Comparing BB's drafting to the competition.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Comparing BB's drafting to the competition.

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Babe, that is not objective comparison, it isselective using your own critieria.

Independent analysis using consistent criteria is contained here (yes, I know you don't like this one):

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/decade-the-making-the-ultimate-nfl-draft-grades/2419/

They have no ax to grind, sir.  And regardless of your youth, you do.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm . . . they say BB's best pick was Asante Samuel . . . and even Belichick didn't think he was worth re-signing. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, signing asante to a 6 year 60 million wasn't a good move for the future of your football team. As he showed in philly, he wasnt a corner stone player. Great move drafting him, and great move letting him walk.

[/QUOTE]

Sure . . . the future was definitely bright with Ellis Hobbs and Jonathan Wilhite and Darius Butler out there instead. 

[/QUOTE]

Come on, prolate, that comment really isn't like you.  Asante Samuel had his talents as a ball hawk but he was not the best cover corner around and was a horrible tackler.  He wanted to get paid big money and he went where he could get it.  To suggest that BB dropped the ball by not re-signing Asante is inaccurate imo.

With respect Hobbs, Wilhite and Butler, they were misses and everyone has acknowledged that. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, replacing Assante for the good of the team or contract situation is not the issue, unless you replace him with Wilhites and Wheatlys and Deltha O'neals and countless other no-talent hacks that eat up roster spots and more cap space than it would have taken to retain that "best pick".

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HomerHead. Show HomerHead's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

Tom Brady owes his entire career to Bill Belichick (and Bob Kraft) for providing the environment he plays in.

Tom Brady was a decent college QB.

Billy owes his entire career to Tom Brady (and Bob Kraft) for providing the environment he plays in.

Billy wasn't even a decent head coach before the Patriots.

Billy Greatest GM ever though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to Babe the 49ers have drafted the best since 2006.  Well according to PFR the CarAV of the Patriots drafts from 2008-2012 was higher than the 9ers.  I guess Babe thinks BB has been the best drafter in the NFL since 2008.

[/QUOTE]

Plenty of teams have drafted better since 2008 as well. Crash and burn.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In 2007 they used their 2nd pick (plus a 7th rounder) to get Welker, and their 4th pick to get Moss. I'm guessing Moss' value for the 2007 season alone was greater than any other player in that draft, and his 3 full seasons here outdid anyone as well. And Welkers value for the 6 seasons he was here was probably as good as just about anyone chosen that year. Do your statistics include these? 

[/QUOTE]

Are we going to subtract picks we got for trading away players too, or is this street one way?

[/QUOTE]

Your criteria was to only look at players they got in certain rounds of certain years of the draft. My point is that if they used the picks to obtain other players who were of greater value and use to the team than anyone they could have got during those rounds in the draft. I see that as a positive, a good move by the general manager. Your criteria appears to punished them for that. I guess they could have drafted guys in those roundss that might have made their CarAV rating (whatever that is) higher so they would look better on your list, but would not have made the team as strong as using the picks to get Moss and Welker. 

[/QUOTE]

Im just being funny here but who is to say that Moss and Wes were great pics? Sure they allowed us to go 16-0 but they also allowed us to be cocky and lose a SB. Nothing has ever come from it. I didnt like 2007. Now I may be in the minority and I dont think BB would have got it right anyway but who is to say two defensive studs used with those pics wouldnt have set us up better?  I mean all we got was broken records, stats but NO championships. If THATS the measure, why do we think those were great pics?  Thats what changed us to a score first and sit back kind of team. Its done nothing for us

[/QUOTE]

Any logic that paints the acquisitions of randy moss and wes welker as anything less then great moves is ignorant at best.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

Babe, that is not objective comparison, it is highly selective using your own critieria.

Independent analysis using consistent criteria is contained here (yes, I know you don't like this one):

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/decade-the-making-the-ultimate-nfl-draft-grades/2419/

[/QUOTE]

Not sure you realize this but that evaluation covered the 10 years up to 2010 and was written in 2011, right after that awesome 2010 draft***.  This is 2014.  There were a number of good picks 2001-2005, that accounted for that grade, which is also faulty because there were no impact players drafted in 2006 as it is actually rated 5th in all time draft busts for all teams, all years.

Point being that if you shift the years to the last 10, I'm not sure you get the same results.  If you actually look at the picks in the past 5 years compared to the past 10 years there is a significant drop in results.

The make up of this current team is more based in the result of the past 5 years drafts, not the prior 10.

That is also not taking into account things like the 2010 year*** being a highly rated draft, but when you look at it 3 years later, how good was it?  Who is still contributing?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Babe, that is not objective comparison, it isselective using your own critieria.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm . . . they say BB's best pick was Asante Samuel . . . and even Belichick didn't think he was worth re-signing. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, signing asante to a 6 year 60 million wasn't a good move for the future of your football team. As he showed in philly, he wasnt a corner stone player. Great move drafting him, and great move letting him walk.

[/QUOTE]

Sure . . . the future was definitely bright with Ellis Hobbs and Jonathan Wilhite and Darius Butler out there instead. 

[/QUOTE]

Come on, prolate, that comment really isn't like you.  Asante Samuel had his talents as a ball hawk but he was not the best cover corner around and was a horrible tackler.  He wanted to get paid big money and he went where he could get it.  To suggest that BB dropped the ball by not re-signing Asante is inaccurate imo.

With respect Hobbs, Wilhite and Butler, they were misses and everyone has acknowledged that. 

[/QUOTE]

Actually that is a typical prolate comment. It meets his agenda that BB doesn't know talent. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Babe, that is not objective comparison, it is highly selective using your own critieria.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure you realize this but that evaluation covered the 10 years up to 2010 and was written in 2011, right after that awesome 2010 draft***.  This is 2014.  There were a number of good picks 2001-2005, that accounted for that grade, which is also faulty because there were no impact players drafted in 2006 as it is actually rated 5th in all time draft busts for all teams, all years.

Point being that if you shift the years to the last 10, I'm not sure you get the same results.  If you actually look at the picks in the past 5 years compared to the past 10 years there is a significant drop in results.

The make up of this current team is more based in the result of the past 5 years drafts, not the prior 10.

That is also not taking into account things like the 2010 year*** being a highly rated draft, but when you look at it 3 years later, how good was it?  Who is still contributing?

[/QUOTE]

Those early years all included Pioli. The years I chose mostly did not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am aware of the period covered but, unfortunately, I've not been able to locate any more recent objective evaluation of how NFL teams have done in the draft.  I'd truly be interested if someone can locate such a comparison.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Considering the range of years, is this "cherry" picking to make a point BB is not doing well?  Seems that is the case given the comments about drafts picks using a 2008 to present range.

That's like saying the Pats haven't won anything since 2005.  What does one mean by "anything"?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually that is a typical prolate comment. It meets his agenda that BB doesn't know talent. 

[/QUOTE]

I never said BB doesn't "know" talent.  I said he has a particular style that has both upsides and downsides.  The upsides are a team that consists of players who complement each other well and play well as a team, that has great depth, that is very flexible and adaptable, and that rarely suffers from cap problems.  The downside is a lack of elite individual talent and sometimes quite large gaps in even average talent in some positions. Belichick's approach is great if you are aiming for consistent quality and competitiveness.  If you want to produce a truly dominant team, though, I think you need to value individual talent just a bit more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I am aware of the period covered but, unfortunately, I've not been able to locate any more recent objective evaluation of how NFL teams have done in the draft.  I'd truly be interested if someone can locate such a comparison.

[/QUOTE]

Jan 30th 2013.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Whos-been-doing-the-best-job-of-drafting.html

• Expectations for the Patriots have been high despite their typical late drafting position
       -Expectation was 4th in 10-year review and 1st in 5-year review
       -High number of total and third round draft choices

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Considering the range of years, is this "cherry" picking to make a point BB is not doing well?  Seems that is the case given the comments about drafts picks using a 2008 to present range.

That's like saying the Pats haven't won anything since 2005.  What does one mean by "anything"?

[/QUOTE]

I doubt a serious case can be made that examining 7 years is cherry picking. That's a whole bunch of years and before that Pioli was a large factor.

It could be 8 years if 2013 was included, but I doubt the 5, 5, 4, 2, 1 BB got in 2013 would change a whole lot in the results.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hate that I clicked on this link, Babe knows nothing about football. He knows everything about endless ranting!

[/QUOTE]

The great mystery here is why I haven't put you on ignore sooner. You must have not been posting much in the last several weeks that I've been putting worthless posters who provide nothing intelligent here on ignore. Fixed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Jan 30th 2013.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Whos-been-doing-the-best-job-of-drafting.html

So you claim to support an evaluation that puts BB as a top 5 drafter in the past 10 years and a top 10 drafter in the past 5 years yet you think he is the worst GM in the league and should be fired.  I love this board.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Following is the Muzwell Ratio, a complicated ranking system that attempts to meld all of the critical team building elements into an easy to understand mathematical equation. 

Here are the results since 2000, the year Belichick became Patriots GM/HC:

1. New England .728

2-32 Everybody else.

In case you're wondering, the ratio takes the number of games won in the applicable time frame and divides it by the total games played. Quite remarkable for its sheer simplicity, taking a complicated mathematical problem and reducing it to a number that even a Jets fan can understand.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I never said BB doesn't "know" talent.  I said he has a particular style that has both upsides and downsides.  The upsides are a team that consists of players who complement each other well and play well as a team, that has great depth, that is very flexible and adaptable, and that rarely suffers from cap problems.  The downside is a lack of elite individual talent and sometimes quite large gaps in even average talent in some positions. Belichick's approach is great if you are aiming for consistent quality and competitiveness.  If you want to produce a truly dominant team, though, I think you need to value individual talent just a bit more.

[/QUOTE]

Soooo signing more expensive guys will get you to "dominance" like seattle and their average 700k salary for a bunch of their stars? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

pezz, thanks for the link.  Helpful to have more current stuff.

Interesting that the Pats appear where they do in the 5-year and 10-year rankings.  Not really sure about that raw-data appendix.  Perhaps I'm not reading the entire piece carefully enough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I would love to know (how) those rankings are calculated showing the last 10 years and the last 5 years. If some of those teams are so highly ranked in their drafts (Dolphins, Cards, Browns, Bucs) shouldn't they be winning more?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Following is the Muzwell Ratio, a complicated ranking system that attempts to meld all of the critical team building elements into an easy to understand mathematical equation. 

Here are the results since 2000, the year Belichick became Patriots GM/HC:

1. New England .728

2-32 Everybody else.

In case you're wondering, the ratio takes the number of games won in the applicable time frame and divides it by the total games played. Quite remarkable for its sheer simplicity, taking a complicated mathematical problem and reducing it to a number that even a Jets fan can understand.

[/QUOTE]

Well if you look at drafted players who's 1st names start with the letter Q then BB is only average. You must have over looked that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Jan 30th 2013.

[/QUOTE]

So you claim to support an evaluation that puts BB as a top 5 drafter in the past 10 years and a top 10 drafter in the past 5 years yet you think he is the worst GM in the league and should be fired.  I love this board.

[/QUOTE]

Well, 9th is not the best and when you add in very little FA support, that lowers it drastically.

My problem is not being able to fix the D in the past 5-6 years and I think that is where you will find the highest amount of BUSTS, both in FA and the draft.

Also if you look at the expected ranking of #1 in the past 5 years, due to the sheer # of picks during that time, you can see a problem.  Trading down to pile up the picks, is not working, else they would actually be sitting in that #1 projection, rather than 9th.

The first 5 years they were ranked right where they should have been,  The past 5, not so much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

actually thats a good topic. Does BB know talent coming from College?? He hasnt been able to find a back until Ridley and his WRs that he drafted arent cutting it nor are his DBs. The thing is ONCE a player has some NFL FILM, BB is VERT GOOD at evaluating them as NFL players after seeing them vs NFL talent. This is where Carroll has the edge since he has a lot or recent college experience. You add to the fact that BBs scourts DO watch a lot of college football BUT are overidden(Chad Jackson), it all comes back to the arrogance of BB.

He doesnt do well taking a college players resume and determining how that players fits in the NFL.  NOw the expection is QBs, Tight Ends and Stud D.Lineman. I think BB is good at finding cant miss D players but other than that the proof is there. He traded for Dillon, Smith, Blount but never drafted a great back. He traded for Moss, Wes, Ocho but cant seem to draft a good WR. He traded for Talib but in 8 years has not been able to draft a starting CB. Carrol on the other hand has a plan he stick to, has found HIS guys and is getting the most out of them. He HAS traded for some DEs but thats  because he didnt rest on his laurels and added to a strenght he had already. Meanwhile we are extending Nink and keeping Buchanan and Bequette on the bench all year while our starters wear down.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would love to know (how) those rankings are calculated showing the last 10 years and the last 5 years. If some of those teams are so highly ranked in their drafts (Dolphins, Cards, Browns, Bucs) shouldn't they be winning more?

[/QUOTE]

No QB