Colts just released Bob Sanders

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vegasredsox. Show vegasredsox's posts

Colts just released Bob Sanders

If the guy could stay healthy he would be a good pickup for cheap money

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Colts just released Bob Sanders

You should be able to rent him by the week at this point.  He is too much of an injury risk, but could be effective one week and gone the next., so maybe like I said if you give him a week to week contract, im all for it....but seriously, as much I hated to see him in the lineup against him, I feel bad for him with all the injuries....he was undersized , but had big heart and could hit like a Bear...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

give him a contract based on playing time.  vet min + contract escelators based on the number of games he plays. +1 million per 4 games he plays.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Its said to be a weak safety draft this year. I wonder what the Colts have planned.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nellie2355. Show nellie2355's posts

i really like bob sanders and you can really see the difference he can bring to a defence and look what he did for the colts. i would love to see him in a pats uniform but it will never happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Can he even still play, though?  He can't even be counted on, hence why he was released.  He's just not made to play in the league.

Had the potential to be a great one, but he's too brittle.

Colts are doing everything now to pay Greedy Gomer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Colts will sign Melvin Bullitt and work to re-sign Sanders.  The colts were working on a new deal with sanders (significantly less money).  Obviously, they could not agree, so he was cut.  He will look for a better deal on the market.  If no great deals are out there (and someone may give him one), I expect him to re-sign with the colts. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That doesn't make any sense. He'd take the pay cut before being released because now if some desperate team jumps at the chance to overpay him and take on the risk, he'd love to have that security during a possible Lock Out.

What they'd like to see doesn';t mean it will happen, especially with Gomer demanding to be the highest paid player at age 35 and going downhill.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

What makes no sense? 

Sanders has not produced to the contract given, so the colts asked him to terminate his current contract and sign a new one for signficantly less money.  Clearly, he obviously balked at the colts number, so the colts cut him. 

Sanders was due 5.5 mill in 2011 which wouldn't begin being paid until the season started, but he also had a 500k workout bonus that probably would have been paid sometime in the offseason. 

As I see it there were 3 reasons for cutting him now:

1.  didn't want to pay the workout bonus
    2.  cutting him before the lockout somehow helps the colts.
    3.  the colts were being kind to Sanders (given that he would not accept their lower offer) and cut him now so that he may try to get a deal quickly. 

Obviously the colts would like to keep sanders, but they won't at that salary.  I am sure they are hopeful there is no one willing to pay him big money, but you never know. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Why not just keep him under contract and restrucure? Why allow a team to offer him more?

That's what makes no sense.

If it's true they truly wanted to keep him, they wouldn't feel a need to cut him yet unless they are more strapped than I thought for cash up front for Gomer.

The latter is entirely possible.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Colts just released Bob Sanders:
    [QUOTE]Why not just keep him under contract and restrucure? Why allow a team to offer him more? That's what makes no sense. If it's true they truly wanted to keep him, they wouldn't feel a need to cut him yet unless they are more strapped than I thought for cash up front for Gomer. The latter is entirely possible.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

They've been trying to restructure.  Clearly they could not come to an agreement.  I'd imagine the colts had a max number in mind and Sanders said no to it.  Why pay 500k in offseason bonus to someone who is not going to accept the revised terms? 

The only the colts are ever going to get Bob Sanders back at their price is to cut him and let the market decide.  If the market doesn't want him (and they probably do-even with his injury history) then the colts will get him back. 

a 5.5 million salary for someone who has played in 9 games in the last 48 is not smart business.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

tas - even in the tampa-2 Sanders had a lot more flexibility than you might give him credit for.  He played a lot like polamalu does.  roaming.  instinctive. and frequently right. 

He was often the guy who closed a hole in the line stopping running backs.  If you have a free safety who has range (and Bethea does) then a guy like sanders is perfect.  Too bad he could not stay healthy. 

I am sure someone will pay him more than the colts are willing to, so we will not see him in a colts uni again. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

If size is what you mean, I'll say what I said many years ago.  Rodney Harrison was like 6 foot 220 (in that range).  Sanders is 5'8" 208.  He was as big for his height as Harrison. 

I guess my point is, he seems to be smart enough to play in any system.  His problem is until he proves everyone wrong, he is broken. 

Now your comment about linebackers is significantly different.  The pats typically employ bigger linebackers than the colts.  That is a result of style of play (imo) as opposed to scheme.  For example - Urlacher is a good sized linebacker playing in the T2 while Brackett is much smaller playing in the same system.

Polomalu is better yes, but only because he is more durable.  Don't forget Sanders won DPOY and was all-pro twice.  He just hasn't held up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

[QUOTE]That doesn't make any sense. He'd take the pay cut before being released because now if some desperate team jumps at the chance to overpay him and take on the risk, he'd love to have that security during a possible Lock Out. What they'd like to see doesn';t mean it will happen, especially with Gomer demanding to be the highest paid player at age 35 and going downhill.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

IMHO, some team desperate for that extra edge will probably over-pay him.  He'll be ostensibly healthy, but we Colt fans know that his joints are weak.  Just a matter of time before his dislocates an elbow or hyperextends a knee.  He's a very tough individual, but the physiology of his joints is such that they can't take the stress...  BTW, I haven't heard of Manning demanding anything.  Irsay (who is nutso with the Twitter account) seems to love to talk about making PM the highest paid player in the league...must be some kind of ego thing for Irsay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The guy has played in 9 games over the last 3 years after he signed the big contract. I'm actually surprised he wasn't cut last year. For a desperate team who think they could be on the fringe of the playoffs and needs a S Sanders would be a big splash for small money but for a team in contention every year it's hard to tie up a roster spot and  even vet money for a player that just can't stay on the field not matter his production when he does play

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

HAHAHAAHA I just heard he was cut. and I immediately knew if I came on here, there would be at LEAST 1 post about him as a potential option ...LOVE IT!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Tas - when I think of any basic cover two defense, I think of two deep safeties and corners playing short zone.  Obviously the professional level is significantly more complicated, but the tampa 2 is considered one of the simplest systems.  That said, Sanders was granted a great deal of freedom within that system.  Freedom can only be granted to someone with enough intelligence and skills to understand when and when not to take risks.  A player that can do that can adapt to any system in my opinion if size is not the question. 

And again, I'll say Sanders at his height was as big as Harrison at his. 

As for Urlacher, he is still a big player who can cover.  I agree with you that the colts LB's could not work in the NE system.  They look for totally different types  and sizes of players.  I don't think that same perspective applies to corners and safeties.  Just my opinion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

We do not need this guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Tas - first, suggesting that he could play in the pats system does not mean I think the pats should go after him.  That's not the point of this discussion.  In fact, I think anyone other than the colts that chooses to pay him is taking a huge risk.  Last year the city was really looking forward to his return.  His repaired knee was good, and the freak biceps injury was over.  Then he tears his other biceps.  The point being with him, when you expect things to be good, there is ample evidence to be concerned that they may not be. 

Now back to our discussion - I realize the freedom to roam means he knows his system, but being able to execute and have freedom within a system well beyond its intended effectiveness and flexibility (and Sanders did - dpoy) tells you that he is smart and talented.  Assuming that he is some kind of savant that can only work within that system is short sighted in my opinion. 

And I am making my argument assuming he was not so injury prone.  His injuries suggest that he can't play in any system, frankly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts just released Bob Sanders : IMHO, some team desperate for that extra edge will probably over-pay him.  He'll be ostensibly healthy, but we Colt fans know that his joints are weak.  Just a matter of time before his dislocates an elbow or hyperextends a knee.  He's a very tough individual, but the physiology of his joints is such that they can't take the stress...  BTW, I haven't heard of Manning demanding anything.  Irsay (who is nutso with the Twitter account) seems to love to talk about making PM the highest paid player in the league...must be some kind of ego thing for Irsay.
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

Nice to see you honest for once.  Rare for you. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Tas - I understand your point.  I guess I just think its the front 7 of defensive systems that bear more of the responsibility for differentiating one system from another.  Now obviously in the defensive backfield you can have corners play man or zone, but I just don't know how extremely different one system's strong safety play is from another, especially if the team "mixes it up a bit". 

I'm no football genius so maybe I am completely off base. 

Sections
Shortcuts