there's a chance that Manning won't be there come game 1? 

Manning and his all pro O line letting Mario Williams spike Manning to the turf in the opener. He may start but if that chicken neck isnt ready he might not finish.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The Colts lose preseason games because they don't give a cr@p about winning them.  They love to give people like Freeney, Wayne, and Clark the day off and see what their back-ups can do against other teams' starters.  That being said, Painter is not that good of a back-up QB.  Not nearly the player that Sorgi was.  But I ask you this: do you really think there's a chance that Manning won't be there come game 1?   Manning and his all pro O line letting Mario Williams spike Manning to the turf in the opener. He may start but if that chicken neck isnt ready he might not finish.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

The way to get to Manning is up the middle...rather than from the side. I'm really hoping that Haynesworth works out...and blasts through the middle of the Indy OL after ol' Horseface!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : No.  The colts played their second string while the opposition played their first string.  Jets needed a win for a shot at the playoffs.  Buffalo was out of the playoffs but in no position to "rest" players.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Like I said, Jets defense: understandable

But if you can't compete with the Bills, you just can't compete with anybody.

Manning will play and he'll avoid big hits because he's wicked smaht and knows everyone who's on the field at any given time, but should Curtis Painter see the field you guys are cooked.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

[QUOTE]That's the problem they never had a backup plan if pouting went down, they never really develop a QB to come in like Bradt did or cassell did. They always have no-name backups that suck. dolts are 8-8 this season, houston wins the division at 9-7
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Houston has a 1st class O, & w/Philips revamping the D 3-4 style they are better than 9-7, try 11-5 in that weak division...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Houston has a 1st class O, & w/Philips revamping the D 3-4 style they are better than 9-7, try 11-5 in that weak division...
    Posted by Red-Doc-Redemption[/QUOTE]

Houston needs to show me. They have a history of choking in regular season games, similar to that of the Colts in playoff games. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting statement.  So you think they are so poor in the preseason predominantly because of their back up QB?  Really nothing else? As for hypothesizing, Painter really could be that bad, but as Kravitz notes and the locals know, his opportunities have come with essentially only back ups in the game (2nd half vs. Jets 09, Snowstorm at Buffalo 09).  I am not defending Painter as capable, but I am suggeting that no one really knows at this time.  The same could have been said of Sorgi.  We shall see.  Orlovsky didn't look any better, nor did Nate Davis, although he did show some escapability.  The colts look like they may have real issues with their Oline.  Hughes, looks like a bust (which is a concern) as a first rounder and some are gnashing their teeth at taking Hughes over former IU Hoosier and current Ram, Roger Saffold.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

gomers done... its the classic story of a point in a qb's career where he is one hit away from being disabled... still has some ability but will never be the interception throwing loser he once was.... he can now truley join trent dilfer as a classic one and done in the broadcast booth...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : gomers done... its the classic story of a point in a qb's career where he is one hit away from being disabled... still has some ability but will never be the interception throwing loser he once was.... he can now truley join trent dilfer as a classic one and done in the broadcast booth...
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]
    Nice stealing mccheaters avatar. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Lets see if I can help with this:

1.  Sanders played in (not completed) 9 games over the last 3 years.  that's fewer than 20% of the games.  Can't speculate anymore as to whether or not he will play.  Further Melvin Bullitt has done an admirable job at the position for the past few years, although he did get injured last year. 
    2.  Jackson - played 7 games in 08 then out for the season.  Played 4 games in 09 then out for the season.  The colts let him go before last year.  He was signed by the eagles but got injured before the season started.  He has become injured again already this season.  Not a loss. 
    3.  Francisco - was the colts 4th string strong safety last year who started 12 games.  Shows you how injured they were and how little you really know about the team.  Sanders went down, Bullitt went down, Silva went down, Francisco went in.  I don't even know if Francisco has been signed by a team. 
    4.  Hayden - has not played a full season since 2007 and his effectiveness has waned considerably which is evidenced by the fact that no team has picked him up yet.  He was also due a substantial amount of money this year that the colts were unwilling to pay given his injury history. 
    5.  I agree that Session is a loss, but you cannot pay everyone and while Session is good, Jax overpaid him significantly (5 yr/30 mill with 11.5 guar).  Session missed 11 games last season (more injuries) and the colts got to see what Kavell Conner could do and were impressed.  Further the colts picked up Earnie Sims who many think will fit very very well in the colts system. 

I am not going to say the colts are flush.  I've never been that confident.  I go back to the things that I've been concerned about over the past couple of years - the oline and the interior of the dline.  One other thing - if Collie and Gonzalez have issues this year, then the colts will be very thin at receiver.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts