Colts Look Off?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Colts Look Off?

I know it's just preseason but there's something about them that doesn't seem right. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Colts Look Off?

Buffalo isn't that good a team, and Indy, especially with Peyton Manning on the field, should have swamped them with offensive points.  Instead I see Manning's team punting, Manning throwing the pick six, and Manning's team punting.  Manning also had touchdown drives of 63 yards and 17 yards.  Please get Peyton his cup of coffee because this type of performance is pretty strange for him.  He earned a quarterback rating of 66.3 tonight.

Dallas Clark was apparently inactive, a victim of an injury but that sometimes happens with old age. 

At the same time, Buffalo scored 14 points off of the Colts defense in the first quarter.

Because Buffalo is a team in transition, and because they weren't that good last year, Indy's performance qualifies as a step downward.  The team's core has a bit more age and a bit less talent on the field.  They're still a potent 11.9 victory team and only 9.7 Houston will challenge them for the division title.  However, they're in for a somewhat even three-way fight this year if they want to earn a bye week.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'm really hesitant to read too much into a preseason game.  For example, preseason records are historically poor indicators of regular season records.  

That said, it is quite common for the SB loser to struggle the following year.  Who knows why, but it's well known that it happens often.  Additionally, with each passing season, their success will be more on Caldwell and less due to Dungy.  For example, if Caldwell does not possess the same motivational skills as Dungy, you could expect a decline with the passage of time post Dungy.  I know we all like to rag on Dungy, but he wasn't a bad coach.

Like I said, it's preseason.  The Colts have had a long regular season run of success.  It cannot be easy to maintain that.  I'm sure they'll have a winning season this year, but it won't surprise me if they perform this year like the Pats did last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Wasn't Indy 0-4 last year in the preseason?  Something like 1-3 the year before?  I wouldn't place a whole lot on this unless Manning is really struggling for some reason.  Even then it always seems like things come together come the start of the season.  They'll be the usual force.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

I'm pretty sure Indy had one of the worst preseason records of the past decade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I watched the first half on the internet. They were a little out of sync.Manning threw a pick six on a ball thrown low and inside that the receiver lunged for and deflected. The guys announcing the game bent over backwards to blame the receiver and tell everyone that it wasn't Mannings fault but it was at least partially.. I also think Indy was missing a good portion of their O-Line if I heard correctly. CJ spiller looked awesome for the Bills. With Jackson getting hurt they don't lose anything bringing him in. Evans beat the Indy secondary for a large bomb for a TD. The Bills did best in the first half running straight at the Colts. Their first series they came out running and moved down the field until Spiller broke off a 31 yd td. The 2nd series they came out passing all three downs and Edwards got pummelled. This is one reason the Pats should stay committed to running.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'd take Indy's performance with a grain of salt, especially without Dallas Clark in the line-up, if I were any of you. Dallas Clark is the key to that offense. Do you know how many 30+ TD season Peyton Manning had before Dallas joined the offense? 1 in 4 years. 

Do you know how many 30+ TD seasons Peyton has had since then? 4 in 8 years! Add to that, the first time Reggie Wayne caught for over 1000 yards in a season was when Dallas Clark joined the team. 

BTW, that pick was amazing. It wasn't Peyton's fault. The ball shouldn't have been thrown in the first place, but the INT of itself was all Terrence McGee's talent. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

The pick six was not a well thrown ball, but the receiver got his hand on it.  Both to blame.  That said, I am sure Manning was trying to throw it to a space no defender could get to.  Guess he didn't account for the tipped ball.  

In the last 5 preseasons - not counting this year - Indy's record is 4-16.  Their regular season record for those 5 seasons is 65-15.  I hope the pats and every colt opponent thinks like Paul K, but I am sure they are not that short sighted. 

That said, Indy's oline is a REAL mess.  I've been on this board ragging on the pats oline, but currently the pats oline looks like all-pros to indys.  Indy did not start 3 of last year's starting offensive line.  They started someone who I've yet to hear of (better look that guy up).  Johnson and Devan did play, but did not start.  Saturday is currently out. 

There is real concern about the line and I think Manning understands that.  It appeared to me that in the passing game the colts were trying mainly short yardage stuff which wouldn't work when the dbs are pressing receivers at the line. 

Addai and Brown looked pretty good running the ball (Brown dropped a pass he should have caught).  I saw some positives on the d, and Curtis Painter looked much better. 

All in all, pretty much what I would expect, but I will also admit there were times that the colts looked off. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Rusty - what did you predict that you were correct about?  That the oline is sketchy?  When did you predict this - after Saturday, Johnson, McClendon, and DeVan ended up hobbled?  Clairvoyant indeed. 

By the way, the colts dumped Lilja.  He didn't leave. 

The one thing you may be right about (and I have thought myself - only time will tell) is how big a deal the absence of Mudd is to this whole issue.  Mudd was great at finding ways to make his line effective even when it looked like a scrap heap. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Colts Look Off?:
    [QUOTE]The pick six was not a well thrown ball, but the receiver got his hand on it.  Both to blame.  That said, I am sure Manning was trying to throw it to a space no defender could get to.  Guess he didn't account for the tipped ball.   In the last 5 preseasons - not counting this year - Indy's record is 4-16.  Their regular season record for those 5 seasons is 65-15.  I hope the pats and every colt opponent thinks like Paul K, but I am sure they are not that short sighted.  That said, Indy's oline is a REAL mess.  I've been on this board ragging on the pats oline, but currently the pats oline looks like all-pros to indys.  Indy did not start 3 of last year's starting offensive line.  They started someone who I've yet to hear of (better look that guy up).  Johnson and Devan did play, but did not start.  Saturday is currently out.  There is real concern about the line and I think Manning understands that.  It appeared to me that in the passing game the colts were trying mainly short yardage stuff which wouldn't work when the dbs are pressing receivers at the line.  Addai and Brown looked pretty good running the ball (Brown dropped a pass he should have caught).  I saw some positives on the d, and Curtis Painter looked much better.  All in all, pretty much what I would expect, but I will also admit there were times that the colts looked off. 
    Posted by underdoggggg[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you what, UD. We'll trade you guys Mankins for either Freeney or Jerry Hughes? Deal? I think it is. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Wow Russ - an aging veteran might be more susceptible to injury.  You really do have talent.  I don't think ANYONE else could have connected such things and predicted such an outcome with same precision.  

Your second point really doesn't have teeth, because prior to the injuries, I would have gladly challenged that.  You make your point today in hindsight multiple injuries that you did not predict.  There is no media agenda here, just a single minded conspiracy loving pats fan.  

Manning won't talk about his contract, but Brady has.  That's one difference.  Also, you are in a larger market.  Also, the line was not worse until the injuries started piling up.  They hopefully will all be back and when they are we will be back to the colts having a better line.

The colts open in Houston. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

OK CAN WE  -JUST THIS ONCE- NOT HAVE THIS DEVOLVE INTO A RUSS/UNDERDOGGGG BACK AND FORTH? Getting old for me.
    I dont think Indy's performance means anything.  Whatever Manning is practicing, I'm sure he got it done.  For all I know, he didn't even CARE about looking good, and was just working on his pre snap gibberish and flapping.  I fully expect him to be what we have seen in the past as soon as the game is for real.  I also fully expect to beat him, but that is another story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I'll go out on a limb and say the Colts dwelling in that division will be fine for another year. Unless this really is the year Houstons gets it together....but I doubt it.

Underdogged what's the ETA on Saturday coming back? Also do you think Piere Garcon will subplant Reggie Wayne as the #2 guy to Clark? I think Reggie looked slower the last half of the season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Supplant, btw, not subplant.  Just saying.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]I'll go out on a limb and say the Colts dwelling in that division will be fine for another year. Unless this really is the year Houstons gets it together....but I doubt it. Underdogged what's the ETA on Saturday coming back? Also do you think Piere Garcon will subplant Reggie Wayne as the #2 guy to Clark? I think Reggie looked slower the last half of the season.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

TC - Saturday is a 2-6 week thing, so he could be back by the opener.  I, however, am worried about the other guys including Johnson.  The line is just for sh*t right now, and I am hopeful that Buffalo was playing all out.  If they were, then even as a makeshift group, we should be able to hold up well enough.  If not, we could be in real trouble. 

Wayne is still the #1,, but you do get a feeling he is not what he once was.  Some of this may be attributable to being the unquestioned #1 with Harrison gone and very young receivers elsewhere.  I think D's really keyed on him which is why Collie and Garcon were able to get 45 balls last year.  As long as these guys are capable, a #1 as a decoy is very effective. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE]The one thing you may be right about (and I have thought myself - only time will tell) is how big a deal the absence of Mudd is to this whole issue.  Mudd was great at finding ways to make his line effective even when it looked like a scrap heap. 

Your team will suffer losing the best sign stealer(cheater) in the business, maybe he is helping Jimmy Johnson behind the scenes to help him win at survivor. LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE] Wayne is still the #1,, but you do get a feeling he is not what he once was.  Some of this may be attributable to being the unquestioned #1 with Harrison gone and very young receivers elsewhere.  I think D's really keyed on him which is why Collie and Garcon were able to get 45 balls last year.  As long as these guys are capable, a #1 as a decoy is very effective. 

If Wayne stops getting a gift PI for 40 plus yards every game then you will really see a dropoff in points scored by the colts offense.

I like the decoy comment, Moss played all last year as a decoy because of a separted shoulder injury.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

patsr - the colts are going to need pi's if the oline doesn't gel.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Sam - I sense a little emotion from you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I thought the colts first unit looked like they had things under control against
    buffalo. Mannings pick 6 was a deflection. they moved the ball pretty well. donald Brown ran hard, Adai ran hard too. Manning as usual looked pretty good. They need to stop keeping score and keeping stats after the half in preseason.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]Sam - I sense a little emotion from you.

Three years in a row of going to Indy does that. I can't wait to get into my seat for that one.

The pitter patter of Manning shuffling his feet when nobody's open, the poorly thrown ball for a pick six, the perched helmet on top of his head, that massive red marked dent that always stays there, the finger pointing at teammates, the watching him look at still shots on the sidelines and talk on the land-line trying to explain what happened.

These are all fond memories of watching Peyton play in Foxboro my friend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Did you forget the 3 years the colts had to endure the pats in their house?

Well, I guess it wasn't really enduring.  The colts beat the pats in Foxboro in 05 and 06.  Actually, it was kind of like home for the colts.

Finger pointing?  You mean like Mr. "you fat cows" Brady?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Since being in Indy the record is 32-14 Pats
    The Playoff record is 2-1 Pats
    The Pats have three SB rings/Indy has one
    The Pats almost had a perfect record only to see the D give it away
    Indy almost had a second only to have Manning throw it away

The Pats are the better team Brady is the better QB, Boston is a way better city and I understand why your jealous. Just say the words and we'll welcome you over, why put yourself through another dispointing playoff performance later this year when you can be on the side that wins?

Indy has had a good run of late but that all stops this year my friend. Like I said, this year I get to see Indy crushed twice in Foxboro.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Sam - you've got the history, no doubt.  The colts have the recent dominance. 
    The pats are not, imo, the better team.  I don't want to come over to your side, but I will admit, I love your city.  I just wish your fans were a little less obnoxious. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Sam - you've got the history, no doubt.  The colts have the recent dominance.  The pats are not, imo, the better team.  I don't want to come over to your side, but I will admit, I love your city.  I just wish your fans were a little less obnoxious. 

If you had one football wish it would be that Tom Brady was your QB. You know it I know it we all know it. Your posts wreak of desperation. Brady has wronged you in so many ways. Your team most likely would have won back to back super bowls in 03 and 04 if not for the MVP Killer Tom Brady! I don't say these things to hurt your feelings. I say them because they are true.

Sections
Shortcuts