Complaining About Pats Cap Space

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: Complaining About Pats Cap Space

OG - lol

Mike JD i almost believe everything I read here Too lol

rusty , mthurl- I believe have stated it right. I would add

AH is a 4.5M against the cap thimoney. This was completely unforeseen dead money and it came late. 

Reiss and unwise money. I always love  20-20 hindsight - I am sure BB has house money he budgets, He drafts in the 20s+. He has the same lousy position on waivers. name FAs are buy high and sell low deals that could mess up the entire salary structure. I believe he takes chances on elite talent at the end of their careers. I have no problem with this. And he hasn't chased rainbows that have screwed them. Everyones a critic -lol It is a Rubik's cube that may not have a solution 

The Pats don't get to keep the difference. The nflpa contract guarantees the players x% of      revenues and it goes to the players NOT to the Pats

I think Balt did mess up on Flacco. I don't know how it breaks by year Or where they are now-   The real true measure for them is that now that they have been to the top, do they stay there or go down? Time will tell

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bustchise's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

[QUOTE]

Maybe the money is for this year.....

Since they were trying to extend Mesko with him playing hardball, it's not out of the realm to see contracts come down for those who are due. Cushing just got overpaid for example. Houston was trying to budget for him which is why Quin is gone. It's why they lost Barwin or even Winston last year.

McCourty and Nink will get new deals. BB loves them and their good players.  Spikes is a wait and see, but yeah, if they're trying to extend multiple players you have to be careful the year before if you are looking to approach players with new deals or already tried to and they rejected your extension offers.

Extensions affect the current year if they are signed off on, or they can. They rip up the previous deal, kick in the new deal and roll out the remaining years of the new deal. Usually, that happens when you want to keep the player and not risk FA. Gronk, Hern, Brady are examples. Brady's was more of a cap reduction approach, however.

NE will end up within 5 million of the cap once they submit their final rosters with salaries to the NFL. Any team going over the 5 million mark is taking a massive risk with leverage for new contracts. It's why Ozzie in Baltimore just had to overpay Flacco and lost half his defensive startes in one year, with no entrusted pipeline.

Watch Denver, though. They cheated in this area 3 years in a row and then played dumb acting like it was some mistake. lmao

Ironic. Baltimore opens up vs Denver tonight, two weaker run teams than ours.

[/QUOTE]

Bwa hahahahahaha! Really Queenie? Did you really post "their good players"? Typo, right? Didn't I warn you how much of an idiot you are when you plah grammar cop? Idiot.

[/QUOTE]

evening Phat Rex...you were just fatsam on the other thread...my oh my you think you fool everyone...you only fool the fools...

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, could have sworn that you and all of your 'alteregos' were on ignore.  Easily fixed, doooosh! IGNORE! Seems you think because you have 20 handles, everyone else does. That's dooshbrain for you. 

[/QUOTE]

I say Sanchez and you have a meltdown...LOL...sore subject amigo?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

While we're at it, here's the report for today.  Patriots are in the middle, slightly above average, but hardly extreme.  

Arizona Cardinals $8,499,876.00

Atlanta Falcons $8,060,961.00

Baltimore Ravens $6,532,650.00

Buffalo Bills $22,636,342.00

Carolina Panthers $13,843,530.00

Chicago Bears $5,373,417.00

Cincinnati Bengals $12,850,690.00

Cleveland Browns $28,113,477.00

Dallas Cowboys $6,583,376.00

Denver Broncos $12,857,635.00

Detroit Lions $6,287,791.00

Green Bay Packers $15,491,974.00

Houston Texans $6,515,718.00

Indianapolis Colts $7,300,469.00

Jacksonville Jaguars $25,216,609.00

Kansas City Chiefs $5,860,255.00

Miami Dolphins $22,277,244.00

Minnesota Vikings $5,270,715.00

New England Patriots $13,494,970.00

New Orleans Saints $5,581,710.00

New York Giants $5,127,466.00

New York Jets $6,962,395.00

Oakland Raiders $7,984,962.00

Philadelphia Eagles $20,771,275.00

Pittsburgh Steelers $5,537,282.00

San Diego Chargers $9,392,769.00

San Francisco 49ers $8,346,186.00

Seattle Seahawks $8,410,716.00

St. Louis Rams $3,864,196.00

Tampa Bay Buccaneers $12,508,396.00

Tennessee Titans $10,908,463.00

Washington Redskins $7,215,928.00

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re prprolate after seeing this , why discussion even a discussion of this?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

This isn't baseball.  There's not that much difference (at least compared to that game) between the top spending team and the bottom.

There is also very little correlation between the top spending teams and won-loss record. Some teams that spent a lot last year were good, some sucked. Detroit was the top spending team, and the Dolphins, Giants, Chargers, Steelers and Rams were also in the top 10. So that's six of the top ten payrolls that missed the postseason with a collective W-L of 35-44-1.

The Patriots spent about 6% less last year than the highest spending team in the league. They spent more, by the way, than the Broncos, Seahawks, Packers and Bengals, all of whom made the playoffs.

Argue amongst yourselves what it all means. I say very little.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Trades never happen?  Trades happen all the time, look around the league at all of the franchise tagged players and guess which one is ready to be a malcontent, all it will take is what... 4 losses in a row for some doormat?

We have critical players we have to extend, I love how everyone is so eager to spend someone else's money for them.  It would be easy to defend if we lost all the time, if we were the Redskins pre-Shanahan/RG3 or the Jaguars.

You need operating costs, you need emergency funds, teams mortgaged to the hilt are poorly run teams.  

Moreover you want that slush fund if, mid season, some terrible team desperate to cut payroll (who do the Jests have?) on a player screaming for a trade, making a stink or a trouble maker.

Injuries happen, have a back up plan.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

I think the point a lot of people are making is that Brady did a team friendly re structure. He doesn't have too many years left as an elite QB. This team for the last few years has been 1 or 2 difference makers away from winning the SB. Especially on D and especially at DB. They should have gone after the number safety or CB on the market in the offseason and maybe a proven legit deep threat at wide receiver. I hope that they aren't 1 or 2 difference makers away again at the end of the season whilst sitting on the 13 mill and another chance at Brady getting a 4th ring goes down the drain.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:

I think the point a lot of people are making is that Brady did a team friendly re structure. He doesn't have too many years left as an elite QB. This team for the last few years has been 1 or 2 difference makers away from winning the SB. Especially on D and especially at DB. They should have gone after the number safety or CB on the market in the offseason and maybe a proven legit deep threat at wide receiver. I hope that they aren't 1 or 2 difference makers away again at the end of the season whilst sitting on the 13 mill and another chance at Brady getting a 4th ring goes down the drain.

pretty much. When you have that much extra cap you could have afforded a good starting SS or an extra starting caliber CB or better depth at CB and DT and still had money left over for emergency pickups and extensions without hurting your future cap. This might be the first time I've ever seen people argue against adding more talent and depth when they have the means and it doesn't prevent them from making other moves this year or in the future.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Trades never happen?  Trades happen all the time, look around the league at all of the franchise tagged players and guess which one is ready to be a malcontent, all it will take is what... 4 losses in a row for some doormat?

We have critical players we have to extend, I love how everyone is so eager to spend someone else's money for them.  It would be easy to defend if we lost all the time, if we were the Redskins pre-Shanahan/RG3 or the Jaguars.

You need operating costs, you need emergency funds, teams mortgaged to the hilt are poorly run teams.  

Moreover you want that slush fund if, mid season, some terrible team desperate to cut payroll (who do the Jests have?) on a player screaming for a trade, making a stink or a trouble maker.

Injuries happen, have a back up plan.

Wozzy, trades during the season in the NFL are rare esp compared to other sports. At most you see less than a half dozen trades every year during the season with some seasons seeing no trades during the year. It's even more rare that starting caliber players (franchise players esp) get traded.

How many players does BB extend during a typical season? Usually not more than 1 or 2 critical type of players. You realy have Spikes, McCourty, Wendell, and Nink who need new contracts this upcoming year. He could extend all of them but who's going to break the bank? FS's don't make a ton of money and even with a bigger signing bonus McCourty's cap number won't more than double at most, Nink isn't suddenly going to get a massive contract he might get a slight raise but his cap number shouldn't take a lot to extend, Wendell might get double his current salary but since he's not making much to begin with that's not a large cap hit, and Spikes do you honestly see BB giving Spikes a Mayo type of deal?

What do operating costs have to do with the cap? Answer absolutely nothing. operating costs don't effect how much is spent on the cap in football and most certainly not for one of the highest profit teams in the league.

Who said mortgage to the hilt? There were a large number of contracts handed out this past offseason for 1-2 years. Those short term deals don't mortgage anything as you really only have to account for them short term.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

People can say that the Pats are like others, or that they difference between this or that is a small percentage.

I'll tell you that $13,000,000 buys a heck of a lot of talent.  I don't expect them to spend to the bone, but when your wide receivers are The Injury Guy and a pile of rookies, it's impossible for me to think it's okay.

Good thing they didn't pay Welker.  He looked horrible last night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'm so sick of the "yeah but next year..." stuff when the team is constantly falling short this year.

Yep the bottom line for me is THIS year. We can speculate for years on why the Pats pick up players "on the cheap" with the endless chatter on cap space. The "next year" we'll get 'em is so tired. There are some players and positions that are worth the money now.  Still scratching my head at Brady's restructuring his contract to make room in the elusive cap space for what? Or more to the point who?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

OG - lol

Mike JD i almost believe everything I read here Too lol

rusty , mthurl- I believe have stated it right. I would add

AH is a 4.5M against the cap thimoney. This was completely unforeseen dead money and it came late. 

Reiss and unwise money. I always love  20-20 hindsight - I am sure BB has house money he budgets, He drafts in the 20s+. He has the same lousy position on waivers. name FAs are buy high and sell low deals that could mess up the entire salary structure. I believe he takes chances on elite talent at the end of their careers. I have no problem with this. And he hasn't chased rainbows that have screwed them. Everyones a critic -lol It is a Rubik's cube that may not have a solution 

The Pats don't get to keep the difference. The nflpa contract guarantees the players x% of      revenues and it goes to the players NOT to the Pats

I think Balt did mess up on Flacco. I don't know how it breaks by year Or where they are now-   The real true measure for them is that now that they have been to the top, do they stay there or go down? Time will tell

Huh? Haynesworth, Ocho, Ellis, Wilson, Gallery, Fells, Fanene, Ras, Hern.....just to name some...no one can foresee injury or jail, but aren't these guys all chasing risk that did not pan out? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

While we're at it, here's the report for today.  Patriots are in the middle, slightly above average, but hardly extreme.  

Arizona Cardinals $8,499,876.00

Atlanta Falcons $8,060,961.00

Baltimore Ravens $6,532,650.00

Buffalo Bills $22,636,342.00

Carolina Panthers $13,843,530.00

Chicago Bears $5,373,417.00

Cincinnati Bengals $12,850,690.00

Cleveland Browns $28,113,477.00

Dallas Cowboys $6,583,376.00

Denver Broncos $12,857,635.00

Detroit Lions $6,287,791.00

Green Bay Packers $15,491,974.00

Houston Texans $6,515,718.00

Indianapolis Colts $7,300,469.00

Jacksonville Jaguars $25,216,609.00

Kansas City Chiefs $5,860,255.00

Miami Dolphins $22,277,244.00

Minnesota Vikings $5,270,715.00

New England Patriots $13,494,970.00

New Orleans Saints $5,581,710.00

New York Giants $5,127,466.00

New York Jets $6,962,395.00

Oakland Raiders $7,984,962.00

Philadelphia Eagles $20,771,275.00

Pittsburgh Steelers $5,537,282.00

San Diego Chargers $9,392,769.00

San Francisco 49ers $8,346,186.00

Seattle Seahawks $8,410,716.00

St. Louis Rams $3,864,196.00

Tampa Bay Buccaneers $12,508,396.00

Tennessee Titans $10,908,463.00

Washington Redskins $7,215,928.00

This is good info....but I am quite sure the context of Reiss article was the amount of cap space available and the dead money on the books....

Yes, the Pats have money to spend, but is there anything at this juncture worth spending it on, as opposed to what may become available, or depending on what the team needs going forward this season

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

[QUOTE]

Maybe the money is for this year.....

Since they were trying to extend Mesko with him playing hardball, it's not out of the realm to see contracts come down for those who are due. Cushing just got overpaid for example. Houston was trying to budget for him which is why Quin is gone. It's why they lost Barwin or even Winston last year.

McCourty and Nink will get new deals. BB loves them and their good players.  Spikes is a wait and see, but yeah, if they're trying to extend multiple players you have to be careful the year before if you are looking to approach players with new deals or already tried to and they rejected your extension offers.

Extensions affect the current year if they are signed off on, or they can. They rip up the previous deal, kick in the new deal and roll out the remaining years of the new deal. Usually, that happens when you want to keep the player and not risk FA. Gronk, Hern, Brady are examples. Brady's was more of a cap reduction approach, however.

NE will end up within 5 million of the cap once they submit their final rosters with salaries to the NFL. Any team going over the 5 million mark is taking a massive risk with leverage for new contracts. It's why Ozzie in Baltimore just had to overpay Flacco and lost half his defensive startes in one year, with no entrusted pipeline.

Watch Denver, though. They cheated in this area 3 years in a row and then played dumb acting like it was some mistake. lmao

Ironic. Baltimore opens up vs Denver tonight, two weaker run teams than ours.

[/QUOTE]

I do not agree. Yes, BB loves them and they are good players. But BB IMO will not pay a S, C (Wendell) top 5 money, and both may be in line for that type of deal....I think if Nink takes a market deal, he would return, but there are replacements on the roster. 

Yes, the team wants them, but at the end of the day it will be the $$$ that determine the outcome.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

This is good info....but I am quite sure the context of Reiss article was the amount of cap space available and the dead money on the books....

Yes, the Pats have money to spend, but is there anything at this juncture worth spending it on, as opposed to what may become available, or depending on what the team needs going forward this season

I'm not content picking up other's trash.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So some people are going to ask who you would want to spend the money on and that it would hurt the cap for the future. There were plenty of deals to be made for starting caliber players or great depth players in areas that the Pats could have used. Here are some of the players I was interested in signing (that didn't resign prior to FA or was franchised):

• Cullen Jenkins DT - 3yrs $8mil
    • Allen Branch DT - 1yr $3mil
    • Terrance Knighton DT - 2 yrs $4.5mil
    • Dashon Goldson SS - 5yrs $41.25mil (ok this one was an expensive one but still wanted him)
    • George Wilson SS - 2yrs $4mil
    • Glover Quin SS - 5yrs $25mil (long term but not a bad deal at all)
    • Micheal Huff SS - 3yrs $6mil (Anyone want A Wilson over Huff now?)
    • Brent Grimes CB - 1yr $5.5mil
    • Nnamdi Asomugha CB - 1yr $3mil none guaranteed
    • DRC CB - 1yr $5mil
    • Derek Cox CB - 4yr $20mil
    • Tracy Porter CB - 1yr $2.5mil (good depth guy to have for cheap)

Now those are just the ones I wanted, there were plenty of other starter -> fringe starter/high end sub type of players that went for good value deals short term. Looking at that list other than Goldson anyone of those deals was durable and most wouldn't hurt the team long term, at least not as much as A. Wilson does, with exception of Cox and Quin. So, you could have 1 or 2 of these guys, greatly improve the team, and still have at least $5mil going into the season for injures or extensions while not hurting the team long term. Hindsight in 20/20 but I liked and wanted these guys before FA so to me it's not hindsight. 

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

I am not argueing you need $10mil to cover #2 by any remote strecth. I certainly don't pay any where near the attention to cap stuff as you do.  I always take  your word for things in this area.

I do however call you out on this point highlighted above. You chose your words carefully, just like Reiss I guess.

You said it has never stopped a team from signing a street FA?

1) Do you know that to really be true? It has never happened, ever? I suspect you are correct but just wondering. Is that officially tracked somewhere?

2) Even if it is true , based on how you worded it, do you think the following is also true? A team has never NOT been able to sign the street FA "that it wanted"? At least not without having to do other "forced" and unwanted roster/cap manipululations?

How does that work?

Let's say you have $300,000 in cap space. You have a rash of injuries and the FA's you actually want, out of what is left, are all many year vested vets. Through the course of the season you end up needing say four of them and each one comes with a mandatory minimum salary of 940,000 this season. How do you accomodate that when each guy accounts for 58,750 per game? That is only 2 games for one guy and 1 game for each of the other three before you use up the available cap. Or do I have all of that incorrect? It certainly would not shock me.

Little hard to prove something that didn't happen. It's kind of like someone keeping a database of all the times the moon hit the earth in the last 10,000 yrs

Point #2 though I can't prove. However, logically speaking when has a player who is just sitting on his couch ever turned down a chance to play for fairly good money (even min wage) unless they had already a deal with another team or just couldn't play anymore? I mean if you were out of a job and someone offered you $100k would you turn them down and say, nah I was looking for $120k I'll just sit here instead?

We might be misunderstanding each other but I do not follow you here. At all. If say Wilfork got hurt, and the Pats wanted or needed a player like Seymour or Casey Hampton(no idea where or what his status is, just ex.) AND even if they were willing to take the vet minimum, that Minimum, I believe in 2013, for players of their tenure is $940,000. The union is not letting them take $100K unless I am mistaking. Sure you can get "a guy" but you might not be able to get "the guy" you want or need. At least without the situation forcing you to do other manuevers you might not want to do. SO in fact I am quite certain there have been teams through the years that have NOT been able to sign the street FA they want, without being "forced" to do other things first. I personally do not think that is smart to put yourself in that position but that is just my opinion.

The last part you are right which is why I said it's somewhat true. You need to keep some money on reserve. However, the players you sign only count against the cap for the money they make while on the team.

I know that and that is what I said in my original example. AT least I tried to.

So if the vet min is $300k (way high btw)

How or where do you get this? According to http://nflsalarycapguru.com/ even the 2012 minimum for a rookie was $390,000 or $24,375 a game. ..and I have said repeatedly, my understanding, if you got a guy like a Saeymour to even consider a minimum it is still $940,000 or $58,750 a game. Certainly I could be wrong on this, maybe you could point me to a better resource showing that $300K is a way high minimum salary for an NFL vet?

and they get signed after 8 games they only count for $150k against the cap. Additionally if they get cut after say the first game then only ~$20k gets counted because the contract wasn't guaranteed.

Yes I am aware they get paid for only what they play after week 1 and only that amount counts against the cap.

So you can manage your way around the cap numbers pretty well.

My point was simply to say, imo, it is not wise to put yourself in a position to have to do that because you might not like what you are forced to have to do.

Additionally, you can extend a player during the year lowering his cap number by increasing the years his bonus is spread out. So say a player is 4 years into a contract that had $5mil signing spread over 5 years. You already covered $3mil so if you extend him 2 years giving him $1mil signing the remaining $3mil gets spread over the 4 years on the extended contract lowering his cap hit in the current year by $333k. Street FA's are insanely easy to fit on the teams.

It is very true as a bottom line. ...but not if you do not want to potentially have your hand forced into doing something you would otherwise not want or need to do simply because you managed your cap poorly.

That's why the loopholes aren't closed because the NFLPA doesn't want them to be closed it makes it easier to get guys work during the year.

One other question. Do you happen to know how incentives are counted against the cap?Are they counted against the cap even if they are not met, from the beginning? ...or do you have to save cap room to account for all the potential incentives being met because they might end up being counted against the cap in the end?

For example.

Julian Edleman (don't know what his contract is so I am grabbing ficticious numbers)

Let's say, for discussion, he has a salary of $750,000 but has another 1.25m added on if he miraculously plays every game this year? Is his cap number the whole thing from the get go or just the salary and they have to save room for the potential of his cap number growing? Just curious.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One other question. Do you happen to know how incentives are counted against the cap?Are they counted against the cap even if they are not met, from the beginning? ...or do you have to save cap room to account for all the potential incentives being met because they might end up being counted against the cap in the end?

For example.

Julian Edleman (don't know what his contract is so I am grabbing ficticious numbers)

Let's say, for discussion, he has a salary of $750,000 but has another 1.25m added on if he miraculously plays every game this year? Is his cap number the whole thing from the get go or just the salary and they have to save room for the potential of his cap number growing? Just curious.

I hear what you are saying with Seymour and Hampton but you usually don't see those kind of guys signing mid season for any team. They usually stay retired or start the season on a team. The only recent example of a player I can think of that did that was Junior. And don't forget the vet min only counts for about half against the cap I believe. So unless you sign the vet very early in the season that cap hit isn't going to hurt at all. I did make a mistake saying $300k, I was assuming the half way point as the saying timeline as some will come before and some will come after and tend to balance out, so you are right $300k isn't a ton unless you are assuming a mid year signing then it becomes the max cap hit for any player signing a min deal essentially. But again that's extremely rare and a couple mil should be more than enough for street FA's. If you need more than that then your team is so full of injures I don't think missing a couple street FA's will be the thing that sinks your season.

The incentives are a bit complicated. There are two catagories, likely to be earned and not likely to be earned. It's usually based around the previous years statistics for in season incentives. Things like Brady throwing 200 receiptions fall under likely to be earned, while things like Brady being SB MVP falls under not likely to be earned. Anything determined to be likely to be earned count against the cap in that year and if not earned are credited to the next year. The not likely to be earned don't count against the cap but if they earn it it counts against next years cap. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

For example.

I hear what you are saying with Seymour and Hampton but you usually don't see those kind of guys signing mid season for any team. They usually stay retired or start the season on a team. The only recent example of a player I can think of that did that was Junior. And don't forget the vet min only counts for about half against the cap I believe. So unless you sign the vet very early in the season that cap hit isn't going to hurt at all. I did make a mistake saying $300k, I was assuming the half way point as the saying timeline as some will come before and some will come after and tend to balance out, so you are right $300k isn't a ton unless you are assuming a mid year signing then it becomes the max cap hit for any player signing a min deal essentially. But again that's extremely rare and a couple mil should be more than enough for street FA's. If you need more than that then your team is so full of injures I don't think missing a couple street FA's will be the thing that sinks your season.

The incentives are a bit complicated. There are two catagories, likely to be earned and not likely to be earned. It's usually based around the previous years statistics for in season incentives. Things like Brady throwing 200 receiptions fall under likely to be earned, while things like Brady being SB MVP falls under not likely to be earned. Anything determined to be likely to be earned count against the cap in that year and if not earned are credited to the next year. The not likely to be earned don't count against the cap but if they earn it it counts against next years cap. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks appreciate it!

Sections
Shortcuts