Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

More
    http://www.indystar.com/article/20110820/SPORTS03/108200331/1058/SPORTS03

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The latest:

Irsay: Colts preparing to play without Peyton

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/20/irsay-colts-preparing-to-play-without-peyton/

Carson Plamer?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan:
    [QUOTE]     Can anybody reconcile the following two articles, which appeared in the IndyStar on August 19th and 20th, respectively? The first defends Curtis Painter and the Indy back-up QB situation...while the second heavily criticises Painter and Colts' management for the back-up situation.       Here they are: 1.) Defending Painter: http://www.indystar.com/article/20110819/SPORTS03/108190331/Notebook-Colts-like-Painter-s-leadership-resiliency 2.) Ripping the back-up situation: http://www.indystar.com/article/20110820/SPORTS03/108200330/Backup-plan-QB-lacking      LOL!!!
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to read those articles, but this post is a nice springboard to my story about studying journalism at the Defense Information School at Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN., and being instructed to stay current and informed by -- among other things -- reading the local paper, which happened to be the Indianapolis Star Tribune.

This is kind of like training someone to study Proust by introducing him to Sam I Am.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : I'm not going to read those articles, but this post is a nice springboard to my story about studying journalism at the Defense Information School at Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN., and being instructed to stay current and informed by -- among other things -- reading the local paper, which happened to be the Indianapolis Star Tribune. This is kind of like training someone to study Proust by introducing him to Sam I Am.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Are you comparing being asked to read in the past, The Indy Star with analyzing information from that Defense Information School you went to, Or Are you comparing the current wealth of knowledge garnered from The Indy Star presently, in relation to that which is offered on BDC, right here & now?

Because IF it's the latter, well prairie- I'd like to think that I at least, even momentarily, crossed your mind in your referencing neurotic, obsessive compulsive, social-outcasts, whose tautology is neither defined nor suffocated by legible sentence structure, depth of trivial subject length, reader consideration, or even them understanding my basic intent, idea, and the times when I have any, an overall meaning.  

In fact, sometimes I think Proust and I, are sorta kindred spirits (except for the homley as he!! appearence, insanely flamboyant homosexuality-I only wanna act gay when I bellieve it could potentially make someone else's version of morality, completely uncomfortable <just...I don't wanna have to prove it, ev-er />...oh, and except for the fact that I think Proust spent like 20 years boarded up in his bedroom, high on asthma inhalers, and didn't he line all his walls with cork, to keep sound out?>-  Indeed, except for these very minor differences, I sorta relate to Proust...  In fact, often at times, the only message, meaning, insight, or anything whatsoever, I want someone to take away from my OWN writing, is what I've concluded is the excat same thing that proust musta wanted his readers to be left with:  A self-wrought personal diatribe for reading yet 1 more post, or page of my "stuff".  Yell        

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Just what the hell is going on in Indy? Owner Jim Irsay has tweeted that the Colts are preparing to start the season without Peyton...and is asking Colts fans for their opinion as to who he should bring in at QB!!!

Do you believe it??!!

What say you, Dog(gggg)??: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/20/irsay-colts-preparing-to-play-without-peyton/

LOL!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE] Laz I have just come up with a sauce that limits self abuse,I have been testing it on my pet chicken but need more volunteers.The neighbours have had enough but what do they know.The tricky thing is the application process which the chicken cant seem to grasp even though I speak good english and draw diagrams in both english and french. Now Every time I now see my chicken I want to chock some sense into it defeating the purpose of the sauce.
    Posted by Mybologna[/QUOTE]

Ah, beautiful...very nicely done.  Hey, tried to creep on home, to snag the all-impt cost-cutting essentials at mom and Pops house: Laundry detergent, Paper Towels, Toilet Paper, Dishwasher tabs, etc (my way of cutting bills=placing the cost on others).  It was early, so I'm thinkin' he's not up shh-stay on the DL...but now I see my car back from the shop 9went to his hometown guys) & in parent's driveway...Dad walks out the door.  So we chat, and I'm feelin' out for a great time to slip in my cigar burn info on his interior roof-head.  I man up, say I f'd up, say I'll pay.  

And dad sorta does a few shallow breathes (hyperventilating), and starts to cry (Mmm, no- not about his son manning up or some sorta parenting breakthrough or whatnot...juuuust about the cigar burn).  

Yea...and ya wonder why I just f%cking take the pass when dealin' with people being emotional, for whatever the reason (justified or...a quarter sized cigar mark).  Good god in heaven...  Any one see an actual "man" around here, Ma...?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : I'm not going to read those articles, but this post is a nice springboard to my story about studying journalism at the Defense Information School at Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN., and being instructed to stay current and informed by -- among other things -- reading the local paper, which happened to be the Indianapolis Star Tribune. This is kind of like training someone to study Proust by introducing him to Sam I Am.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Ok Pmike, how old are you? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Let's face it, if they don't have enough resources (i.e. cap, talent, etc) to make a few more runs whilst Manning is still at the helm, then they mismanaged their team, simply put.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

When asked about Peyton Manning's neck, and whether he'd be ready to go when the regular season began, Bill Polian stated the following:

“Bottom line, we truly do not know when he will be ready,” Colts president Bill Polian told ESPN Saturday. “Once the nerves regenerate properly, he’ll be ready. When that happens, he’ll be ready to ramp up immediately. It’s impossible to predict.”:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/20/polian-on-mannings-return-its-impossible-to-predict/

Wow!! If true, the Colts are in deep, deep trouble in 2011.

If Manning isn't ready to go, and the Colts lose, say, their first 3-4 games, might they be better off putting Peyton on IR, and suffering through a season with the inept Curtis Painter at the helm? Should the Colts finish with the leagues' worst record, they'll have the rights to Andrew Luck in the 2012 draft. Then...they could rebuild around Luck, and ship Peyton off for a kings' ransom worth of draft choices. 

What say you, Horseshoe lovers?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

[QUOTE]     When asked about Peyton Manning's neck, and whether he'd be ready to go when the regular season began, Bill Polian stated the following:      “Bottom line, we truly do not know when he will be ready,” Colts president Bill Polian told ESPN Saturday. “Once the nerves regenerate properly, he’ll be ready. When that happens, he’ll be ready to ramp up immediately. It’s impossible to predict.”: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/20/polian-on-mannings-return-its-impossible-to-predict/      Wow!! If true, the Colts are in deep, deep trouble in 2011.      If Manning isn't ready to go, and the Colts lose, say, their first 3-4 games, might they be better off putting Peyton on IR, and suffering through a season with the inept Curtis Painter at the helm? Should the Colts finish with the leagues' worst record, they'll have the rights to Andrew Luck in the 2012 draft. Then...they could rebuild around Luck, and ship Peyton off for a kings' ransom worth of draft choices.       What say you, Horseshoe lovers?  

IMO if manning was to sit out this year and recover,he would have to come back and hell of a few seasons for someone to want to pick him up and at his age new team /system rarely works out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

"In losses to the Washington Redskins and St. Louis Rams, (Indy back-up QBs) Painter and Orlovsky have combined for a 34.4 passer rating: 19-of-43, 273 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions. They've generated one touchdown and two field goals.": http://www.indystar.com/article/20110821/SPORTS03/108210369/Irsay-considers-Colts-opener-without-Manning

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

To bastardize a quote from one of my favorite movies, "I don't want to hear the Colts dead, I want to see the Colts dead.  Once the regular season starts, if they get it handed to them fine.  Until such time, in looking at that division, I believe it could be won by a 9-win team.  And I think the Colts can get to 9 even if Peyton misses the first couple of games.  I may be in the minority, but when we play them, I want Peyton in there - don't want to hear any excuses from Underdoggg if we beat their backup QB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]To bastardize a quote from one of my favorite movies, "I don't want to hear the Colts dead, I want to see the Colts dead.  Once the regular season starts, if they get it handed to them fine.  Until such time, in looking at that division, I believe it could be won by a 9-win team.  And I think the Colts can get to 9 even if Peyton misses the first couple of games.  I may be in the minority, but when we play them, I want Peyton in there - don't want to hear any excuses from Underdoggg if we beat their backup QB.
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]

The point of this thread is not to claim that the Colts are dead. It is discuss the weakness of their back-up QB position...and the shortsightedness of the Colts' front office in not preparing for the day when Peyton would not be able to play. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Ah, a reminisence of things past . . . with all the brevity of Suess. 

And in English too . . .

I wouldn't knock that training, Mike.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan :      The point of this thread is not to claim that the Colts are dead. It is discuss the weakness of their back-up QB position...and the shortsightedness of the Colts' front office in not preparing for the day when Peyton would not be able to play. 

TP:  I undestand the point of this thread and agree with everything you've said.  My point (perhaps I made it badly) was that despite their weaknesses and front office's inability to rectify a potentially bad situation, they're still probably playoff locks.  By season's end, PM will be PM (unless he gets hurt during the season) and they'll still be a team to be reckoned with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : TP:  I undestand the point of this thread and agree with everything you've said.  My point (perhaps I made it badly) was that despite their weaknesses and front office's inability to rectify a potentially bad situation, they're still probably playoff locks.  By season's end, PM will be PM (unless he gets hurt during the season) and they'll still be a team to be reckoned with.
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you're right. But, if Peyton can't go, the Colts will be one of the five worst teams in the NFL. If he misses a couple of games, and is rusty over the next 5, it's doubtful that the Colts will make the play-offs.

I'm not a huge Houston Texan supporter, but they have a very good offense, and what looks to be an improved defense. The hiring of DC Wade Phillips, and the additions of DE JJ Watt, CB Johnathan Joseph, and OLB Brooks Reed appear to make their defense more aggressive, and more formidable. 

Though experience has taught me not to put too much faith in the Chicago Cubs of the NFL, this could finally be their year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan :      Perhaps you're right. But, if Peyton can't go, the Colts will be one of the five worst teams in the NFL. If he misses a couple of games, and is rusty over the next 5, it's doubtful that the Colts will make the play-offs.      I'm not a huge Houston Texan supporter, but they have a very good offense, and what looks to be an improved defense. The hiring of DC Wade Phillips, and the additions of DE JJ Watt, CB Johnathan Joseph, and OLB Brooks Reed appear to make their defense more aggressive, and more formidable.       Though experience has taught me not to put too much faith in the Chicago Cubs of the NFL, this could finally be their year. 

Wow - I just don't see how anyone can claim Manning isn't the best QB in the game if Pats fans agree with this comment. If a single individual can make a team a superbowl contender that would otherwise be one of the "5 worst teams in the NFL", I don't know how anyone could suggest there is a better player in the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Wow - I just don't see how anyone can claim Manning isn't the best QB in the game if Pats fans agree with this comment. If a single individual can make a team a superbowl contender that would otherwise be one of the "5 worst teams in the NFL", I don't know how anyone could suggest there is a better player in the game.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    It's true PM is probably the most important player to his team, but this is because of the crap that backs him up (i.e. either PM plays QB or essentially no one plays QB).  Doesn't mean he is the best QB in the game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The good news for Colts fan is that, as of this writing, the immortal Jim Sorgi is not on an NFL roster.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

This is my "If You Don't Believe Me" post. Here are ten (10) choice comments from Colts' fans on the teams' horrid back-up QB situation:

1.) It is completely inexcusable to not have a backup QB who could "manage" the team in Peyton's absence. Painter is an absolute joke!!! If Peyton isn't ready for the start of the year I say let Painter have the entire season. Between Painter not-being-an-NFL-QB and Caldwell not-being-an-NFL-coach the Colts will not win a game. Hello Andrew Luck and the next Colts franchise player!!! Not to mention another basic first rounder with the top pick in the second round;

2.) Peyton will be ready and all this static is just a waste of time. it gives other teams something to daydream of. This is a ruse. Peyton wants Favre's record of most consecutive starts and unless he is in traction or missing a limb he will be out there even at 60%. 

3.) If they "determine Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky aren't the answer"? We know that already. I think they do to. So why keep either one? Stupid is as Stupid does. I am Big Colts fan, but this could get me to change my mind. I have backed this team since they moved to Indy. Even though I have moved away and still see the Colts as my team. But now I am starting to REALLY question what they are doing. Jim Irsay make the right decision;

4.) Ahh yes, I can see our dollars floating away for the 90 MILLION dollar man. SOS. What a joke;

5.) Without Peyton we're 2-14 best. How can Irsay put the Colts destiny in the hands of Chrissy Polian and the "I've got no gray matter" Caldwell??? Everyone except those at 56th street see the impending disaster;

6.) Given their history, the Colts "braintrust" will go after the cheapest ($) possible guy to fill their immediate needs. Then when Manning does come back they will revert back to the 3-4 years out plan for his replacement and we will have to accept every year from now on as a potential crisis.
         BTW, I sincerely hate to say this, but having had one surgery for bulging neck disk myself the choice of a second surgery may not have been the best. As my own surgeon explained, more cutting just leads to more scare tissue which leads eventually to more pain. My choice not to have a second surgery was not a good one but the alternative seemed much worse;

7.) I think they should stick with Painter... who cares?? This team stinks anyways without Manning. Let the whole world see how bad a job this organization has done in surrounding Manning with a team that is led by a coach who is more fit to be a tour guide at the Indianapolis zoo.
        Don't get me wrong, there are some more talented players on this roster, but Caldwell lulls them to sleep with his "motivational talks" with his awe inspiring speaches like when he says things like "we need to play better", and "we missed too many tackles"...
         Not to mention the most conservative defensive play calling I have ever seen in my life. I've watched a few preseason games this year and I've seen a number of teams bring pressure on key 3rd downs and force the QB into uncomfortable situations. Larry Coyer relies on that 1 in 10 chance that his front four will get there on their own.... It RARELY works!
         Manning might not play much this year because of his injury, but it would be the best thing to happen to his legacy when everyone is exposed to how many holes he's been covering up with this team!

8.) If there is any chance that Peyton won't be ready for the season opener, it would be incredulous to me that the Colts would stand pat on the current QBs available. I would rather have someone come in that has starting experience but doesn't know the playbook rather than have Painter under center that knows the playbook but can't execute it. One first down in the first half of Friday's game is enough to know that;

9.) "Manning is one good hit from the end of his season. Irsay has a Responsibility to be prepared." I couldn't agree more. Something is obviously wrong with his neck. He may be one good hit from the end of his career;

10.) They're paying Painter and Orlovsky a total of $4M combined and yet they are looking into spending more money to bring in more help? WHY? What are Painter and Orlovsky doing to earn their salaries then? I'll hold the clipboard for a lot less. (Btw I absolutely think they need to get rid of Painter. He's just terrible.)

LOL!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

No matter what the Clots do this season, what we are seeing here is the beginning of the end.  With their current backups they aren't going to win whatever games Manning can't play in this year.  They just aren't that good.  Manning has neck problems, and if he tries to play too soon he will have MORE neck problems, and I'm guessing he will continue to have them anyway, at ever increasing severity.  His play will tail off, and the Clots will fade into their rightful place...  obscurity.  Good riddance to them AND to UD6 then.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : It's true PM is probably the most important player to his team, but this is because of the crap that backs him up (i.e. either PM plays QB or essentially no one plays QB).  Doesn't mean he is the best QB in the game.
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]
    Conventional wisdom says that the starting QB is the most important player on every team.  That said, there have been plenty of teams with marginal QB's that have been better than "one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL". 

If what Texas Pat says is true, then, imo, what he is saying is that Manning elevates his team unlike any other player in the league.  From bottom 5 to SB contender.  If that doesn't define him as the best, I am not sure what would.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dastardly. Show dastardly's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Wow - I just don't see how anyone can claim Manning isn't the best QB in the game if Pats fans agree with this comment. If a single individual can make a team a superbowl contender that would otherwise be one of the "5 worst teams in the NFL", I don't know how anyone could suggest there is a better player in the game.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Not really.  It just shows how (based on performance during exhibition games) inept Colts backup QBs are.  Had they shown the smallest semblance of talent, I'm sure we won't be discussing this topic.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Rumors have started that Jim Irsay may make a pitch to bring back Brett Favre...LOL!! But, even assuming Favre is interested, he's not going to come out of retirement for pocket change. How are the Colts going to afford him?

Besides, if he does come back...that means that Peyton is going to be out. Not good news for Horseshoe lovers.

Sections
Shortcuts