Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end?

In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? : TP - there are significant, serious, changes afoot that cause me a great deal of concern for the immediate future.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Do you think that Manning's neck problems may have some impact as to how the Colts approach re-signing him? Should they consider it?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end?

In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? :      Do you think that Manning's neck problems may have some impact as to how the Colts approach re-signing him? Should they consider it?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Irsay has publicly said it won't, but he has tried to spin before, so who knows.  I am sure that Irsay has consulted a number of docs regarding the severity of the problem.  If it is deemed truly to be not that big of a deal then I don't see Irsay holding him over a barrel for it.  On the other hand, if it is significant, then I think they have to consider it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

[QUOTE]     This off-season is proving to be a pain in the neck for the Colts...in more ways than one. Here's another classy Polian move: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/26/colts-director-of-pro-personnel-powers-wants-to-make-it-clear-he-was-fired/

I'm not quite sure how firing him could be considered classless (as I believe you're implying).  Seems to me that BB has fired peo[le in a much more classless manner (Adalius Thomas springs to mind).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? : Irsay has publicly said it won't, but he has tried to spin before, so who knows.  I am sure that Irsay has consulted a number of docs regarding the severity of the problem.  If it is deemed truly to be not that big of a deal then I don't see Irsay holding him over a barrel for it.  On the other hand, if it is significant, then I think they have to consider it.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

What do you think the Colts should do? Should they mortgage the farm to resign their star 35 year old QB, knowing that he has this neck problem? Or...should they try to trade him to some QB desperate team, for a king's ransom in 2012-13 draft choices...and rebuild?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? : I'm not quite sure how firing him could be considered classless (as I believe you're implying).  Seems to me that BB has fired peo[le in a much more classless manner (Adalius Thomas springs to mind).
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

I'm not implying that the Colts are classless...I'm saying it! Taking a loyal, career guy like that and unceremoniously canning him...and then lying to the press to make themselves look good...sounds pretty classless to me.

What does Adalius Thomas have to do with anything? Thomas was stealing money with his underwhelming play, and his horrid attitude. What was BB supposed to do...reward him?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

IIn Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? :      I'm not implying that the Colts are classless...I'm saying it! Taking a loyal, career guy like that and unceremoniously canning him...and then lying to the press to make themselves look good...sounds pretty classless to me.      What does Adalius Thomas have to do with anything? Thomas was stealing money with his underwhelming play, and his horrid attitude. What was BB supposed to do...reward him?

I was just trying to make the point that a personnel move isn't personal  If Chris Polian wants to install someone else in a position where someone else has been entrenched for 30 years, that's his right.  And he publically gave the man a way to bow out gracefully (an opportunity that he waived).  This seems to me to be done in the classy way.  The Adalius Thomas situation seemed to be done in a way designed to publically humiliate Adalius prior to canning him...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]What kind of deal do you think Manning should get? Factor in his age and his injury issue? I mean Brady only did a 4 year deal, do you think they give Manning a 5 or 6 year deal at age 35?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

The Colts franchised him in February, slapping an "exclusive" franchise tag designation on him. This prevents any other team from talking with him. Manning can choose to either sit out, sign with Indy, or sign a one year tender for $23mil.. 

Though it sounds like Indy is in the drivers' seat with regards to controlling Manning's destiny, they really are not. Should Manning decide to sit it out, what will happen to the Colts' 2011 season? Currently, their back-up is the forgettable Curtis Painter. His limited performances in 2009-10 caused Indy fans to yearn for the good ol' days, when Jim Sorgi carried Peyton's clipboard. 

The elephant in the room, that Colts' fans are straining not to see, is that Peyton is for Peyton, first and foremost. By sitting out, he can hold Jim Irsay hostage for any amount he wants. My guess is that he'll demand at least a 5 year, $25mil. per season deal to remain with the Colts....with 80% of the money guaranteed. 

But...what if he wants to leave? The Colts can't really trade Manning without Manning's permission. No team is going to fork over a ton of draft picks, and hope to sign him. Indy will eventually have to grant other teams permission to negotiate with Manning, and do a sign and trade.

The Colts are either going to have to pay through the nose for their aging, soon to be fading, star QB...or to trade him away to a team where he wants to play, for a somewhat discounted price.

Of the two scenarios, I'd opt for the later. The core of the Indy team is comprised of Manning, Saturday, Freeney, Mathis, Brackett, Wayne, Clark, and Addai. It's an aging, somewhat injury ravaged group of players. With the exception of Addai, the average age of this group is 32-33 years old.

Though resigning Manning for mega-dollars would likely keep the Colts relevant for another couple of years...things look bleak after that.

It's time to rebuild in Indy. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]IIn Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? : I was just trying to make the point that a personnel move isn't personal  If Chris Polian wants to install someone else in a position where someone else has been entrenched for 30 years, that's his right.  And he publically gave the man a way to bow out gracefully (an opportunity that he waived).  This seems to me to be done in the classy way.  The Adalius Thomas situation seemed to be done in a way designed to publically humiliate Adalius prior to canning him...
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]
    Let's look back at the record:  Indy executive Bill Polian once beat up a New York Jets executive because the other guy was piping in crowd noise in Giants stadium, the same cheap stunt that Bill had done previously.  These Indianapolis people believe in playing rough with guys in business suits.

Now this employee who quite frankly has helped the helped the franchise over the years with his drafting, is tossed out the door by his better.  What makes Chris Polian better?  Why, this is In-dianapolis, and In-breeding makes Chris Polian what he is.  Daddy's little boy remembers all the details of when he was way down on the food chain, and since his sudden promotion he's ready to play rough in a suit just like pops did.  Genius.  Swinging Genius.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? :      What do you think the Colts should do? Should they mortgage the farm to resign their star 35 year old QB, knowing that he has this neck problem? Or...should they try to trade him to some QB desperate team, for a king's ransom in 2012-13 draft choices...and rebuild?
    Well I don't have access to the medical advice that Irsay does, but if I take him at his word that the surgery was minor.  Then the colts need to sign him. 

Assuming its the problem was minor, Manning's got a ton of great football left in him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? :      I'm not implying that the Colts are classless...I'm saying it! Taking a loyal, career guy like that and unceremoniously canning him...and then lying to the press to make themselves look good...sounds pretty classless to me.      What does Adalius Thomas have to do with anything? Thomas was stealing money with his underwhelming play, and his horrid attitude. What was BB supposed to do...reward him?
    I'll stick my neck out here and suggest that Jules is saying you are the pot calling the kettle black.  Class is in the eyes of the beholder, and we've seen the pats demonstrate multiple classless acts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]What kind of deal do you think Manning should get? Factor in his age and his injury issue? I mean Brady only did a 4 year deal, do you think they give Manning a 5 or 6 year deal at age 35?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

I am betting the neck injury cuts the deal by a year.  So 5. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? : Let's look back at the record:  Indy executive Bill Polian once beat up a New York Jets executive because the other guy was piping in crowd noise in Giants stadium, the same cheap stunt that Bill had done previously.  These Indianapolis people believe in playing rough with guys in business suits. Now this employee who quite frankly has helped the helped the franchise over the years with his drafting, is tossed out the door by his better.  What makes Chris Polian better?  Why, this is In-dianapolis, and In-breeding makes Chris Polian what he is.  Daddy's little boy remembers all the details of when he was way down on the food chain, and since his sudden promotion he's ready to play rough in a suit just like pops did.  Genius.  Swinging Genius.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

color me surprised that Paul will say just about anything.  Paul research your story before spouting. 

Oh, forget it.  I know you won't so I am just wasting time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? : I'll stick my neck out here and suggest that Jules is saying you are the pot calling the kettle black.  Class is in the eyes of the beholder, and we've seen the pats demonstrate multiple classless acts.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Why can't you and Jules simply acknowledge that this was a classless act by the Colts?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Why should we?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Why should we?
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

True. You Indy trolls never acknowledge the truth. So, why start now?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

tas - I didn't say that TP didn't have a point.  I agree that it puts the colts in a spot.  That said, I believe Irsay has likely consulted with a number of experts to gain an understanding of what it means.  Finally, Manning's 4 MVP's and 2 SB's have earned him an opportunity to play again for the colts.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? : mrs manning 9 giselle 6
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Gisele 45 (mil.) Mrs. Manning 0....and it's been that lopsided for the past decade. There's something about Gisele that makes the wealthy of the wealthy pay her more than twice what Tom makes. Gotta factor that into the equation, Jints...LOL!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]tas - I didn't say that TP didn't have a point.  I agree that it puts the colts in a spot.  That said, I believe Irsay has likely consulted with a number of experts to gain an understanding of what it means.  Finally, Manning's 4 MVP's and 2 SB's have earned him an opportunity to play again for the colts.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

When did he win his 2nd Super Bowl??? You mean 1 super bowl

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colts' Manning undergoes 2nd neck surgery Since Feb 2010. Beginning of the end? :      Why can't you and Jules simply acknowledge that this was a classless act by the Colts?

Lol!  The attitude around here: we're fine with cheating, but firing a front office employee is classless.  And you call us Colt fans "spinners".