Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan

Forget all the speculation. Manning will play on opening day unless he's dead: http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/08/22/and-then-panic-spread-throughout-colts-land/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan:
    [QUOTE]     Forget all the speculation. Manning will play on opening day unless he's dead: http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/08/22/and-then-panic-spread-throughout-colts-land/
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Yup, God told Dungy, so it must be true, LOL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Yup, God told Dungy, so it must be true, LOL!
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

Yes...coming from "The Pious One", it must be true...LOL!!

If Manning doesn't start on opening day, his neck condition must be serious. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]     Forget all the speculation. Manning will play on opening day unless he's dead: http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/08/22/and-then-panic-spread-throughout-colts-land/
    you seem to be the one most interested in speculating, so are you talking to yourself?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : you seem to be the one most interested in speculating, so are you talking to yourself?
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Jim Sorgi available????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

You know the guy is going to play and play well. Lets not kid ourselves, just setting us up for a stab in the gut!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

This from the Indy blog "Stampede Blue", in the aftermath of the Colts's pathetic performance against the Washington Redskins at home...in a 16-3 loss:

"Much of the reason for the Colts putrid showing on offense was www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71481/curtis-painter" class="sbn-auto-link">Curtis Painter. He was 5-10 for 40 yards, but his throws were off, his pocket presence non-existent, and his playmaking skills tragically comedic. He drove the Colts to one first down in two quarters of play. It was a poor effort, and the player many feel is the worst quarterback in the NFL did himself no favors last night."

"Overall, I'm concerned with the team's depth. I know some people simply write it off as, 'It's just preseason,' but we've seen rookie QBs like Ryan Mallet in New England and Blaine Gabbert in Jacksonville come in and play pretty well. Those guys are rookies. Painter is a third year player, and he still looks as bad today as he did his rookie year. Again, from a talent and performance standpoint, there is no logical reason Curtis Painter should still be on this roster. Orlovsky has pretty clearly outplayed him, and has done so with inferior talent surrounding him."
    http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/8/20/2374186/recap-2011-nfl-preseason-final-redskins-16-colts-3

What say you, Dog(gggg)?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

[QUOTE]Redhead - You challenging me or any other team's fan about admitting anything negative about their team is laughable.  There is no greater ballwasher for the pats and Belichick than you.  If you just read my posts other than those that are in retaliation to yours or others' efforts to bash the colts, you might actually learn something about what I think.  I know that's a stretch for you.  Comprehension isn't your strong suit.  But I assure you that I have some strong feelings that are completely positive about the colts.  I am sure that like you (and others here), given the success of our teams over the last decade, the positives are greater than the negatives, but they are there. My recommendation for you is to take a reading comprehension course.  Having success with that will open your eyes to an entirely new world of ideas.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

This is very true.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : This is very true.
    Posted by startrightnow[/QUOTE]

UD6 is a hypocrite. He has the audacity to refer to Red as a homer...when he is the biggest Indy homer around. He should rread his own teams' blog, 'Stampede Blue". It is an excellent, and reasonably objective source on everything Indianapolis Colts.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Colts' management apparently is doubtful that Peyton Manning will be ready for the Indy's opening day opponent, the Houston Texans...as they have lured ancient Kerry Collins out of retirement: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/24/peyton-optimistic-but-colts-dont-think-hell-play-week-1/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Does anybody here think that 38 year old Kerry Collins is the answer to the Colts' back-up QB problem?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here are some posts from Colts' fans in reaction to the decision to sign 38 year old Kerry Collins out of retirement. It pretty much sums up the feelings of Colts' fans (other than UD6) about their back-up QB situation. My comments are included, in bold black:

1.) Waiting for Painter to develop into a decent quarterback was like watching paint dry. He is not nor will ever be the heir apparent to Manning. Cut ties and move on with someone who can help you win. This is a good move. In 2 years, the Colts will use their 1st round drafty on a QB they think can represent the future and will benefit as a 3 year under-study as Peyton's pupil.

Wait two more years before drafting the heir apparent?? Manning and his pencil neck may not last two more years! This season, the Colts could have acquired Vince Young through free agency, Brady Quinn through trade, Ryan Mallett through the draft...or...the $90 million dollar man could have been traded for a king's random in draft choices. The Colts must draft a QB next season.

2.) Collins only won some games in Tennessee because they had a strong running game. He could play-action fake then hit the short pass. He isn't going to do as well with the Colts crummy running game not scaring any defenses. Hopefully, his services won't be required.

True.

3.) My only concern about Collins arose after reading some articles about him on the internet. One was written when he announced his retirement and he stated that he didn't feel like going through all the preseason training anymore. That begs the question...What kind of shape will he be in?

Good question.

4.) Peyton Manning WILL BE ON THAT FIELD September 11th... Mark my words!

Could be...but this is likely wishful thinking.

5.) I wish we would've had Collins backing up Manning when we were going for the perfect season against the Jets. Getting a decent backup is LONG overdue.

Amen. 
    http://www.indystar.com/comments/article/20110824/SPORTS03/110824007/Irsay-Colts-sign-QB-Kerry-Collins-Manning-backup

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Colts paid through the nose to lure veteran QB Kerry Collins out of retirement...paying him $4mil. for his services this season. That's a ton of money to pay a back-up QB...and is another indication that Colts' management doesn't think Mr. Wonderful will be ready to go when the season starts: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/25/kerry-collins-will-make-4-million-this-year/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It's doubtful that Kerry Collins will help the Colts keep their necks above water, without Peyton: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Sports/2011/0824/Why-Kerry-Collins-won-t-help-the-Indianapolis-Colts

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]     It's doubtful that Kerry Collins will help the Colts keep their necks above water, without Peyton: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Sports/2011/0824/Why-Kerry-Collins-won-t-help-the-Indianapolis-Colts

Tex, 

What's the over/under on Kerry Collins starting how many games to guaranty
    that the Colts won't make the playoffs? 

I say if he starts the first 4, they won't make the playoffs. Then they'll have a built in excuse why HOU won the division & not horseface. 

BTW- like the 'necks above water' pun, I got it, LOL 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

jbolt, do you think this is shoddy's last year when you lose in round one again

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts Badly Need a Back-up Plan : Tex,  What's the over/under on Kerry Collins starting how many games to guaranty that the Colts won't make the playoffs?  I say if he starts the first 4, they won't make the playoffs. Then they'll have a built in excuse why HOU won the division & not horseface.  BTW- like the 'necks above water' pun, I got it, LOL 
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Funny that now Bob Sanders plays for the Bolts, I've seen where some Colts' fans are calling him the most overrated player of all-time. But, we of course know who the most overrated player of all-time really is...and now he's struggling with a neck injury.

Colts' fans should be haunted by the words of Ed Reed:

“I don’t want to be like these guys having neck surgery, then you got to go have another surgery just to continue to play this game,” Reed told ESPN’s Ed Werder. “I love this game but I love myself more.”

Asked specifically whether he’d do the same thing that Manning has done, having neck surgeries in each of the last two offseasons, Reed was emphatic that he wouldn’t, saying “no” five times.

“No, no,” Reed said. “I mean, no. No. No, not my neck.”

Bolt...I said it before and I'll say it again, the Colts should have never  signed Manning to a mega-deal. He's 35 years old. Even if he was healthy, the Colts do not appear to have the horses to win another SB. They would have been better off trying to trade him to Dallas, Washington, Oakland, San Francisco, Arizona, Minnesota, Miami, or the championship desperate Jets, for players and/or draft choices...and start rebuilding.

If they were intent on paying Prima-donna Peyton, they should have acquired or drafted a potential heir apparent, or, at the very least, a quality back-up, several weeks ago. Vince Young, Ryan Mallett, Brady Quinn, and others who ended up with other teams could have been had at reasonable prices. Instead, at the 11th hour, they spent $4mil. to yank 38 year old Kerry Collins out of retirement . 

Though Kerry Collins is a competent NFL short term solution, he hasn't had nearly enough time to digest the Colts' complicated offensive scheme. It likely will take him 4-6 games to get somewhat comfortable with the system...which spells trouble, if Peyton is to miss multiple games.       

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

All I want is Manning upright when the 4 fatboys of the apocalypse batter down his tissue thin line and drive him into the ground.  Yea, verily, then shall the reign of Manning be ended not with a whimper, but a bang.