Congrats to the D

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Congrats to the D

they really only allowed 19 points all game and seven of them were on a dumb penalty when they recovered a fumble...they played well....just like 4 years ago, this game was lost on offense...14 and 17 points isnt going to win you many games

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I'm with you. Congrats to the whole team. This was very good season and there is a chance we'll be back next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

We might have disagreements Rusty, but I agree on this one. We shut down Tebow almost completely, Flacco made maybe 3 completions for more than 15 yrds, and this D played great football for nearly four quarters and in the end it took a huge play for the Giants to get momentum.

D--n  I wish that fumble had counted. I see the twelve men as a mental error by both players and coaching staff.

I can't be the only one that wonders what Ridley might have done. I guess BB and OB didn't want take the chance that he could fumble. Kid has potential, but ball security is paramount as RB for the Pats.

Also think we agreed that the Giants were capable of beating Green Bay.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the team really needs a playmaking receiver....welker and branch are awesome, but they arent deep threats or really playmakers....dwyane bowe or brandon lloyd would be a great addition

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Redsoxfan. I lot of chatter about the Patriots getting Lloyd this off-season. I think the Pats sign Welker and Gronk gets healthy. It was very clear Gronk was not healthy and when he isn't a defense can double Welker and give safety help on Hernandez. If Gronk is healthy than either Hernandez or Welker get into the throwing lanes....you can't double all three and both Gronk and Hernandez proved no LB can really cover them (Hernandez abused Boley almost the whole game). Still the Pats could draft a WR.

I heard about Lloyd rumors on yahoo sports, bleacher report and rotoworld; not always the most solid of sources, but still a fair amount of talk.

I think both Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Jackson are free agents (so is Tolbert) and I can't see the Chargers signing all three.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

That's the problem. They didn't come together at the end. I wish they had.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Congrats to the D:
    [QUOTE]Maligned all year, came together at the end and really were very good allowing 13 points until a Brady INT and a slew of missed plays by the offense. I couldn't expect much more than what they did.  Special tip of the cap to Pepper Johnson, the DB coach (forget who that is) and Patricia for holding the fort through all the injuries (two months worth), and especially for BB to being very wise and waiting on Spikes and CHhung so long to make sure they were ready for real. They deserve a ton of credit for rallying around one another and growing up in front of our eyes a bit from last year. BB has a really strong base of good young talent here to work from.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Yes, I liked how the allowed the Giants to score on 3 out of 4 second half possesions, averaged 7.1 yards per pass attempt, 5.6 yards per play and forced zero turnovers (after being first in the AFC at over 2 per game in the regular season). They were on the field with the game on the line and gave up their longest sustained drive of the whole game. That is awesome.

I like Chung and Spikes, the both have one season left before becoming free agents (as does Arrington). Ihedigbo started 12 games this year and is among 17 unrestricted FAs on the team. I do not believe Sterling Moore at CB and McCourty at FS is a good long term solution. It was a stop-gap plan that took hold during the season. There are some good young players on the d-line (Love, Deaderick, Pryor), but none of the have been consistent and Wilfork is now 31, the rest of the d-line, Warren, Ellis, Carter, Anderson could all be gone next season.

I think the LBs (particularly Mayo and Spikes) are the strength of the D. They need more consistent young d-linemen, and for the defensive backfield still needs help.

Don't get me wrong. I think the defense played a solid game, but the Patriots were outplayed and outcoached on both sides of the ball. Coughlin has beaten the Patriots three times in a row now using the same basic gameplan (disrupt Brady's timing, control the ball on offense, shorten the game in terms of number of possesions).

Watch the second half the yesterday's game again. After the score that made it 17-9, the Patriots were dominated on both sides of the ball (215 yards and 17:20 of possession to 98 and 8:17).

I think the Patriots played over their heads all year. They had a cake walk of a schedule through the second half of the season (after the second Jets game). Caught a easy first round playoff matchup with the Broncos upsetting the Steelers because of a hurt Roethlisberger, and got lucky in the AFC championship game (Evans should have held onto that ball - to me that was more about a terrible job protecting the football by him than Moore's great play - and Cundiff miss an easy FG to send it to OT).

The Giants showed that putting up crazy stats against bad teams in the regular season is meaningless come playoff time. You need to beat good teams. The Patriots beat one good team (the Ravens in AFC Championship) all year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Yes I was happy with the D

These games with the Ravens/Boys/9ers/Giants/Steelers/Houston
    have fewer possessions -75% of normal
    - so fewer points by both teams and will make really close games.
    - we have lost too many of them not to recognize
       the areas we need to get better

Our D is bend don't break
    which means they are susceptable to
    late game FG's to lose,
    and a bad end of game strategy

And it seems to me there is just too long they
    are on the field -

Our D, outside the DLine, is very young
    I like our Dline - especially if Carter is back
     - i question Love as a starter
    I like our LB's - alot
    We need an I-Ras? as a CB

There was only one long pass play - but it was a killer
    Herm Edwards said that the Safety (chung)
    lined up 2 yrds to far to the inside
    and was 2 yds late getting there

Mayo turned the wrong way on the TD pass
    Nink getting pulled OS by Eli

These are things A Bruschi or Mcginnest didn't do

But are we seeing a D that is like Pre 2001?

AND we didn't lose the game on D

We lost when we didn't stay on the field
    How many times going back to SB42 -
     if our O had just been able to
    stay on the field we win?

I called the game 24 to 20 and thats what it would have been
    if we hadn't had the INT or the Welker Drop or we had gotten one of
    those Fumbles - and of course no saftey

But I cannot really get on the Offense too much

Don't remember seeing  Int Grnd like that before - for the safety
    But once it was 10-9 we should have not looked back

With a 50% Gronk we had to make harder plays
    And our Offense cannot lose its number 1 playmaker
    (no matter what Colin Cowherd says =-who i like)
    ( and could his father please S***  up)

i think with a healthy Gronk we get to 24 pts
    or with a 2007 Randy Moss we get past 24pts
    And where was the no huddle????

We also have small playmakers on Offense
    We need some big fast guys somewhere
    We need a Ridley and Vareen to take over next year
    BJGE just doesn't have a second gear
    We need a deep threat
    I love Deon,Woody and Wes- but not as much as we get

Big Fast people will beat small fast people

Our Oline did pretty well - IF only a stud Center
    a Jeff Saturday for next year???

As Steve Young said - I have never seen any QB do more with less
    and he lost his best which -made the rest better
    TB is not the problem

And with all of that we still could have won

This wasn't as bad as SB42 -
    I still see us as rebuilding
    Only 7 players from 2007 !

This draft is going to be big!!
    Looking forward to all your guys commentary on the draft

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Congrats to the D:
    [QUOTE]they really only allowed 19 points all game and seven of them were on a dumb penalty when they recovered a fumble...they played well....just like 4 years ago, this game was lost on offense...14 and 17 points isnt going to win you many games
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

The truth

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Congrats to the D : So, since NE's offense turned it over, had a Safety, immediately putting the D back on the field before they can even look at Polaroids, NE scoring only 17 points is enough in your mind, in this era? The fact is, NY's run game was shut down int he second half, totally isolating the majority of NY's ability to do really much of anything, only securing two freaking FGs. You can plaster pointless yard stats that Tony Mazz and his moron minions pointed to all year long, but you lost that debate in the Baltimore game and last night. Yards allowed is pointless in this era.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Okay, forget the yards. They allowed points on three of four drives and more points in the second half than in the first. So they got WORSE as the game went along not better. Also, I am not sure if you realize it, but the defense was on the field with the lead. All it had to do was stop the Giants from scoring, and they could not do it.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

It was a great season, and the D far exceeded my early expectations. They are in good shape capwise and set up nicely for the draft. The D is young and will now be more experienced. They gave the Giants all they could handle in the biggest game of the year. Cant expect more than that. If Gronk was 100%, it might have gone differently...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Dude, we won't win jack squat with Brady here ever again unless BB and/or the OC reins him in. Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

not true. I'll admit TB is to blame for some of it, but he needs a couple more options at WR with speed. B'OB got rid of the one we had.

TB just needs to execute better too.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Congrats to the pats as it is more honorable to loss playing fair than it is to win by cheating

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Mostly agree. Rusty your views on the D were largely vindicated this postseason - kudos.

It would have been great if the D had been able to stop Eli on the final drive, but that catch was perfectly executed. 

"Yep. We're not winning SBs by scoring 14 or 17 points in this era."

I would argue we need to look to score 30 to win Super Bowls. Being at the mercy of close games makes for great theater but not for easy victories. 

Going into the Super Bowl, I felt the D had largely bailed out the offense in the Ravens game, and it was time for the offense to win one. Didn't happen. 

Disagree to a large extent on Brady...this game was to a good degree about Gronk's ankle, Gronk at 100 percent it's a different offense for the Pats. Having said that there is plenty of work to do, including whatever Ocho was supposed to bring to the table and more focus on the running game. 

Sadly I think the road to the Super Bowl will be tougher next year but you never know. 

Was a great season but obviously frustrating to relive the last Giants Superbowl, the similarities between the two were almost uncanny.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts