Colts To Release Manning?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Colts To Release Manning?

For those who thought that the Colts could keep both Andrew Luck and Peyton...or could trade Manning for a kings' randsom in draft choices, check out the following article:

Colts will have a hard time trading Manning

Jacksonville Jaguars v Indianapolis Colts Getty Images

As the Colts move closer and closer to clinching the Andrew Luck sweepstakes, some have suggested that the Colts could trade Peyton Manning if they know they’ll be getting Luck-y.

Not so fast, my friend.  (Which is now officially Lee Corso’s second best catch phrase.)

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reported during Football Night in America that Manning’s $28 million option bonus is due before the start of the 2012 league year.  Since no trades can happen until after the 2012 league year begins, the Colts won’t be able to trade Manning before the $28 million comes due.

And that means the Colts will be less likely to trade him after paying him another $28 million.

Of course, Manning could give the Colts some relief by agreeing to postpone the due date, if only by a few days.  But here’s the thing.  What’s in it for Manning?  If there’s a team that he’d like to play for and if that team is willing to pay him $28 million to walk through the door, why tie his new team’s hands by forcing the new team to give up two first-round picks or more to the Colts?  Those picks could be used to help improve Manning’s new team.

Thus, it’s in Manning’s best interests, if he’s going to leave Indy, to refuse to change the date and force his release.

Regardless of how it works out, it’ll be one of the most compelling stories of the offseason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Colts To Release Manning?

Get him as a backup for Brady and let him mop up blowout wins. It'll show once and for all who the better qb is. LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

i think he will go to the 49ers next year-

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Colts To Release Manning?:
    i think he will go to the 49ers next year-
    Posted by patthepatriot666

Nah, I don't think so. I'm actually a Niners fan that likes the Patriots too, and the unthinkable has happened. I never thought Alex Smith would amount to anything, but he really is coming around so far. He's sort of a Phill Simms type. Not flashy, but very efficient. He made some touch throws today that were beautiful. Wonders never cease. So unless Smith regresses (a la Mark Sanchez) the Niners will probably stick with him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In Response to Re: Colts To Release Manning? : Nah, I don't think so. I'm actually a Niners fan that likes the Patriots too, and the unthinkable has happened. I never thought Alex Smith would amount to anything, but he really is coming around so far. He's sort of a Phill Simms type. Not flashy, but very efficient. He made some touch throws today that were beautiful. Wonders never cease. So unless Smith regresses (a la Mark Sanchez) the Niners will probably stick with him.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Agree. I always thought Smith had a confidence problem too and it didn't help him having a diffrent OC year after year. Harbaugh has done a good job with him

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Colts To Release Manning? : Agree. I always thought Smith had a confidence problem too and it didn't help him having a diffrent OC year after year. Harbaugh has done a good job with him
    Posted by Homecheese

I wanted the Niners to try to trade for Carson Palmer in the offseason, but Harbaugh believed in Smith. He's a heck of a coach, proof of what good leadership can do on the field. Red Sox please take notice......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I said this at the beginning of the year and got killed for it. It's that 28mil bonus they need to pay out that will be the back breaker in the end. It's really a 50/50 shot that Manning would ever come back to form so why pay 28mil and a #1 pick for the same position? It would ensure the lose of even more FA's this offseason. They will either trade back and get a kings ransom for Luck then draft a project QB in the late 1st early 2nd to replace Manning in a couple years or they will release Manning to save the cash and try to start the rebuilding with some FA's and a rook QB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: Colts To Release Manning? : Nah, I don't think so. I'm actually a Niners fan that likes the Patriots too, and the unthinkable has happened. I never thought Alex Smith would amount to anything, but he really is coming around so far. He's sort of a Phill Simms type. Not flashy, but very efficient. He made some touch throws today that were beautiful. Wonders never cease. So unless Smith regresses (a la Mark Sanchez) the Niners will probably stick with him.
    Posted by TheExaminer

So, good quarterbacks get killed by bad coaches?  Who woulda thunk it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

he'll go to the jets.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I agree that they'll either try to move Manning and draft Luck, or trade the Luck pick for two number ones or a one and two and take a chance on Manning while using picks to fill holes. Either way, I hate the Colts, and I don't want them rebuilding that team. Or, what would be even better is to see them trade Manning, draft Luck, and end up with Ryan Leaf II. I live in Indiana, and it's been so nice listening to the utter silence this season. Reminds me of the wonderful pre-Manning 3-13 kind of days, or snowy, windswept Januarys at Foxboro with Manning on his backside.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

he'll go to the jets.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

LOL....now THAT would be hilarious.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Colts To Release Manning? : So, good quarterbacks get killed by bad coaches?  Who woulda thunk it!
    Posted by Davedsone

There would be a picture of Mark Sanchez next to this in the post dictionary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Colts To Release Manning? : There would be a picture of Mark Sanchez next to this in the post dictionary.
    Posted by TheExaminer

But, that's a case of a bad QB making a good coach look bad

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I agree that they'll either try to move Manning and draft Luck, or trade the Luck pick for two number ones or a one and two and take a chance on Manning while using picks to fill holes. Either way, I hate the Colts, and I don't want them rebuilding that team. Or, what would be even better is to see them trade Manning, draft Luck, and end up with Ryan Leaf II. I live in Indiana, and it's been so nice listening to the utter silence this season. Reminds me of the wonderful pre-Manning 3-13 kind of days, or snowy, windswept Januarys at Foxboro with Manning on his backside.
    Posted by TheExaminer

If someone wants Luck bad enough you are looking at a Williams type of trade.

1st, 2nd, 3rd this year and 1sr and 2nd next year too

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Posted by TheExaminer

examiner, (are you out here on the west coast too? im a transplant from r.i.)

i love jim harbaugh. i feared what he would do with a team we compete with. what he did with this poor team underachieving on defense and just bad on offense with no camp puts what we did to shame. if bb is smarter (he may be) and better (jury out for a few years) than harbaugh, it didnt show.

1 loss and that was almost a win.
    crappy to 2nd best team in nfc.

i hope they beat the packers in the playoffs. if we get a miracle and go to the super bowl, we'll have more of a chance against a good d than a great offense (said another way, sf may have a better chance beating the packers than we do).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I said this at the beginning of the year and got killed for it. It's that 28mil bonus they need to pay out that will be the back breaker in the end. It's really a 50/50 shot that Manning would ever come back to form so why pay 28mil and a #1 pick for the same position? It would ensure the lose of even more FA's this offseason. They will either trade back and get a kings ransom for Luck then draft a project QB in the late 1st early 2nd to replace Manning in a couple years or they will release Manning to save the cash and try to start the rebuilding with some FA's and a rook QB
    Posted by PatsEng

wow. 
    that would be great. i hope they take luck. dont want them having so many picks in this draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Posted by PatsEng

who the heck has a shot to pick him up. 
    if hes comnpletely free he could go to the best team.
    or does he go for the most$ / longest contract?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Colts To Release Manning? : If someone wants Luck bad enough you are looking at a Williams type of trade. 1st, 2nd, 3rd this year and 1sr and 2nd next year too
    Posted by PatsEng

thinking that too. i wan themn top take luck. try for another manning. you dont think they are smart enough to go for 2 drafts do you?
    a new face of teh franchise i think would be th eway they go.

how long do you think before we find out how well mannings neck is. game 1 on his new team?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Colts To Release Manning? : examiner, (are you out here on the west coast too? im a transplant from r.i.) i love jim harbaugh. i feared what he would do with a team we compete with. what he did with this poor team underachieving on defense and just bad on offense with no camp puts what we did to shame. if bb is smarter (he may be) and better (jury out for a few years) than harbaugh, it didnt show. 1 loss and that was almost a win. crappy to 2nd best team in nfc. i hope they beat the packers in the playoffs. if we get a miracle and go to the super bowl, we'll have more of a chance against a good d than a great offense (said another way, sf may have a better chance beating the packers than we do).
    Posted by bredbru

Nah, I'm from the Midwest, live in Indiana, and have lived a lot of places in the eastern time zone. But I have been a Niners fan since 94. Not much to cheer about til this year. Ive passed some of the time following the Patriots. I started liking the Niners because I hated Dallas, and SF was the only team that could consistently give that D team trouble. I agree about the Pack. I remember in 95 when we were coming off a championship and the upstart Favre Packers upset us at home in the PS. I was TICKED, and hated the Packers with a passion for years after that. I don't hate this Packers team because I like Rogers, but I'd still like to see us pay them back for 95, seeing the teams are exactly reversed from what they were then.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Colts To Release Manning? : But, that's a case of a bad QB making a good coach look bad
    Posted by PatsEng

Hmmmm, I'd have to agree that Ryan is a good coach to go along with that, and that's too much for me to swallow.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

My god could you imagine him in a Jet's uniform? Manning, plus a decent defense and running game...yikes, don't like that. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

They're still the Jests, they'd find a way to screw it up. No worries.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Closet Colts troll at it again with his 400 Colts thread of the year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

$28 million is a lot of money for a player you do not know if he will ever be 100% again

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

Luck will not play for Indy. If they draft him he will stay in school. His agent will let the Colts know this. No way he wants to try and fill those shoes or forehead.

Colts will resign Peyton. Kinda miss the fivehead. League isn't the same without him. I can't believe how lame the Colts are this year. It's like 16 games of the 2009 laydown against the Jets.

If Peyton does have to hang up the cleats, I guess the Colts are capable of two 0-16 seasons.

Sections
Shortcuts