colts/saints being undefeated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

colts/saints being undefeated

which team will feel the pressure the most as they move on?which team will choke first between now and the superbowl?I would have to think the saints will choke sometime in the playoffs,for they are already commenting on it,and acknowledging the possibility of it being great for them.once it weighs on the teams minds,it takes away from the real prize.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: colts/saints being undefeated

Here's the dirty on the Saints:  With 10 minutes to go it was an 11 point game, then the Saints got comfortable with a TD.  Not bad, but that was at home against the Detroit Lions, who I feel is the second-worst team in the NFL.  Then with two minutes to go in another game, their opponent drove halfway down the field toward a winning touchdown against the Saints, but fell short.  That was the St. Louis Rams, who I feel is the worst team in the NFL. 

We'll ignore the Colts' 14-12 win at home against 7-6 Jacksonville because it was a while ago, and they completely blew out St. Louis like a good team should do. But then there was a 4 point home victory against San Francisco, a 3 point victory against Houston, also at home, and a 2 point victory against Baltimore on the road. The Colts seem to live dangerously at home against middle-of-the-pack teams. 

These teams don't compare well to the 16-0 Patriots of 2007.  Remember?  38-14, 38-14 a second time, 38-7, 34-13, 34-17, 48-27, 49-28, 52-7, 24-20, 56-10, 31-28, 27-24, 34-13, 20-10, 28-7 and 38-35.  The first eight games were all pancake scores.  The hallmark of the 07 Patriots is that they tended to pancake both the middle-of-the-road teams and the terrible teams.  The so-so teams usually didn't get to hang around.

I'm not saying that either 2009 team can't pull off the last three victories.  They might.  But both teams need crossed fingers because they're both playing average teams that can threaten to beat them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

It looks like they are both going to go 16-0... If they lose it wont be because of pressure, just look at how they hardly make the news compared to the 2007 Pats (Colts/Saints games don't make Prime Time and the National media hardly covers their games).  2007 was Patriots and nothing else... absolutely nothing else.  Never in the course of sports history have you seen a more hated team on a national scale, broadcasters were calling for Brady to be injured (Young, Wilbon, Schlereth), former players were coming forward with horror stories of rule infractions (Tucker) or player abuse (Johnson's concussions) and Spygate was the biggest sports story in history until Tiger was found sleeping with every skank west of the Mississippi.  I've never witnessed such a contrived mass of frothing sports reporters in my lifetime. 

Looking back, all the Patriots did was show the world how bad the rest of the league was, paving the way for future undefeated teams.  Compared to what the Patriots dealt with (six prime time games?) Colts/Saints are barely a page six story and everyone knows it.  If I'm wrong, could someone please, please tell me where the heck Mercury Morris is?  We got to hear from him every day in 2007, where is he now?

I see both teams cruising to the Playoffs and a couple great games between the Vikings/Saints and Colts/Chargers, possibly the best games of the year (Colts/Pats would be better, and it might happen).  Vikings/Saints should be an insane game, Colts/Pats would be painful, just waiting for Manning to get the penatly calls in the 4th to get another "great, historic victory".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: colts/saints being undefeated:
    [QUOTE]Here's the dirty on the Saints:  With 10 minutes to go it was an 11 point game, then the Saints got comfortable with a TD.  Not bad, but that was at home against the Detroit Lions, who I feel is the second-worst team in the NFL.  Then with two minutes to go in another game, their opponent drove halfway down the field toward a winning touchdown against the Saints, but fell short.  That was the St. Louis Rams, who I feel is the worst team in the NFL.  We'll ignore the Colts' 14-12 win at home against 7-6 Jacksonville because it was a while ago, and they completely blew out St. Louis like a good team should do. But then there was a 4 point home victory against San Francisco, a 3 point victory against Houston, also at home, and a 2 point victory against Baltimore on the road. The Colts seem to live dangerously at home against middle-of-the-pack teams.  These teams don't compare well to the 16-0 Patriots of 2007.  Remember?  38-14, 38-14 a second time, 38-7, 34-13, 34-17, 48-27, 49-28, 52-7, 24-20, 56-10, 31-28, 27-24, 34-13, 20-10, 28-7 and 38-35.  The first eight games were all pancake scores.  The hallmark of the 07 Patriots is that they tended to pancake both the middle-of-the-road teams and the terrible teams.  The so-so teams usually didn't get to hang around. I'm not saying that either 2009 team can't pull off the last three victories.  They might.  But both teams need crossed fingers because they're both playing average teams that can threaten to beat them.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

You forgot that the Pats in 2007 didn't have the refs helping them unlike another current undefeated team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]Here's the dirty on the Saints:  With 10 minutes to go it was an 11 point game, then the Saints got comfortable with a TD.  Not bad, but that was at home against the Detroit Lions, who I feel is the second-worst team in the NFL.  Then with two minutes to go in another game, their opponent drove halfway down the field toward a winning touchdown against the Saints, but fell short.  That was the St. Louis Rams, who I feel is the worst team in the NFL.  We'll ignore the Colts' 14-12 win at home against 7-6 Jacksonville because it was a while ago, and they completely blew out St. Louis like a good team should do. But then there was a 4 point home victory against San Francisco, a 3 point victory against Houston, also at home, and a 2 point victory against Baltimore on the road. The Colts seem to live dangerously at home against middle-of-the-pack teams.  These teams don't compare well to the 16-0 Patriots of 2007.  Remember?  38-14, 38-14 a second time, 38-7, 34-13, 34-17, 48-27, 49-28, 52-7, 24-20, 56-10, 31-28, 27-24, 34-13, 20-10, 28-7 and 38-35.  The first eight games were all pancake scores.  The hallmark of the 07 Patriots is that they tended to pancake both the middle-of-the-road teams and the terrible teams.  The so-so teams usually didn't get to hang around. I'm not saying that either 2009 team can't pull off the last three victories.  They might.  But both teams need crossed fingers because they're both playing average teams that can threaten to beat them.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
    It could be done by either team.  I looked at the Saints schedule and I thought man,  this team hasn't had to play in inclement weather or outdoors for most of the season.  Eight games at home under a dome.  @ Phil and Buf in Sept. @ Mia in Oct. @ STL (dome)  @Tampa @Was @Atl (dome) @Car.  The only outdoor games left in possible cold or inclement weather is Was and Car.  Just an observation.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: colts/saints being undefeated : You forgot that the Pats in 2007 didn't have the refs helping them unlike another current undefeated team.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

Exactly. 

In the Saints game this past sunday in the 4th quarter the Saints were up 16-9 facing a 3rd down and 11.  Brees threw a pick and they got bailed out by a BS pass interference call (even the announcers said it wasn't a good call), which led to a TD after they backed up 15 yards.  Take away that TD and the Falcons actually take a 23-16 lead.  Saints looked terrible against a team missing one starting CB, a starting QB and their started HB.  Another TERRIBLE PI was called that aided a Saints FG drive (instead of making them punt, yet again). 

They were given the game in OT against the 'Skins - a game in which the Skins had gone up and down the field on them at will.  So much for that "vaunted" defense. 

To be honest, if the Vikings play like they have most of the season (all but 2 games) they will beat them.  If the Cards play like they're capable of, then they should win as well to be honest.  The top 3 teams in the NFC are built for domes. 
    1 burning question that i've been wondering - What happens in the Saints make it to the SB in Miami?! It's always seems to rain at least once a day down there (it rained pretty much the whole game when the Indy blowholes won it all); how will they cope with the rain?  Their running game will have to carry them and I don't think it will.  The rain and wet field will slow their WR's down and since Brees is much smaller than most QB's, I don't know how he'd do with a soaking wet football.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Jason - FYI - Root wasn't talking about the Saints.  Ever since the pats colts game he's made it his personal mission to ensure that any comments made by others about the Colts success to date has little or nothing to do with the colts themselves but is mostly or entirely attributable to the refs.  

Just wanted to help you board his bandwagon.  There's plenty of room.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I know what team he was talking about, but I just wanted to give my input about the Aint's. 

In my honest opinion - the Saints are the least deserving of this "undefeated" talk.  Their schedule is MUCH easier than the Colts and they played 10 games indoors this year with no inclement weather games.  All the tough games were at their dome, not on the road.  I would've loved to have seen them go TO NYG, NYJ, Foxboro, Dallas.  They went to Philly and Buffalo early in the year, so they didn't have to deal with bad weather.  BS if you ask me.

Pats had to deal with crazy winds and some snow flurries on the road AT Baltimore, increased heat in the dome in Indy, typical Foxboro cold, swirling winds at the meadlowlands against the Giants, etc etc.  They had quite a bit of games in the cold and the wind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Thank goodness for domes

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

You have to admit, two undefeated teams facing each other in the Super Bowl would be an NFL, Television Network, Income Producing spectacle like no other ever witnessed by mankind.  Did I mention conspiracy theory?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

[QUOTE]You have to admit, two undefeated teams facing each other in the Super Bowl would be an NFL, Television Network, Income Producing spectacle like no other ever witnessed by mankind.  Did I mention conspiracy theory?
    Posted by southernpat[/QUOTE]...you don't have to. All it is around here is whine whine whine. Excuses, excuses, excuses. If they (the Colts) make it undefeated, any of you that say you don't care, you are lying. But since Polian, Goodell and every other person in the league and world hates the oh-so mighty Patriots, it's a paranoia party around here

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: colts/saints being undefeated : You forgot that the Pats in 2007 didn't have the refs helping them unlike another current undefeated team.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]
    Amen to that. I don't watch ESPN anymore so, has Mercury Morris or Don Shula been interviewed yet about the current undefeated teams? Is ESPN showing as "much love" to the Saints or the Colts as they did to the '07 Pats?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Both these teams should have already lost. They've both been the recipient of some timely PI calls that kept it alive for them. They've both been losing late in the 4th and with the help of those calls squeaked by to get the W so I guess that's all that matters.
    Neither one is close to what the Pats did in 2007, they went undefeated because they were that much better, they didn't have to struggle through games like both of these teams.
    NO has Dallas and Tampa at home and closes with Carolina. If they beat Dallas I would think they run it out.
    Indy's on the road at Jac, home for the Jets and on the road again at Buf. I think all three of these games could be a problem. If they decide to sit and rest guys the Jags could run it down their throat all day. I don't see the Jets winning with no QB but you can't lay down on them and playing in Buffalo could be a problem with weather. If I was Caldwell I'd be getting my team ready for the playoffs and if you go undefeated great but having everybody healthy would be way more important.

I'd say NO has the better chance 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]It looks like they are both going to go 16-0... If they lose it wont be because of pressure, just look at how they hardly make the news compared to the 2007 Pats (Colts/Saints games don't make Prime Time and the National media hardly covers their games).  2007 was Patriots and nothing else... absolutely nothing else.  Never in the course of sports history have you seen a more hated team on a national scale, broadcasters were calling for Brady to be injured (Young, Wilbon, Schlereth), former players were coming forward with horror stories of rule infractions (Tucker) or player abuse (Johnson's concussions) and Spygate was the biggest sports story in history until Tiger was found sleeping with every skank west of the Mississippi.  I've never witnessed such a contrived mass of frothing sports reporters in my lifetime.  Looking back, all the Patriots did was show the world how bad the rest of the league was, paving the way for future undefeated teams.  Compared to what the Patriots dealt with (six prime time games?) Colts/Saints are barely a page six story and everyone knows it.  If I'm wrong, could someone please, please tell me where the heck Mercury Morris is?  We got to hear from him every day in 2007, where is he now? I see both teams cruising to the Playoffs and a couple great games between the Vikings/Saints and Colts/Chargers, possibly the best games of the year (Colts/Pats would be better, and it might happen).  Vikings/Saints should be an insane game, Colts/Pats would be painful, just waiting for Manning to get the penatly calls in the 4th to get another "great, historic victory".
    Posted by fuzzy1[/QUOTE] These 2 teams don't come close to the Pats. Every game down the stretch the Pats were favored by 24 pts. The Saints go up against the Falcons with No Ryan or Turner favored by only 10 points. What a joke there is no fear with playing either of these teams in the Playoffs. I love the Pats but right now see a Chargers vs Vikings Super Bowl

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Sam, I agree with you and not because Indy might rest its players. 

Indy's next 2 games are against teams in the playoff hunt and in buff for the last game will be cold and hard. 

On the other hand, like you said, if NO beats Dallas at home, the rest should be elementary.  NO goes into the post season undefeated.  Indy will not, and not because they rest their players, but because they get beaten by a team with talent and more to play for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

I don't think either team will win the SB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Year to date strength of schedule:

Pats: #1.  Mostly because they have played both the Colts and Saints
    Colts: #5.  Colts play in a competitive division. 
    Saints: #17. Not tough but not easy.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

Remaining games:
    Colts: @ Jags, Jets, @ Buffalo
    Saints: Dallas, Tampa, @ Carolina.

If the Colts don't rest Manning, I can see both teams being 16-0.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

[QUOTE]Both these teams should have already lost. They've both been the recipient of some timely PI calls that kept it alive for them. They've both been losing late in the 4th and with the help of those calls squeaked by to get the W so I guess that's all that matters. Neither one is close to what the Pats did in 2007, they went undefeated because they were that much better, they didn't have to struggle through games like both of these teams. NO has Dallas and Tampa at home and closes with Carolina. If they beat Dallas I would think they run it out. Indy's on the road at Jac, home for the Jets and on the road again at Buf.  I think all three of these games could be a problem. If they decide to sit and rest guys the Jags could run it down their throat all day. I don't see the Jets winning with no QB but you can't lay down on them and playing in Buffalo could be a problem with weather. If I was Caldwell I'd be getting my team ready for the playoffs and if you go undefeated great but having everybody healthy would be way more important. I'd say NO has the better chance 
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Sam, it's hard to predict the jets, but the way I see it is that the Indy game will be their second superbowl of the season.  They would love a shot at killing an undefeated season and have their name associated with it..... So I think Rex will put in a good defensive effort..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]You have to admit, two undefeated teams facing each other in the Super Bowl would be an NFL, Television Network, Income Producing spectacle like no other ever witnessed by mankind.  Did I mention conspiracy theory?
    Posted by southernpat[/QUOTE]

I think you are wrong about that. I just don't see fans interested in the Saints and Colts in a SB undefeated or not. Neither is a big market team. Yes NO and Indy will watch butfringe fans won't care.
    However you have NE, Philly, GB, Dallas, NYG, Bears, Steelers even NYJ and then you have fans watching.
    Does anyone in NY, Boston, LA or Chicago care if Indy, SD, NO, Cinn, Minn Az or Broncos make it NO they don't.

I just don't see it as a big draw outside of NO and Indy.
    Not like NYG and Pats were

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

If we could take it back, how important is going undefeated versus winning the SB?

The 2007 Pats got truly beat up in their remaining games to remain undefeated.  True, each team goes into a game to win, but, at all costs?  Especially when there is nothing else on the line?  What if the O-line were healthier,  as would have Brady during the playoffs?  Hindsight being 20/20, the Pats should have let the Giants win and the rest may have been a different history.  A loss in the 16th game to a team that was 10 - 5, in their home stadium, would not have been embarrassing.  Not as embarrassing as being beaten by that same team in the SB after putting 38 points on them in that last game.  All in all, I believe both the Saints and Colts will take a win if it is in the cards, but, they won't play everyone to the end just for the sake of pulling out a close game.  There is nothing to gain as history remembers the SB winner regardless of record!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

As a Colt fan, I have to admit this is a fair assessment.  The Pats were definitely more dominant in 2007 than the Colts have been this year.  Still, in the second half of 2007 the Pats were hardly dominant.  I would say that three teams definitely outplayed the Pats in the second half of the year: the Colts, the Eagles, and the Giants.  In addition, the Raven game required a TD with less than a minute left to take the lead.  But your point is valid: the only middle of the pack team to seriously threaten the Pats was Philly, who really wasn't very good that year. 

I personally don't think the Colts will finish undefeated this year, but they might.  It's not very important to them now that they've wrapped up home field advantage.  I believe that Manning and other starters will continue to play as long as the outcome is in question.  However, anyone with a slight injury will likely be held out (even if they would play in a meaningful game).  And if they lose soon (like tomorrow night), they'll probably start playing Manning, Wayne, Freeney, etc. no more than a half...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: colts/saints being undefeated : These 2 teams don't come close to the Pats. Every game down the stretch the Pats were favored by 24 pts. The Saints go up against the Falcons with No Ryan or Turner favored by only 10 points. What a joke there is no fear with playing either of these teams in the Playoffs. I love the Pats but right now see a Chargers vs Vikings Super Bowl
    Posted by patriots44[/QUOTE]

Chargers/Vikings would be another great matchup... Petersons 300 yard game against the Chargers was one of the greatest games in history.  I think that's the last time they played. 

This has the potential to be the greatest playoffs in decades (since the 90's Redskins/Cowboys/49ers/Bills/Giants run).  Potential games are Vikings/Saints (in NO), Patriots/Colts (in Indy), Chargers/Colts (in Indy) Chargers/Patriots (in San Diego), Chargers/Vikings (forementioned Peterson), NO/Indy (SB).  Wow.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Jules, interesting reply to Paul_K.....

The Pats in 2007 had a significantly tougher schedule than both the Colts and Saints faced this year.  Back then, there weren't too many times one thought the Pats could be beaten.  Makes you wonder how these two teams would have fared then?  Either way, winning em all is a great accomplishment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vapatfan1. Show vapatfan1's posts

Wouldn't it be interesting if both both teams meet in the SB undefeated.  What a perfect scenario to see who will lose the first game of their respective seasons and that game having to be the SB.   

No pressure of course...

Wouldn't it be equally satisfying to see both teams go 16-0 and neither end up in the SB. 

It's much more fun watching this from an impartial position of a non-fan of these teams.  The more they win the more crushing the first defeat will be.  We all know that feeling don't we? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

[QUOTE]Jules, interesting reply to Paul_K..... The Pats in 2007 had a significantly tougher schedule than both the Colts and Saints faced this year.  Back then, there weren't too many times one thought the Pats could be beaten.  Makes you wonder how these two teams would have fared then?  Either way, winning em all is a great accomplishment.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.  Just tried to do a search to determine the final strength of schedule for 2007.  It was kind of tough b/c there are a lot of pre-season results, but nothing that shows what the final strength numbers are.  The only one I found seems to show that the Colts had the 17th hardest schedule that year and the Pats had the 19th.  Here's the link...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl07.htm

This year, it seems the Pats have the hardest schedule in the NFL and the Colts have the 5th.  Here's the link:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

How to compare the Pats' 2007 to the Colts' 2009? I have no idea, but the preliminary results suggest the Colts have a tougher schedule this year than the Pats had in 2007...