Colts/Patriots Pre-Game, Game, and Post-Game Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Colts/Patriots Pre-Game, Game, and Post-Game Thread

New England Patriots realpatriots 5 Questionable Colts downgraded to OUT: Addai, Brackett, Hart, Session & Tryon join Sanders as early inactives for Colts' clash w/Pats

Addai & Brackett among Colts downgraded

November, 20, 2010
    By Mike Reiss
    The Colts announced Saturday night that running back Joseph Addai (neck) and linebacker Gary Brackett (toe) are among five players who have been downgraded to out for tomorrow's game against the Patriots.

Donald Brown, the 2009 first-round draft choice from UConn, is atop the depth chart at running back. Rookie Pat Angerer has been Brackett's replacement at middle linebacker.

In addition to Addai and Brackett, running back Mike Hart (ankle), linebacker Clint Session (elbow) and defensive back Justin Tryon (foot) were downgraded.

Receiver Austin Collie, who missed last Sunday's win with a concussion, was not among those downgraded. He had been listed as questionable on the Colts' injury report.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Colts/Patriots Pre-Game Thread

Adam Schefter Adam_Schefter RT @ItsJustMovies: What is the current word on Austin Collie? ... Unlike ruled-out players, at least he made the trip, so he's in play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

38-17 Patriots.  The defense twists and stunts its way into at least 3 Manning plantings.  At least one pick.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Everybody's favorite announcers tomorrow......Jim Nantz and Phil Simms

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

49-10

Staying true to my word.  BB is the greatest coach of all-time.  Brady is the greatest QB of all time.  Welker will have 16 catches.  Woodhead will run for 100 yards.  Manning will get picked 4 times.  Indy will just get crushed.

Anyone who disagrees is a troll.
    Anyone who thinks it will be a close game is a troll.

Pats #1 forever!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ColtsPacersFan1. Show ColtsPacersFan1's posts

* nation... look forward to seeing the pi**ing & moaning after the game tommorow from you all.

18 is going to give that secondary nightmares for the next week.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Colts/Patriots Pre-Game Thread:
    * nation... look forward to seeing the pi**ing & moaning after the game tommorow from you all. 18 is going to give that secondary nightmares for the next week.
    Posted by ColtsPacersFan1

Hahaha...good one!! Glad to see even Colts fans have a sense of humor! Priceless. I shouldn't be surprised, I laughed my butt off at Payton during Saturday Night Live and....all the times he had monumental collapses against us:)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

This will be one of, if not the, toughest test the Pats secondary has faced so far. It;s all well and good to talk smack and say how much Peyton s--ks, but he;s better than Rapistburger or Sanchise or anyone we have faced this year. We still win, but I don't think it will be a blowout and the game will be decided in the 4th quarter. 24-20 Pats.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

Game is gonna be a good 1 we can count on that.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

good lord above i hate the patriots.  classless organization i hope even without some of our top flight players we come into foxboro destroy your organization.  i want the * nation to be in tears after tommorows game.

Not likely

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

a pre-game thread started a day ago.  Must be colts v pats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

good lord above i hate the patriots.  classless organization i hope even without some of our top flight players we come into foxboro destroy your organization.  i want the * nation to be in tears after tommorows game.

Let's see:
    -  Colts troll hating the Pats?  Check
    -  Colts troll dissing our organization?  Check
    -  Colts troll prognosticating a win for the Colts?  Check
    -  Colts troll wanting Pats fans to be in tears after the game?  Check

Colts troll that won't be within a million miles of this site if the Colts lose?  Check.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Colts/Patriots Pre-Game Thread : Not likely
    Posted by pezz4pats

bawahah

Here is what a Colts tailgate looks like:

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Reiss By Mike Reiss
    ESPNBoston.com

Here are 10 top areas to monitor in Sunday's game between the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts at Gillette Stadium (4:15 p.m. ET):

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5830100

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

www.indystar.com/section/SPORTS03/
    Indianapolis Star beat writer Phillip Wilson, who has seen his fair share of Colts-Patriots matchups:

1. In your opinion, which weapons do you think Peyton Manning will get back for Sunday's game and will they be able to just pick up where they left off?

PW: WR Blair White seems a certainty. He's been a full participant after missing last week's game with a shoulder injury. It could be important because the undrafted rookie typically catches what Peyton Manning throws to him. The same can't be said for Pierre Garcon, who has been inconsistent at best, maddening in terms of drops and often times being invisible. The Colts need more out of him, but if he is falling out of Manning's so-called circle of trust, and who could blame No. 18, then White could be a key player. We don't know about WR Austin Collie. He is obviously more important than White, but Collie has to be cleared by an independent doc to play. He practiced full Thursday. Coach Jim Caldwell said he looked good as usual, raising hopes he could play. If Collie and White are back, this offense won't resemble the struggling unit it has been in the second half of the last two games.

2. Who is the one Colts player most Patriots fans don't know right now, but will by the end of the game on Sunday?

PW: Probably either WR Blair White or MLB Pat Angerer. White caught a TD pass in his NFL debut. He's like Collie in that he won't blow guys away with his speed, sneaky fast, but has a knack for getting open. A real hard worker. Same, too, with Angerer, the rookie linebacker, who had 11 tackles and a sack at Washington in his first NFL debut, subbing for Gary Brackett. Angerer, a second-round pick out of Iowa, forced the Colts to reconsider and reshuffle their LB trio. He had to be on the field. He is still learning as a rookie, but the speed and nasty nature for taking on opponents is obvious.

3. What's the biggest weakness on the Colts' offense you expect the Patriots to try to exploit?

PW: They are, as always, too one-dimensional toward the pass. Teams don't typically succeed pressuring Manning with blitzes, but most don't worry too much about the run, either. If RBs Joseph Addai and Mike Hart are out, and there's a good chance they will be, the Colts don't run the ball very well. They often struggle in short yardage. Manning takes it upon himself, and why wouldn't he, to try to make the throws to keep the drives moving. The Patriots and Bill Belichick know him well. There's been times when they have absolutely befuddled him, then other times like last year's 35-34 comeback when New England has been powerless to even slow him down. If the Patriots can get pressure on Manning, as they did in previous playoff victories, he'll have to resort to quick check-down throws, bubble screens, stuff that requires YAC to get first downs. It keeps that passing game somewhat predictable, and inside of a shorter box as opposed to spreading the field.

4. What's the biggest weakness on the Colts' defense you expect the Patriots to try to exploit?

PW: The Colts' run defense has been lit up in three road losses for 257 yards at Houston, 174 at Jacksonville and 195 at Philadelphia. While the Patriots might not put up gaudy numbers overall, I see a lot of the Colts in their rushing game. If not a little more, the Patriots can run for yardage and keep defenses honest, but against a team which struggles against the run and worried about Tom Brady, the opportunity should be there to pound away on the visitors at opportune times. Brady has faced these speed guys enough to know he will have his shots down the field, but he doesn't have to do it all. When the look is there, run it on these guys and it should be effective.

5. Finally, Colts win on Sunday if....

PW: If the Patriots' young secondary doesn't hold up against Manning's WRs, especially if Collie is back, and there isn't enough pressure. But, also, if Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis get to Brady on a consistent basis and limit how much time he has to throw. These Pro Bowl pass rushers don't have to get sacks to influence a game. They speed up every QB, especially passers who like to take deeper dropbacks. If the Colts get to Brady enough, they have a chance. If not, the Patriots should prevail.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats

November, 21, 2010
    By Mike Reiss
    Quick-hit thoughts around the NFL and with the Patriots:

1. Because I enjoyed it so much, I watched "Bill Parcells: Reflections of a Life in Football" twice on Friday night. One part that stood out to me from the segment of Parcells' tenure with the Patriots was his acknowledgement that he could have been more patient with Robert Kraft, who was in his early years of ownership and still learning the ropes. Parcells apologized for that.

2. Highlighting the importance of turnover differential, the top teams in that stat this year are currently Philadelphia, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, New England, N.Y. Jets and Green Bay. Combined record: 38-18.

3. The Patriots' nine turnovers are tied for the second fewest in the NFL, and one of them came on a Hail Mary at the end of regulation against the Ravens.

4. I'd be surprised if Patriots starting right guard Stephen Neal (shoulder) plays today against the Colts, which would mean a second straight game of Dan Connolly at that spot. Connolly is a good choice for the team's 12th Player Award, given to the player who exceeds expectations.

5. The Matt Ryan-led Falcons visit the Sam Bradford-led Rams today in a game that highlights how teams hitting on quarterbacks early in the draft -- and managing them well -- can turn things around quickly.

6. The Chicago Bears, at 7-3, are the team that has surprised me most this year. I had doubts that Lovie Smith would still be the head coach when the Patriots visited Soldier Field on Dec. 12, but now that game looks like one of the best on the NFL schedule that week.

7. The Raiders are another surprise team at 5-4, even though they are the league's most penalized club with an average of 10.1 accepted penalties for game. The Falcons are on the opposite end of the spectrum, being flagged for an average of 3.8 accepted penalties per game, fewest in the NFL.

8. As for a most disappointing team, my choice is the Cincinnati Bengals, losers of six in a row. When they visited the Patriots in the season opener, some were calling them a Super Bowl contender.

9. With Thanksgiving football scheduled for Thursday, some might ask the question, "Why should the Lions (2-7) and Cowboys (2-7) always get to host Thanksgiving games?" I personally like the tradition.

10. Colts receiver Reggie Wayne hurt the Patriots badly last season (10 catches, 126 yards, 2 TDs). It is often said that Bill Belichick tries to take away an opponent's biggest strength, and that's why I expect Randy Moss-type attention being paid to Wayne today. Some media members might have a tendency to overlook Wayne because he keeps a lower profile compared to other top receivers, but the Patriots -- based on what players said this week -- view him in a Moss-type category.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

I think ColtsPacerFan1 and BBReigns are the same person.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian R. Rapoport RapSheet NFL Network shows the Patriots have gone on fourth down more than anyone since 2006, converting 68.8 percent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think ColtsPacerFan1 and BBReigns are the same person.
    Posted by MarcW1

I think you'd be wrong.  No offense, meh...nevermind.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

SunnyFoxboro, MA today......  
    Mostly Sunny
    38°
    High

Chance of Precip:
    10%

Wind:
    NE at 9 mph

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Michael Lombardi michaelombardi Cold one here in Foxboro will get colder as the sun goes down. Expecting WR Austin Collie to play for the Colts but will need to workout 1st

Rachel Nichols Rachel__Nichols That he made the trip indicates he'll play. Was just waiting to be cleared by an independent neurologist. RT @MattyK84 Any news on Collie

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

* nation... look forward to seeing the pi**ing & moaning after the game tommorow from you all. 18 is going to give that secondary nightmares for the next week.

Thanks.

That means we won't see you again, since mouthy, classless trolls never show their faces again after their teams get whipped.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/11/21/two-old-school-quarterbacks-weigh-in-on-manning-vs-brady/

Here are some NYers point of view on the Manning vs Brady

So much of the attention this week has been on the quarterbacks. That old debate — Manning vs. Brady.

In preparation for the game, two old-school quarterbacks weighed in on the question of who will prevail, as well as several other facets of the rivalry. First, we have CBS analyst Phil Simms, and then it’s SIRIUS’ Joe Namath, who does “The Broadway Blitz with Joe Namath.

Want some highlights?

Simms, on the rivalry:There is no doubt that it is personal between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. I was never as successful as either one of them, but even with my limited success I made it personal with many guys I played against. I know others did against me. That is part of the fun.”

Simms, on the game in general:There is no question the game this year is being looked at differently than it has in many, many years. I don’t think we can say for sure that they are two of the elite teams in the league like they have been for so long. They are two teams dealing with many issues and trying to win a few games and correct those issues as time goes on. It hasn’t turned into a race yet, but it’s getting close. The season is getting to the point now where it is time to start getting nervous. This might be the first time I have seen Peyton Manning play without a tremendous supporting cast. I was taught that you have to be able to drive the Cadillac and the rental car. He has proven he can drive them all.

Simms, on the Patriots’ turnaround:I don’t think I will ever again say that a team is not good enough to turn it around the following year. The Patriots have turned it around with their offense, and a big part of their team, basically overnight. They are playing a little different style and, of course, have done a tremendous job with it. Because of that, they are 7-2. A player pointed out to me that it is all wonderful, said and done, but the big thing is they are doing it with Tom Brady, so don’t think it’s such a miracle. It’s a good point. The owner, the general manager, the head coach and the quarterback still remain the same, so it is easy to make these transitions when you have that kind of stability at the top.

Namath, breaking down the differences between the two:Well, first of all, they’re both gifted with their size and their passing abilities. They’re both very accurate passers and they’re both tremendous leaders. They work as hard or harder than most of the guys. They’ve won the confidence of their teammates certainly with what they do on the field. But they are such great head players. They are mature, smart and such competitors. You know, those guys never leave the game unless they have to be carried off it seems, Manning and Brady both. Those guys have been so sensational with their toughness and durability as well.”

Namath, on who is the best: “I once said that Peyton Manning’s the best quarterback I’ve ever seen. And Tom Brady just continues to say, ‘Well, Joe, what about me?’ And I say, ‘Well, you know what? You’re right! You’ve done everything so good. (laughs) So, there’s more than one quarterback, the best that I’ve ever seen play. He’s right up there. You know what separates those two guys? The team. The rest of the team, you see, because it is a team game. Peyton’s not got a full deck this week. He’s not playing with a full deck because of the injury factor. I think that Colt team is beat up more than New England and that’s why I have to give New England the edge in this one.

Namath, offering his view on who has the edge:Coming off last week’s game that darn New England defense seemed to have improved pretty darn well, improved big time. And that’s been the big question mark, that young defense that the New England Patriots have. Well, Manning normally would be able to exploit most of those things but right now Peyton’s dealing with a couple of receivers who aren’t his regular receivers and he’s not playing with all the cards. He doesn’t have his players together. We’re asking second-stringers to step up and play like the first-stringers and that gives the edge to New England.”

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Beautiful Day for football!!!!  (press box----Mike Reiss)

View from the press box at Gillette Stadium as Patriots host the Colts today (4:15 p.m.)

Sections
Shortcuts