Combine Over-Rated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Combine Over-Rated?

I would concur....it had Geno Smith rated as an NFL QB......don't ya just hate it when things don't work out.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Combine is just a part of the draft evaluation process.  Coaches/personnel types get the most important info from the game tape, but the combine gives them an opportunity to get an upclose look at a players movement ability and physical strength... it also allows them for some in person interaction, which can be valueable. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Combine is just a part of the draft evaluation process.  Coaches/personnel types get the most important info from the game tape, but the combine gives them an opportunity to get an upclose look at a players movement ability and physical strength... it also allows them for some in person interaction, which can be valueable. 

[/QUOTE]

That last part and the medical check ups are most likely the biggest things in the combine. Most of the rest is almost just frosting for fans. For example catching drills. A player drops one of 5 balls and the announcers go off like that will cost him. Well most likely not unless he dropped all 5 under the spot lights. However, the combine is a great chance for people to really see how a player reacts under pressure to things like being asked a bunch of random questions after bouncing around from team to team to see how well he retains info and football knowledge. It's also a good chance to see if they are the type of personality that would fit your team, kind of like if you ever interviewed someone you can tell if you'll gel or if you would just be abrasive to each other. It's also a huge benefit to get medical checks ups on higher taletned players who sustained injures and might go mid rounds just to see how they are recovering. With a limited number of visits and no real ability to get indepth medical check ups this is a vastly under rated aspect of the combine (which has saved a few lives too). Of course the fans never get to see this type of info but it's always fun to see different drills and confirm what you liked from a players game film or maybe makes you take a 2nd look at a player you didn't notice before. I actually like the combine a lot however, the drills are over-rated for teams but the value of the medical check ups and interviews is vastly under-rated imo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I think so, certain drills I like. Fun to watch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Welker, Volmer and Woodhead were not even invited to the combine...Good GM's find good players and good coaches develop them. But the combine is obviously one important aspect of the draft process.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

With the draft being moved until damn near training camp, the combine at least offers a modicum of news before the draft. You'ld think that if you had the most saleable sports product you wouldn't stretch the fan bases concentration out so long.Goodell's idea not mine.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I understand that the combine is the place to make agent contact with prospective free agents, which is against NFL policy, but hard to enforce at the combine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That last part and the medical check ups are most likely the biggest things in the combine. Most of the rest is almost just frosting for fans. For example catching drills. A player drops one of 5 balls and the announcers go off like that will cost him. Well most likely not unless he dropped all 5 under the spot lights. However, the combine is a great chance for people to really see how a player reacts under pressure to things like being asked a bunch of random questions after bouncing around from team to team to see how well he retains info and football knowledge. It's also a good chance to see if they are the type of personality that would fit your team, kind of like if you ever interviewed someone you can tell if you'll gel or if you would just be abrasive to each other. It's also a huge benefit to get medical checks ups on higher taletned players who sustained injures and might go mid rounds just to see how they are recovering. With a limited number of visits and no real ability to get indepth medical check ups this is a vastly under rated aspect of the combine (which has saved a few lives too). Of course the fans never get to see this type of info but it's always fun to see different drills and confirm what you liked from a players game film or maybe makes you take a 2nd look at a player you didn't notice before. I actually like the combine a lot however, the drills are over-rated for teams but the value of the medical check ups and interviews is vastly under-rated imo

[/QUOTE]

Have the Patriot's medical staff been missing the annual combine?  LOL Laughing

[/QUOTE]

It's the same doctor the Sox fired because he couldn't keep the players healthy either...... Maybe someone should be checking him out actually

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

By fans, yes.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

You have the combine, players invited not doing all the drills as they choose to show what they can do during their own pro day closer to the draft.  It is getting to be comical.  Fun to watch though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the combine is a piece of the evaluation process.

Teams get to interview these players and get a chance to sit down with them and see what they are like.

Teams actually get a chance to get true measurements in height and weight, because colleges play with those figures so much...that kid you thought was 6'3", is really 6'1", etc.

I think college schemes are protecting/hiding some of the faults of a lot of these players, the combine exposes that.

I don't think the combine is the most important factor in the process - I think the indvidual workouts are - the one's you don't hear about till after the draft, etc. When teams send positional coaches down to the kid's hometown and run him through their stuff, that's when I think a lot of serious decisions are really being made...and the personal workouts at team facilities too.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the numbers that come out of these campus workouts either - you always here that certain colleges have fast tracks, or the kid ran with the wind against his back. The thing that really bugs me is when these kids don't do the whole workout all at one time...a bench at the combine, but no 40...a 40 at his campus, but no bench or weigh in...that's a bunch of crap. All that is, is a a kid changing his weight to benefit whatever numbers he's trying to reach, when in fact he won't be able to run (or lift) as much at whatever weight he's actually playing at. 

I think the biggest thing about the combine is not making the mistake of falling in love with a kid's height, speed, etc...I'll never forget the Eagles doing that with Mike Mamula...that was bad. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With the draft being moved until damn near training camp, the combine at least offers a modicum of news before the draft. You'ld think that if you had the most saleable sports product you wouldn't stretch the fan bases concentration out so long.Goodell's idea not mine.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%!

I think one of the best times of the football season is actually things like free agency, the draft, etc, because it sells hope. You hope your team improves...you watch the draft and think...I want them to select this guy, or that guy. It's an exciting time, but I hate having to wait for it. I'd rather it be a little earlier that way we would know who we selected and could hear more about them through mini camps, interviews with past coaches, interviews with our own coach, hearing little tid bits from players own our own team about the players, etc.

We used to hear more about the rookies through the mini camp practices from the media - I loved that - now the team really doesn't allow them to comment about it. That's a shame, I can remember reading early reports on Chris Canty and thinking..uh oh. And I can remember reading reports on Dieon Branch and thinking...wow, that's impressive. Of course there were reports that were totally wrong, like when everyone wrote about how impressive Chad Jackson was looking in practices, etc, but it was fun to read all of it as a fan...now you don't get as much. You get stuff in actual training camp, but camp is so far away.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Over rated by fans? no doubt. but lets be honest, I think watching these guys run 4.3's and bench 225 30+ times is amazing. i dont put too much into it but damn its amazing to watch these young athletes.

GMs and Execs (for the most part) know its just part of the draft process. just another step for them to evaluate a player by.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I understand that the combine is the place to make agent contact with prospective free agents, which is against NFL policy, but hard to enforce at the combine

[/QUOTE]

speaking of which I read Talib/BB were talking deal today

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think it helps the coaches/staff check on injurys from the end of the season and gives them the opportunity to evaluate the mental state of a player. They ask them football questions and now more so they can try to see if off field issues are in the past, Dennard for example. It's not perfect, Hernandez for example but they really don't have a lot to go on other then that.  the. Private workouts are nice but sometimes a player isn't invited to one so not to tip the teams hand for the draft.  I believe mankins didn't have a private work out at Gillette. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mellymel2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The combine is part information gathering and part social get together by the coaches and management folks from all over the league...the owners have their semi-annual meetings, but this gig is for the actual day-to-day professionals, including player agents...

Aside from facts about the players (ht./wt./speed/agility drills and times/weight lifting/jumping) teams might find out someone is a better athlete than they showed on film and might dictate a closer look to verify the combine performance and/or bring about futher film study to make sure....there's always a chance someone simply stands out and makes people notice....The Jets drafted a speedy, if not very good, WR from Georgia Tech 2 years ago in the first round, Steven Hill,  largely as a result of a very fast and unexpected 40 yd. dash time performed at the combine...alas, they are getting ready to cut him...rack up yet another high round draft choice BUST for the NY Jets....

Teams like the Pats like to see players who have played several years as a starter and rely more on personal visits by scouts and coaches over several years as well as detailed breakdown of game film for those players.

[/QUOTE]

Smelly, you are making things up just like Russell, hmmmm, makes all of us wonder.

Hill is a 2nd round choice, not 1st. Why do you remember the Jets draft busts but not the pats? Don't the pats have many, many more 2nd round busts than the Jets? RasI, Cunningham, Butler, brace, Chung, Wilson and need I go on? 

I have no issue with anyone criticizing, especially the Jets. But at least get the facts straight, and when calling the jets 2nd round busts out, you need to also see the misses the pats have had and see it is much worse. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts