competition @ CB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

competition @ CB

It's hard to miss BB's comments about Jonathan Wilhite without assuming that there is real competiton at one of the cornerback slots. Bodden may be a lock for early season starter but Springs won't get that job handed to him. This is another good training camp story worth watching

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: competition @ CB

We needed a thread on this.  I haven't heard anything on Springs or Wheatley in a while.  What is going on at CB?  Looks like Bodden and Wilhite are in the lead so far.  How is Butler doing?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

In Response to Re: competition @ CB:
    We needed a thread on this.  I haven't heard anything on Springs or Wheatley in a while.  What is going on at CB?  Looks like Bodden and Wilhite are in the lead so far.  How is Butler doing?
    Posted by themightypatriots

Reiss' Pieces: "Terrence Wheatley delivers play of the day"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I wouldnt say Wilhite is beating Springs out. This is nothing new, all training camp the vets meaning anyone over 30 has been given days off or practices off. And Springs is one of those guys, BB is saving his legs for the season and when he is not at practice Wilhite covers his job. All this says is that Wilhite is the best of teh young guys right now and he is the #3 CB and he has been the #3CB all training camp so this changes nothing.

Mighty

Wheatly was able to run stride for stride with Greg Lewis down teh sideline and pick off a Tom Brady pass in the end zone which was then deemed the play of the day. I think it is worth noting that Wheatly didnt pick off Walter or O Connel he picked off the best QB on the team in Tom Brady so that is something. Butler is the best of our young player from what I hear but he is behind guys like Wilhite simply because Wilhite knows teh system better an dtherefore plays better with in the system. If you want to talk about CB battles then next year is the year. Next year Butler will know the system and Wheatly and Wilhite will have been in it for two years by then so thats when the real battle begins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I was psyched to read that Wheatly made the play of the day, then I read that he was covering Greg Lewis. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I was psyched to read that Wheatly made the play of the day, then I read that he was covering Greg Lewis. 

LOL. I think that would make him the first Pats DB who can actually cover the guy. He has run roughshod over this team, bizarrely enough. Haha.

But still, it is nice to see that regardless of who it is against.

Re: The thread.

I am hoping one of the youngens is good enough to beat out Springs, but I can't help but think that in the early going it will be Springs/Bodden. But by the end of the year one of teh younger CBs needs to be starting because I a guessing a player like Springs is going to be much more effective in a 3rd corner mix it up type role.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Springs has been out with injuries, if he can't stay healthy through preseason look for him to be cut. 

I said it before and I'll repeat it here, if Butler plays the majority of the snaps in preseason games which I think he will, than he'll start the first game of the season at corner.  Bill B has always been a defensive backs coach at heart, he takes a lot of time and care grooming the young ones...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm consistently afraid that BB will need six cornerbacks by February, just like last year and the year before.  With that philosophy, I'm glad he's about six deep in CBs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

wozzy I have always considered Bill a linebackers coach at heart myself but i see what you mean. I think in general he just likes coaching defense and he is such a good teacher that young [players just learn so much from him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Butler's not starting at CB for a long time.  I heard the guy didn't even lift weights before he was drafted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Wilhite and Wheatly are both ahead of him so I doubt he starts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Not sure Springs gets cut, because then the Pats have to eat his $2.7m signing bonus.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

You can never have enough pitching in baseball, you can never have enough DBs in football. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Springs was signed to a 3 year deal and was given money up front, he wont get cut. He has not been hurt they have been resting him cause of how old he is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

Butler's not starting at CB for a long time.  I heard the guy didn't even lift weights before he was drafted.

That's not true. Do you have NFL Network. He was one of the guys mentored by Deion Sanders in Deion's U. Weightlifting was part of the workout regime. You can say he hadn't started lifting until that show, but I don't think that's possible.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

MVP?

Are you talking about Butler or Springs?

I readthat Butler might have the edge on Wheatley because he can play inside and outside. I think it was in the mailbag, which was as positive news as I could hope to hear this offseason.

At the tail end of the year, I predicted there would be a mandate to overhaul the secondary, and it appears to have happened, but the youth here makes me wonder about how long they will take with their assignments.

That said, anytime Mike Reiss says that Hobbs would be the 5th CB on this squad, that is positive for me. It means from a pure talent perspective this crew should be better, and will definitely be better from the other side, where Oneal was.

It means, in his eyes, this squad is improved from its nadir last season. A nice mix of vet/youth.

C'mon guys, get stoked.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

This is the deepest group of corners since they started the SB run. In 2001 you had Law, Smith, Buckley, Shaw, and Antawn Harris. 2002 was the same, but sub Leonard Meyers for Shaw. In 2003 you had Law, Poole, Samuel. 2004 Law, Samuel, Moreland, Troy Brown, Gay. 2005 Samuel, Starks, Gay. 

You get the point. Bodden, Springs, Wilhite, Wheatley and Butler are the best group 1-5. That's not to say that any of those guys is better (yet) than Ty Law, Asante Samuel or especially Duane Starks, but the depth is there and one of those young guys will develop into a stud.

Sections
Shortcuts