Compensatory draft picks this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Compensatory draft picks this year?

Hey folks are the Patriots expecting any comp picks this year? If so any idea where we might expect them to be? I cant remember back to who we signed or lost last year. I do know Koppen played almost every snap in Denver but I think he was released not lost as a FA. Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Compensatory draft picks this year?

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Hey folks are the Patriots expecting any comp picks this year? If so any idea where we might expect them to be? I cant remember back to who we signed or lost last year. I do know Koppen played almost every snap in Denver but I think he was released not lost as a FA. Thanks.

That won't be announced until the end of March. Koppen was not a FA. The Pats signed a bunch of FAs last year, it's unlikely they'll get any comp picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

tks Muzz

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Yep, I believe it's zero.  Koppen was cut wasn't he?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Yes, Koppen was cut. Next year they could get a few comp picks with Talib, Welker, Vollmer, Edelman, Woodhead, etc. potentially leaving.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Nothing official till March but here is a prediction article: (none for NE)

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/01/27/2013-nfl-compensatory-pick-projections/

New England
    The New England Patriots lost Mark Anderson and BenJarvus Green-Ellis who are cancelled out by Trevor Scott, Steve Gregory, Brandon Lloyd, Daniel Fells, and Will Allen.

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/01/predicting-the-compensatory-pick/2/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Yes, Koppen was cut. Next year they could get a few comp picks with Talib, Welker, Vollmer, Edelman, Woodhead, etc. potentially leaving.

What do you think Talib and Welker would bring in compensatory picks? Would each be worth a first rounder? Imagine the possible inflow of new, young talent next year with their own first round pick and then 2 compensatory first rounders... 

I doub't Edelman or Woodhead would bring more than a 5th or 6th round pick. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

[QUOTE] 

What do you think Talib and Welker would bring in compensatory picks? Would each be worth a first rounder? Imagine the possible inflow of new, young talent next year with their own first round pick and then 2 compensatory first rounders... 

[QUOTE] 

There's a formula to determine what they bring and I don't pretend to understand it. But I believe the highest possible comp pick is a third rounder, and they're at the end of the round so it's effectively a fourth rounder. It's also balanced against the FAs the team signs, so if they let everybody go and don't sign anybody they can expect several picks. But if they sign some FAs, which they will, then that negates some of the compensation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

[QUOTE] 

[QUOTE] 

There's a formula to determine what they bring and I don't pretend to understand it. But I believe the highest possible comp pick is a third rounder, and they're at the end of the round so it's effectively a fourth rounder. It's also balanced against the FAs the team signs, so if they let everybody go and don't sign anybody they can expect several picks. But if they sign some FAs, which they will, then that negates some of the compensation.

You are right, I found this description,

Compensatory picks

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.