Comeback player of the year award

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

Comeback player of the year award

OK folks who do you think should get this? I read where someone posted it is meant for a injured player who fought their way back. In that case I would say Welker gets it hands down.

Your pick?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Comeback player of the year award

Either Welker or EJ Henderson.  You can make a case for each. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

WW gets my vote

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

not even close... MICHAEL VICK! BTW, i hope to c welker catch 14 balls on sunday so he gets his 100 catches!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Vick? From what did he come back? He played in 2009, just like Brady. He didn't come off of an injury, just like Brady. Are comeback award-winners allowed to win by coming back over a two-year span?  Are suspended players going to be allowed to be comeback players?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Comeback player of the year award:
    [QUOTE]Vick? From what did he come back? He played in 2009, just like Brady. He didn't come off of an injury, just like Brady. Are comeback award-winners allowed to win by coming back over a two-year span?  Are suspended players going to be allowed to be comeback players?
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

While I don't like what I am about to say because Vick is an obvious turd, that unfortunately does not disqualify him.

However my general understanding of the award is that it is not just about injuries, nor about year to year comebacks. It is most often about a player coming back to form from being counted out, by injury or other reason. Someone people figured was done and washed up.

While Welkers recoveries from his TWO injuries are astounding to me, he didn't really miss anything. Part of one regular season game and one playoff game. He also is not returning from a down year and it can be argued he is not fully back to his previous form yet.

Vick on the other hand was a high profile starter in the league. Was away for some years. Came back, as a backup and has now returned to a starting role and by those who would know more than me is playing maybe his best ball ever.

I have no opinion on his play as i only follow the Patriots but he does seem to fit my understanding of the award.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

Sorry, but a comeback award should never be awarded to a player who comes back from serving time in the Federal Prison.   It should be for a player who comes back from an injury after they were out for most of the season.  Welker only was out less then 2 games so hard to say he's a "comeback" player.  He should get an award for quick recovery but he didn't even miss an entire regular season game.  What he did was amazing but in my opinion he didn't comeback from being gone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, but a comeback award should never be awarded to a player who comes back from serving time in the Federal Prison...

Posted by ItsPat[/QUOTE]

"I disagree."

Plaxico Burress

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Brett Favre.  Nobody does come backs better, year after year, like Brett.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Vick this year.

If Austin Collie plays next year and has aa solid season, he'll get it next year

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]Vick? From what did he come back? He played in 2009, just like Brady. He didn't come off of an injury, just like Brady. Are comeback award-winners allowed to win by coming back over a two-year span?  Are suspended players going to be allowed to be comeback players?
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Exactly chris.  He came back last year.  Why is the NFL trying so hard to get this guy an award?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's just my general feeling a player should not receive the award if the reason they were out was their own fault (ie went to prison for a crime they committed, hurt themselves at home, falling out of bed, if they sat out for a contract dispute, or if they were suspended for violating the rules).

But that's just me

BTW my vote goes to Brian Urlacher. The man has played 14 games so far this season up from 1 last season and has made over 100 tackles 88 solo and 3.5 sacks and an int this year. Made a huge come back from his injury shortened season last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]It's just my general feeling a player should not receive the award if the reason they were out was their own fault (ie went to prison for a crime they committed, hurt themselves at home, falling out of bed, if they sat out for a contract dispute, or if they were suspended for violating the rules). But that's just me BTW my vote goes to Brian Urlacher. The man has played 14 games so far this season up from 1 last season and has made over 100 tackles 88 solo and 3.5 sacks and an int this year. Made a huge come back from his injury shortened season last year.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

You are right, Urlacher is more worthy than Welker.  Great year, when he had appeared all done after 2009.  Classic come-back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I am going with tradition and voting for Chad Pennington.

But seriously, Urlacher over Welker? No way! Urlacher had a dislocated wrist that required surgery. And he was basically out for the season for it so he had more recovery time - for a wrist injury. Welker blew out two ligaments in the last game of the season and hasn't missed a game this season. Also, the injury is often considered career ending. That is a comeback to almost rival Tedi.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Comeback player of the year award : "I disagree."    Plaxico Burress
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]
    sweet

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

A jacked wrist for an inside linebacker? That's a pretty bad injury, too, right? And Urlacher had diminished so much leading up to it.  But I get your point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I am going with tradition and voting for Chad Pennington. But seriously, Urlacher over Welker? No way! Urlacher had a dislocated wrist that required surgery. And he was basically out for the season for it so he had more recovery time - for a wrist injury. Welker blew out two ligaments in the last game of the season and hasn't missed a game this season. Also, the injury is often considered career ending. That is a comeback to almost rival Tedi.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

Welker's recovery was incredible but it's one of those things when I think come back I don't think off-season I think season to season and Welker put up 100 catches before getting injured and almost a 100 this season. I'm not taking away from what Welker did which is just short of a miracle but Urlacher missed an entire season of football and came back playing the best he has since he was in his prime.

Also a wrist injury can be a career ending injury to a LB and there was talk that Urlacher's career was over after his injury given his age. I'd guess a good comparison would be if Willie Mac injured his wrist in 07 with the Browns then in 08 played like he did from 03-05.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

If Vick is allowed to get 2 years to come back then Tom Brady deserves the award.  Yes thats right Tom Brady. Look how good he's playing this year after having a non Tom Brady year last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

The Media is dying to give Vick an award & unreasonable as it may be he'll get it so the NFL will have it's "Feel Good Story" & all the fools that think Vick should have gotten the MVP(NOT) will feel vindicated to some degree...TOTAL JOKE!!!
    Vick is in his 2nd year back after a self imposed downward spiral for stupidity...

Sections
Shortcuts