Colts Disgrace Themselves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Colts Disgrace Themselves

The Indianapolis Colts' 62-7 loss last night to the New Orleans Saints goes beyond embarrassing, to out-right disgraceful. After such an inexcusable performance, in which the Indy players clearly quit...it's time for heads to roll...beginning with Jom Caldwell and his staff, and ending with the Polians. 

The Saints averaged nearly one first down per minute last night...picking up 36 of them in just over 38 minutes! Drew Bree completed 31 of 35 passes, and threw 5 TD passes. The Saints put up 557 yards in total offense...321 threw the air, and 236 on the ground:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311023018

Does anybody still belieeve that the sole problem with the Colts is that they are Peyton-less? Here's what IndyStar columnist Bob Kravitz had to say about this pounding:

Dolphins are bad, but Colts just might be worse

NEW ORLEANS Sorry, Miami Dolphins. Andrew Luck isn't going to take his talents to South Beach without a bare-knuckle fight from the Indianapolis Colts, who want to bring those talents to Beech Grove, or maybe Pike Township.

On a day when the winless Dolphins seemed to establish themselves as the worst team in the NFL, blowing a 15-point home lead to the Broncos in the final three minutes, the winless Colts outdid them, losing 62-7 to the New Orleans Saints while establishing themselves, unofficially, as the WTL (worst team in the league).

Now the question is, if the Dolphins or Colts start to tank their seasons in an effort to procure Luck, how will anybody be able to tell?

It was as if the Colts looked the nation in the eye and said, "You think the Dolphins are bad? You think that's bad. Wait until you see us."

Sixty-two points.

Let that marinate for a while.

Sixty-freaking-two.

It was so bad, it's hard to imagine that Jim Caldwell and most of his staff will somehow survive beyond the season. Caldwell didn't just lose a game Sunday night, he lost his team, and it was obvious whether Antoine Bethea was whiffing on Darren Sproles or Austin Collie, invisible again, was dropping a perfect pass over the middle. (Oops, Brody Eldridge just dropped a pass as this sentence was being written.)

"Were you OK with your team's effort?" I asked Robert Mathis in the locker room.

"No," he said tersely.

He continued.

"We can put forth a lot better effort," he said, the anger simmering just below the surface. "That's the first time I've seen it. First time. And it reflects badly on me and all our leaders."

Whether it's Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck next season, it seems like a fait accompli that somebody else will be coaching them. I like Caldwell, think he did a fine job the Super Bowl year and last year. But this team should not be 0-7 and heading to 0-9. He's not alone in culpability -- start first with Chris and Bill Polian -- but New Orleans will be Caldwell's Waterloo. Jim Irsay doesn't like to be embarrassed, especially not on national TV.

I believe Caldwell will last the season.

Not so sure about the defensive coordinator, Larry Coyer, who looked so dazed walking out of the locker room, you'd swear he'd been walloped by a baseball bat.

Here's how ridiculous it got:

On the Saints' four opening touchdown drives, they didn't have a single third down. Not one. The chain gang was gassed by the second quarter.

Late in the second quarter, country-music star and national anthem singer Kenny Chesney stepped into the booth where Saints coach Sean Payton was calling his team's plays. No word on whether Chesney actually called some plays, although if he did, they'd have surely resulted in long passes to wide-open receivers.

When the Saints got the ball with a 31-7 lead, 1:52 left in the half and two timeouts, they scored when they weren't even trying to score. They were huddling up, killing the clock, not even interested in using timeouts. And still, they ripped all the way down the field, kicking a field goal to go up 34-7 at half.

At halftime -- and I'm not making this up -- the Southern University band marched into a formation that read "34-7." Now, when the band is dogging you, things are hitting rock bottom.

My favorite number on a night filled with them: Drew Brees, who was 31-of-35 for 325 yards and five touchdowns in three quarters, threw more TD passes than he had incompletions.

"We just got whupped across the board," Caldwell said. "We've just got to face facts."

Said Saints tight end Jimmy Graham: "It did seem like everything we called worked."

Saints fans ask, "Who dat?"

Colts fans ask, "What dat?"

Dat was embarrassing. Dat was a joke. Dat was the kind of performance that gets coaches fired -- especially defensive coordinators whose defenses are comically bad and whose players aren't within 10 yards of receivers.

For the Saints offense, this was a glorified seven-on-seven drill. By early in the second quarter, the Colts were petitioning the NFL for a running clock. The league, meanwhile, was thinking about starting the flex-scheduling option well before the eighth week of the season. We've seen more entertaining episodes of "Hoarders."

This isn't going to get any better, either, no matter how many times Bill Polian talks about "correctible errors" or players, who've run out of things to say, talk about having no place to go but up.

Did we see a little bit of quit in the Colts on Sunday?

Sixty-two-seven says we did.

Anyway, if that's the way they perform when they're still playing hard, heaven help them. Then they're even more bereft of talent that anybody could have imagined. As time wound down, Polian stood in the tunnel at the back of the end zone, the giant scoreboard flashing before him like a taunt: "62-7."

There is some good news, though: The Colts' schedule the rest of the season is tougher than the Dolphins. Indy isn't giving up Andrew Luck without a fight: http://www.indystar.com/article/20111024/SPORTS15/110240336/Kravitz-Dolphins-bad-Colts-just-might-worse

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Colts Disgrace Themselves

If I lived in Indy, I might give a damn.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The slaughter of the Colts' last night has been rated as the 8th worst blow-out loss of all-time: http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/10/24/the-indianapolis-colts-bottom-out-with-a-dreadful-62-7-loss-in-primetime/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

My question is this -  When Indy shows up in Foxboro in week 13, will the Pats do to them what the Saints did?  If they do, will we hear screams of piling on when we did not hear so much in the Saints game?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Colts Disgrace Themselves:
    My question is this -  When Indy shows up in Foxboro in week 13, will the Pats do to them what the Saints did?  If they do, will we hear screams of piling on when we did not hear so much in the Saints game?
    Posted by agcsbill

The question I have is...will Jim Caldwell still be around by then?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

I am convinced that this team is intentionally tanking it. I also believe that they would not have better than 2 wins even if they were trying. This team is pitiful. If jughead was QB they would have 2 wins at the most. I am very disappointed that the manning clan doesn't get more pub for fixing things (like the Eli draft fiasco) and this years Peyton non-injury tank job. This is epic proportions, rivaling the 1919 Black Sox scandal. I'm outraged that the media says nothing.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

the colts have proven they are gutless. idk which is worse, the red sox or the colts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

62-7, Nice!

I bet Luck is just giddy thinking about going to a team this bad! Not...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Indianapolis Star thinks Caldwell is a goner

Indianapolis Colts v Cincinnati BengalsGetty Images

The biggest columnist writing the only paper in town thinks Jim Caldwell is going to get fired by the Colts.

Florio delved deeply into the Colts’ dysfunction earlier Monday, wondering who could take the fall for Indy’s sad season.  Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star thinksCaldwell is a goner.

“It was so bad, it’s hard to imagine that Jim Caldwell and most of his staff will somehow survive beyond the season. Caldwell didn’t just lose a game Sunday night, he lost his team,” Kravitz wrote.

He later said it was a fait accompli that Caldwell will be elsewhere next year.

“[Colts owner] Jim Irsay doesn’t like to be embarrassed, especially not on national TV,” Kravitz wrote.

For now, the Caldwell talk seems to be mostly just informed speculation. But Sunday night’s game could linger and it’s a depressing time in Indianapolis.

There is an article on the Star’s website Monday discussing whether the Colts, Rams, or Dolphins are theworst team in the league.

We’d still vote for the Rams, but the Colts are making a strong case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

First...I hope we beat them worse than the Saints did last night...destroy their wills to live ever again...on TV no less...it would be a beautiful thing!

Second, we have the opportunity to utterly cripple the franchise AND their fan base with such a drubbing - we could lead them into the "Dump Caldwell and Polian" movement...losing in an azz kicking to the Saints is one thing, but losing to Brady  and BB in a worse manner would be a death knell for both Caldwell and the Polian clan...wouldn't THAT be worth a 72-3 beating?!

Third...why not "Just Do It", for the fun of it...at this point we'll be criticized for NOT being able to crush them, so why not face the same withering national press assault by pummeling them?  I say do it, and don't look back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The slaughter of the Colts' last night has been rated as the 8th worst blow-out loss of all-time: http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/10/24/the-indianapolis-colts-bottom-out-with-a-dreadful-62-7-loss-in-primetime/
    Posted by TexasPat3

payback for moving out of Baltimore. Johnny U is reeling in his grave

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I expect this from the CFL and the Arena football league not the NFL. This is a GD disgrace.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

As the Colts progressively increase how badly they suck, Underdog gets scarcer and scarcer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Damn, I had Indy's defense for my fantasy team.  I thought it was going to be a close, low scoring game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Posted by TexasPat3

Thanks for posting this.  I was thinking that this had to be one of the highest scoring games in NFL history.  I understand that the Colts are without Manning, but it really was beyond ridiculous.  Thankfully, I was more interested in watching the World Series so really didn't watch much of the football game.  But everytime I changed the channel  New Orleans had the  ball and were close to scoring again. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Eh.  It's not fun anymore.  I don't think I will spend any more time thinking about the Clots.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I wish the Dolphins and the Colts played each other this year. It would be interesting to see which team started more practice squad players.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I don't believe that I've yet to read ANY thread ever in all my days of posting, In which it offers an article that has actually made me consider the possibility of throwing away any and every book, magazine, newspaper, -ANY shred of paper or writing in my entire household which holds just 1 single letter or more from The English Language (any written language- Any number too; why not?)--JUST SO I can surround myself & hang all over my walls in the hundreds, A story which is perhaps arguably, THE single greatest composition (& on a subject I sooo greatly admire)-ever written by any human soul, since the dawn of communicating any ideas through printed symbols...

Really, that's just about where I stand on this article that TexasPat graced our lives forever with, right here.

Just from within this small excerpt alone...

"
    Now the question is, if the Dolphins or Colts start to tank their seasons in an effort to procure Luck, how will anybody be able to tell?

It was as if the Colts looked the nation in the eye and said, "You think the Dolphins are bad? You think that's bad. Wait until you see us."

Sixty-two points.

Let that marinate for a while.

Sixty-freaking-two.

It was so bad, it's hard to imagine that Jim Caldwell and most of his staff will somehow survive beyond the season. Caldwell didn't just lose a game Sunday night, he lost his team, and it was obvious whether Antoine Bethea was whiffing on Darren Sproles or Austin Collie, invisible again, was dropping a perfect pass over the middle. (Oops, Brody Eldridge just dropped a pass as this sentence was being written.)
    On the Saints' four opening touchdown drives, they didn't have a single third down. Not one. The chain gang was gassed by the second quarter.

Late in the second quarter, country-music star and national anthem singer Kenny Chesney stepped into the booth where Saints coach Sean Payton was calling his team's plays. No word on whether Chesney actually called some plays, although if he did, they'd have surely resulted in long passes to wide-open receivers.

When the Saints got the ball with a 31-7 lead, 1:52 left in the half and two timeouts, they scored when they weren't even trying to score. They were huddling up, killing the clock, not even interested in using timeouts. And still, they ripped all the way down the field, kicking a field goal to go up 34-7 at half.

At halftime -- and I'm not making this up -- the Southern University band marched into a formation that read "34-7." Now, when the band is dogging you, things are hitting rock bottom.

My favorite number on a night filled with them: Drew Brees, who was 31-of-35 for 325 yards and five touchdowns in three quarters, threw more TD passes than he had incompletions."

(-just within this excerpt alone-)...A reader is able to BOTH acquire a complete and thorough intrepretation in the writer's portrayal of the actual events which occured...AND randomly burst out in laughter, with what- Perhaps 6, bare minimum, COMPLETELY seperate instances in amusement of the reality and choice of words within the author's written expressions...AND finally (for the lit lovers), A reader is actually left both impressed and bewildered, in terms of how simply unimaginably underused the term, "marinate" actually is in either written or spoken forms of communication...because trully, "Marinate" is the FAR more impressive and totally overlooked, metaphorically descriptive AND Action verb, Greater term of choice in comparison to his ever underproducing & considerably unimpressive, meek little brother: "Stew".

Yup- Wh-OLE lots ta like 'bout what we're seein' right here...        

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from taljr. Show taljr's posts

Posted by agcsbill

I was thinking the exact same thing...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

If i was a colts fan i would have unfriended them- sunday night they revealed their organization has no soul

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from taljr. Show taljr's posts

This shows how difficult it is to win in the NFL on a year by year basis. The unbalanced schedule, the salary cap, injuries, coaching changes, free agency...What's been going on in NE with this owner, coach, and QB is so special. Brady went down with the knee Game 1 and the Pat's competed and had a pretty good year without him. Rebuilding? People get so pissy because NE hasn't gone far in the playoffs for the last few years, but they have been rebuilding AND competing at a high level, remaining in the NFL elite. This is such a difficult thing to do. The NFL is set up NOT to compete every year. Let's hope we get get spoiled and just enjoy every year this owner, coach and QB stay together. Records keep breaking. I don't miss the 1-15 years, praying for the number one pick. Indy has QB questions, coaching questions, and looks like their rebuilding is gonna keep hurting more and more. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Posted by agcsbill

No.  The pats are not that good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

the colts have proven they are gutless. idk which is worse, the red sox or the colts.
    Posted by btownteamsrking

No question.  The red sox.  They actually had a huge lead and their whole team.  They laid down.  They colts at least fought for 6 winless games until last night. 

The sox are a disgrace to baseball. Its not even debateable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Colts Disgrace Themselves : No.  The pats are not that good.
    Posted by UD6

You are implying the Pats O is worse than the Saints O?  Boy, you are drinking some sort of Colts kool-aid!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

Total Offense (YPG) Complete List
    1.  New England Patriots 474.5
    2.  New Orleans Saints 467.1

Sections
Shortcuts