Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots

It's offseason so of course there is talk of the patritos demise again- although the team is young, and there is all sorts of doom and gloom talk from the national media, i'm not sure at what position they are worse off at this year.
    The secondary will certainly get better. A year's experience for young players with mccourty an improved chung and wilhite playing the more suitable slot role.
    The LBs will almost certainly improve as well. burgess has another year, there might be something from crable, and cunningham and spikes will make some kind of impact. and mayo, hopefully, wont be injury-plagues
    When it comes to the line i think lewis and warren are an upgrade from what an injured jarvis green had to offer.
    on the offensive side of the ball, edelman improves, something will come  from tate and price, moss plays well in a contract year, and welker will prove productive eventualy. i expect the running game will only be better because- fred taylor looked pretty impressive when he was healthy
    the only spot you can put down as a downgrade is offensive line with mankins out.
    but, bottom line, besides the O-line- if mankins leaves- where do the 2010 patriots regress.
    the pats will certainly be a playoff team. and they are not going to lose all their road games (like they did in 09 with the exception of game 1)
    go PATS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots

All good points, I don't see a drop off at any position from last year to this year, except for maybe WR if Welker is out for the first half of the season.

Our secondary has a year under its belt, like you pointed out. We have a new influx of linebackers this year( Crable, Cunnigham, Spikes ) Our D line looks shaky but not worse off then last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Upgrades:
    Secondary.  Our secondary has even more talent and speed, and increased experience.  Time to make some noise.

LBs: At least on first and second downs, Mckenzie and Spikes provide a serious upgrade interior.  OLB has to be better by default, and I think Burgess will be significantly more of a contributor.

QB: I think this is the most overlooked.  Instead of coming back from an injury, he just gets to be Tom Brady again.

Wash:
    WR: Edelman will be better no doubt, I'm hopeful about Tate, but I'm concerned about Welker.  Will he be able to perform at a high level this season?

DL: The same questions we had last year.

RBs: We have the same RBs we had last year, except a year older.

Downgrade:

O-line:  I have faith in Dante, but I'm really worried we loose Mankins and have a serious downgrade in our run and pass blocking on the left side.  Volmer gives you a lot of hope, but I'm pretty stressed about the Mankins thing.

Anyway, we're better this year than last year, but I think the real jump is 2011, when we have those 24 players drafted in 2009/2010 as veterans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFanInFlorida. Show BostonFanInFlorida's posts

TE should be a significant upgrade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

IMO the team is much better than last year except for the Oline.  Light is a year older I don't think Mankins will be back with the team and Neal has been injury prone. 

Now with that been said, the Patriots have drafted a number of OL players that look very promising.  I do think they will have some problems for the first few games but who has a better OL coach in the league?  These guys will be ready and they will put together a good unit they will need time to adjust and play together.  This is my one concern and I might called a homer but I do think the other areas are really strong including the OLBs.

WRs, there are 4 guys who will compete for that #3 and #4 WR spot and all bring something different.  Leading this attack are two quality veterans who are teaching the young guys the ropes.  Added to the group is Hernandez, he sounds like is becoming a viable target in the red zone and will create some matchup nightmares.

TEs Improved, as long as all three learn the O which sounds like they are this group can be a very impressive one.

RBs, Although I would have loved to see a drafted guy here like Ben Tate or Toby Gebhart this group as a group can be good as long as the OL gives them the holes.

secondary, this I believe will be one of the best areas of the team.  They will make the Dline and OLBs better by giving them an extra second or two to get to the QB.  Butler is looking extremely good in coverage, with Bodden and McCourty these three will be really good.  Wilhite has always been a better slot CB than outside so I think he'll have a good year.
    The safeties, there's good competition and hope Chung keeps growing and getting better.
    MLB what a group I don't know how they can keep all these guys one the team and give them time but Mayo, McKenzie, Spikes, Williams, Guyton this has the makins for an extremely good core of LBs.
    OLB although on paper right now, I think with the improved play from the secondary these group will be able to get after the QB.  The DL looks to be improved so they'll eat up blocks freeing the LBs to make plays in the backfield.

I also think we are making too much of a 34 OLB, the Pats spent 50% of their D snaps in a nickel type D because it is a passing league.  So roughly 25% (remainder dime/43 ect) of the time they were in a form of a 3 4.  So fans are asking for a stud OLB to get sacks in 25% of the time, they now have guys who can play in nickel, dime and 43 who might not be an ideal 34 OLB but with the team playing about 75% of their snaps in something other than 34 I like the chances of them getting sacks this season.

So comparing to 2009, this is a much improved team.  The schedule will be brutal but I still think they can win 11 games and win the East.  Maybe not the SB this year but darn near close all depends on a few guys on the OL how good can they be.  TB has a full season after the surgery and has plenty of weapons.  Moss won't be tripled team on every snap there are other guys one the field who can take it all the way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

i just dont see how the pass rush, nor rushing the ball has improved...and mccourty might be good...but he is still a rookie and will have growing pains, just like the rest of a very young, secondary...but i expect them to show flashes

i think the brutal schedule will also hurt considering how many young players there are on the roster overall and the pats really dont have a break in the schedule unless they are playing the bills

i see them as about a 10 win team with a win or a loss margin of error...it will also be very interesting to see the kind of year randy moss has...is it a further regression in his skills this year or does he pick up his play to get a new deal next offseason?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots:
    They were a top 5 rushing team last year in terms of carries/yards gained. I am pretty sure Crumpler is a better blocker at TE, Gronkwoski or Hernandez will present a more consistent passing option at that position and Brady will be better You aks what this has to do with rushing, and I'll say a more balanced offense  v.s. last year. Are you saying Holt, Tate or Price can't be better than Galloway was last year as a flanker , assuming Edelman starts off in the slot? No more doubling Moss and focusing on Welker on 3rd downs.  The Dolphins are going to have to guess where the ball is going and if it's a run or pass, not know each aspect on every down.
    Posted by russgriswold

its not the rushing rank that im down on, but how they did it...everything is spread formation...IMO, they needed a power runner and this is an area they didnt upgrade...same goes for their offensive line and now mankins isnt happy

and its not that im saying anything bad about the WR corps but holt isnt the player he was even 3 years ago...and i dont know enough about tate or price to say anything positive or negative...but they are rookie WR's and the learning curve is high for almost all of em

and come on crusty...its not the pas havent had alot of options in the past to work with...it wholely depends on your offensive coordinator's willingness to use his weapons...something that he has chose not to do in the past...and its not like BB is world renowned for his trust of rookies and rewarding them with alot of PT either

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Oops--I forgot TE.  Yes, insane, off the charts upgrade :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots : Listen, JackYourselfOff: Torry Holt caught 51 balls for 722 yards averaging his career average in YPC at 14 yards.  So, he absolutely is still the same player, minus audy stats from his prime years in a loaded passing offense in a dome. That's with David Garrard last year, Jack. David Garrard. If he's averaging even 10 yards per catch here and grabs 40 balls from Tom Brady, that production will be more effective here than in Jacksonville because of the offensive quality here, especially through the air. Only you would claim Holt isn't productive when the numbers clearly show he is.  Is he able to score 10 TDs a year? No.   Is he still that fast? No.  Can he still run great routes, use his hands well, his experience and his savvy to get open? Yes. Is he a professional? Yes. The offensive coordinator, to his defense in 2009, didn't really have weapons past Moss and Welker.   Watson never made himself a weapon for whatever reason. It may have been more nagging injuries for him and/or lack of faith because he dropped so many easy balls. Some guy named Julian Edelman was given plenty of rein last year and he did quite well for a guy under BB who doesn't "trust" rookies. So did some guy named Sebastian Vollmer who dominated Dwight Freeney and played both Tackle positions. It has nothing to do with how long you have been playing, it has to do with a skill set, how effective you are and production. Thanks for playing today.
    Posted by russgriswold

awww, it appears i upset the little man

A. i dont disagree with anything you said about Holt...but because he lost his speed and ability for double digit TD's...he is no longer the same player he was...do you understand that or do we need to go back to kindergarten?
    B. and aside from a 3rd WR who was never used, your weapons have only changed names...if he uses your 3 headed TE's like he has in the past...then it wont matter if dallas clark...errr...aaron hernandez is any good because he wont have been used
    C. edelman is a nice player but when welker returns, i dont think edelman will be getting very much PT either
    D. ill play anyday you want...the pats have regressed and if their playcalling doesnt take a step forward, the offense will be inconsistent, again...have a nice day

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

This can not be done, we have not even seen a 2010 pre season game yet or training camp so this is not a question we should be answering right now.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Welcome Killa to the new world order where teams are granted superbowl championships before the first real pratice has even commenced. It really is a a shame the Pats lost to the Jets in the Superbowl to be played next year, isn't it?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The thread is totally speculative to begin with and then it turns into a golden flow contest - sheesh guys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots : I think it's funny you don't see playcalling and personnel as inclusive concepts, yet you brag about the Dolphins passing game now that it has Brandon Marshall in it. You're a hypocrite. NEWSFLASH: The QB of the New England Patriots is Tom Brady. He can run this team to 9 wins, minimum, in his sleep. Edelman will play the Gaffney role, if Welker can play in his slot positin this sesason, a role they did not have filled last year. You jusy don't get it. You have this thing where you supplant logic and facts with wishful thinking because you think the Dolphins are leapfrogging NE in the division. You should be more concerned with Dansby learning the 3-4.
    Posted by russgriswold

show me where i brag about the phins passing game? brandon marshall should help a young qb is all i have said...because aside from that...we didnt really improve in that area at all...i have some hopes for turner from USC to emerge...and im happy but hardly thrilled with bess, camarillo and hartline

newsflash...to be human is to be hypocritical

and really? TB is the QB? the same guy who lead the team to 10 wins last year while awake? and played awful in the playoff dismantling? that TB?

and where have i said the phins are leapfrogging NE? its not there chief...i think the pats, jets and phins will all be close and probably within a game of each other when all is said and done...well guess what? so do most football fans around the world...

and what can i say? im not all the worried about a pro-bowl caliber MLB learning how to play next to another pretty darn good line backer in channing crowder...not one iota

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots : "Dismantling"? Sort of when Miami shut out NE in 2004, 21-0? You are kidding yourself if you think patting your team on the back with having no 3rd WR, no TE and a broken fiinger and ribbed QB under center and winning by 1 point is somehow a stepping stone victory.
    Posted by russgriswold

at this point in their career...id take bess over holt...heck id probably take hartline over holt...and while im not thrilled with the TE situation...i dont think fasano is all that bad and i like the potential that joey haynos has

as for the part about brady being injured...well yesterday didnt you point out that injuries are never an excuse? of course i could point that by that game, the phins had already lost pennington, brown, will allen and another few for the SEASON

and lastly...a win, is a win, is a win...or do you go around complaining that the pats won each of their super bowls by a combined 9 points? see...the point differential doesnt matter at the end of the day when you still LOSE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

It's not an excuse, but him breaking a rib in that game clearly affected his play. I don't really care what happened last year, but I know the team is 13-3 by not laying down in Houston, choosing a FG in Miami or making one in Denver. You're the one pointing to a 1 pt win at home acting like you won a SB. You called it a "dismantling".
    Posted by russgriswold

yet you sit here and use his injury as an excuse...pathetic

and yet you forget the almost lost to the bills on opening night in which the only way you won was a bone-headed move by a rookie kick-returner...

point being...a loss is a loss is a loss...just as a win is a win is a win...doesnt matter if it was a half a point or a million and half points, you finished with less in the end and LOST...and it wasnt a super bowl game...but it was a division game(which mean more) and by winning, kept our season alive for another week...i get excited when my football team wins...sue me...and every other fan of the NFL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots : How is stating a fact the broke a rib in the 1st quarter of that game an excuse? You called it a "dismantling" and your team one by ONE point at home. Please use a dictionary and look for a better word.  That was hardly a "dismantling".  Try Miami eeked out a win at home by 1 point. Don't backpedal. You said it was a "dismantling". It was more of NE handing Miami the game by not choosing a FG over going for it on 4th down. Congrats.
    Posted by russgriswold

please show me where i said the phins dismantled the pats by 1 point...im sure its not there and you know why? because i said thats what the ravens did to the pats in the playoff game...or is reading comprehension not big on your list?

and are you suggesting that BB is fallable? that he made the wrong decision? but i thought he was the greatest coach ever? who couldnt possibly be beaten by such a low-life coach like tony sparano? right? right?

.....wrong as usual

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Jimmy,  Here's my two cents worth. 

In Response to Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots : its not the rushing rank that im down on, but how they did it...everything is spread formation...IMO, they needed a power runner and this is an area they didnt upgrade.
    You only have so many draft picks and the Pats did a good job of mending the fences.  They were going to miss on something and it turned out to be the RB spot.  Upon reflection they really weren't pressed to select an RB.  The Pats had higher priorities.  The RB situation should get a good look at next year...I hope!
    ..same goes for their offensive line and now mankins isnt happy
    Mankins should kick his agent in the nuts.  This is very stupid on his part.  He will never recoup the losses from this bone headed move. Thankfully, it's just the guard position that's messed up a bit here.
    and its not that im saying anything bad about the WR corps but holt isnt the player he was even 3 years ago...and i dont know enough about tate or price to say anything positive or negative...but they are rookie WR's and the learning curve is high for almost all of em
    Holt will be great as a #3 WR.  He admits to losing a step but he is also one of the best route runners out there.  You have way underestimated him.  Tate has a year of the play book under his belt.  I don't think he liked being yanked and told to sit out the rest of the season last year.  He'll get some playing time.  This also allows Moss to get a blow from time to time.  Both Tate and Price will be backups that will see some playing time.  This is a good situation for them as they will not be thrown out there.  They can watch and be coached. 
    and come on crusty...
    He is a tad crusty isn't he!
    its not the pats havent had alot of options in the past to work with...it wholely depends on your offensive coordinator's willingness to use his weapons...something that he has chose not to do in the past...and its not like BB is world renowned for his trust of rookies and rewarding them with alot of PT either
    Two years ago Brady was hurt.  Last year he didn't have anything to work with.  He ended the season with a hurt Moss, no TEs and no 3rd WR.  Three years ago is when Brady broke all the records.  I'm in strong disagreement here.
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'm just getting caught up on this thread, but I have to admit, we should start selling tickets to this thing. Thanks Russ, JimmyJack and PatStats for keeping it fun to read and interesting. I nearly pissed myself reading the thread. 

Ok, on to the meat. The question should be..."Based on our current roster as compared to last years roster, do the 2010 Pats have the potential to be better than the 2009 Pats?". (I'll for one minute forget strength of schedule, and anything that the Jets or Fins may have done in the offseason, or how good/bad they might be)...On paper, based on personnel, the answer is undoubtedly yes...The 2010 Pats have potential to be better than the 2009 Pats. Looking across the roster it is hard or near impossible to argue this fact. 

With so many rookies having an extra year in the system, and no significant losses in personnel, plus the FA acquisitions, and good draft, I don't see how the 2010 Pats could be worse. Now, if you consider strength of schedule, opponents, what the rest of the AFC East did, etc., etc. etc....being better on paper doesn't mean they will win more or lose more games. It simply means the potential to win more is there, and this I firmly believe. 

QB-Same (another year removed from injury + more offensive weapons)
    WR - UPGRADE (legit 3rd, 4th and 5th WRs) even with Welker out. 
    TE - UPGRADE (better run blocking a given, passing potential is there as well to be much, much better)
    OL - EVEN/SLIGHT UPGRADE (depends on what happens with Mankins...But Vollmer and other young guys have another year in the system)
    RB - EVEN (same group, a year older. Maroney in contract year..plays big)

DL - EVEN (loss of Green not a big deal, Warren and Lewis fill in and contribute..Brace steps up, VW is the leader and plays like it)
    ILB - UPGRADE (nasty group that has potential to lay the wood...Forget running up the middle)
    OLB - EVEN (until I see production from Cunningham, Crable and others, the only sure bets are Burgess and TBC...Burgess has another year in the system, so although he is a year older, he is a year system smarter)
    CB - UPGRADE (same starters, Butler another year, McCourty upgrade in nickel/dime, Wilhite can finally focus on the slot)
    Safety - UPGRADE (Chung steps up big time, Meriweather plays well.)

On paper, the 2010 Pats are better. Please argue with the above. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Positions I like better in 2010

QB- Brady doesn't have the rust of a year off, if he can avoid other injuries he'll put up better numbers.

TE - Not to hard to replace Watson. Crumpler blocking, Gronkowski and Hernandez catching even though these two kids haven't played it's hard to see them any worse then Ben.

ILB - Mayo stays healthy, we have a better rotation at least with Guyton, Spikes, McKenzie. My 2 cents Spikes wins the job and becomes a force with Mayo in the middle.

CB - Bodden was very good, Butler year two and add McCourty which should push Wilhite to the 4th CB will be a nice upgrade.

Special Teams - Hanson just plained sucked. Adding McCourty and if Tate can get on the field should add some major help to kickoff and punt returns.

Coaching - O'Brien year two hopefully better, do like the fact Pees is gone and BB is going to have more of a role in the defense.

Break even

WR - Better 3rd receiver with Holt over Sam Aiken. Welker will probably miss the first 6 weeks of the season think Edlemann will help but won't quite be a WW. Moss another year older but still very good.

RB - Maroney will hit his 750-800 yards, see if Morris and Taylor can avoid missing about a combined full season which should help. Faulk one of the best at 3rd down in the game. Green-Ellis for insurance.

DE - This maybe a improvement figuring Wilfork and Ty Warren were both hurt end of last year. Plus it shouldn't be hard to replace Jarvis Green's number's with G. Warren, Lewis, Wright, Pryor.

OLB - Banta Cain back with Burgess. Like D-line could be improvement based on Burgess progression at OLB and what Cunningham show's his rookie season.

S - Merriweather back who I'd like to see at FS with Chung at SS. Again like the last two positions Chung takes off and this area is better.

Downgrades

OLine - Based on Mankins situation we'll see musical chairs at Oline. Positive Vollmer should be a everyday starter. Hopefully another year older Neal can stay healthy, and maybe just maybe Mankins is back. Light and Koppen another year older and seem to be in decline.

Overall the Pats have a higher ceiling with the youth. Never count out BB and Brady and my prediction 1st in the East at 11-5 getting to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Learning year for a young D, but look out in 2011 (if there's football) and definately 2012 this team will find it's way back to hoisting a Lombardi trophy soon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm with wizards on QB.  Brady wasn't quite Brady in 2009 but he will be in 2010.  The backup QB guy is apparently superb for a backup.

TE was bad in '09, will be good.  Not excellent.  Gronk needs a year to catch up.

WR was excellent in 09, managed to get better, Welker is ready for September, and so this year the WR position violates community standards for undressing defenses in prime time when kids are watching.  Think about that Tennessee game!

RB was middle-of-road and not deep in 09, this year it's the same only a bit worse.  Ugh.  Maybe BB is hoping he can hire a free agent.

OL was excellent.  They're still good without Mankins.  I give a 30% chance that Jonathan Kraft will re-sign Mankins, or can possibly get anything for him.  I'm rarely negative about the Patriots, but this once I think the front office miscalculated.

DL was really missing Seymour but still was pretty good. Same this year.  Brace might get a little better.  Meh.

OLB was poor except for Banta-Cain, Cunningham is good so far, Burgess is better.  Big move up to good!

ILB was fair, was Mayo playing injured?  This year, up to quite good.  Spikes is hot so far.

Safety was good, heading for very good with Chung.

CB was fair, is now good and is deeper with Butler's second year and with McCourty apparently able to start in September.

The new punter got that position from genuinely bad to good.  Zoltan once punted 70 yards in the air last year.  Otherwise special teams are probably a wash.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

It seems most people are not only drinking the "Kool Aide", they are making it as well.

It all starts at the top. Can Obrien call a decent game or will the whole league know our game plan after 5 weeks? BB has not even given him the title of OC even though he is the de facto OC. Why is that? Does he have confidence in him? I think he gives OBrien this year and if he doesn't get it he's gone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It's hard to say this Pats team, if healthy, isn't better than last years. 

QB- Improvement; Brady wasn't right. He wasn't the precise, accurate, clutch QB we know and love. He was coming off a season long injury that kept him out of Football mode for a year. Topple with the fact that he played with broken fingers, ribs, worrying about a pregnant wife and a lack of a third read it's writing on the walls that he'll get better. 

RB - Stall; same group. When Morris and Taylor were healthy they were good. They'll need to stay healthy for the RB corps to be considered "improved". 

WR - Improved; Moss, Edelman/Welker, Tate/Price/Holt. The Pats have a third read this year. Every other fan base knows what Brady looks like when his favorite WR is the open one (3SBs). 

TEs - Improved; I loved Watson, but he had stone hands. Great hands are exactly what Gronkowski and Hernandez are know for. 

OL - Regressed; Mankins is a cheap bum, but he's a good LG. Without him the line is taking a step back. 

DL - Improved; We didn't have a RDE last season, but with Warren, Lewis, Wright and Brace competing over that spot it will show an improvement. 

ILB - Improved; All we had last year was Mayo and Guyton. This year we have Mayo, Guyton, Spikes and McKenzie. They now have depth at the LB position. 

OLB - Vastly improved; It's the same group, but with Burgess and Ninkovich having a year's experience it has improved. Topple with the fact that Crable MIGHT see some action, and team cancer Adalius Thomas was cut loose the position has improved. 

CBs - Improved; Bodden is a solid CB, McCourty and Butler fighting for the other they are better outside CBs than Wilhite. The position can only improve with Wilhite off the field. 

S- Improved; Sanders beat out McGowan and Chung last year because they were both rookies to the scheme. They are both better safeties than Sanders and now have a year under the system. They'll fight like dogs for the starting job and competition brings out the best in people. 

I have the Pats with a 12-4 record. Brady throws leads the league in TDs with 42 and the Pats get a playoff bye. Let's hope O'brien gets better at calling the plays and Belichick knocks off that going for it on 4th down stuff. 

It' going to be a great season. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

It seems most people are not only drinking the "Kool Aide", they are making it as well. It all starts at the top. Can Obrien call a decent game or will the whole league know our game plan after 5 weeks? BB has not even given him the title of OC even though he is the de facto OC. Why is that? Does he have confidence in him? I think he gives OBrien this year and if he doesn't get it he's gone.
    Posted by NYC

Agreed lack of 2nd half adjustments on offense prevented this team from earning  13-14 wins last year. That's why I put hope by O'Brien has hit the filmroom all off-season and has figured it out. Otherwise if this year is like last year he's history.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

With all the talk of players differences between 2009 and 2010, I also concerned with how much the coaching staff improves, in terms of on-the-field game managment from last year to this year.  I've never seen the Belichick Patriots so unorganized and ill-prepared as they were last year. I am speaking specifically of not having plays in to Brady in time causing the Patriots to either take a delay of game penalty or blow a timeout.  This was a recurring problem throughout the seaon.  You could see how frustrated Brady was with the whole situation last year. 
    Also, too many questionable challenges that also left us with less timeouts and challenges. 
    And finally, 2nd half game adjustments, a staple of the previous year's teams, was not evident last year. It seems as though the Pats needed one whole week to prepare and have a decent 1st half but could not adjust their plan at half-time to counter what our opponent was doing to us. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

One of the Pats' weaknesses last year was that they lacked the ability to score in the red zone.  They managed many time consuming drives that ended with field goals instead of TDs.  Having a 3rd or 4th receiving option in the red zone should make it easier to score.

I seem to recall Galloway either being open and dropping the ball or making the wrong cut to the ire of Tom Brady on several occasions.  After that, in the red zone the ball hardly ever went to a WR other than Moss or Welker and rarely to Watson.  This year, the opposition might actually have to cover all the receivers.

I am especially excited about the possibility of throwing to Gronk at the goal line.  It will be next to impossible for a DB to cover all 6'5 1/2", 265 lbs. of him.  Improved red zone production alone can make this team better than last year's.

On the other side of the ball, I can't imagine the D taking a step backwards.  The Pats absorbed the big hit last year in losing Seymour, Bruschi, Harrison, and Vrabel. This year they lost Thomas and Green.  Green has been adequately replaced and since Thomas all but disappeared last year, anybody-but-Thomas will be an improvement.

I think the Pats are solid up the middle and the secondary should be more settled and improved.  At OLB, I think that TBC's and Burgess's best skill is rushing the passer.  The real question is can they or someone else set the edge on running plays and can they drop into coverage.  I don't see how that can be worse than last year.  As it was the Pats D was fairly stingy in the points department and I see that improving.

I could be wrong, but considering that the Pats won a Superbowl with Russ Hochstein at LG, I think the Pats can absorb his loss if necessary. Even with Kaczur at LG, I see the O-line as a strength.

At times last year, I thought Brady looked uncharacteristically unsure of himself at times.  One has to think that his injury was the cause.  I have to agree with the others who have noted that a resurgent Tom Brady alone makes this year's Pats a much better team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Positions I like better in 2010 QB- Brady doesn't have the rust of a year off, if he can avoid other injuries he'll put up better numbers. TE - Not to hard to replace Watson. Crumpler blocking, Gronkowski and Hernandez catching even though these two kids haven't played it's hard to see them any worse then Ben. ILB - Mayo stays healthy, we have a better rotation at least with Guyton, Spikes, McKenzie. My 2 cents Spikes wins the job and becomes a force with Mayo in the middle. CB - Bodden was very good, Butler year two and add McCourty which should push Wilhite to the 4th CB will be a nice upgrade. Special Teams - Hanson just plained sucked. Adding McCourty and if Tate can get on the field should add some major help to kickoff and punt returns. Coaching - O'Brien year two hopefully better, do like the fact Pees is gone and BB is going to have more of a role in the defense. Break even WR - Better 3rd receiver with Holt over Sam Aiken. Welker will probably miss the first 6 weeks of the season think Edlemann will help but won't quite be a WW. Moss another year older but still very good. RB - Maroney will hit his 750-800 yards, see if Morris and Taylor can avoid missing about a combined full season which should help. Faulk one of the best at 3rd down in the game. Green-Ellis for insurance. DE - This maybe a improvement figuring Wilfork and Ty Warren were both hurt end of last year. Plus it shouldn't be hard to replace Jarvis Green's number's with G. Warren, Lewis, Wright, Pryor. OLB - Banta Cain back with Burgess. Like D-line could be improvement based on Burgess progression at OLB and what Cunningham show's his rookie season. S - Merriweather back who I'd like to see at FS with Chung at SS. Again like the last two positions Chung takes off and this area is better. Downgrades OLine - Based on Mankins situation we'll see musical chairs at Oline. Positive Vollmer should be a everyday starter. Hopefully another year older Neal can stay healthy, and maybe just maybe Mankins is back. Light and Koppen another year older and seem to be in decline. Overall the Pats have a higher ceiling with the youth. Never count out BB and Brady and my prediction 1st in the East at 11-5 getting to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Learning year for a young D, but look out in 2011 (if there's football) and definately 2012 this team will find it's way back to hoisting a Lombardi trophy soon.  
    Posted by Wizardsjag

i would say that this is a very fair assessment...im sorry pats fans but im having a hard time buying that they improved every position

also when taking into consideration the schedule's brutality...i dont think it would be much of a stretch at all to say the pats have a better, deeper football team but it might not reflect that in terms of wins this year