Colts Cannot Sell Out Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Colts Cannot Sell Out Game

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

Udog, What are your thoughts on why the game didn't sell out?

BTW, I see that the black out deadline has been extended.

any answer I give is pure speculation.  I am not sure how the pats handle the playoffs with Season ticket holders, but in indy, I think an offer on these tickets is made to season ticket holders midway through the season.  Payment is required and not refunded, I think, until the colts don't make the playoffs, and even then, if they don't, I think the team applies the money to next year's season tickets unless specifically requested otherwise. 

It is possible that at the time the offer went out, that the colts did not look like much of a playoff team and so season ticket holders balked.  Further, given the price of tickets, teams always look for deep pockets to fill seats.  In a small market, those deep pockets are signifcantly less than in a large market. 

I am sure the colts will sell out.  Either way, the NFL has an issue on its hands.  I truly believe it has reached the pinnacle of its financial profitability.  Due to the very high salary cap and teams paying for new stadiums (even public private ventures) tickets have become unaffordable for the vast majority of citizens. 

I think we are going to see big changes in the league over the next 10 years - especially in the small markets. 

The league can't just assume there's another small market to send a team to.  LA never supported a team and yet it is the second largest market in the country.  The large markets will always survive, but beyond maybe 15 locations, the league must be worried. 

I know that's long winded, but I think the league has reached the peak of what they can ask fans to shell out for games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Green Bay not selling out is different from Cincy and Indy, GB just made the playoffs on the last week of the season. Tickets were going to take some time to sell, Indy and Cincy have locked up Home games for weeks now.

doubt it.  the offer is made to season tickets holders by maybe week 10.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

The folks who do not buy tickets or go to these games have DirecTV's football package and can see the games in the comfort of 70 degrees, lounge chairs, big screen TVs and very inexpensive food and drink.  Other than for the Colts, a dome, given the forecasted weather in Cincy and GB, seems that is the reason.

That sounds logical but then how do you explain that Philly is sold out and it's going to be 22 at kickoff Saturday Night.

It's Philly and they are a great sports town.

philadelphia is the sixth largest MSA in the US.  They have a population to cover any issues.  It has nothing to do with being a great sports town. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

Indianapolis one of the poorest cities countrywide...no surprise

Job market is terrible, unemployment is high ..explains it!

This from a guy who appears to be repping a video game via his moniker.  If anyone knows the economy and job markets, its adult who loves his video games. 

Just admit indianapolis is a crappy pro sports town

That would require me to be a lying idiot like you.  I don't subscribe to that.

So, your premise is that it's a good or mediocre sports town, not a crappy one.

Explain how it's not crappy.

You have no baseball or hockey team, you stole your NFL franchise from another town and your NBA team has generally sucked for 30 years there.

So, just how on earth is Indianapolis or Indiana considered a hotbed for pro sports?

No - my premise is that you are a lying idiot. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

The folks who do not buy tickets or go to these games have DirecTV's football package and can see the games in the comfort of 70 degrees, lounge chairs, big screen TVs and very inexpensive food and drink.  Other than for the Colts, a dome, given the forecasted weather in Cincy and GB, seems that is the reason.

That sounds logical but then how do you explain that Philly is sold out and it's going to be 22 at kickoff Saturday Night.

22 is cold, -10 is deadly, you can die at the green bay game, there will be many cases of hypothermia, dozens of hospital beds xif not more, occupied by attending fans. The emergency services of the city will be focused on ensuring that no one is killed by the cold because they had to show how loyal a fan they were. If you can't tell the difference between attending a really cold game and attending one 30-35 degrees colder than that, you probably shouldn't be commenting on the issue. The difference between 22 and -10 is the same as 60 and 28, except that the effects on your vital organs are multiples more dangerous. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

any answer I give is pure speculation.  I am not sure how the pats handle the playoffs with Season ticket holders, but in indy, I think an offer on these tickets is made to season ticket holders midway through the season.  Payment is required and not refunded, I think, until the colts don't make the playoffs, and even then, if they don't, I think the team applies the money to next year's season tickets unless specifically requested otherwise. 

It is possible that at the time the offer went out, that the colts did not look like much of a playoff team and so season ticket holders balked.  Further, given the price of tickets, teams always look for deep pockets to fill seats.  In a small market, those deep pockets are signifcantly less than in a large market. 

I am sure the colts will sell out.  Either way, the NFL has an issue on its hands.  I truly believe it has reached the pinnacle of its financial profitability.  Due to the very high salary cap and teams paying for new stadiums (even public private ventures) tickets have become unaffordable for the vast majority of citizens. 

I think we are going to see big changes in the league over the next 10 years - especially in the small markets. 

The league can't just assume there's another small market to send a team to.  LA never supported a team and yet it is the second largest market in the country.  The large markets will always survive, but beyond maybe 15 locations, the league must be worried. 

I know that's long winded, but I think the league has reached the peak of what they can ask fans to shell out for games.

It is offered up around Thanksgiving time and not refunded. If there is no home game, then they apply the amount towards the next season's pricing.

Of course, here, Krafty Bob might also raise prices as well.

Since the Colts in a slam dunk winning division had ticket holders who balked, doesn't that mean your fanbase is in a crappy sports town?  If Houston is so bad, Jax so bad, Tenn not challenging, how on earth are the ticket holders not paying for playoff tickets?

Do you realize how dumb you sound?

you telling me I sound dumb is a compliment.  You couldn't possibly know what it means.  A few years back you tried to sell boston as a small market. 

The only dumb thing I've done on this board is give you the benefit of the doubt.  I always kick myself (like I have over the past couple of days) for doing it.  And I tell myself, as I have just now, NEVER AGAIN.  Russ is the worst kind of human.  I didn't think anyone could be worse than Babe, but...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I've been to a lot of football games with temperatures in the low 20s. Those are awfully cold and pretty uncomfortable by game's end, but you don't want to kill yourself.  I've been to two games (one at Lambeau and one in Foxboro) when the temperatures have been subzero. In those you really want to die by game's end your feet are so cold.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Pat's vs Tenn game in 2004 was 2 with a wind chill minus 10 and yes it was uncomfortable but I don't remember ever feeling like I was in danger and I don't recall reading about many hypothermia issues the next day. That was the coldest game I have ever been to. I was more uncomfortable last Sunday against Buffalo.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

philadelphia is the sixth largest MSA in the US.  They have a population to cover any issues.  It has nothing to do with being a great sports town. 

You're clearly a moron. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Philly sports, that is a top 3 sports town in the country. Period. Their fans are loonybirds and passionate.

1. Boston

2. Philly/NY

3. NY/Philly

It's just the way it is and you clearly haven't traveled around this country much.

Yes, Boston is number one.  After all, it only takes six of the United States to support 3 professional franchises.  Whereas in NY/NJ metro alone you only have a measly 9 franchises.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I've been to a lot of football games with temperatures in the low 20s. Those are awfully cold and pretty uncomfortable by game's end, but you don't want to kill yourself.  I've been to two games (one at Lambeau and one in Foxboro) when the temperatures have been subzero. In those you really want to die by game's end your feet are so cold.

Layers, Long Johns and foot warmers.   One of the coldest games I've been to is the 1996 AFC title game. 4:30 start, but it was 4 degrees at kick off and went below zero. It was firgggin cold.

Loved every minute of it.

That was the 2nd coldest game I have been at.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Who cares? Really. Who the XYZ cares...

a bonehead cares that's who

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

You're clearly a moron. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Philly sports, that is a top 3 sports town in the country. Period. Their fans are loonybirds and passionate.

1. Boston

2. Philly/NY

3. NY/Philly

It's just the way it is and you clearly haven't traveled around this country much.

And your opinion on any matter is meaningless.  You've defined 3 of the historically largest markets in the country as great sports towns.  Wow.  I'll bet you knew water was wet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

It is offered up around Thanksgiving time and not refunded. If there is no home game, then they apply the amount towards the next season's pricing.

Of course, here, Krafty Bob might also raise prices as well.

Since the Colts in a slam dunk winning division had ticket holders who balked, doesn't that mean your fanbase is in a crappy sports town?  If Houston is so bad, Jax so bad, Tenn not challenging, how on earth are the ticket holders not paying for playoff tickets?

Do you realize how dumb you sound?

you telling me I sound dumb is a compliment.  You couldn't possibly know what it means.  A few years back you tried to sell boston as a small market. 

The only dumb thing I've done on this board is give you the benefit of the doubt.  I always kick myself (like I have over the past couple of days) for doing it.  And I tell myself, as I have just now, NEVER AGAIN.  Russ is the worst kind of human.  I didn't think anyone could be worse than Babe, but...

Wow. You seemed to be pretty annoyed by this thread on our board, huh? Interesting.

So, you're on here with a premise talking about population (you just said Philly was only a big market based on size only) as to what a "market" means, yet it's what I used to explain why Boston at 550K as the main city in a region, similar to Indianapolis, is not that big.

Hypocrite much?

Oh boy, UNderpanties, have you got your self in a bind on this one. LMAO

Please remove you creepy child molester avatar, too.

Not really.  I just like treating you like the b tch you are.  I am not interested in helping you improve your intelligence.  If you are too stupid to undersand, that's your problem. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Pat's vs Tenn game in 2004 was 2 with a wind chill minus 10 and yes it was uncomfortable but I don't remember ever feeling like I was in danger and I don't recall reading about many hypothermia issues the next day. That was the coldest game I have ever been to. I was more uncomfortable last Sunday against Buffalo.

THat was one of my two coldest games.  I guess it wasn't even subzero without the windchill Wink

I was dressed for it, but it was really cold way up near the top of the third deck.  Oddly, the coldest game I was at at Lambeau (about four degrees at kick off, but sunny) didn't feel nearly as cold as a Detroit game I was there for where the temperature was in the teens, but it was snowing and just damp and uncomfortable. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

1. Boston

2. Philly/NY

3. NY/Philly

Yes, Boston is number one.  After all, it only takes six of the United States to support 3 professional franchises.  Whereas in NY/NJ metro alone you only have a measly 9 franchises.

Jealousy.

I'm not sure I've ever run across anyone that claims others are jealous anywhere near as often as you do.  Jealousy just isn't a common thing.  But let's say it was, what, in this case, would one be jealous about?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If tickets are available, it's not sold out.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Exactly, which is why I said it's already sold out regardless of some stupid article that claims it's not sold out.

Lambeau has been sold out for like 40 years straight.   Christ, their preseason games are a tough ticket. I am not kidding.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts