concerning the MVP award, difference between Tom and Vick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

concerning the MVP award, difference between Tom and Vick

Vick last night went out and wanted to play for the award.  Tom goes out and doesnt care about the award and just does his thing and plays.

Thats the difference and thats why Tom is the best QB in the game today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: concerning the MVP award, difference between Tom and Vick

Michael Vick/MVP 7

Brandon Merriweather/Pro Bowl 5

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

glad you started this post. didnt want to have like 5 freakin threads or somnething. the real difference is how HE played last nite. as the season gets into its more attritional part, vick is turning the ball over at a feverish pitch. he had 2 fumbles plus an interception (right after throwing a pass that should have been intercepted). i love vick on the field but he like peyton this year is simply not in tom terrific's stratosphere. vick had 3 turnovers playing at home that directly led to his team LOSING! tom does not make those plays if roles were reversed, and eagles win that game last nite. u know what to expect from tom and he often delivers. vick is stilll too much of a mortal...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: concerning the MVP award, difference between Tom and Vick:
    [QUOTE]glad you started this post. didnt want to have like 5 freakin threads or somnething.
    Posted by KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    Did you see the game last night?  #7 choked! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Brady deserved the award regardless of how Vick should have/did perform last night.

That said, I think there is a sound and well established reason why Vick is losing some of his mojo.  D coordinators are catching on, as they always do.  Our 2007 offense came out the gate really strong, but D coordinators eventually caught up to it and made it look more human; even if still good.  Miami made the Wild Cat all the rage.  They had some pretty good success with it when they first unveiled it.  How is it working now?  Yeah, same thing.  D coordinators caught on to it too.  The Eagles/Vick caught the NFL D's with their pants down, but that's probably over now.  He will likely look very human from here on out.  As one analyst said yesterday, with the exception of that famous half a quarter against the Giants, Vick really hasn't played all that well in a few games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to concerning the MVP award, difference between Tom and Vick:
    [QUOTE]Vick last night went out and wanted to play for the award.  Tom goes out and doesnt care about the award and just does his thing and plays. Thats the difference and thats why Tom is the best QB in the game today.
    Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]

Tom has earned it Vick has not. Vick is an amazing talent but stats alone show Tom is the MVP. That is the difference

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Tom is great and Vick is a felon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Vick should not qualify due to the fact he didn't play all the games. After losing last night I see the answer to Vick is pound him. I thought they staggered him. Vick looked pedestrian.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]Brady deserved the award regardless of how Vick should have/did perform last night. That said, I think there is a sound and well established reason why Vick is losing some of his mojo.  D coordinators are catching on, as they always do.  Our 2007 offense came out the gate really strong, but D coordinators eventually caught up to it and made it look more human; even if still good.  Miami made the Wild Cat all the rage.  They had some pretty good success with it when they first unveiled it.  How is it working now?  Yeah, same thing.  D coordinators caught on to it too.  The Eagles/Vick caught the NFL D's with their pants down, but that's probably over now.  He will likely look very human from here on out.  As one analyst said yesterday, with the exception of that famous half a quarter against the Giants, Vick really hasn't played all that well in a few games.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Good, insightful post here. The phenomenon you cite applies not only to new schemes like the Wild Cat but new quaterbacks, pitchers in baseball, hockey goaltenders and what not. But it is particularly true in football, where strategy is so crucial and D coordinators are paid to develop both novel and adaptive schemes. It will be interesting to see if Eagles O coordinator/QB coach come up with a counter scheme, as I still think Vick is a unique weapon--for example, they might design some plays that are specifically designed for him to run the ball to a designated area behind the LOS, which would allow for more complex, longer developing pass routes and give him a more unobstructed view of the field. Frankly, I am surprised that more O coordinators do not have this sort of scheme available, but apparently not many QB's are mobile enough to pull it off. Vick could and it would be fun to watch, though it might eventually be handled by the D as well as the Wild Cat is now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksilvia723. Show ksilvia723's posts

I haven't watched Vick, just highlights, until last night.   I found him to be reckless with the football and with his body.  A true MVP would not put the game or his health in jeapardy to show off his skills.  That is what I got from his performance last night.  He was so busy trying to impress with his "skills" he forgot to protect the ball and his body.  What did the great Michael Vick do to his dogs when they underachieved?????  Maybe someone should take him out back and show him!!  Sorry, can't forgive what he did.  Never will. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhtbfan. Show nhtbfan's posts

For me the defining difference between the two:  Vick declaring himself the MVP when asked by a reporter -- can you imaginge Tom EVER saying that??  He's still the ultimate team player and never declares himself as better at anything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Vick is an amazing talent but I not only put Brady above him in the MVP race, he is head and shoulders above Vick as a QB.

Here's a couple more factors:

Statistically speaking, Vick has been much less effective in cold weather throughout his career.  Not the best trait for a guy playing in the Northeast in Dec and Jan.

We've also seen Brady put up some great performances despite playing hurt.  We saw Vick at less than 100% the other night and it severely limited his effectiveness.  If he loses some of his ridiculous athleticism, he'll be an avg QB at best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

Even before the Minn game, Vick was not even close to Tom. He has more rushing yards and that's his only advantage. NFL QB is not required to run. In fact, the reason why Vick will not last in the NFL for more than 4-5 years is because he is running too much. Look at the average career for the running backs in the NFL: it's about 3 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Nothing has changed with Vick other than him having better WRs and a better team around him than he did in Atlanta.

He's a little better with passing, but overall he still tries to scramble, he'll continue to get hurt, etc.

Nice little media story and it makes the teenie boppers eyes bug out when his athleticism outshines his QB ability, but it's really his best year and it will be all downhill from here.

His 2010 will be like Favre's 2009.

An aberration.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

This shouldn't even be an argument.  The numbers between the two are ridiculously uneven.  Where are people coming up with Vick for MVP?  None of the numbers support it when compared to Brady.  Not even close in any offensive category. 

Comeback player of the year, maybe.  But Vick's not going to win the MVP. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Even before the Minn game, Vick was not even close to Tom. He has more rushing yards and that's his only advantage. NFL QB is not required to run. In fact, the reason why Vick will not last in the NFL for more than 4-5 years is because he is running too much. Look at the average career for the running backs in the NFL: it's about 3 years.
    Posted by Angel-of-Light[/QUOTE]

Except that he came into the league in 2001. This is his 8th year because he spent two in jail.

And it isn't MVQB who doesn't run. It is MVP - Most Valuable Player. While that may mean different things to some - the general disagreement is if it means he is the best player or that without him the team would not be where they are - I think it is pretty safe to say no one aside from you is arguing that rushing yards don't matter because QBs aren't required to run.

Seriously - I am not correcting you because I think Vick should be MVP. He shouldn't. I am correcting you because it seems like you think he is a rookie or something. 

I am just struck by the total absurdity of this post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]This shouldn't even be an argument.  The numbers between the two are ridiculously uneven.  Where are people coming up with Vick for MVP?  None of the numbers support it when compared to Brady.  Not even close in any offensive category.  Comeback player of the year, maybe.  But Vick's not going to win the MVP. 
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]
    I can understand the argument. You need two to compare and Vick has been playing well enough to make him a factor. What I don't understand is the conclusion that Vick is MVP after going through the comparison. That doesn't make sense to me. I think those who are saying Vick is MVP are pulling a Marshall Faulk - Yeah, TB's numbers are better, but I am going with Vick. (No Faulk didn't say that, but he does analyze and then conclude the opposite of what his analysis tells him.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]For me the defining difference between the two:  Vick declaring himself the MVP when asked by a reporter -- can you imaginge Tom EVER saying that??  He's still the ultimate team player and never declares himself as better at anything.
    Posted by nhtbfan[/QUOTE]

That is irrelevant as to whom is the MVP. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]This shouldn't even be an argument.  The numbers between the two are ridiculously uneven.  Where are people coming up with Vick for MVP?  None of the numbers support it when compared to Brady.  Not even close in any offensive category.  Comeback player of the year, maybe.  But Vick's not going to win the MVP. 
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Vick played last year and was never hurt, just a back up QB.

EJ Henderson and Welker's injuries and subsequent impact/production back from serious injuries so soon, to me, are clearly more impressive.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: concerning the MVP award, difference between Tom and Vick : Vick played last year and was never hurt, just a back up QB. EJ Henderson and Welker's injuries and subsequent impact/production back from serious injuries so soon, to me, are clearly more impressive.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I agree. Wikipedia does as well. Here is what was written there about the CPoY.

"The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

I am not sure why people think Vick should be considered.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I am not trying to pick on anyone here, but be careful with what the media feeds you.

Just because they clamor around promoting something or a team or a player or coach, etc, does not mean it's accurate or legitimate.

Think Spygate and how they use that as an opportunity to report incorrectly on that issue.  That's probably the best example a Pats fan can see with regards to this concept.

The media is used to make money. That's their first priority.

Mike Vick is really not "comeback" player worthy. He's had his best season since prison. Ok. Super.  

Congrats, Mike. We fully expect your ego to consume you and for you to fall again.

Vick's story is the media's wet dream. It doesn't mean he is an MVP or Comeback Player of the year.