Colts forfeit game against the Bills

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Colts forfeit game against the Bills

Indianapolis Colts Forfeit Game Against Buffalo - End Season 14-2

by Joe Tracy (copyright, NEWSdial.com - Dec 29, 2009)

Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian announced today that the Colts have officially forfeited their game against the Buffalo Bills on Sunday in order to rest the starters who have become tired from winning.

The news stunned the NFL community as there has not been a forfeit in the NFL since the 1920s.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was shocked to receive notice, via overnight Collect On Delivery, that the Colts were refusing to play Buffalo.

"We're stunned," said Goodell. "It's just as rare for a team to forfeit a game as it is for one to go undefeated in a season."

The Colts players were told this morning, by coach Jim Caldwell, of the decision to forfeit the Buffalo Bills game. When cornered by reporters after the meeting, all the players, in unison, said "we support everything our coach and team president tells us to support. We question no one. We are loyal followers." The players then went to another room to watch the 1975 movie, The Stepford Wives followed by the 2004 remake of The Stepford Wives.

"They love those movies," said Caldwell. "However, the sequel isn't quite as good as the original."

When criticized for forfeiting the game, Polian stated, "We only have one goal every year and that is to rest players before the end of the season so that they can lose in the playoffs. After all, the last time we didn't rest our players in a final season game (2006/2007 season), we went on to win the Super Bowl. We're trying to avoid that scenario again."

Colts fans are irate over the forfeit, coming just days after the Colts president and coach ruined a perfect season by pulling starters in the third quarter with a slim lead against the New York Jets. After that game, which the Colts lost due to the starters being benched, their coach defended his choice to sit players.

"The Colts are not interested in acheiving historic greatness by going undefeated in the regular season and the playoffs," said Caldwell. "All we want to do is beat the Chargers in the playoffs. Had we gone for a perfect season in route to a Super bowl victory, we would have forever been revered like the 1972 Dolphins. But we don't care about how history remembers us."

Caldwell and Polian referenced injury and age of starters as a primary concern for sitting them.

"Peyton Manning is getting up there in age," said Caldwell. "He needs two weeks rest before a playoff game these days."

In response, Manning said, "I support whatever the coach says. After all, I may have sprained a pinky and it could have knocked my QB rating down by one tenth of one percentage point and that may have been enough for us to only win by 14 points instead of 17 against any given opponent."

Former Colts coach Tony Dungy is also defending the decision to sit players.

"Who wants to achieve memorable NFL immortality when you can just win a Superbowl that no one will remember three years from now? It's all about short term thinking, not long term historically significant accomplishments that take a lifetime to achieve, if ever. Why would a team want to have a perfect season and win the Superbowl when you can just try to win a Superbowl? Compare it to running a marathon. More runners would do better and win if they sat down and rested for 20 minutes before reaching the finish line. How can people not get this?"

The negative reaction from Colts fans to the decision to throw a game in order to supposedly keep starters from getting injured hasn't fallen on deaf ears. Polian promises things will be different next year.

"Next year our plan is to throw the first game of the season so that this controversy doesn't arise again."

After the announcement, 31 NFL teams petitioned the NFL to play the Colts in the first game of the 2010 season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: Colts forfeit game against the Bills

Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Holy crap, I literally just fell over laughing. I can't wait for doggg to try and defend this move by Na-Polian.

Nice job HRK digging this one up

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Just checked out the forcast in Buffalo for Sunday 19 degrees and snow and 22mph  wind.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Great post btw Harley. Awesome stuff :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

That's pretty good roadking.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Bill naPOLIAN HASNOHART  petitioned the league to cover all cold weather stadiums, GODell is taking it under consideration, and will ask president O'longBama for federal stimulus money.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFree93HOF. Show DFree93HOF's posts

This is very funny.... Why not forfeit?  Most Colts fans are beside themselves over last week anyway.......  Here's to hoping that the D can hold down the fort long enough for the Offense to get back into sync.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

"Wonder if NaPolian petitioned the league to put the Colts in the South instead of the AFC North to prevent more cold weather games." Would have thought Baltimore going to the South where they had some good history with Tennessee and Jacksonville would have made more sense. Then have the Colts go up against the Browns, Bengals, and Steelers would have made for a better rivalry.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Nice work Harley finding that breaking news.  That Tracey guy is a much better writer than any of the other people covering the NFL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

OMG what a great post. Got me laughing pretty hard. If the colts (lower case c) win the super bowl they will always be remembered as the team that could have been for a couple months, then fade away. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

They will take the "most hated team" crown from the Pats, if they actually don;t dhow up. Even if they played on Sunday, the petition just made many people hate them. Probably even refs. Goodbye phantom PI calls!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I checked the site, Harley. The article looks like a work of satire. And it is nowhere on any of the major sports outlets. It's probably not true. I wish it was.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

If its satire its awesome satire and IMO is how many Colts fans see the situation.

Many fans of the league should see it for what it is this season.  The Jets are getting a free pass to the playoffs and the other teams in contention are getting screwed.  The fans especially when they pay top dollar to see a real football game and not some silly scrimage are getting ripped off period.  This year is very interesting and many are seeing the NFL for what it is the Not Fun League.  Going for a perfect season is fun, blowing an opportunity for one by putting in scrubs is not fun.  Not fun for the players and not fun for the fans.   Thanks NFL.  Now go fine some player $10000 dollars for making a G O D D A M snow angel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

First: 5/29/2009
    Last: 1/2/2010
    I checked the site, Harley. The article looks like a work of satire. And it is nowhere on any of the major sports outlets. It's probably not true. I wish it was.

Look at my second post, it's the winking emoticon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

'Got it, Harley. I did not notice that. Man, I still wish it were true. It is funny though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Many fans of the league should see it for what it is this season. The Jets are getting a free pass to the playoffs and the other teams in contention are getting screwed.  The fans especially when they pay top dollar to see a real football game and not some silly scrimage are getting ripped off period. 

BS.  BS.  BS.

Yeah, I would totally hate to go to the Pats last regular season game knowing that they were in the playoffs and decided to rest their starters. Why would I bother rooting for a team that made the playoffs? I want to see the stars play.

The only ones who got screwed by this were fans of history. It has absolutely nothing to do with the playoffs or competitiveness of the regular season game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Root, How Can you say We Pat's Fans didn't get scr#wed by Indianapolis's laying down in this season's end?  
    ~Indy disappoints their fans, looks like complete wimps, and makes the League look bad, THEN N.E. inevitably gets to keep League History of being the one team that finished a 16 game regular season schedule perfect, potentially forever sealing having the permanent label as The Decade's Best Team, AND THEN N.E. and their fans might just get yet 1 more chance to embarass our rival Jests, this time in the playoffs...  I think we got totally shafted by Indy here.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Funny stuff!! You should post this article on an Indy website.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Cowards; non-competitors; business people in a football uniform.  WOW!  Talk about a buiness decision overriding that which transpires on the field- all (i.e. the whole game) of it!

Well, Pats fans- you heard it.  The ponies don't want to be tired/cold or get hurt.  This is a football forum, yeah?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from frank53. Show frank53's posts

Hello !!!!!!   You Play to win the game

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

I think it's more funny with how many people took this topic completely seriously, lol! I knew it was a joke news story with the lol quote from Polian:

"When criticized for forfeiting the game, Polian stated, "We only have one goal every year and that is to rest players before the end of the season so that they can lose in the playoffs. After all, the last time we didn't rest our players in a final season game (2006/2007 season), we went on to win the Super Bowl. We're trying to avoid that scenario again.""

Another key is look what year it claims the Colts won the Superbowl...2006/2007 season...uhhh...the year the Pats played the Giants in the Superbowl.

I love the line..."We're trying to avoid that scenario again" ... LOL

Also them watching the Stepford Wives is classic!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Root, How Can you say We Pat's Fans didn't get scr#wed by Indianapolis's laying down in this season's end?  
    ~Indy disappoints their fans, looks like complete wimps, and makes the League look bad, THEN N.E. inevitably gets to keep League History of being the one team that finished a 16 game regular season schedule perfect, potentially forever sealing having the permanent label as The Decade's Best Team, AND THEN N.E. and their fans might just get yet 1 more chance to embarass our rival Jests, this time in the playoffs...  I think we got totally shafted by Indy here.  

Excellent points. What was I thinking? (I actually already sent Polian a Thank You e-card, but I haven't heard back yet.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Excellent points. What was I thinking? (I actually already sent Polian a Thank You e-card, but I haven't heard back yet.)

~LOL...a "computer e-card", Sorry to break it to you root, but they just mastered fire in Indianapolis (electricity and computers are scheduled for next millenia...as of now they've moved on to working out the kinks of their 4-sided wheels).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Phew. That actually makes sense. I was starting to think that they decided to rest their efforts towards joining the Internet community in order to focus on more important goals.

Sections
Shortcuts