CONNOLLY AND OHRNBERGER WON'T CUT IT!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

CONNOLLY AND OHRNBERGER WON'T CUT IT!!!

Dan Connolly got beat like a drum

Then he left the game with an injured pride and Rich Ohrnberger proved that things could in fact get worse by failing to even make contact with Lions defensive linemen, whiffing on Charles Johnson repeatedly.

Right guard is a SERIOUS issue.  Right now the fastest path to hitting Brady is a straight line through Connolly and Ohrnberger.

And yes, Russ, we should have invested in a new right guard instead of Connolly.  Connolly is a great short yardage fullback and backup interior lineman, but as you have seen, he doesn't hold a candle against guys like Ndamakung Suh (or Gerald McCoy or Simone Pouha or any number of elite nose tackles and defensive tackles who the Patriots will face this season).  $9 million in cap space is wonderful, but it doesn't keep Brady upright in the pocket against an elite pass rush.

While everyone got beat, the right guard spot was epsecially bad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Re: RIGHT GUARD!!!

Anything else would be uncivilized! lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

if you read bruschi breakdown on the espn patriots blog, he mentions that connolly injured his ankle on the opening kick return

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: CONNOLLY AND OHRNBERGER WON'T CUT IT!!!

I have a feeling that game ball is going to get buried.  And WeDerr and McCrotchweasel will say that BB got the idea from Rex..............

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: RIGHT GUARD!!!:
    [QUOTE]if you read bruschi breakdown on the espn patriots blog, he mentions that connolly injured his ankle on the opening kick return
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]

He just got his j*ck strap handed to him, then left with an injury.

He's going to get *abused* by Justin Tuck (Giants), Jay Ratliff (Cowboys), Casey Hampton (Steelers), Sione Pouha (Jets), Richard Seymour (Raiders), [Cullen Jenkins (Eagles)] and Jamal Williams (Chargers)

And if he really is hurt, Rich Ohrnberger proved that he's literally barely better than not fielding a second guard at all, barely making contact most of the time before the guy across from him made a play in the backfield.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The thing that hurts is that you have to wonder, who's available? Is there anything out there? I'm not a big fan of tying up big money in our gurd position, but they have to do something. What kills them as well is that they traded up to get Rich Ohrnberger and he's been a complete bust. What did they see in this guy? Undersized guy that has been man handled since the minute he got here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: CONNOLLY AND OHRNBERGER WON'T CUT IT!!!:
    [QUOTE]The thing that hurts is that you have to wonder, who's available? Is there anything out there? I'm not a big fan of tying up big money in our gurd position, but they have to do something. What kills them as well is that they traded up to get Rich Ohrnberger and he's been a complete bust. What did they see in this guy? Undersized guy that has been man handled since the minute he got here.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I don't know how much cap space they have, but if they have $9 million as reported, I'll be disappointed if they didn't make a run at Baas or Yanda or Harvey Dahl (who along with Logan Mankins would play with requisite fire to stand up to guys like Suh who not only beat a lot of guys but try to get away with what they can after the whistle)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIGHT GUARD!!! : He just got his j*ck strap handed to him, then left with an injury. He's going to get * abused * by Justin Tuck (Giants), Jay Ratliff (Cowboys), Casey Hampton (Steelers), Sione Pouha (Jets), Richard Seymour (Raiders), [Cullen Jenkins (Eagles)] and Jamal Williams (Chargers) And if he really is hurt, Rich Ohrnberger proved that he's literally barely better than not fielding a second guard at all, barely making contact most of the time before the guy across from him made a play in the backfield.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Tuck is a DE and jamal williams is on denver. Ive been saying it since b4 we need another answer at rg i though mayb orenberger and thomas austin could try but i guess not we need a stop gap until cannon is redi next year what about matt light? also we need a guy with the fire of mankins. The guy who will protect his qb with fists  after the play against the cheapshotters oh suh and suggs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

as i recall the pass protection was pretty good last year and we wont have to see suh again

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIGHT GUARD!!! : Tuck is a DE and jamal williams is on denver. Ive been saying it since b4 we need another answer at rg i though mayb orenberger and thomas austin could try but i guess not we need a stop gap until cannon is redi next year what about matt light? also we need a guy with the fire of mankins. The guy who will protect his qb with fists  after the play against the cheapshotters oh suh and suggs
    Posted by Bspikes55[/QUOTE]

Tuck moves inside on passing downs to rush the passer and you better believe that if I saw the Lions film I'd be putting him over RG as a 3-tech

I'm hoping that Cannon will be an answer later this year, but that might be too much to ask.  Ohrnberger doesn't belong in the NFL.  Connolly might be serviceable until Cannon's ready, but you definitely have to compensate for him

Further proof for me that Stephen Neal was extremely underrated.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It all comes down to coaching and talent assessment.  Sometimes they miss badly on players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I'm not flipping out over the game as a whole

But there are specific problems that I don't see being resolved with the same personnel as the season progresses

One of these problems is Dan Connolly getting pwnd at RG

Another of these problems is the discontnuity at safety, which REALLY showed on the Lions' timing routes against the gaping holes in the Patriots' zones, while no two safeties have gotten significant time with the rest of the back seven to establish familiarity with each other.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIGHT GUARD!!! : He doesn't even play on that side of the line, unless they were to move Tuck, Seymour, et all over the other side of the line. Also, you are overreacting. Connolly sprained his ankle on the opening kick off, struggled, then was replaced. Finally, when you are trying to get reps in with a pass first offense no real gameplan, etc, and the other team is acting like it's the SB, I don't chalk that  up to Dan Connolly, who barely played. Ornberger clealry struggled, yes. If you want to get angry, ask why Logan Mankins just got 9 million a year to look as responsible as any O Linemen in the McDaniels shotgun/spread base. So, point to Bill O'Brien.  I have no issue with them seeing what they have with that in preseason, other than it being proven yet again that it's incredibly difficult to pass block when you are running 10+ yard routes against good or great front 7s. If this was a gameplanned situation where O'Brien wasn't calling well, being outcoached, etc, then sure, I would agree with your assessment. Agree on Stephen Neal. I have no idea who he didn't make Pro Bowls. Also, it may not hurt to see how Solder looks at RG on Thursday night if Connolly is still nursing the ankle. It's amazing how some fans flip out over a preseason game.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I didn't see Bill O'Brien playing right guard in this game.  There is an issue there whether you see it or not and it isn't O'Brien but that was one of your mantras last season as well.  If ignoring the obvious works for you, sobeit.
    The PATS are thin at guard, oh well.....

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Connolly held up pretty well last year and I expect that he can be part of the OL rotation at worst, with Solder, Cannon and others part of the rotation at some point.  I do agree about Ohrnberger, have not liked what I've seen from him.  Just like I was not overly excited when the Pats ripped the Jags and Bucs, I am not overly depressed about this loss. 

I know it's easy to point fingers and demand accountability.  If anything, this loss will be a learning moment for lots of the younger guys and it's a chance to reassess where the team is at for the coaches. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]You both were AWFULLY quiet about this supposed issue the prior 2 weeks.

A-friggin-men!!!!!!!!! Took the words right out of my mouth. So many of the people who are here complaining about how bad we are over ONE PRE_SEASON GAME, were no where to be found the first two weeks saying something about all these weaknesses. People just love to complain.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIGHT GUARD!!! : A-friggin-men!!!!!!!!! Took the words right out of my mouth. So many of the people who are here complaining about how bad we are over ONE PRE_SEASON GAME, were no where to be found the first two weeks saying something about all these weaknesses. People just love to complain.....
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

While it's certainly true that people do like to complain, most everybody who responded to the "biggest weaknesses" thread that was posted a week or 10 days ago agreed -- to some degree -- that the offensive line was a concern.

I'm of the opinion that this loss means little more than the impressive win over Tampon Bay . . .  in fact, as a wake-up call, I think it serves a more important purpose. People can say that any team that looks at what Detroit did will do this or that or the other thing to replicate the Lions' success against New England, but it's not as if the league didn't already know -- ever since New Jersey (blue) did it in the Super Bowl -- that the way to beat the Pats (or any team, really) is with straight pressure. The problem is that most teams don't have the personnel, and the combination of a monster elite guy (Suh) matched up against a pathetic dreg (Ohrnberger) tends to make the sky look like it's falling.

So . . .  yes . . .  the Pats do have weaknesses (although it's good to see Rusty beating his Bill O'Brien drum already, proving once again, that the more things change, the more they stay the same), but I'm not climbing out on the ledge just yet.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIGHT GUARD!!! : Why weren't you complaining about those who were predicting an undefeated season after a couple of preseason wins?
    Posted by McCheaters[/QUOTE]

Overzealous posters only do that to wind the trolls up.  They all know that it'll get a response from you, and rather than let it lie they like to tweak yer baws a bit.  Worked didn't it?!  They like to give you the business preemptively.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I had posted before that the Oline -Interior Right side
    Pass protection -was our biggest weakness -
    Not cause i know alot but because i heard it from a few
    Olineman on the tube.

We have lost a few of our games due to our Oline
    getting abused (even TB's lousy pass INT against the jets)

But in that Jets gamer it was more our receivers not getting open.

So what Offenseive scheme we do we use against these
    teams that bring pressure- this year Jets,giants,Dallas for a few)

Then i think of our TE's - I tend to think that when playing these
    teams we must utilize these match ups versus the D teams who don't
    bring pressure. I think maybe having a 3 TE set could do the job blocking
    - for the run or pass,

If we against Man to Man we my get big runs or big runs
      after the pass
    Against Zone our receivers must get to the open spot
      quickly. With the mismatches on our TE's we could
       get good chunks of yardage.

After seeing the first 2 preseaon games I thought taht
    BB had decided to go more smash mouth football on both
    sides of the ball -

At least that is what i think we need to do.

I also am afraid that we will not get the difference in Turnovers'
    that made the 14-2 season -
    I think we go 12-4 - If we play smash mouth we will be much
    better off in the post season.
    Home field could rest on our game with SD - and i much rather
    play SD here in Jan than in SD.

The Packers are the team that worries me most
    They are the only team that would be favored over the Pats
    in the SB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Preseason is about working on weaknesses, not relying on strengths.  

Intentionally or not O'Brien had Brady dropping back into 5 step drops, I would like to think it's because we were playing a great front and needed some work in that area.  

I've been very vocal about offensive game planning since Weis left and especially against aggressive/talented 4 man fronts, we tend to think we can run the same game plan against the Lions/Giants that we do Bengal's, it's been our glaring weakness since the last ring.  Combine that with a rebuilding defense and you get an early exit out of the playoffs year after year.

Leigh Bodden is not going to play in the slot this season, he plays in the slot during preseason because that is his weakness; smaller quicker receivers. 

Right guard isn't really an "issue," Connolly and the rest were decent enough last season to win all but two regular season games, moreover if you wanted to play your 5 best, we could shift Light over to guard and not skip a beat, even more impressive will be when 360 pound Cannon sets up at right guard than we will boast maybe the most impressive O line in the entire NFL.  The team played poorly last game, let's not overreact.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIGHT GUARD!!! : What?  Were they bad at RG last year? No. Another overreacting Pats fan. So be it. Maybe Solder gets some work there and then we see Cannon able to get some looks. Not buying this negative spin.  You both were AWFULLY quiet about this supposed issue the prior 2 weeks.

Russ,
    Plain and simple, we have some concerns on the interior of our line. Either we beef it up, or maybe O'Brien realizes Brady can't hold it for 6 seconds while our receiving corps gets open. We have been exposed here numerous times, and anytime we come up against superior DL's/front 7 like the Giants, Detroit, etc. where defensive players can win 1 on 1 battles with our OL, we get into trouble.
    I don't know what the key is here, or how we beat that, but we need to run to keep D's honest and set the pass up. We have beef, lets use it.

I'm not panicking as these are fixable and this is only preseason. But, we have also seen this issue creep up in the biggest of games, and we need to address it ASAP. I think Cannon is the medium-long term solution. That should lock down the RG spot opposite Mankins. We'll need a bigger and more physical center as well. Hopefully we can do this in next year's draft.