Congrats to Drew Brees on breaking the record

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Congrats to Drew Brees on breaking the record

Speaking of classy, how about Drew Brees having a picture taken with his offensive line and the record-breaking game ball?  Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.  I'm also very partial towards the city of N'Awlins

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Re: Congrats to Drew Brees on breaking the record

I'm happy for Drew but I'm not impressed by him breaking the record...he plays in a dome & throws WAy more than any other NFL QB....his record will probably be broken in a year or two....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

49ers blowing out the Rams by half time, Brees taken out with 180 yards passing next week. Brady plays the whole game and throws for 375 against the Bills. Congratulations, Tom Brady on breaking Drew Brees 5 1/2 day old single season passing record!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

If Tom breaks it I want him to do it throwing for 500 yds like he did 1st game of the season....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Yes congrats, quite an achievement.

This is an earmark of a very flawed team, most teams that get in this neighborhood have an excellent QB and recievers, have a poor defense or a very bad running game or both.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

It's sick but I'm no Marino fan but it took him considerably less throws and he had 7 more TD's at the time too. Like Moss had 23 TD's that beat Rice 22...but that was in 12 freaking games. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Congrats to Drew Brees on breaking the record:
    [QUOTE]I'm happy for Drew but I'm not impressed by him breaking the record...he plays in a dome & throws WAy more than any other NFL QB....his record will probably be broken in a year or two....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my mouth, DMC. I couldn't agree with you more. There should be an asterisk placed by this record because Brees plays the majority of his games indoors...unlike Dan Marino and Tom Brady. To me, what Brady is doing this year is far more impressive.

Domed stadiums are just another Goodellian thing thats' ruining the game. Look at all the dome teams that are around now...Cowboys, Vikings, Lions, Saints, Falcons, Rams, Cardinals, Colts, and Texans. Please...no more domes. Goodell is the NFL's answer to the NBA's David Stern...and look at what Stern has done to that once great league.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

In response to "Re: Congrats to Drew Brees on breaking the record": [QUOTE]It's sick but I'm no Marino fan but it took him considerably less throws and he had 7 more TD's at the time too. Like Moss had 23 TD's that beat Rice 22...but that was in 12 freaking games.  Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE] Rice only had 1 TD reception in the following 4 games, the 1987 playoff game and the first three of 1988, so it isn't any more impressive than Moss, and the weather was better than the freezing cold of Foxboro, New York Buffalo and Baltimore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

im not really impressed he gets 11 indoor games this season and was still throwing the ball after games were long over all season long...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Not a fan of the Saints, well I should say their "fans" who came out of the woodwork in 2009, but congrats to Brees.  5k yards is just phenominal nomatter the circumstances or benefits of playing in a dome.  Well deserved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Good stuff...  Brees is a class act and a good guy all around. 

Yeah, Brady need about 180 to pass Marino and he also needs +190 to whateve Brees throws for next week.

I was thinking the same thing - if Brees sits because the 49ers are winning then Brady has a chance to break it too.  But yes, I would prefer him doing it by throwing for 500+ yards against the bills.

He threw for 497 last time I  think..... so its possible!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Statistically, if Brady had thrown 23 more passes he would be ahead of Brees. And that would still be 23 passes less than Brees has thrown.

190 yards between them. Tommy could still pull it off. Stranger things have happened.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Good, the league needed someone to fill the void Manning left of dome QB's who throw the ball 60 times a game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Congrats to Drew Brees on breaking the record :      You took the words right out of my mouth, DMC. I couldn't agree with you more. There should be an asterisk placed by this record because Brees plays the majority of his games indoors...unlike Dan Marino and Tom Brady. To me, what Brady is doing this year is far more impressive.      Domed stadiums are just another Goodellian thing thats' ruining the game. Look at all the dome teams that are around now...Cowboys, Vikings, Lions, Saints, Falcons, Rams, Cardinals, Colts, and Texans. Please...no more domes. Goodell is the NFL's answer to the NBA's David Stern...and look at what Stern has done to that once great league.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Never mind the domes... It's the rules.

The 2011 NFL is barely recognizable from the game played in the mid 80's.  

It's so much easier for a dome or non dome team to pass in today's nfl.  If D's were allowed to play by the rules of mid 80's NONE of these QB's would have the yardage that they do.

PS  If you can't admire Dree Bree's game... Your not much of an NFL fan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Congrats to Drew Brees on breaking the record :      You took the words right out of my mouth, DMC. I couldn't agree with you more. There should be an asterisk placed by this record because Brees plays the majority of his games indoors...unlike Dan Marino and Tom Brady. To me, what Brady is doing this year is far more impressive.      Domed stadiums are just another Goodellian thing thats' ruining the game. Look at all the dome teams that are around now...Cowboys, Vikings, Lions, Saints, Falcons, Rams, Cardinals, Colts, and Texans. Please...no more domes. Goodell is the NFL's answer to the NBA's David Stern...and look at what Stern has done to that once great league.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Never mind the domes... It's the rules.

The 2011 NFL is barely recognizable from the game played in the mid 80's.  

It's so much easier for a dome or non dome team to pass in today's nfl.  If D's were allowed to play by the rules of mid 80's NONE of these QB's would have the yardage that they do.

PS  If you can't admire Dree Bree's game... Your not much of an NFL fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

Apples to oranges.... In Marino's time defenses were allowed to mug recievers and QB's were not protected like today.

I'm not impressed with the inflated offensive stats of today...Brady included

Marino would have 8000 yards per season in today's game.
    He would carve up even they best defenses of today because defenses have been
    emasculated. 

Football was football back then.... I dunno what you'd call it today

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]49ers blowing out the Rams by half time, Brees taken out with 180 yards passing next week. Brady plays the whole game and throws for 375 against the Bills. Congratulations, Tom Brady on breaking Drew Brees 5 1/2 day old single season passing record!!!
    Posted by pauldeba[/QUOTE]
    and Brady will do it with fewer attempts and completions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]I'm happy for Drew but I'm not impressed by him breaking the record...he plays in a dome & throws WAy more than any other NFL QB....his record will probably be broken in a year or two....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]
    As I saw the Saints, obviously, passing in that last possession to set the record to go up on the Falcons 45 - 16, I thought..  they could have dialed it back and waited until the next game to set the record.  There was no critical need to have to do that in that game given the lead.  Also, If this had been the Pats, we would have seen HOWLS of running up the score and the Pats only doing it to set a record.  For the Saints and Brees, though, it is a love fest!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The real record will be Unitas' consecutive games with a td . Bree's is at 42 and needs 6 more games with a TD to surpass my record that many thought would never be surpassed. And yes playing in a dome with rules that aid the offense will help him achieve that record.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

Brees blows

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Congrats to Drew Brees on breaking the record": [QUOTE]Apples to oranges.... In Marino's time defenses were allowed to mug recievers and QB's were not protected like today. I'm not impressed with the inflated offensive stats of today...Brady included Marino would have 8000 yards per season in today's game. He would carve up even they best defenses of today because defenses have been emasculated.  Football was football back then.... I dunno what you'd call it today Posted by rxmsg[/QUOTE] Marino played in what is considered the modern era where the rule changes to help offenses that came out in 79 removed the mugging receivers. Really the rules haven't changed since then but all the fining hits and emphasizing rules have made passing easy every year since 03.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Brees deserves a lot of credit. He can't control playing in a dome, having more attempts, etc. He does what he is supposed to do and does it well. 

What is interesting other than his passing yards, is his completion % which is 70%, and the fact that his yards per attempt are actually less than Brady's.

If Brees wins another SB, he will be a HOF lock, plus entered into the "one of the best QBs of all time" discussions. Lets just hope it's not at the expense of the Pats. It's hard not to route for this guy. He is a class act and a credit to the NFL and his team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

To all the posters that claim: "not impressed".....are you for real?? Who cares how he acheived it? Brees is a class act, and is a great GB, period. What he accomplished won't be accomplished by too many. The record has stood for a long time. Rules changes or not, this guy deserves credit. To try and discredit this in any way is simply a classless response.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]To all the posters that claim: "not impressed".....are you for real?? Who cares how he acheived it? Brees is a class act, and is a great GB, period. What he accomplished won't be accomplished by too many. The record has stood for a long time. Rules changes or not, this guy deserves credit. To try and discredit this in any way is simply a classless response.
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]
    NO ONE is arguing Brees is not a quality QB who is HoF bound.  Many are attempting to put this record in perspective to the rules in play when Marino set it versus today.  Many sports records today are given some sort of perspective.  The NFL probably has the most difficult time due to the significance of rules changes compared to the "old days" and the plethora of domed teams.  Brees deserves all the credit in the world for setting this record.

Sections
Shortcuts