Concerned by defensive statistics from Bills game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Concerned by defensive statistics from Bills game?

I like to look at the defensive stats following a game to see who's doing the tackling. Here are your tackling leaders for the game.

Defensive Statistics
    PlayerGTotTacklesAsstSacksYdsStuffsYdsFFPDSafety
    B. Meriweather18350.001.04.0000
    L. Bodden16510.000.50.5010
    S. Springs15500.000.00.0000
    A. Thomas15411.0100.00.0010
    T. Banta-Cain14312.0160.00.0000
    G. Guyton14220.000.00.0000
    J. Sanders14400.000.00.0000
    J. Wilhite14310.000.00.0010

Anyone notice that the majority of these guys are defensive backs? I do understand that the Bills threw more times than they ran but their total yards per play passing was 6.4 and their yards per run was 4.7.
    Here is my question; if most of the action is happening within 5-6 yards of the line of scrimmege than why are the defensive backs making most of the tackles?
    Is it just that NE is running a 4-3 defense or is it that the line and linebackers aren't making plays? Anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Concerned by defensive statistics from Bills game?

The Pats had problems on the perimeter. But that is expected because of the WR group Buffalo fields.

You also need to notice that most teams SS/FS is the leading tackler, and that 2 of the Bodden/Meriweather tackles were behind the line. And Mayo was missing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Re: Concerned by defensive statistics from Bills game?:
    [QUOTE]The Pats had problems on the perimeter. But that is expected because of the WR group Buffalo fields. You also need to notice that most teams SS/FS is the leading tackler, and that 2 of the Bodden/Meriweather tackles were behind the line. And Mayo was missing.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply.
    Here are ESPN's leading tacklers so far.
    Although there are some DBs sprinkled in there its pretty clear that LBs should be pulling their weight.
    I'm not sure the perimeter has as much to do with covering receivers as it does with NE's inability to set the edge on running plays. I haven't liked the way this team has looked against the run in any of the games this pre-season or in the opener.
    If the Jets get 4.5 yards a run Sunday they'll win the game.

RKPLAYERTEAMSOLOASTTOTALSACKYDSLPDINTYDSLONGTDFFRECTD
    1London Fletcher, LBWAS117180.0010000000
    2Thomas Davis, LBCAR142160.0000000000
     Keith Ellison, LBBUF115160.0000000000
    4James Laurinaitis, LBSTL104140.0000000010
    5Stephen Cooper, LBSDG130130.0020000110
     Patrick Willis, LBSFO112130.0011440000
    7Mike Brown, SKAN84120.0000000000
     Anthony Henry, CBDET102120.002126260000
     Stephen Tulloch, LBTEN84120.0000000010
    10Brian Dawkins, SDEN74110.0000000000
     TACKLESSACKSINTERCEPTIONSFUMBLES
    RKPLAYERTEAMSOLOASTTOTALSACKYDSLPDINTYDSLONGTDFFRECTD
     Chris Hope, STEN74110.0000000000
     David Harris, LBNYJ65111.0810000000
     Justin Durant, LBJAC101110.0000000000
     Curtis Lofton, LBATL101110.0000000100
    15Bryan Scott, SBUF55100.0000000000
     Gerald Hayes, LBARI82100.0000000000
     Gary Brackett, LBIND82100.0000000000
     D.J. Williams, LBDEN37100.0010000000
     Daryl Smith, LBJAC82100.0000000000
     Keyaron Fox, LBPIT55100.0000000010

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One thing you're not considering is the defensive game plan for that game. The game was based around keeping the ball out of TO's and Evans hands while providing pressure on Edwards. As such you had a 4 man rush every play and doubled up coverage on the outside recievers. Right there is 8 players being taken away on flat and underneath passes. The majority of the plays (as you have stated to) were shorter 6 yard passes to the outside or slant middle. With the 4 man line rushing and 1 LB and 1 S dropping back to cover the outside recieves this leaves 2 lbs and a safety to cover the middle. Most of these plays had a reserve lb watching for the gap run and if not present he'd apply further pressure when the gap was free to shoot. Given this you're asking single matchups with a cover lb to either a te or post wr. Is there any wonder that short passes would produce yards and allow a shot at yards after the catch? That's also where the second tier defense takes over (Merriweather and the closest cb) That is why you're seeing them with the most tackles.

You are bound to see weird numbers like this deepending on the game plan for the week and if the defense is more bend don't break or rush setup.

Seeing how the shut down 2 of the better wr's in the league and minus Brady's int mitigated a large percentage of damage missing their main inside coverage and tackle threat in Mayo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Meriweather makes a lot of tackles because he is mostly playing up near the box. Although a few were behind the line of scrimage it still concerns me that 5 of our 8 leading tackles were in the secondary.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]One thing you're not considering is the defensive game plan for that game. The game was based around keeping the ball out of TO's and Evans hands while providing pressure on Edwards. As such you had a 4 man rush every play and doubled up coverage on the outside recievers. Right there is 8 players being taken away on flat and underneath passes. The majority of the plays (as you have stated to) were shorter 6 yard passes to the outside or slant middle. With the 4 man line rushing and 1 LB and 1 S dropping back to cover the outside recieves this leaves 2 lbs and a safety to cover the middle. Most of these plays had a reserve lb watching for the gap run and if not present he'd apply further pressure when the gap was free to shoot. Given this you're asking single matchups with a cover lb to either a te or post wr. Is there any wonder that short passes would produce yards and allow a shot at yards after the catch? That's also where the second tier defense takes over (Merriweather and the closest cb) That is why you're seeing them with the most tackles. You are bound to see weird numbers like this deepending on the game plan for the week and if the defense is more bend don't break or rush setup. Seeing how the shut down 2 of the better wr's in the league and minus Brady's int mitigated a large percentage of damage missing their main inside coverage and tackle threat in Mayo
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the astute reply.
    I hope you and some of the other posters are right in that it was just game planning. What is the answer then if its that Mayo wasn't playing? Who steps up and fills in for him? I really like what I've seen from Guyton but he seems better following the rules and plugging gaps then he does as a capitalizing playmaker. If you're saying that they needed to lock down two elite receivers I'm wondering what happens Sunday when they have the same scenario with the Jets having a tougher running game and seemingly better defense? The Jets receivers are pretty good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Concerned by defensive statistics from Bills game?:
    [QUOTE]I like to look at the defensive stats following a game to see who's doing the tackling. Here are your tackling leaders for the game. Defensive Statistics Player G Tot Tackles Asst Sacks Yds Stuffs Yds FF PD Safety B. Meriweather 1 8 3 5 0.0 0 1.0 4.0 0 0 0 L. Bodden 1 6 5 1 0.0 0 0.5 0.5 0 1 0 S. Springs 1 5 5 0 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 A. Thomas 1 5 4 1 1.0 10 0.0 0.0 0 1 0 T. Banta-Cain 1 4 3 1 2.0 16 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 G. Guyton 1 4 2 2 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 J. Sanders 1 4 4 0 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 J. Wilhite 1 4 3 1 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0 1 0 Anyone notice that the majority of these guys are defensive backs? I do understand that the Bills threw more times than they ran but their total yards per play passing was 6.4 and their yards per run was 4.7. Here is my question; if most of the action is happening within 5-6 yards of the line of scrimmege than why are the defensive backs making most of the tackles? Is it just that NE is running a 4-3 defense or is it that the line and linebackers aren't making plays? Anyone?
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

If an offense is throwing the ball more than running, wouldn't the person covering the player making the catch be the closest to the ball?  Therefore the CB's are closest to the WR's and this is why the CB's have the most tackles.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Im not so sure it was game planning that caused all ot if. The Bills did pass more then run so thats some of it. I also watched the game again last night. The linebackers did a very poor job shedding blockers. They were being pushed 4 and 5 yards back from the point of contact. The linebacking play really concerns me this week against the Jets. They have two guys that can really attack our linebackers in Keller and Washington.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]One thing you're not considering is the defensive game plan for that game. The game was based around keeping the ball out of TO's and Evans hands while providing pressure on Edwards. As such you had a 4 man rush every play and doubled up coverage on the outside recievers. Right there is 8 players being taken away on flat and underneath passes. The majority of the plays (as you have stated to) were shorter 6 yard passes to the outside or slant middle. With the 4 man line rushing and 1 LB and 1 S dropping back to cover the outside recieves this leaves 2 lbs and a safety to cover the middle. Most of these plays had a reserve lb watching for the gap run and if not present he'd apply further pressure when the gap was free to shoot. Given this you're asking single matchups with a cover lb to either a te or post wr. Is there any wonder that short passes would produce yards and allow a shot at yards after the catch? That's also where the second tier defense takes over (Merriweather and the closest cb) That is why you're seeing them with the most tackles. You are bound to see weird numbers like this deepending on the game plan for the week and if the defense is more bend don't break or rush setup. Seeing how the shut down 2 of the better wr's in the league and minus Brady's int mitigated a large percentage of damage missing their main inside coverage and tackle threat in Mayo
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

That sums it up pretty well.  You will always see BB choosing to give up stuff underneath over giving up the big play when there is a good or multiple WR threat to deal with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Stats dont mean a thing only wins and thats what we got on Monday is a W.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Stats dont mean a thing only wins and thats what we got on Monday is a W.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

But, killa...  my team had much better stats than your team, shouldn't my team  have won?  I guess for some folks, the final score can sometimes be immaterial to an argument whether a team is that good or not.  You don't get style points in the NFL!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Concerned by defensive statistics from Bills game? : Thanks for the astute reply. I hope you and some of the other posters are right in that it was just game planning. What is the answer then if its that Mayo wasn't playing? Who steps up and fills in for him? I really like what I've seen from Guyton but he seems better following the rules and plugging gaps then he does as a capitalizing playmaker. If you're saying that they needed to lock down two elite receivers I'm wondering what happens Sunday when they have the same scenario with the Jets having a tougher running game and seemingly better defense? The Jets receivers are pretty good.

No disrespect to the Jets, but I have to disagree with you about the Jets WR's.  Cotchery is an average #1 at best, while Stuckey and Clowny are below average #2 and #3 options.  Clowny only played in 2 games all of last year and only had 1 catch.  That's a far cry from T.O and Lee Evans.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

All that counts is the W in the win collum. No need for style points.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]Im not so sure it was game planning that caused all ot if. The Bills did pass more then run so thats some of it. I also watched the game again last night. The linebackers did a very poor job shedding blockers. They were being pushed 4 and 5 yards back from the point of contact. The linebacking play really concerns me this week against the Jets. They have two guys that can really attack our linebackers in Keller and Washington.
    Posted by Tnutts[/QUOTE]

I haven't renewed my subscription to NFL network yet so I didn't see the game again. I trust you though that the LBs were getting pushed around/couldn't shake their blocks. You're the first poster that's come out and said as much that I've read. I believe in the whole in BB we trust thing too but I'm sure he's trusting these guys to make some plays once in a while.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Concerned by defensive statistics from Bills game? : No disrespect to the Jets, but I have to disagree with you about the Jets WR's.  Cotchery is an average #1 at best, while Stuckey and Clowny are below average #2 and #3 options.  Clowny only played in 2 games all of last year and only had 1 catch.  That's a far cry from T.O and Lee Evans.
    Posted by RahZid[/QUOTE]

Cothery ran wild on this defense last year although everyone did. Maybe my memories are clouding my logic. I do think though that a better running game and stronger line makes these receivers better than they really are. Stuckey is good enough to torch an average defense that can't pressure the QB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Lucky for us we dont have an average D huh? Unless you can show me exactly where teh sky is falling?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Concerned by defensive statistics from Bills game? : I haven't renewed my subscription to NFL network yet so I didn't see the game again. I trust you though that the LBs were getting pushed around/couldn't shake their blocks. You're the first poster that's come out and said as much that I've read. I believe in the whole in BB we trust thing too but I'm sure he's trusting these guys to make some plays once in a while.

Buffalo ran a number of screens and our defense of it was terrible. We have got to improve it because the Jets OC is Brian Schottenhemier (remember his dad Marty "gee should I call a timeout" Schottenhemier from the great '06 playoff upset). Schottenhemier runs the smashmouth philosophy which means we see plenty more screens and runs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

we will stop the run, and put teh game on Sanchez to win it and he wont hack it. Belichick eats rookie QBs for breakfast.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]Lucky for us we dont have an average D huh? Unless you can show me exactly where teh sky is falling?
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

Well based on ESPN numbers for one game they look average to me.
    But then again Buffalo is an above average team right?

For passing
    RKTEAMATTCOMPPCTYDS
    12New England251560.0186

For rushing:
    RKTEAMATTYDSYDS/A
    20New England19904.7

Sections
Shortcuts