Colts staff retires

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Colts staff retires

Wow! Moore, Mudd and Anile all out through retirement or staff reductions.....it is a changing of the guard for the Colts, and it has to affect the team.

I wonder if Scarnecchia considered retirement because of the NFL pension changes?  I heard Marv Levy drank a few more pints of blood, farted some dust, then signed an extension.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Re: Colts staff retires

[QUOTE]Wow! Moore, Mudd and Anile all out through retirement or staff reductions.....it is a changing of the guard for the Colts, and it has to affect the team. I wonder if Scarnecchia considered retirement because of the NFL pension changes?  I heard Marv Levy drank a few more pints of blood, farted some dust, then signed an extension.
    Posted by krismk[/QUOTE]

Losing Mudd and Moore are huge for the Colts..and not in a good way. Add Dungy to the mix and you can't be feeling too good in Indy right now. Proven players..unproven coaches.

Of course, the Pats lost their OC so they have their own problems. I'm not a fan of Belichick or some hidden guy running the offense.

Even though both teams have veteran QB's it is not enough in my opinion. The NFL is still a coaches league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The advantage both teams have is their coaching depth. They simply promote from within, and the next guy steps up. Both guys stepping into Moore and Mudd's spots have been there for years. Not to say it won't hurt some (even NE hasn't won it all since Weis and Crennell left). But I think the biggest loss is Dungy. However good these guys may be, they still need someone who can put it all together. We'll see how well they trained Caldwell. I won't go so far as to think they'll miss the playoffs (although that would be nice), but the offense will certainly go through some growing pains. At least Manning will have a new excuse to use when he chokes late in the season!!!

"Well, we had some coaching problems..." after he throws three picks in a Wild Card loss!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "At least Manning will have a new excuse to use when he chokes late in the season!!!"" --

Cue underdogg with 7,000 reasons why nothing even marginally unacceptable is ever Peyton Manning's fault under any circumstances on this, or any other, planet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

seems pats fans have the same problem with brady.  The greatest team ever assembled, the best QB, yet has failed to seal the deal on an undefeated season.  Tsk Tsk.   

Anyway - the losses with the colts are big and while the pats have lost coaches, they have not seen an exodus like this all at once.   -  hc, oc, dc, st, ol. 

I feel like we will be ok, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

It's true the Colts losses this offseason have been heavier than any other team has ever had (save for complete staff changes, and that usually happens to teams who are in the cellar). But the guys stepping into these jobs have a lot of tenure. Much like NE has done, they've covered themselves from disaster. I think we'll need to see how Caldwell ties it all together. Having players like Manning, Wayne, and Freeney also helps. They will be a huge help to the new coaches. I think maybe losing Harrison may be as much of a burden on Manning as losing Moore. Those two were on the same page much like Brady and Weis were. And other than the Denver game in the 05 playoffs, the offense hasn't lost many games for the team. The defense has been where the problem is. We'll see if the Colts will be able to say the same. The big test is how well they execute in January. That's usually where coaching errors hurt a team the worst.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Colts are not the same team as in the Past, Marvin Harrison in his prime was a big reason for the Colts and Peyton's success.  I don't see the Colts contending for a Superbowl title anytime soon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]seems pats fans have the same problem with brady.  The greatest team ever assembled, the best QB, yet has failed to seal the deal on an undefeated season.  Tsk Tsk.    Anyway - the losses with the colts are big and while the pats have lost coaches, they have not seen an exodus like this all at once.   -  hc, oc, dc, st, ol.  I feel like we will be ok, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Apparently you did not watch that Super Bowl.  No doubt Brady could have played better, as could the rest of the team, but he did put the Patriots ahead 14-10 with about 2:40 left, throwing a touchdown pass to Moss. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Shhh,

bub if you blame the defense no one will be able to blame the colts problems on Manning.  You everyone else know that one of the basic tenets of this board is to always blame manning for the colts losses.  If that fails, blame polian, then dungy.   

although I am a colts fan, I cannot allow you to break ranks and script and place blame for the colts losses anywhere else but the above.  If you have questions please see the pats fan by-laws. 

Now if I am being honest then I agree with what you have said and it is the reason that all is not lost. 

Grogan - Marvin hasn't been a factor for 2 years. 

Exile - Now come on, we all know the team wins and loses with brady, just as the colts do with manning.  At least  that is the MO on this board.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

bub if you blame the defense no one will be able to blame the colts problems on Manning.  You everyone else know that one of the basic tenets of this board is to always blame manning for the colts losses.  If that fails, blame polian, then dungy.   

I was actually blaming the Patriots defense for the failures of the past four seasons, not the Colts defense. But though the Colts defense has historically not been a top ten squad (and not the strength of the team), they cannot be blamed for the failures in January. Even in the 06 postseason, it was the offense which was sluggish. Had KC or Baltimore had any kind of offense Manning's hand would still be missing a SB ring! There is a reason why most here blame Manning for Indy's past playoff disasters. Peyton has always played his worst games in the postseason. Colts fans (and the media) are so "awe struck" by Manning's stats in the regular season they cannot see the forest for the trees! Even in SB 41 Rex Grossman helped the Colts win as much as Manning did, though Peyton got the MVP (which IMO should have been split between Addai and Rhodes). My point was that now we will see if their offense (the Colts) can maintain their success through coaching defections as well as NE did. Though you may think it a "NE bias" to blame Manning for the Colts annual "crash and burn" in January, that's not exactly true. Manning has a long history of coming up short in postseason play going all the way back to Knoxville. We here are only stating what is obvious to anyone who's not wearing "Colts blinders".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I suppose it's true enough that Pats fans (any fans, anywhere, really) wear blinders . . .  but I do not recall ever hearing Tom Brady redirect criticism for a poor performance upon his teammates.

Not once.

Not ever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Most fans tend to overlook coaching staffs. But what have the Pats won since RAC and Weis left. I was never a huge fan of Weis. But does anyone think it would have taken Charlie three and a half quarters to adjust to what the Giants were doing to the Pats in the Superbowl? Weis did a hell of a lot more with far less. With all those weapons there is no way Weis doesn't at least get in to the mid to high 20s.

I'm not saying the Colts are going to fall apart (although that would be nice) but it will have some effect on the team

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Bub- I was just having fun with other pats fans on this board, because blaming manning is a pats fans first fun dig at the colts.  Like you have said re the pats D, primarily it is the colts D that can easily shoulder much of the blame for the colts shortcomings.  Only when the D came together did we actually win something. 

This is not to say that Manning hasn't had his share of shortcomings, its as obvious as the sun on a cloudless noon that the colts d has generally been less than stellar this decade. 

Mike- yep-manning and his "coverage problems".  He made a mistake and I bet he wishes he had it back.  Momentary lapse of reason.  So, what do we call Belichick's 7 year run of rule breaking. Momentary lapse of reason - won't work.  How about a misinterpretation.  LOL.  Laughing 

Dafoe - I think you are right.  My only hope is that with the way Manning controls the O on the field and the way Saturday controls the o-line on the field that we will be ok.  That said, the o-line still needs to develop.  Very young at 3 spots. 

I am actually kind of intrigued to see what happens on D.  Although we had a DC, I think it was Dungy's baby.  Its his D.  When he left Tampa, they won a SB.  Maybe the new DC can throw a few wrinkles in, and with a stouter (is that a word) interior D line, maybe we can play the run a bit better. 

I am hoping for 11 wins this year.  That may be too much to ask for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Hubris, dogg.

We call that hubris.

(well . . .  I do, anyway)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Shhh, bub if you blame the defense no one will be able to blame the colts problems on Manning.  You everyone else know that one of the basic tenets of this board is to always blame manning for the colts losses.  If that fails, blame polian, then dungy.    although I am a colts fan, I cannot allow you to break ranks and script and place blame for the colts losses anywhere else but the above.  If you have questions please see the pats fan by-laws.  Now if I am being honest then I agree with what you have said and it is the reason that all is not lost.  Grogan - Marvin hasn't been a factor for 2 years.  Exile - Now come on, we all know the team wins and loses with brady, just as the colts do with manning.  At least  that is the MO on this board.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Yes, Marvin Harrison hasn't been a factor for two years, and when did the Colts win their last Superbowl?  What have they done since then?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, Marvin Harrison hasn't been a factor for two years, and when did the Colts win their last Superbowl?  What have they done since then?
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

More recently than the pats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"Grogan - Marvin hasn't been a factor for 2 years."

And neither have the colts.....

It is true you have won ONE championship more recently then the Pats have but i would much rather have 3 championships in 4 years then 1 championship in...how long has manning been in the league now? 10 plus years? Yea I would much rather have our 3 titles then your 1.

The Colts are still a good team but I no longer consider them the power house they once were. Now the only thing on that team that still makes them a contender is the fact that they have a great NFL QB and one player is not enough. Plus I just dont see them getting past all these coaching changes.

As for saying the teams succsess is tied to Tom Brady as is the same for teh colts with Manning I do not agree, we proved last year that we can still win games with a back up QB but the Colts have never been in that situation so you can not claim the same. If you lost Manning your season would be shot and we proved last year that we can still compete without Brady although we would much rather have the best QB in football of course.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Another Colt fan here.  I think Underdogg is representative of most of us Colt fans: we're concerned about the coaching turnover, but cautiously optimistic because all the players seem to be in place and the "new" coaches have been with the team for years.  Those of us who watch a lot of Colt games are very familiar with the scene of Tom Moore going over aerial photos on the sideline between series, looking for opportunities and weaknesses.  My sense is that Manning can do that pretty well himself, but I'm sure that losing Moore will hurt a little in that department.  We'll see...I wouldn't be shocked to see some growing pains, but this is an established offensive system with all the key components being established veterans - I expect the offense to be pretty good in the end.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Hold your horses there Tas -

You do not have to agree that the pats success is tied Tom Brady like the colts is to Peyton Manning, but you speculating about the results of something that has not happened is no better.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Your right, what I mean is that from where I sit and I only speak for myself I do not THINK the Colts would be very good with out Manning, i do not think you could go 11-5 with out manning and now that your OC is retiring I doubt it even more that you could get by with out Manning. However we proved last year that the Pats succsessis not tied to Tom Brady we can compete without him, we dont want to lol but we can do it. With out Belichick could we do it? I doubt it which is why i think its such a big deal that Tom moore is retiring right after Dungy. You have to have those great coaches to make a team great and right now the Colts are losing great coaches left and right. And when I say great coaches i am not talking about Dungu because as you know dogg i hate that man and do not think he is even a good coach but thats just what i think. Tom Moore was a great OC for years, and he is the only guy to ever work with Manning it will be a blow to your team not having him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Tas - I understand what you are saying and respect is due for the success. 

We'll see how the colts coaching changes affect the team.  Could be significant.  Hopefully not. 

But back to the pats success without brady.  There are many pundits around the league who are saying that the fins cannot be expected to have as good of a season this year because they do not have the same schedule they had last year which they say benefitted the team greatly.  I think there are many here who agree with this statement. 

That said, the only difference between the pats and fins schedules were 2 games.  Now they were signficant games (pats played indy and pit) and could have changed the playoff picture, but by and large the easy schedule that most attribute to the fins is the same schedule that the pats played. 

KC, OAK, DEN, SF, STL, SEA.  The Pats beat 2 playoff teams last year - @Mia (who was 1-15 the prev year), and Arizona who had already locked up their playoff berth.  We'll never know if Indy could have won against that schedule, but Cassel and the pats faced possibly the easiest schedule they could have last year.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE] ...we're concerned about the coaching turnover, but cautiously optimistic because all the players seem to be in place and the "new" coaches have been with the team for years.  Those of us who watch a lot of Colt games are very familiar with the scene of Tom Moore going over aerial photos on the sideline between series, looking for opportunities and weaknesses.  My sense is that Manning can do that pretty well himself, but I'm sure that losing Moore will hurt a little in that department.  We'll see...I wouldn't be shocked to see some growing pains, but this is an established offensive system with all the key components being established veterans - I expect the offense to be pretty good in the end.
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

Jules...heres' an excellent article on the Colts that I think you'll enjoy. It lists 10 things which the Colts must do to return to the SB.

Curiously, it rates adjusting to the coaching only 10th on the list. If thats' so, it doesn't seem to say too much about Tony Dungy's perceived value to the team. In my view, the instability created by the losses of Dungy, OC Tom Moore, and OL coach Howard Mudd, will hurt. How much so remains to be seen. 

It also contains a discussion on the Colts' weakness in recent years in kick coverage. I've always felt that this can be attributed to Indy's salary structured being skewed too much to their stars...thus not leaving much space to hold on to quality reserves. It will also be interesting to see how much their punter, Hunter Smith, will be missed (although, with their offense, I don't see that as such a big deal).

The article also touches on Indy's need for a good second TE. Over the past few years, the Colts have lost good ones, such as Ben Utecht. He was a very effective role player for them...but left through free agency.

The Indy OL bears watching. Pro-bowl caliber center Jeff Saturday is 33, coming off knee surgery. Tony Ugoh started well, but back problems have hampered his development. Their top rookie from last year, Mike Pollak, is coming off knee surgery. Plus...with Mudd gone, Indy is losing one of the better OL coaches in the game. 

Another point of discussion was that Indy must run the ball more, to win. Indy's profound pass threat has seemingly set up their running attack. The Colts have  always screened, and run delayed hand-offs/draw plays very well. The addition of RB Donald Brown should provide them with a lethal two-headed RB monster...as he and Joseph Addai have similar strengths, and running styles.   

Indy's passing game has suffered due to the decline of Marvin Harrison. It is hoped that Anthony Gonzalez will step up and play a bigger role in the passing attack. But, without Harrison, the Colts lack a deep threat. This in turn allows safeties to concentrate of TE Dallas Clark, and on staying at home more...to combat screens and draws. It also allows double-coverage on Reggie Wayne.

On defense, the Colts needed an infllux of size inside. It remains to be seen if Fili Moala, the huge DT they drafted in the second round out of USC, can do what he did for the Trojans...penetrate and tie up offensive lineman, allowing the LBs to roam free and make plays.

Their secondary is thinner than last year. But, a return to full health of Dwight Freeney (to provide a strong pass-rush) and SS Bob Sanders should be what the doctor ordered. 

The main point discussed was the need of Indy's key players to stay healthy. Unlike last year, Peyton Manning should be 100% at the start of this season. The guys to watch are Sanders, Saturday, Ugoh, Freeney, Brackett, and Addai...all of whom have had their problems staying on the field over the past two years.

Heres' the article I spoke of: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/5/17/877660/10-things-the-colts-must-do-to?ref=yahoo      

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I agree Dogg that we had an easy schedule last year but to be honest as it pertains to this topic im not sure it really matters. How many teams would have lost Tom Brady last year with the schedule we had and then won 11 games with a back up who had not played a game since high school? Not too many teams even with that easy schedule could have done what we did. Maybe the Cowboys of the 90's could have pulled it off when they had Emmet Smith and coach Jimmy Johnson but its not an easy thing to do even with a soft schedule. I mean honestly do you THINK that the Colts could win 11 games with your back up? be honest.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Tas -  in response.  This was the same team that went 16-0/18-1.  I agree that it is a great accomplishment for the team given the use of an 8 year back up. 

I think we will find out how amazing this year.  If cassell turns out to be good, then I will claim 11-5 as a failure given the schedule.  If he turns out bad (as I assume) 11-5 should be considered good. 

I honestly don't know good the colts would be given we really havent seen much of the back up.  But if the colts 9-7 (5 games under their prior year like the pats) then ok. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Even if Cassel turns out to be the second coming of Brady it was still a good accomplishment. Its one thing if he is a great QB this year with a year under his belt its quite another thing to take a kid off the bench who had not started a game since high school and go 11-5. I know what you are saying but i dont agree that if he does well in KC that it some how brings down what he did for us last year i think either way last year was pretty amazing.

Sections
Shortcuts