Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

Bwahahaha!  This thread is UD6 worst nightmare!  Welcome to reality UD6, the Colts are in trouble.... Big trouble.  Time to accept the truth here, it will set you free!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

The worst thing for the Colts is if Peyton goes down
    all of his guranteed contract goes against the cap?

I just think it is over for him and the Colts
    Especially since they have no other QB
    and Peyton is the Defacto OC

And there are just so many neck surgeries one can have
    and then,  one good hit bye bye

I respect Peyton but I just don't see him making it a lot longer

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan:
    [QUOTE]Doesn't matter. They knew your system and now you turn to a slew of unknowns.  That's the point. You have no idea what you have.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    Again, you really really shouldn't comment on the colts as if you know them.  

1.  Bullitt (for Sanders) has been the primary starter at SS for the last 2 years.  Nobody knows the system better than Bullitt (and that includes sanders who missed time during the transistion to new DC, Coyer. 
    2.  Powers (for Jackson) has been the primary starter at RCB for the last 2 years.  Nobody knows the position better.  
    3.  Francisco was a special teamer until being required to play SS which he did very poorly. 
    4.  Lacey (for Hayden) has been the primary starter at LCB for the last 2 years.  He knows the system.  

And we'll see how the depth is with the changes.  

Justin Tryon is the nickel corner and pretty good. 

Kevin Thomas was a 3rd rd draft pick last year who was injured in the preseason last year.  Don't know what to expect. 

Chris Rucker is a 6th rdr from Michigan State.  Also picked up Joe Lefeged as a UDFA which everyone was pretty high on.  We'll see how things go, but the colts are solid with their starting line up.  Depth will be the question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Colts' fans, other than The Dog(gggg), are concerned about the possibility of Mr. Wonderful missing the entire pre-season. The last time that that happened, the Colts struggled out of the gate to a 3-4 record...before rallying to score a wildcard birth.

There's also concern, The Dog(gggg) notwithstanding, over the Indy back-up QB situation: http://blogs.indystar.com/coltsinsider/2011/08/15/any-update-on-peyton-manning-why-the-colts-dont-look-for-an-upgrade-over-curtis-painter-and-more/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]I'd be shocked if Manning isn't in game one, but I think the question is will he look the same as he did the start of 2008 missing time on the practice field. Next question is how fast can he get back to being the 2nd best QB in the game. Curious Colts fans if Manning got knocked out game 1 and missed the entire season how many wins would you give your team for the year?
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]Mannings out 3 wins Mannings in 11.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Wait 11 wins this season for the Colts if Manning plays?  I better check their schedule, they must be playing the Bengals 11 times this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The worst thing for the Colts is if Peyton goes down all of his guranteed contract goes against the cap? I just think it is over for him and the Colts Especially since they have no other QB and Peyton is the Defacto OC And there are just so many neck surgeries one can have and then,  one good hit bye bye I respect Peyton but I just don't see him making it a lot longer
    Posted by seawolfxs[/QUOTE]

The Colts took a huge gamble on a 35 year old, pencil-necked QB...playing behind a revamped OL. But, Indy plays in a weak division. Houston appears to be their lone competition. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

We see chicken boy week 13. By my estimation, he should have taken about 75 sacks and been hit another 213 times by then. His neck will be about 1 pubic hair away from letting his head fold over and collapsing on his arss.
    That is also about the time Al, Vince and company welcome him to Gilette stadium.
    ....A sunday night, 1st week of december, and chicken boy will be without his comfy dome and piped in crowd noise. No worries chicken boy, Al and Vince will keep you warm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]We see chicken boy week 13. By my estimation, he should have taken about 75 sacks and been hit another 213 times by then. His neck will be about 1 pubic hair away from letting his head fold over and collapsing on his arss. That is also about the time Al, Vince and company welcome him to Gilette stadium. ....A sunday night, 1st week of december, and chicken boy will be without his comfy dome and piped in crowd noise. No worries chicken boy, Al and Vince will keep you warm.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Here's an article on Mr. Wonderful's revamped OL. Interesting what Colt fans think about former second round draft choice, Mike Pollak. The Patriots aren't the only ones who make drafting mistakes:
    http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/8/17/2368417/2011-colts-training-camp-a-new-offensive-line

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Polian's entire colts career, he had not placed value on the interior of the oline until he drafted Ugoh in the second, giving away a future first.  Bust. 

The following year with the teams 1st pick (2nd rd) he picked Pollak, who many believed would replace Saturday but would be flexible enough to play Guard.  Not only has Saturday lasted, but Pollak has been awful.  

I don't know what it is about these picks, but I won't crown Costanzo or Ijalana until they prove they are worthy of their draft status.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Polian's entire colts career, he had not placed value on the interior of the oline until he drafted Ugoh in the second, giving away a future first.  Bust.  The following year with the teams 1st pick (2nd rd) he picked Pollak, who many believed would replace Saturday but would be flexible enough to play Guard.  Not only has Saturday lasted, but Pollak has been awful.   I don't know what it is about these picks, but I won't crown Costanzo or Ijalana until they prove they are worthy of their draft status.    
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    I think there's sort of a ebb and flow to the draft, and basically the Colts haven't exactly been nailing it the last few years.  Every team has bad drafts, some more than others but I think you would have to agree the Colts are going to get more out of these 1 and 2 year players this year if they want to continue to be competitive into the future.  If they don't start seeing something from Hughes, Pollak, Costanzo etc. then they will probably not be a serious contendor. 

They could try to cover those misses by using free agency but for some reason they never go that route.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I think that's a valid statement shen. 

that said, while I have some issues with the colts draft success in a couple of areas, if you look at their entire draft years as a whole, I'd say

06 - decent - Addai, Bethea, C Johnson (gone)
    07 - not great - Gonzalez, Ugoh (gone), Session (gone)
    08 - not great - Pollak, Wheeler, Tamme, Garcon, Richard
    09 - Not bad already - Brown, Moala, Powers, Collie, McAfee, Thomas
    10 - too early - Hughes, Angerer, Thomas, McClendon, Eldridge, Conner 

I guess a good question would be how many picks does a given team expect to "hit on"?   And what does it actually mean to make a good pick?   

I guess 1st rounders/2nd rounders are expected to start.  Beyond that, what are considered expectations for success?

And if you fail on your first round pick but hit on your 5th round pick who becomes a starter, do they cancel each other out?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Lets not kid ourselves here, Manning will play week 1, bad neck and all. Yes, their back-up is terrible and they won't be winning any games with Painter as the starter but I just dont see Peyton missing week 1. If I was the Colts though, I'd be worrying about that Oline, an injured Peyton getting blindsided by Mario Williams week one doesn't sound ideal... Not wishing injury on anyone but Peyton is fragile now and getting macked by a train like Mario won't help his health.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

Did you get a chance to see Mario Williams play as a 3-4 OLB against the Jets? He looked to me like he was a fish out of water. But, reports coming out of Texan training camp are that he's handled the transition extremely well:  http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d82170eac/printable/williams-quickly-eliminating-doubts-about-switch-to-linebacker 

Still, based on what I saw against the Jets last Monday, I have my doubts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't know UD.  I think a good draft depends on a lot of things.  Sure first rounders should be starters and 2nd rounders probaby should too.  But beyond that there needs to be something more than an average starter.  Every 3 or 4 years a team should find a star, perrennial Pro bowler type.  The Pats in the early part of this decade hit on Seymour, Light, Wilfork, and Mankins.  Then they went a few years with just some OK guys mostly.  Merriweather has been a starter, Maroney was too.  Other guys have contriuted but they really didn't hit a star until Mayo in 08, Vollmer in 09 probably then McCourty and Gronk at least in 10. 

Some of it depends on what's open.  I think it's unlikely anyone was going to take the starting DE jobs from Freeney and Mathis the last few years but there are plenty of openings in the Oline.  The fact that nobody has outplayed 36 year old Saturday by now speaks to problems finding quality lineman.  At this point even a late round pick should probably have been able to win that job unless they were truly pathetic.  Addai is OK, but really you know just because he starts does not really make him a success, it just doesn't make him a failure. 

Anyway you get my point just because the Drafts haven't been failures does not make them successes, at least not to the level they had been in the past and need to be to keep this run going.

Of course some of me wonders (and I'm sure some Indy Fans also)  If Caldwell has what it takes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Shen - I think you make a good point. 

Probably the only perennial probowler for the colts over the last 5 years is Bethea.  I don't know if Collie or Powers gets there, but I think the colts believe they have very solid players there, but at this time that's about it. 

I think on the "too early to know anything" front, they have hopes for Costanzo, Ijalana, and Nevis.  If those 3 pan out, that would be huge. 

As for Caldwell (shaking my head) - he did lose the game for us against the jets last year.  He actually tried to explain that today to ESPN AFC South Blogger Kuharsky - and said nothing.  I don't care for the guy.  At the same time, Manning runs half the team, and you don't want to screw that up.  I think if we upgraded our personnel with the draft this year, we will be fine, but as both of our teams have seen from past drafts, that's a big if. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Redhead - You challenging me or any other team's fan about admitting anything negative about their team is laughable.  There is no greater ballwasher for the pats and Belichick than you. 

If you just read my posts other than those that are in retaliation to yours or others' efforts to bash the colts, you might actually learn something about what I think.  I know that's a stretch for you.  Comprehension isn't your strong suit.  But I assure you that I have some strong feelings that are completely positive about the colts. 

I am sure that like you (and others here), given the success of our teams over the last decade, the positives are greater than the negatives, but they are there.

My recommendation for you is to take a reading comprehension course.  Having success with that will open your eyes to an entirely new world of ideas.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Lets not kid ourselves here, Manning will play week 1, bad neck and all. Yes, their back-up is terrible and they won't be winning any games with Painter as the starter but I just dont see Peyton missing week 1. If I was the Colts though, I'd be worrying about that Oline, an injured Peyton getting blindsided by Mario Williams week one doesn't sound ideal... Not wishing injury on anyone but Peyton is fragile now and getting macked by a train like Mario won't help his health.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who thought Mario Williams looked lost at OLB against the Jets: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/17/defending-mario-williams-outside-linebacker/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Apparently, UD6, a/k/a The Dog(gggg), has written an article in defense of Indy back-up QB, Curtis Painter: http://www.indystar.com/article/20110819/SPORTS03/108190331/Notebook-Colts-like-Painter-s-leadership-resiliency

Unbelievable!!! LOL!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

There are more concerns in Indy that finding a competent back-up QB: http://www.indystar.com/article/20110819/SPORTS03/108190333/Five-issues-dogging-Colts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Yet another splendid performance by the Indy back-up QBs, as they "lead" the Colts to a 16-3 loss at The Luke, to the powerful Washington Redskins. Here are the stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310819011

LOL!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Can anybody reconcile the following two articles, which appeared in the IndyStar on August 19th and 20th, respectively? The first defends Curtis Painter and the Indy back-up QB situation...while the second heavily criticises Painter and Colts' management for the back-up situation. 

Here they are:

1.) Defending Painter: http://www.indystar.com/article/20110819/SPORTS03/108190331/Notebook-Colts-like-Painter-s-leadership-resiliency

2.) Ripping the back-up situation: http://www.indystar.com/article/20110820/SPORTS03/108200330/Backup-plan-QB-lacking

LOL!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Fans in Indy must be nervous, their boys have looked bad two games in a row.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]     Can anybody reconcile the following two articles, which appeared in the IndyStar on August 19th and 20th, respectively? The first defends Curtis Painter and the Indy back-up QB situation...while the second heavily criticises Painter and Colts' management for the back-up situation.       Here they are: 1.) Defending Painter: http://www.indystar.com/article/20110819/SPORTS03/108190331/Notebook-Colts-like-Painter-s-leadership-resiliency 2.) Ripping the back-up situation: http://www.indystar.com/article/20110820/SPORTS03/108200330/Backup-plan-QB-lacking      LOL!!!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I can reconcile them for you.  They are written by two different people with two different opinions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Mananing should have took $80 mil, and told Polian to take the other $10 mil and find a decent backup.