Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots

2010 team will be better

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots:
    In Response to Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots : i would say that this is a very fair assessment...im sorry pats fans but im having a hard time buying that they improved every position also when taking into consideration the schedule's brutality...i dont think it would be much of a stretch at all to say the pats have a better, deeper football team but it might not reflect that in terms of wins this year
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

That's just it, you're a Fish fan. You don't know where the Patriots looked weak last year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

The 2009 NE Patriots had no  IDENTITY .

In 2007 it was their " Us Against The World " mentality that defined them and helped make them great.

In 2008 it was the "No- Chance , No-Name Qb " taking the reins of the TB-less Pats and gutting out 11 Victorys .

2009 kicked off with 3 quarters of uninspired football against Buffalo , followed by  a dud in the Meadowlands .
    ( If it wasn't for that miraculous 4th quarter comeback ...the season would have started out just as it finished with ugly losses against the Texans and Ravens )

The rest of the 13 2009 games sandwiched in-between ran the gamut from euphoric ( Titans demolition ) , bizarre ( Colts 4th down )  ,and humiliating ( Saints MNF Massacre ).

The Pats overall play seemed to lack heart , passion , and sometimes even purpose .

Moral s u c k e d !

The best word that comes to mind to describe it is dud .

What made it seem worse was all the preseason hype  ... 
     Brady was back !
     Fred Taylor & Joey Galloway were onboard to spark the O !
     Derrick Burgess was snagged to terrorize opposing Qbs !
     Springs and Bodden would revamp the secondary !
     And the Draft brought in a slew of rookies to bring much needed youthful talent into the mix !

The 2009 Pats were like a big ol' awesome hunk of Firework that you carefully set up on the beach , called your friends over to help admire and then after you lit it ... fizzle -fizzle ....NOTHIN ' .

Here's hoping the 2010 version is composed of less hype riders and more "DO YOUR JOB-ers " .

iBwt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

The team - overall, is better than last years - at least on paper.  Too bad about the Welker injury in December (he shouldn't have been playing!!!!) - we could have had a full season of him this year.  On that note - you hope he can regain most of his mobility and the ability to run slants that make him so effective as a receiver.  Brady should have just as good - if not better year than last as he moves further away from his injury.  He also has more weapons that should make some clubs' secondaries quake in their boots.  If the young guys can relaize their potential and overachieve - I think it is realistic to think that the Pats will be a force - possibly all the way to the AFC final??  Think about it - with somewhat of a lesser squad last year - they were the first team last season to have their way with the Colts in November - until they blew it (again) in the 4th quarter. Until that brutal Monday night game in NO - they were looking pretty good.  This year will be better.  There is more depth.

In Response to Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots:
    It's offseason so of course there is talk of the patritos demise again- although the team is young, and there is all sorts of doom and gloom talk from the national media, i'm not sure at what position they are worse off at this year. The secondary will certainly get better. A year's experience for young players with mccourty an improved chung and wilhite playing the more suitable slot role. The LBs will almost certainly improve as well. burgess has another year, there might be something from crable, and cunningham and spikes will make some kind of impact. and mayo, hopefully, wont be injury-plagues When it comes to the line i think lewis and warren are an upgrade from what an injured jarvis green had to offer. on the offensive side of the ball, edelman improves, something will come  from tate and price, moss plays well in a contract year, and welker will prove productive eventualy. i expect the running game will only be better because- fred taylor looked pretty impressive when he was healthy the only spot you can put down as a downgrade is offensive line with mankins out. but, bottom line, besides the O-line- if mankins leaves- where do the 2010 patriots regress. the pats will certainly be a playoff team. and they are not going to lose all their road games (like they did in 09 with the exception of game 1) go PATS!
    Posted by sirpinochle

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Compare the 2009 Patriots with the 2010 Patriots : That's just it, you're a Fish fan. You don't know where the Patriots looked weak last year. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

well their rushing out of the spread wasnt bad...just enough to be effective...so i think the pats would have been wiser to add o-line help for the sake of the 4 headed RB tandom and Brady not taking as many big hits as he did last year

being able to pound the rock would also help to keep the defense fresh...and with the amount of youth on the defense...that would be a very good thing

but then again...i always thought the pats were a scarier team when they ran the ball effectively and brady did alot of play action passing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

CapFoxboro, I like your depiction of last years team,

The 2009 Pats were like a big ol' awesome hunk of Firework that you carefully set up on the beach , called your friends over to help admire and then after you lit it ... fizzle -fizzle ....NOTHIN ' .

The Pats were 12-2-2 at halftime last year, but fizzled out in too many games. This 2010 team has a nice mix of veterans and youth. I'm excited to watch them play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Upgrades

QB- For this team to get better it starts at the top and Tommy has been doing everything right this offseason. He has been questioned but no one is talking about how this man was just working in Boston for the past month and a half working his tail off and trying to pump up that young D. Brady knows that he cant do it by himself and that he needs the D and hes letting them know that. Overall Brady is coming into this season healthier than he has been the past 3 years. Hes an Iron Man but his injures took affect on him the past couple years and no one seems to want to say that. From the high ankle sprain in the superbowl, to the Sammy Morris kick in the leg, to him blowing out his knee, then the ribs and the ring finger its been tough but Tommy is healthy again and the last time that happened we made it to the superbowl. Skys the limit.

TE- Ben Stonehands Watson is gone and now Alge Crumpler, Gronk, and Hernandez are here. I must say I love the revamp and most of these guys should be for years to come. Gronk is a do it all TE, Crumpler is a leader in his own and a team player, Hernandez will always break the first tackle. Good job Bill you got the TEs you wanted now put it together on the field.

WR- This group was terrible last year. Moss,Welker, Aiken? Dear god I feel bad for Brady looking back at who his third option was and it makes sense why Moss didnt get the ball as much last year and Welker did. Now with it being Moss, Edelman, and Tate this group is going to be amazing. Taylor Price was drafted and is a great prospect, while Tate the Pats took a flyer on and so far it looks like its about to pay off because Brady is basically taking him under his wing. Moss will be Moss, and Edelman will be just fine who has been working with Wes, and Troy Brown this past offseason.

LB- Just the overall group is better. This is the closest thing to 2004-05 group in a long time. The Pats have been searching for a TED LB for the past 6 years and they drafted one last year in McKenzie and another one in Spikes. Tyrone blew his knee out last year and Spikes was just drafted.  Tyrone is fully healthy and thankfully the impact of a LB and an ACL recovery isnt as hard as other positions. Tyrones a tank and so is Spikes. Mayo is going to be spectacular this year just ask Tedy he said it last year and then Mayo had a MCL sprain and wasnt ever 100% last year and just hit "80%" during the Ravens playoff game. The OLBs in Cunningham, Crable, and Tully look great as well. Im expecting alot out of Cunningham and Crable this year. Just call it a hunch.

Secondary- Another year together and another year just gelling as a unit. Wilhite is going to be restricted to the slot this year thank god looks like Bill learned his lesson from Hobbs. Devin is a shutdown corner at its finest and basically a better version of Ty Law for this team, Darius Butler is going to be an amazing corner you want a playmaker thats Darius he can cover and if he gets the pick its a wrap. Brandon Meriweather every year just improves and this year I dont expect any mental lapses as he probably spent another year with Ed Reed trying to pick his brain. Chung is going to shock some people as well. Im a bit worried about Leigh Bodden this year since he got his deal he has been looking for quite some time I just hope his play continues because he overall played well but the pass rush just didnt help him at all last year.

Downgrade

OL- Mankins is probably gone, and then Sea Bass is playing on the right moving the useless Kaczur to guard. We havent seen him play guard in years. Lets see how that works out but so far I am a bit shaky on this. Brady thankfully has the best pocket awareness in the league.

RB-Sorry when we dont upgrade from Maroney I am going to say its a downgrade. Another year of Faulk, Sammy getting older and it just doesnt get better. This and DE next year is a position they need to upgrade.

Staying put

DL-Meh Gerald Warren cant be worse than Jarvis Green. Mike Wright is still here and VW has his eyes on the prize of getting a second ring. 

Derrick Burgess- Yes I didnt put him with the other LBs because I just think this guy is done and the Pats had to go back to him because they have no idea what the heck they will get from Crable or Cunningham and have to get a fall back option. I think Burgess is just not the option for this team. This guy was laughing with Wilhite when the Pats lost that Colts game. Dudes a bum.

Overall I am not worried about the Dolphins, Jets, or Bills for that matter. Brandon Marshall has really never dominated the Pats and last year Shawn Springs was one of the guys who gave up on certain plays during that game leading to him getting benched. Holmes isnt a top 10 or 15 WR for that matter and is a bum. The Bills have no one and the only real talented guy on their offense is a rookie. Tom is still the best QB in the division and will destroy em this year.

The 09 team had problems because of Adalius and he made that locker room split between the Toms/Randys/Faulks with the Adalius/Springs so it was tough because both wanted to approach things differently.  This 10 team has one thing on their mind and thats winning. I think when the seasons over and all is said and done we should bring this up again and compare the 07, 09, and 10 teams. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

At times last year, I thought Brady looked uncharacteristically unsure of himself at times.  One has to think that his injury was the cause.  I have to agree with the others who have noted that a resurgent Tom Brady alone makes this year's Pats a much better team.
    Posted by TampaPete

Brady will be a little bit better this year. Takes a while to heal from knee surgery. His timing and mechanics were obviously different last year - some attributed this to not following through on his throw; which makes sense since weight wasn't being transferred to his left leg - the injured side.

However, even though the OL did a good job preventing sacks - Brady was hit/hurried at a high rate last year. IMHO, the passing game needs to be complemented by a decent running game, play action, better play calling on both sides of the ball, better punter. Brady needs to go back to hitting the open man vs. forcing to welker or moss. Red Zone offense and defensive woes need to improve.

So, is 2010 better than 2009? Not yet....

Sections
Shortcuts