Comparing BB's drafting to the competition.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Comparing BB's drafting to the competition.

In response to ATJ's comment:

Babe, that is not objective comparison, it is highly selective using your own critieria.

This is the problem my friend.

When presented with cold hard facts those of certain factions rankle and insist there has to have been some kind of foul play at work because otherwise their denial would be shattered.

And this digging in of heels despite the facts by those recalcitrant factions causes the objective persons here to become even more cold and merciless in their wielding of facts like a bludgeon.

See the trouble you homers cause?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANumber1Roy. Show ANumber1Roy's posts

I"m just looking forward to Belicheck trading up in the draft to draft the 15th Defensive Back in the past 7 years that becomes the next lockdown CB like Antonio Langham which Belicheck drafted in his Cleveland days. Can you imagine him getting that good of a quality CB that would be able to cover for 3 seconds instead of the normal 2 seconds the Patriots have gotten from all the CB's drafted and veterans brought in well past their prime on great deals. It'd give guys like Jake Bequett that extra second to become the next Jared Allen in a situational pass rush role. You figure in his third year he could easily jump up to 10 sacks cause that's what Belicheck draft picks do in their 3-4 years in the system. Belicheck has built this incredible team from the draft hitting on all these undrafted free agents the past 5 years that have become major role players. Belicheck being the best coach of all time makes these guys contributors so imagine if he didn't coach them how much more awesome this team could be. It's be like the reincarnation of Scott Zolak and Scott Secules along with Leonard Russell enroute to multiple Super Bowls. The Patriots would have won the last 4 Superbowl's if Brady backed up Zolak and Secules since they could have just ran the ball instead of worrying about Brady going in the shotgun with how well the O-Line has blocked for him in big games. We would have saw the Defense lead by Devin McCourty play that Pro Bowl Level Safety along with those lockdown CB's carry the team cause it wasn't them that gave up the game winning drives in both Superbowls lost. And now that they got this Lombardi guy that killed it in Cleveland the past few seasons drafting a 29 year old QB by trading up the first round while using a top 5 pick on Trent Richardson to have all that success in Cleveland you can only imagine how much better this draft class is gonna be now. If Patriot fans are lucky we may witness another draft day steal when Belicheck and Lombardi combine forces in drafting 3 players from rounds 2-4 that weren't projected to be drafted and get Tavon Wilson and Harmon like depth on the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Babe,

So what you are saying is that BB has been drafting 19 positions better than his actual drafting position. Thanks for confirming BB's drafting dominance over the rest of the NFL during that time!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Since we just completed another sparkling BB draft, I thought it would be appropriate to revive this for the homers. I'm betting they haven't bookmarked it. LMAO

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

And ... what was the draft value chart value for the teams draft picks in those first four rounds from 2006 onwards? I am guessing seeing as the Patriots have the best record in football during that time frame that the value of the actual picks was the lowest of all the teams listed.

Surprisingly they have done a lot better in drafting than the pick values would have indicated. I guess BB really is a genius! Thanks Babe for proving it.

I mean compared to AZ who has been picking at the top of each round for most of the last ten 8 years in your study, you would expect the Pats to be much worse.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Comparing BB's 10 best players picked (based on PFR's CarAV rating, rounds 1-4), from the 2006 to the 2012 draft, to the best 10 picks of the SB teams since 2006 and/or the teams that made the playoffs this year.

49ers 436

Packers 435

Ravens 433

Broncos 420

Saints 401

Panthers 390

Bengals 384

Chiefs 364

Steelers 347

Seahawks 326

Chargers 322

Eagles 307

BB 296

Cardinals 293

Giants 274

Bears 274

Colts 267

So BB comes in 13th out of the 17 teams compared. He has performed about the same as the Cardinals.

There's the facts, now let the homer spin begin.

We have seen this BS before. It is flawed in multiple ways. 10 picks in this many years is too small a sample. There is no adjustment for teams picking high each year and teams picking low each year. It also does not account for when we have traded down or out (which we have done). It does not reflect the picks given up for Welker or Moss for example. Nor trading away the first round pick NO used on Ingram.

Since the Pats pick lower than most if not all these teams over the course of the years in total they should have come in at 17 of 17. So if anything this INDICATES that MAYBE the Pats do better than their drafting position should allow. But it is too flawed to be a statistically viable measure.

But if it does indicate ANY possibility it is that the Pats did better than they should have. They should have ended up at 17.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Comparing BB's 10 best players picked (based on PFR's CarAV rating, rounds 1-4), from the 2006 to the 2012 draft, to the best 10 picks of the SB teams since 2006 and/or the teams that made the playoffs this year.

49ers 436

Packers 435

Ravens 433

Broncos 420

Saints 401

Panthers 390

Bengals 384

Chiefs 364

Steelers 347

Seahawks 326

Chargers 322

Eagles 307

BB 296

Cardinals 293

Giants 274

Bears 274

Colts 267

So BB comes in 13th out of the 17 teams compared. He has performed about the same as the Cardinals.

There's the facts, now let the homer spin begin.

But if it does indicate ANY possibility it is that the Pats did better than they should have. They should have ended up at 17.

[object HTMLDivElement]

So, you think "the greatest GM of all-time" should have come in 17th out of 17, eh? You're logic is comical.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

To believe that their calculation is meaningful is to believe the Pats have been mediocre during that time.  BB the GM knows exactly what BB the coach is looking for and what he needs for "his" type of team.  I'll accept these types of calculations when I see other teams doing better than we do year after year after year.  I don't buy the greatest GM of all time, but for crying out loud he deserves all the accolades he receives for putting together winning teams all these years.  No way I buy the theory that BB the coach does this despite BB the GM.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

I would love to know (how) those rankings are calculated showing the last 10 years and the last 5 years. If some of those teams are so highly ranked in their drafts (Dolphins, Cards, Browns, Bucs) shouldn't they be winning more?

None of those teams have QBs which is the One thing you HAVE to have. The argument here is IF we have the Best QB and Coach Combo AND the Best GM...How the h3ll havent we won a SB in over 10 years!?!?! 

Its funny how the BB apologists never factor in that those other teams dont have QBs. If BB never drafted Brady, how many Rings does he have with the Pats? Is he still a Coach here?  He went 5-11 with Bledsoe. I love BB as a coach, but I despise his stubborness at times and his frugality as a GM in Bradys last couple years as a Great QB. Outside of that, I DO like that our team is always in the hunt and we win alot. Take the good with the bad I guess.

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Babe, that is not objective comparison, it is highly selective using your own critieria.

Independent analysis using consistent criteria is contained here (yes, I know you don't like this one):

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/decade-the-making-the-ultimate-nfl-draft-grades/2419/

They have no ax to grind, sir.  And regardless of your youth, you do.

Odd to be in a position of defending Babe,  but he is talking about a specific (more recent) time period where the chff analysis goes back to the superbowl years.  Data and stats can be cherry-picked but the truth is likely somewhere in the middle.  

As for this years draft , who tf knows until sometime next year...?  but one  almost certainty is that your 2nd rounder has a 99% probability of not seeing the field in the real games.  That is a bummer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I would love to know (how) those rankings are calculated showing the last 10 years and the last 5 years. If some of those teams are so highly ranked in their drafts (Dolphins, Cards, Browns, Bucs) shouldn't they be winning more?

None of those teams have QBs which is the One thing you HAVE to have. The argument here is IF we have the Best QB and Coach Combo AND the Best GM...How the h3ll havent we won a SB in over 10 years!?!?! 

Its funny how the BB apologists never factor in that those other teams dont have QBs. If BB never drafted Brady, how many Rings does he have with the Pats? Is he still a Coach here?  He went 5-11 with Bledsoe. I love BB as a coach, but I despise his stubborness at times and his frugality as a GM in Bradys last couple years as a Great QB. Outside of that, I DO like that our team is always in the hunt and we win alot. Take the good with the bad I guess.

I guess my definition of a Homer is incorrect.  I always imagine a homer being someone that thinks their mediocre team is winning the SB this year, or that their mediocre coach is great.  For example, any Jets fan thinking they will win the SB this year is a homer.  Any Jets fans thinking Rex is the best coach in the NFL is a homer.  How can one be a homer for thinking one of the NFL's best teams being led by a HoF coach with a HoF QB is great?

Could you be the opposite of a BB apologist?  You chose to mention how BB went 5-11 with Bledsoe but neglected to mention that was BB's 1st year as coach of the Patriots.  Nor did you mention he went 11-5 with Cassel.  You correctly pointed out that we haven't won a SB in 10 years but failed to point out that we were at least in the SB during that time, the most recent in 2011.  Were it not for 2 Eli game winning drives we would not be having this conversation.

I understand how winning the SB is viewed as the only true mark of success.  It's not truly the only mark of success though.  I looked at the last 10 SB winners and I wouldn't want to trade places with any of them.  I and many others would rather be in the thick of it every year than win a SB one year and miss the playoffs another year.

But really, how can anyone be a homer when they are a fan of one of the NFL's best teams?  How can anyone be an apologist for a future HoF coach who has given us 13 consecutive winning seasons, 5 SB appearances, 3 SB wins, and some great playoff runs?  That's like being an Einstein apologist for believing he was brilliant.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:

I guess my definition of a Homer is incorrect.  I always imagine a homer being someone that thinks their mediocre team is winning the SB this year, or that their mediocre coach is great.  For example, any Jets fan thinking they will win the SB this year is a homer.  Any Jets fans thinking Rex is the best coach in the NFL is a homer.  How can one be a homer for thinking one of the NFL's best teams being led by a HoF coach with a HoF QB is great?

Could you be the opposite of a BB apologist?  You chose to mention how BB went 5-11 with Bledsoe but neglected to mention that was BB's 1st year as coach of the Patriots.  Nor did you mention he went 11-5 with Cassel.  You correctly pointed out that we haven't won a SB in 10 years but failed to point out that we were at least in the SB during that time, the most recent in 2011.  Were it not for 2 Eli game winning drives we would not be having this conversation.

I understand how winning the SB is viewed as the only true mark of success.  It's not truly the only mark of success though.  I looked at the last 10 SB winners and I wouldn't want to trade places with any of them.  I and many others would rather be in the thick of it every year than win a SB one year and miss the playoffs another year.

But really, how can anyone be a homer when they are a fan of one of the NFL's best teams?  How can anyone be an apologist for a future HoF coach who has given us 13 consecutive winning seasons, 5 SB appearances, 3 SB wins, and some great playoff runs?  That's like being an Einstein apologist for believing he was brilliant.

1.) Why do you keep mentioning the word Homer? I dont believe I wrote that word once in my post

2.) I figured most fans know the history of what years we got the the SB and all that. Do I need to mention 16-0 too.

If all the Pats fans were the same, we would be zombies, not fans. To each his own. I give BB lots of credit. I just dont blindly support Everything he does like some and actually I was just trying to answer Tanbass' question of why certain teams pick high but don't win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Jesus Christ could descend from the heavens and proclaim that BB is a good GM and Babe wouldn't change his opinion.  Why anyone is still trying to reason with this guy on this topic is beyond me.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well done DJ.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

According to Babe the 49ers have drafted the best since 2006.  Well according to PFR the CarAV of the Patriots drafts from 2008-2012 was higher than the 9ers.  I guess Babe thinks BB has been the best drafter in the NFL since 2008.

Lol!  Babe now with a raw anal cavity.

What are you laughing at?  Your diameter gets stretched out here daily!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've said it before, I'll say it again...prior to somewhere around 2007 Belichick was on a tear, almost everything he did was gold...from then on there have been many mistakes. I could list them if anyone wants, let me know...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

1.) Why do you keep mentioning the word Homer? I dont believe I wrote that word once in my post

2.) I figured most fans know the history of what years we got the the SB and all that. Do I need to mention 16-0 too.

If all the Pats fans were the same, we would be zombies, not fans. To each his own. I give BB lots of credit. I just dont blindly support Everything he does like some and actually I was just trying to answer Tanbass' question of why certain teams pick high but don't win.

I brought up Homer not because of what you wrote, but because it is often said here.  I guess it's as misused a term here as troll....or how anyone not a so-called homer is accused of being a Jets fan lol.

I don't agree with every decision BB makes either.  That said, I will never confuse the fact that he makes mistakes with thinking he is anything other than a great coach/gm.  If we start missing the playoffs and having losing seasons I'll jump on board and change my stance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

According to Babe the 49ers have drafted the best since 2006.  Well according to PFR the CarAV of the Patriots drafts from 2008-2012 was higher than the 9ers.  I guess Babe thinks BB has been the best drafter in the NFL since 2008.

Lol!  Babe now with a raw anal cavity.

[object HTMLDivElement]

You are so worthlessly stupid, it's a sin.

Quickly looking at (checked only a few) at the top 3 AV picks for teams from 2008 through 2012, BB has less than....

The Seahawks, Falcons, Packers, Texans, Ravens and Broncos......

That's your idea of "the greatest GM of all-time"? You're an imbecile. LMAO@U

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I've said it before, I'll say it again...prior to somewhere around 2007 Belichick was on a tear, almost everything he did was gold...from then on there have been many mistakes. I could list them if anyone wants, let me know...

My thought here is that if you are correct then there is no way we are still having winning seasons.  There is no way we make it to the AFCCG last year.  Exactly how long can a team be on cruise control before they see the consequences of their "mistakes"?  Last season was 6 years removed from 2007.  We were in our last SB 4 years removed from the 2007 draft.

No need to list his mistakes because I don't deny he makes mistakes.  I just think he makes more good decisions than he does bad.  This MUST be the case.  We couldn't be as good as we are otherwise.  Don't you think that were it not for an unusual number of injuries last year we might have gone to the SB?  Don't you believe today that we will very likely be in the SB this year, or at least have as good a shot as any?  If so, how on earth can he be anything other than a coach/GM who has makes far more good decisions than mistakes?  It just doesn't make sense.  That's what baffles me here.  If fans such as Babe were correct we would be missing the playoffs and probably have some losing seasons.  We'd have to.  We just couldn't be making so many mistakes and drafting so bad and still win like we do.  I'm not God's gift to logic, but that just seems illogical as heck.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

If fans such as Babe were correct we would be missing the playoffs and probably have some losing seasons.  We'd have to.  We just couldn't be making so many mistakes and drafting so bad and still win like we do.  I'm not God's gift to logic, but that just seems illogical as heck.

They will just default to BB is a great coach and TB is a great QB.  If you point out that great QB and coaching combinations have had less success than the Patriots have had and have even had bad seasons they will say well BB is a better coach and TB is a better QB than those guys or some other excuse.  People are going to believe what they want on this issue.  The fact is that the vast majority of people realize that BB knows what he's doing when it comes to putting together a team. There will always be exceptions.  There is no reason to try and convince them otherwise.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

My thought here is that if you are correct then there is no way we are still having winning seasons.  There is no way we make it to the AFCCG last year.  Exactly how long can a team be on cruise control before they see the consequences of their "mistakes"?  Last season was 6 years removed from 2007.  We were in our last SB 4 years removed from the 2007 draft.

No need to list his mistakes because I don't deny he makes mistakes.  I just think he makes more good decisions than he does bad.  This MUST be the case.  We couldn't be as good as we are otherwise.  Don't you think that were it not for an unusual number of injuries last year we might have gone to the SB?  Don't you believe today that we will very likely be in the SB this year, or at least have as good a shot as any?  If so, how on earth can he be anything other than a coach/GM who has makes far more good decisions than mistakes?  It just doesn't make sense.  That's what baffles me here.  If fans such as Babe were correct we would be missing the playoffs and probably have some losing seasons.  We'd have to.  We just couldn't be making so many mistakes and drafting so bad and still win like we do.  I'm not God's gift to logic, but that just seems illogical as heck.

I'll try to respond. Why did we win? I hate to boil it down to one name, but Tom Brady plays a position that is the most important position on the football field...and he played it better than most that will ever play this game. That's a pretty huge advantage, I could list 20 teams that have more talent, but won't win a thing because their quarterback ruins it for them. We don't have that problem, our QB wins games for us.

Another huge advantage we have is our head coach is the best in football, this guy literally takes people off the street and has them starting in playoff games for us, before they get exposed and are cut weeks later. Not many guys can do that - can hide a player in a scheme and make it work - in fact I can't really think of any coaches capable of doing that consistently, but Belichick does that every year.

We had one the worst defensse in football for 6 years straight, the two guys I mentioned helped us win despite that fact. Our defense was so horrendous that at one point we made Mark Sanchez look like Joe Montana. And what would this team look like without Belichick and Brady over the last 6 years? How would we be? Well we certainly wouldn't be winning games with our defense, as balls sailed over the heads of guys like Patrick Chung and Arrington...as their quarterback sits there is the pocket without a worry in the world that he will get hit. And how would our offense win it for us without Brady? It's not like we have a pro bowl running back to hand the ball off to, or a receiving core that scares anyone (at least not now)...so how would a guy like Matt Schaub look leading this team...or a coach like John Fox? I'd be willing to bet the talent on those teams would be getting us 6-8 wins a season over that span of 6 years. That's just my opinion.

Again, I'm not saying Belichick is a terrible GM, but I am saying the mistakes made over the last 6 years leaves him open to criticism.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If fans such as Babe were correct we would be missing the playoffs and probably have some losing seasons.  We'd have to.  We just couldn't be making so many mistakes and drafting so bad and still win like we do.  I'm not God's gift to logic, but that just seems illogical as heck.

They will just default to BB is a great coach and TB is a great QB.  If you point out that great QB and coaching combinations have had less success than the Patriots have had and have even had bad seasons they will say well BB is a better coach and TB is a better QB than those guys or some other excuse.  People are going to believe what they want on this issue.  The fact is that the vast majority of people realize that BB knows what he's doing when it comes to putting together a team. There will always be exceptions.  There is no reason to try and convince them otherwise.

No need to try to convince them otherwise?? Then why do you run around here half the day like you are the GM Police? And the way you discount how the coach and Brady have factored into our success is beyond ridiculous. I guess Patrick Chung is the reason why we have won so much. LOL!

Sections
Shortcuts