Comments on "10 Questions - Where's the rush?"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vafan2004. Show vafan2004's posts

Comments on "10 Questions - Where's the rush?"

After the Patriots lost both WRs Deion Branch and David Givens, much was written about the need to get some quality wideouts for Tom Brady.  Well, Belichick responded with getting Reche Caldwell, drafted Chad Jackson, and wanted to feature Benjamin Watson.  Well, that did not work out which prompted Bill go out and get Welker and Moss the next offseason. 

For the past 2 drafts, much was written about the need for a pass rush.  How did Bill respond?  He traded Seymour and Vrabel.  He signed Burgess, Banta-Cain, and drafted ILB Tyrone McKenzie.

I do not understand.  How can something so obvious to outside observers be overlooked by Bill?  What does he know that we don't know? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Re: Comments on "10 Questions - Where's the rush?"

I dont even understand what your asking? Are you asking why Vrabel and Seymour were traded or if theres something we are missing as fans or both? Because overall its pretty simple to figure out why both were traded. 

Vrabel was traded because he got old fast. He couldnt rush anymore, and his moves just werent working. Bill thought it was enough and to package him for a second round pick with Cassel thats pretty good value. Also they were counting alot on Crable this past year and he got hurt sad.

Seymour was traded because one he probably wasnt going to be resigned, and two the fact that he couldnt stay healthy for a 16 game season. So Bill parted with him feeling comfortable with the linemen we had this year and knowing that Wilfork was going no where, and stick with a 1-2 year rotation at DE and right now were on year two unless one of these guys plays like Bill wants them to. 

So now there is Crable, Cunningham, TBC, and Burgess with the OLBs (I wont count the guys who are STers) and at DE there is Wright, Warren, Ty Warren, Deadrick, and some others from last years draft. While trading Vrabel and Cassel has brought in Chung.

With the trade of Seymour I think Pats fans should have known that their could be a rebuilding mode and last year was it. I think that was the most I have seen young players play for quite some time. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

I think Vrabel was adding too much flame to the fire burning in the NFLPA about the upcoming CBA...

He was very vocal about getting a raise for additional services in the event the year was expanded to 18 games, and he was not interested in restructuring his deal with NE last year. BB did him a favor because he made over 5 million last year and he could have been released and re signed for much less... example Adalious Thomas this year..., he is not going to make near 5 million..., he may be lucky to get around the vet min! 

Thomas, Seymour, and Vrabel were not instilling the veteran leadership the patriots have tried to facilitate for the past decade either. That is loyalty, discipline on and off the field, commitment to the community, and commitment to the organizational values, which include at times the infamous hometown discount..., The home town discount is complete bull but they clearly expect it from there tenured veterans.

On the hand if you are going to fail because of age and the loss of experienced players why not fail fast and recover fast... there was no sense in holding on to the past so he moved on with Bruschi, Vrabel, and Harrison and handed the defense over to Wilfork, Mayo and MerriWheather... that is smart

I think the pass rushing OLB is coming but BB is afraid to bust on a early DE/OLB hybrid like the Jets did on Gholston... He'll find a diamond in the rough this year OR use the Raiders pick on an OLB project next year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Methinks I smell a ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

-vafan

After the Patriots lost both WRs Deion Branch and David Givens, much was written about the need to get some quality wideouts for Tom Brady.  Well, Belichick responded with getting Reche Caldwell, drafted Chad Jackson, and wanted to feature Benjamin Watson.  Well, that did not work out which prompted Bill go out and get Welker and Moss the next offseason.

It's easier finding WRs than it is a pass rusher.  Besides, Moss was a malcontent and Welker wasn't Welker yet.  Nobody gives up pass rushers and drafting one is tricky or a lot of luck is involved. 

For the past 2 drafts, much was written about the need for a pass rush.  How did Bill respond?  He traded Seymour and Vrabel.  He signed Burgess, Banta-Cain, and drafted ILB Tyrone McKenzie.

Two years ago Seymour and Vrabel were on the team and that's when the question popped up!  The team had other issues.  You had Brushi and Harrison retiring.  It took two drafts and the signing of Bodden to get the defensive back to looking somewhat promising.   

I do not understand.  How can something so obvious to outside observers be overlooked by Bill?  What does he know that we don't know? 

The problem is with the outside observers.  This position is very hard to fill.  Case in point, there are a lot of teams that are hurting for a pass rusher.  Belichick did address the spot with the drafting of Cunningham and Crable comes back from injury.  Cunningham will need a year or two to learn a new position so patience will be the order of business with him.  Crable has been out for a couple of years but knows the playbook by now.  With the youth movement on defense it will be interesting to say the least.     

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

How can something so obvious to outside observers be overlooked by Bill?  What does he know that we don't know? 
    Posted by vafan2004[/QUOTE]

Everything, he knows how good the players look in practice, how hard they work who has the potential to be great who doesn't.  He knows who is available as a pass rusher and precisely what that will cost.  He projects salaries years out to see how it will affect their ability to sign their own players and free agents.  Most of all, he knows not to listen to outside observers. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

In Response to Re: Comments on "10 Questions - Where's the rush?":
    I dont even understand what your asking? Are you asking why Vrabel and Seymour were traded or if theres something we are missing as fans or both? Because overall its pretty simple to figure out why both were traded.   Vrabel was traded because he got old fast. He couldnt rush anymore, and his moves just werent working. Bill thought it was enough and to package him for a second round pick with Cassel thats pretty good value. Also they were counting alot on Crable this past year and he got hurt sad.  Seymour was traded because one he probably wasnt going to be resigned, and two the fact that he couldnt stay healthy for a 16 game season. So Bill parted with him feeling comfortable with the linemen we had this year and knowing that Wilfork was going no where, and stick with a 1-2 year rotation at DE and right now were on year two unless one of these guys plays like Bill wants them to.   So now there is Crable, Cunningham, TBC, and Burgess with the OLBs (I wont count the guys who are STers) and at DE there is Wright, Warren, Ty Warren, Deadrick, and some others from last years draft. While trading Vrabel and Cassel has brought in Chung. With the trade of Seymour I think Pats fans should have known that their could be a rebuilding mode and last year was it. I think that was the most I have seen young players play for quite some time. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn

This is a very good breakdown... 

The media continues to say that the lose of Briuschi, Vrable, Seymour and Harrison brought on the demise of our D. Well.. three of the four retired "On their Own" and BigSey93 was oft injured as you said and he also had trouble motivating himself. He really needed a change of scenery. When he is healthy and motivated he is virtually unstoppable. We needed more than three games a year worth of that to make a HUGE payday a payoff for the Pats. 

I think the 2010 version of the Patriots are going to shock people. It feeles like we have enough verterans mixed with a lot of very talented youth to put together another solid run for the next 3~5 years. Imagine how the media and haters are going to feel when they figure out that the Pats went 11~5 and 10~6 during the rebuild years. But I will be patient and watch them grow as a team. BB always says "You need to be playing your best football starting at Thanksgiving" I think buy the time the Vikings come to town the Patriots will be a team that none want to play..  Just looking over our schedule..UUUGGG... Gut check...

I will finish this by saying thank you to all of them and a host of other Pats that brought championships and pride to this franchise. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I think the Pats are fine. 

Banta-Cain got 10 sacks last year.  Can anyone make him disappear this year with a magic wand?

Burgess finally adapted to linebacker and was racking up sacks late in the season.

Cunningham is the real deal, and he will bring his Florida game pretty seamlessly into the Patriots' defense.  He's a pass rusher.

That's three guys already vying for two linebacker slots.  Crable unfortunately may star in a Budweiser commercial.  If he stays healthy, that's icing on the cake.  He has extra-long arms to keep blockers off of his body, and he can tip passes up in the air with his reach and height. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

People forget that Seymours was best against the run. He was double teamed every time on the run. He allowed the LB's to fill the gap. But a premier pash rusher he was not. He wasn't a DE like Ware or Freeney. He was a DT and was not as key in the pash rush as he was against the run. Did he help with the pash rush, sure, but that wasn't where his dominant play was at.

As others have said, his time in NE was going to be over and we got a 1st rounder for him which is sure to be a top 10 pick.

Sections
Shortcuts